PDA

View Full Version : Piniella voted least popular manager, Ozzie second

Sockinchisox
06-30-2009, 12:22 PM
SI polled 380 players around baseball on managers they would least like to play for, Pinella came in first with 26% of the vote. Ozzie was second with 21% of the vote. Players on their current teams could not vote for their manager.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/06/piniella-voted-least-popular-manager-in-player-survey-.html

Lorenzo Barcelo
06-30-2009, 12:28 PM
SI polled 380 players around baseball on managers they would least like to play for, Pinella came in first with 26% of the vote. Ozzie was second with 21% of the vote. Players on their current teams could not vote for their manager.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/06/piniella-voted-least-popular-manager-in-player-survey-.html

Peavy better steer clear the north side team also.

asindc
06-30-2009, 12:30 PM

I really don't understand why either Ozzie or Pinella would be at the bottom of this list. The players would prefer Girardi?:scratch:

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Sometimes it's not about being popular, it's about being right.

06-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Sometimes it's not about being popular, it's about being right.

That is a load of crap. Ozzie knows what he is doing. Sometimes it just doesn't pan out the way he wants.

4% for Eric Wedge? He is garbage!

Big D
06-30-2009, 12:45 PM
I wonder who Nick Swisher voted for . . .

FiliusAndreas
06-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Notoriety is going to gain a manager more votes in this kind of thing, whether the votes are deserved or not.

jabrch
06-30-2009, 01:03 PM
I can't argue with any of those guys on the top of the list. Those are class acts who seem to garner respect. I would love to see a survey asking the players on a team IF they would want to play for their manager. I'd more like to know what our roster thinks of Guillen than what other teams do.

thedudeabides
06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
It's just perception. How many players have played for Lou or Ozzie, that have ended up hating them? I can think of a couple of White Sox guys, but it turned out their teamates weren't too big of fans of them anyways. Lou is softer than ever, so I don't know why this would come out now.(Maybe, Rob Dibble was campaigning :cool:)

Anyway, they have also both been in the headlines quite a bit lately. I think a lot of players are starting to become weary of the Chicago media.

beasly213
06-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Players don't want to play for Ozzie because he makes them account for everything they do. If they don't play up to Ozzies expectations he makes sure they and everyone else knows about it.

Being popular has nothing to do with being a good manager.

TDog
06-30-2009, 01:14 PM
A lot of players in the majors have played for Piniella. A lot of players have teammates who have played for Piniella. Guillen hasn't been managing as long, but the turnover on the White Sox since 2004 guarantees that the any reputation goes beyond what people pick up from ESPN. There are still players in baseball who were teammates of Guillen the player. With Guillen there also is the language issue. Guillen hasn't been around as long and has learned from some early mistakes in leadership from the last five years.

Such surveys are inherently unfair, though, and mean little. There may be players who can't separate the manager from the team or the city where he manages. There may be personal grudges rooted in behavior that wasn't the manager's fault.

I wouldn't worry about it.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-30-2009, 02:21 PM
That is a load of crap. Ozzie knows what he is doing. Sometimes it just doesn't pan out the way he wants.

I agree - I meant sometimes being right doesn't make you popular.

Noneck
06-30-2009, 03:48 PM
I would think that this could affect FA's. But it doesn't seem to affect FA's coming or wanting to go to the cubs. The Sox don't get many FA's so it won't affect them.

oeo
06-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Unless you play for the manager, how do you know for sure?

I can't wait to see Ozzie's response to this.

I would think that this could affect FA's. But it doesn't seem to affect FA's coming or wanting to go to the cubs. The Sox don't get many FA's so it won't affect them.

I doubt the manager is a big sticking point. Money and location far trump who they will play for. Again, until you actually play for someone, how do you know you will get along with them?

Domeshot17
06-30-2009, 05:46 PM
To me this makes a lot of sense. If you were a free agent, you base everything you know on what other members of the mlbpa say, and what you see in the media. So take out half the league that Ozzie has made fun of/said something dumb about/went to war with in the media or insulted their fan base. Most players from Cleveland Detroit Minnesota the Cubs the Royals etc will have a bad view of Ozzie. Players like Arod, few others, have been thrown under the bus. Players from Atlanta probably hear horror stories from Javy, it is no secret Garland and Ozzie were not close, People see the Sean Tracey stuff.

I am not saying OZzie is a bad manager, I like him just fine, I think he doesn't have the right team for his style, but I like him. But it is no secret Ozzie has his players, then he has his guys in the doghouse, and once you are in the doghouse, you really need to fight to get out. The guys who he loves, and who love playing for him, are here.

Also, finally, keep this stat in mind. Half the league, or roughly half, was polled. Out of that, 1 out of every 5 players thinks Ozzie is the worst manager to play for. That isn't that bad. 79% do not believe he is the worst. Which is almost what you would expect for a manager like Ozzie.

And yes, Players love Girardi. He was a standup, players player when he played, was known as a guy the players LOVED in Florida (so much that he was fired BECAUSE he was not scared to stand up to ownership for his guys IIRC). By all accounts the guys in NY love him.

MarkZ35
06-30-2009, 06:24 PM
380 players is only about half of the league. Maybe that means only 1/2 of the teams were polled. You couldn't vote for your own manager so maybe players just voted for a manager that maybe gave them a bad vibe. It's hard to believe Pinella in particular because it appears he lets his players do whatever they want but maybe some players don't like that.

doublem23
06-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Of course Kap and his clowns on CTL can't comprehend how Lou Piniella could finish last in this poll.

thedudeabides
06-30-2009, 07:49 PM
The top four managers that these players would not like to play for have all won a world series, and have won 8 overall. That says something about some of these players if you ask me. They may not be the easiest to play for, but they sure know what they're doing.