PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Speaks The Truth Again

Lip Man 1
06-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Joe Cowley (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1644640,white-sox-ozzie-guillen-cubs-062909.article) of the Chicago Sun-Times with an "interesting" read. Ozzie's at it again (and God knows, we love him for it!) Of course Ozzie wasn't around in the 1950's and through the mid 1960's so you have to cut him some slack. In those days very few cared about the Cubs, certainly not the fans and much of the media (with good reason too)

Lip

It's Time
06-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Augh! C'mon, Ozzie. Please don't start this "it's always going to be a Cubs town" crap. Why can't the White Sox just not say anything when it comes to the team up North.

****!:angry:

soxfan21
06-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Funny and yet somewhat true.

Rohan
06-29-2009, 11:55 PM
What a load of bull ****... I hate when he does this. Saying that the White Sox can NEVER rise above the Cubs. Bullocks...

FielderJones
06-30-2009, 12:05 AM
What a load of bull ****... I hate when he does this. Saying that the White Sox can NEVER rise above the Cubs. Bullocks...

Over 25 years of marketing by (essentially) the local media monopoly. Marketing costs contained by the stroke of a spreadsheet. The Sox might someday overtake the Cubs after they are separated from their parent company, but I don't expect that to happen in my lifetime. That's a lot of momentum to overcome.

chisoxfanatic
06-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Over 25 years of marketing by (essentially) the local media monopoly. Marketing costs contained by the stroke of a spreadsheet. The Sox might someday overtake the Cubs after they are separated from their parent company, but I don't expect that to happen in my lifetime. That's a lot of momentum to overcome.
I don't care if it does in my lifetime! We have our Soxess to always look back (and forward) to! They only have a crummy ballpark and a history of being losers.

Rohan
06-30-2009, 12:25 AM
I'll love them no matter where they stand in the popularity rankings with the north side.

But for Ozzie to make a statement with such a disgusting absolute is just obnoxious. One must think he's either being paid to be controversial or he was drunk!

I've been a believer in the whole theory of Ozzie grabbing the media's attention as a distraction from the players so that they can have time out of the spot light. But this is just completely uncalled for.

chisoxfanatic
06-30-2009, 12:40 AM
I've been a believer in the whole theory of Ozzie grabbing the media's attention as a distraction from the players so that they can have time out of the spot light. But this is just completely uncalled for.
Doesn't Ozzie usually only do that when things are going bad?

TornLabrum
06-30-2009, 08:46 AM
I interpreted what Ozzie said this way: "No matter what the Sox do, the Cubs organization has a superiority complex, and the press plays into it. Some idiot in the Cubs organization makes a baseless accusation against a Sox employee, and the press prints it even though there is no evidence pointing towards it being true. The local media drink Cubs Kool-Aid, and no matter what the Sox do, it's going to stay that way."

And you know what? He's right.

LITTLE NELL
06-30-2009, 09:07 AM
**** the Cubs, their fans, the Media, their ballpark their neighborhood and everything else about them. All I know is that since I was born in 1946 I've seen my team in 2 World Series, win a World Championship and have many more winning seasons than the Northsiders.
Eat your heart out; Cubs Nation.

FoulTerritory
06-30-2009, 09:10 AM
As evidence of how pervasive the media's role in this problem is: My ladyfriend and I are preparing for a trip to Rome, and she has been reading the Frommer's guide to touristing Rome. Just yesterday, I told her it would be interesting to see how reliable Frommer's is by checking out the Frommers book to touristing Chicago. The section about Chicago sports predicatably listed a Cubs game as a must-do event. But then it said when considering going to a Sox game to prepare for a "sterile" ballpark with a vertigo inducing upper deck that is located in a neighborhood that is a "blight." Bridgeport is a blight!

I mean, I understand telling tourists to go to a cubs game, but they don't have to also bash the Sox with a slew of 90's media stereotypes.

SOXSINCE'70
06-30-2009, 09:12 AM
I interpreted what Ozzie said this way: "No matter what the Sox do, the Cubs organization has a superiority complex, and the press plays into it. Some idiot in the Cubs organization makes a baseless accusation against a Sox employee, and the press prints it even though there is no evidence pointing towards it being true. The local media drink Cubs Kool-Aid, and no matter what the Sox do, it's going to stay that way."

Or, as Bill Murray reminded all his campers just before the summer camp olympics in "Meatballs", "It just doesn't matter!It just doesn't matter!":cool:

bigdommer
06-30-2009, 09:25 AM
I believe that most of Ozzie's comments about the Cubs were in a response to some media prodding about the lackluster attendance in the Dodgers series as compared to the Cubs series. I interpreted his comments as a defense of Sox fans, rather than a concession that the Sox are inferior. Although, in typical Ozzie fashion, he says way too much.

In a way, his rants work. Think about it, nobody is talking about the Dodgers attendance issue today, they are just talking about how crazy Ozzie is. Whether on purpose or not, Ozzie draws attention and criticism while deflecting it away from the issue at hand.

parlaycard
06-30-2009, 09:34 AM

Why do people care that the Cubs are more popular than the Sox, its the truth.

There are a lot of people who swithched who they root for when the SOx won in 2005. There are a lot of young kids who are now Sox fans because they saw them win.

To me, i could care less. I still laugh at every Cubs fan that brings up the attendance argument.

I saw Ozzie last week at a book signing in Downers Grove. I asked him to beat the Cubs. He told me "The Cubs suck"

He's right. Who cares how many fans they have.

TomBradley72
06-30-2009, 09:40 AM
I've always hated the defeatist attitude of "it's hopeless, we can never catch the Cubs in popularity...". Actually, they could, it just takes creativity and innovation, just like any business trying to gain market share. You find a way to work with the local neighborhood to spur development of bars/restaurants, etc. You create cool marketing campaigns that are consistently visible in the community year round (the last good campaign they had was in 2005, after that, progressively lamer each year). You also, do not consistently alienate your fan base from the early 70's to the late 90's with boneheaded moves like moving to UHF, then 44, then OnTV, threatening to move to Florida, building a crappy/sterile new ballpark, executing a white flag trade, etc. I think the White Sox have made significant inroads vs. the Cubs in the last 5 years, I'm surprised to still be hearing this stuff.

Plenty of ways to get the job done. In any company I've ever worked for, if I threw in the towel against my competition in my market, I'd be on the street.

With that said, the Cubbies and their fans can win all the "Popularity Trophies" they care to have. I'll take 2005, and our current ballpark/management team/fan base over all of them.

southside rocks
06-30-2009, 09:57 AM

Yes, he is right, and he's only articulating what many people who have grown up on the south side of Chicago know very well. The two sides of the city are perceived differently, and the baseball teams are part of that.

It's not whining, it's just ... the way things are.

34rancher
06-30-2009, 09:57 AM
I hope the Sox are NEVER that popular. I like being able to show up and get tickets to just about any game I want. I also like not having that big sweaty drunk meathead on my lap too. I like being able to sit with friends and family, stretch out and enjoy the company and atmosphere, not have to constantly be watching where is the beer going to be spilled on me, when is the guy with the hose going to spray me, and what kind of brutal language will my nephews/nieces have to listen to (I don't sit that close to Ozzie either :rolleyes:).
I could care less about popularity. I learned my lesson about it from high school, the most popular ones end up being the biggest losers in the long run. I also learned that I enjoy modern ammendities more than troughs too.

thedudeabides
06-30-2009, 10:06 AM
I've always hated the defeatist attitude of "it's hopeless, we can never catch the Cubs in popularity...". Actually, they could, it just takes creativity and innovation, just like any business trying to gain market share. You find a way to work with the local neighborhood to spur development of bars/restaurants, etc. You create cool marketing campaigns that are consistently visible in the community year round (the last good campaign they had was in 2005, after that, progressively lamer each year). You also, do not consistently alienate your fan base from the early 70's to the late 90's with boneheaded moves like moving to UHF, then 44, then OnTV, threatening to move to Florida, building a crappy/sterile new ballpark, executing a white flag trade, etc. I think the White Sox have made significant inroads vs. the Cubs in the last 5 years, I'm surprised to still be hearing this stuff.

Plenty of ways to get the job done. In any company I've ever worked for, if I threw in the towel against my competition in my market, I'd be on the street.

With that said, the Cubbies and their fans can win all the "Popularity Trophies" they care to have. I'll take 2005, and our current ballpark/management team/fan base over all of them.

The Cubs have a huge national following, which leads to a lot more casual fans. That's where it would take decades to catch up. The Sox have been smart in trying to cater to young fans, so they can keep them for a lifetime. Barring an incredible run of success, the Sox aren't passing the Cubs fanbase anytime soon. And you know what, I don't care. I don't want an oboxious national following. I don't want the media making excuses for everything, and passing the blame. I don't want to be known for our "awesome" fanbase and losing ways.

And Ozzie was really just trying to stick up for the clubhouse employees. I think he was just insinuating the Cubs don't get called out for their actions, like the Sox do. They were just playing pass the blame on this one.

The Sun-times writers have also claimed it was the trib stirring up this controversy, over sour grapes that they got beat on the story.

Windy City
06-30-2009, 11:53 AM
The White Sox will never catch the Cubs in terms of local or nationally popularity unless the Sox go on a major binge of winning World Series. Being a Cubs fan, I really don't care one way or the other and I have lived on the South Side all my life. I am the only one in my family who is a Cubs fan, and Sox fans do have an inferiority complex. Trust me.

Cubs fans rarely care about the Sox at all or talk about them as much.

That mentality was perfectly displayed last season when both teams made the postseason, but the Sox were the only Chicago team to win one game. A lot of Sox fans were more happy to take one game and lose the series to Tampa and see the Cubs get swept by the Dodgers.

It really trips me out when I am driving on the Dan Ryan and see the big sign on the outside of the U.S. Cellular Field that reads: "HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS."

I'm like "that was soooo four years ago, and I wonder if that sign will stay up there if the Sox don't win another one in the next few years?"

I understand it. You guys deserve it.

Risk
06-30-2009, 11:57 AM
The White Sox will never catch the Cubs in terms of local or nationally popularity unless the Sox go on a major binge of winning World Series. Being a Cubs fan, I really don't care one way or the other and I have lived on the South Side all my life. I am the only one in my family who is a Cubs fan, and Sox fans do have an inferiority complex. Trust me.

I call bs to this qoute, especially that which is in bold.:rolleyes:

Risk

The Immigrant
06-30-2009, 11:58 AM

That's such a tired cliche, but you keep telling yourself that buddy. Whatever makes you feel better. I'm glad you noticed the banners. We posted them to annoy Cub fans.

Moses_Scurry
06-30-2009, 11:58 AM
It really trips me out when I am driving on the Dan Ryan and see the big sign on the outside of the U.S. Cellular Field that reads: "HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS."

I'm like "that was soooo four years ago, and I wonder if that sign will stay up there if the Sox don't win another one in the next few years?"

I'm fairly certain that if the cubs ever do win a world series, that sign will be up forever.

cards press box
06-30-2009, 11:59 AM

He is right. The local media can only be described as wildly dysfunctional. Ever see a family where one child can do no right and another child can do no wrong? That, folks, is what we have here with the media playing the role of biased parent and the Sox and Cubs as the "do no right" and "do no wrong" children, respectively.

**** the Cubs, their fans, the Media, their ballpark their neighborhood and everything else about them. All I know is that since I was born in 1946 I've seen my team in 2 World Series, win a World Championship and have many more winning seasons than the Northsiders.
Eat your heart out; Cubs Nation.

Now that's the spirit!

asindc
06-30-2009, 12:03 PM

That mentality was perfectly displayed last season when both teams made the postseason, but the Sox were the only Chicago team to win one game. A lot of Sox fans were more happy to take one game and lose the series to Tampa and see the Cubs get swept by the Dodgers.

The bolded part of your post should read, "Cubs fans like to pretend that they rarely care about the Sox at all or talk about them as much."

Just as they like to pretend they don't lurk on these message boards.

kittle42
06-30-2009, 12:11 PM
The bolded part of your post should read, "Cubs fans like to pretend that they rarely care about the Sox at all or talk about them as much."

This has been the truth since 2005. Prior to that, I would have agreed that Sox fans cared more about the Cubs than Cubs fans about the Sox. That is no longer the case. It has gotten worse each year, oddly.

cards press box
06-30-2009, 12:11 PM

I suppose, then, that I am hallucinating when I walk across the street from Wrigley and see all of the "Sux" or "Sox Suck" shirts. Apparently, those shirts don't exist despite the fact that I have seen Cub fans wearing them.

I have longtime friend and former classmate who is a diehard Cub fan and who always told me that to him the Sox were just another team, like the Baltimore Orioles or the San Diego Padres. After the 2005 World Series, he told me that the Sox championship really bothered him.

"Wait a minute," I said, "weren't the Sox no different than the Orioles or Padres?"

"Apparently not," he replied.

TornLabrum
06-30-2009, 12:31 PM
I guess some Cubs fans must care about the Sox. How else can you explain Cubs fans wearing Cubs caps and jerseys at the Cell say for example during a Sox-Angels game.

Or are those people just *******s?

soxpride724
06-30-2009, 12:36 PM
I guess some Cubs fans must care about the Sox. How else can you explain Cubs fans wearing Cubs caps and jerseys at the Cell say for example during a Sox-Angels game.

Oh, you mean the same "fans" that show up to root against the Sox?

Losers.

spawn
06-30-2009, 12:37 PM

Probably a little of both.

voodoochile
06-30-2009, 12:39 PM

Want to clarify a few things...

1) This post crosses the line into trolling. We don't allow trolling. Don't bother to debate it if you want to continue posting here.

2) I strongly disagree with your statement about flubbie fans not caring about the Sox. We get inundated with join requests from flubbie fans every year around the crosstown series time. If one or two slip through, they often are nothing but trolls.

3) So 4 years ago? This from a fan of a team that sells 1908 shirts in massive quantities to their sheep fans?

4) You should get down on your knees and beg your father's forgiveness. Leaving the Sox to root for the flubs is like well... like nothing I can really think of since no other team in the world has gone as long without a championship as the flubbies have. Australia had a beter run in the America's Cup yacht races, not that that says much...

voodoochile
06-30-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm fairly certain that if the cubs ever do win a world series, that sign will be up forever.

They are still celebrating 1908 of course it will...

SCCWS
06-30-2009, 12:47 PM
I hope the Sox are NEVER that popular. I like being able to show up and get tickets to just about any game I want. I could care less about popularity. I learned my lesson about it from high school, the most popular ones end up being the biggest losers in the long run. I also learned that I enjoy modern ammendities more than troughs too.

That is dumb. It is fine to not be concerned with what the Cubs vs White Sox draw. But attendance is critical for a team to maintain success. Teams like the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers Cubs, Phillies, Mets etc are able to afford and attract the big time free agents. The White Sox are forced to uses trades to stay competitive. It would be great to hear one of the big name free agents say they want to come to the south side instead of Boston or New York.
I think that is why the Tampa Rays success last year was so great. They were able to build a successful team w/o the ability to draw fans. But now they are struggling to keep it going and most likely their young players will head north as free agency arrives.

spawn
06-30-2009, 12:52 PM

Better than a sign reading "Home of the 1908 World Champions." :shrug:

Hitmen77
06-30-2009, 01:32 PM
:bs:

I won't go on too much about this since others have already made good points about why this is b.s. I'll just say it seems to me that Cub fans really like to shoot their mouths off whenever they beat the Sox in Crosstown games. I thought they didn't care about the Sox.

Huh? That doesn't make any sense. So, Sox fans were happy they won a game in the playoffs and that the Cubs got swept....so this proves that Sox fans care more about Cubs losing than Sox winning????:nuts:

How about the truth: After having to put up with Cub fans and the local media boasting since APRIL of last year that it was "their season" and that the Cubs were practically a shoe-in for the pennant (remember "It's Gonna Happen"?:rolleyes:) and being told ALL SEASON LONG that the Sox were underperforming losers who will not make the playoffs, it was gratifying to see the underrated Sox at least win a game vs. the eventual AL champs while the overrated Cubs once again showed their true colors in the end.

kittle42
06-30-2009, 01:41 PM
How about the truth: After having to put up with Cub fans and the local media boasting since APRIL of last year that it was "their season" and that the Cubs were practically a shoe-in for the pennant (remember "It's Gonna Happen"?:rolleyes:) and being told ALL SEASON LONG that the Sox were underperforming losers who will not make the playoffs, it was gratifying to see the underrated Sox at least win a game vs. the eventual AL champs while the overrated Cubs once again showed their true colors in the end.

It's Gonna Happen was the greatest slogan ever.

kobo
06-30-2009, 02:06 PM
1. Cubs fans rarely care about the Sox at all or talk about them as much.

2. It really trips me out when I am driving on the Dan Ryan and see the big sign on the outside of the U.S. Cellular Field that reads: "HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS."

1. Then why are you, a Cubs fan, posting on a White Sox message board??

2. How different is that than the sign outside Wrigley letting the world know the last time the Cubs won the division, the pennant, and the World Series?

soxgirl617
06-30-2009, 02:07 PM
It's Gonna Happen was the greatest slogan ever.

Oh, so so true! It happened, all right: Cubs were swept out of the playoffs, after holding a lead in just three innings out of 27 innings. I kept telling my Cub fan friends "it's gonna happen, all right, just not what you think."

BTW, "It's Gonna Happen" is terrible grammar.

TommyJohn
06-30-2009, 02:13 PM

I won't go on too much about this since others have already made good points about why this is b.s. I'll just say it seems to me that Cub fans really like to shoot their mouths off whenever they beat the Sox in Crosstown games. I thought they didn't care about the Sox.

Huh? That doesn't make any sense. So, Sox fans were happy they won a game in the playoffs and that the Cubs got swept....so this proves that Sox fans care more about Cubs losing than Sox winning????:nuts:

VERY well stated.

TornLabrum
06-30-2009, 02:30 PM

Probably for the same reason he shows up at the Cell wearing his Cubs cap and jersey during a Sox-Angels game.

2. How different is that than the sign outside Wrigley letting the world know the last time the Cubs won the division, the pennant, and the World Series?It's different because it's outside Wrigley, so that must be okay.

Hitmen77
06-30-2009, 03:19 PM
I think Ozzie should get over the "this will always be a Cubs town" crap. It's probably true, but so what? IMO, the Sox have made dramatic advances in this market since 2005. So much so, that we don't need to worry about the Cubs being entrenched at the top of market share.

That being said, the one thing I agree is worth mentioning in the article is the Cubs and Cubs fans' superiority complex over the Sox. OMG, that is so true. As with any rivalry, I expect Cub fans to hate Sox fans and vice versa. But the condescension of fans of a team with a 100 year title drought toward a team that recently won the World Series is just unbelievable.

As evidence of how pervasive the media's role in this problem is: My ladyfriend and I are preparing for a trip to Rome, and she has been reading the Frommer's guide to touristing Rome. Just yesterday, I told her it would be interesting to see how reliable Frommer's is by checking out the Frommers book to touristing Chicago. The section about Chicago sports predicatably listed a Cubs game as a must-do event. But then it said when considering going to a Sox game to prepare for a "sterile" ballpark with a vertigo inducing upper deck that is located in a neighborhood that is a "blight." Bridgeport is a blight!

I mean, I understand telling tourists to go to a cubs game, but they don't have to also bash the Sox with a slew of 90's media stereotypes.

Unless that Guide is about 10 years old, that's pretty bad. It sounds like it was written by someone who has either never been to the Cell or hasn't been there in 15 years. The thing is, I expect those kind of guides to give visitors useful tips - not just spew common stereotypes. Do people really need to pay money for a tourist guide to direct people to a place that everyone already knows about (Wrigley)?

I saw a similar example recently at a gift shop at one of Chicago's museums. It was a guide for taking grandkids places in Chicagoland. They listed Wrigley Field and said (paraphrased) "sorry Sox fans, but taking your grandkids to Wrigley Field is a must". Really? With all the kid-friendly features at the Cell (Fundamentals Deck, Kids Days, wide concourses, ample bathrooms, on-site parking, "rain room", fireworks nights), people need to buy a guide to tell them to take their kids to Wrigley? Yeah Gramps, please take Kaitlyn and Connor to see a bunch of drunken fans throw trash on the field and then swing by Murphys with the little ones after the game!

Frater Perdurabo
06-30-2009, 04:05 PM
I saw a similar example recently at a gift shop at one of Chicago's museums. It was a guide for taking grandkids places in Chicagoland. They listed Wrigley Field and said (paraphrased) "sorry Sox fans, but taking your grandkids to Wrigley Field is a must". Really? With all the kid-friendly features at the Cell (Fundamentals Deck, Kids Days, wide concourses, ample bathrooms, on-site parking, "rain room", fireworks nights), people need to buy a guide to tell them to take their kids to Wrigley? Yeah Gramps, please take Kaitlyn and Connor to see a bunch of drunken fans throw trash on the field and then swing by Murphys with the little ones after the game!

Don't forget the hard hats to protect against the falling concrete.

My brother-in-law is a die-hard Twins/Vikings fan, as he is from Minnesota. So he truly dislikes the Sox. But he went to a Cubs game in 2007 for a bachelor party, and based on that visit agrees that the Urinal is a dump.

ewokpelts
06-30-2009, 04:23 PM
I believe that most of Ozzie's comments about the Cubs were in a response to some media prodding about the lackluster attendance in the Dodgers series as compared to the Cubs series. I interpreted his comments as a defense of Sox fans, rather than a concession that the Sox are inferior. Although, in typical Ozzie fashion, he says way too much.

In a way, his rants work. Think about it, nobody is talking about the Dodgers attendance issue today, they are just talking about how crazy Ozzie is. Whether on purpose or not, Ozzie draws attention and criticism while deflecting it away from the issue at hand.ozzie's response to teh dodger attendance:
"sox fans arent stupid. they know we stink"

ewokpelts
06-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Cub fans love to whoop and holler when they get the lead in teh crosstown classic, but if they are LOSING, and you happen to be waving an L flag they get mad and say "i'm trying to watch the game".

spawn
06-30-2009, 04:40 PM
True story from the most recent Cubs/Sox series. A co-worker and I were talking (he's a Cubs fan) and he brings up the series. I told him I'm not into it like I use to be. he says he isn't either, becasue his team stinks. those were his words. After the Sox won the first game, I didn't say anything to him. i didn't rub it in, I didn't mention the game at all...nothing. After Sox blew that 5 run lead in the second game, I get an IM from him exclaiming what an "impressive comeback it was for the northsiders." I told him I didn't mention the game the day before. He says it's because he was at home when the game ended. I told him I hadn't mentioned it that day at work either. He goes on to say how he loves when the Cubs beat the Sox. This from someone who supposedly wasn't into the series.I told him the only thing I was pissed about was the Sox losing ground to Minnesota and Detroit because of the loss. I then told him that like a typical Cubs fan, he had no class. So when this series ended, I said...nothing. I haven't mentioned it. As I told him, I'm not all that into it anymore. Besides the Sox winning another series, the thing that makes me happiest about them beating the Cubs is not having to listen to Cubs fans rejoicing as if they'd just won the World Series.

Hitmen77
06-30-2009, 04:53 PM
True story from the most recent Cubs/Sox series. A co-worker and I were talking (he's a Cubs fan) and he brings up the series. I told him I'm not into it like I use to be. he says he isn't either, becasue his team stinks. those were his words. After the Sox won the first game, I didn't say anything to him. i didn't rub it in, I didn't mention the game at all...nothing. After Sox blew that 5 run lead in the second game, I get an IM from him exclaiming what an "impressive comeback it was for the northsiders." I told him I didn't mention the game the day before. He says it's because he was at home when the game ended. I told him I hadn't mentioned it that day at work either. He goes on to say how he loves when the Cubs beat the Sox. This from someone who supposedly wasn't into the series.I told him the only thing I was pissed about was the Sox losing ground to Minnesota and Detroit because of the loss. I then told him that like a typical Cubs fan, he had no class. So when this series ended, I said...nothing. I haven't mentioned it. As I told him, I'm not all that into it anymore. Besides the Sox winning another series, the thing that makes me happiest about them beating the Cubs is not having to listen to Cubs fans rejoicing as if they'd just won the World Series.

This is exactly why I hate the Sox-Cubs series. If the Sox win, I'm glad for the Sox win in terms of their standing in the AL Central and I don't gloat. If the Sox lose, all the Cub fans who supposedly don't care about the Sox come out to rub it in and shoot their mouths off.

....and when the Sox win, the Cubs themselves are often classless about it. Punching AJ, drilling our hitters, blaming their internal strife on Sox clubhouse staff, etc.

chisoxfanatic
06-30-2009, 05:07 PM
If I ever have children, they will not be allowed to set foot in Wrigley until they are out of the house! It is the last place to take children! There is no "family" atmosphere there. I'd be scared to have my children exposed to the frat party life they glorify there.
Did you also ask him what it feels like to see his team win the World Series?

Windy City
06-30-2009, 06:27 PM

2. How different is that than the sign outside Wrigley letting the world know the last time the Cubs won the division, the pennant, and the World Series?

1. Because I can, and there is no rule that only White Sox fans can post on a White Sox message board.

2. Oh, that is so stupid as well. I have said it to people that it makes no sense to keep a running tab of how long it is been since the Cubs won the World Series. It is accepting being a loser. Isn't that what the team has said it does not want to be?

Windy City
06-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Probably for the same reason he shows up at the Cell wearing his Cubs cap and jersey during a Sox-Angels game.

Oh, good one. I don't wear a Cubs cap to said Sox game. I wear a Bears hat. I am scared a drunken White Sox fan might run over to the aisle I am sitting in a beat me up like Tom Gamboa if I was not wearing black.

Windy City
06-30-2009, 06:35 PM

So, why does it matter if the media boasts about the Cubs and not the Sox? As long as you like the Sox and think they are a good team, then it should not matter what the media says.

voodoochile
06-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Oh, good one. I don't wear a Cubs cap to said Sox game. I wear a Bears hat. I am scared a drunken White Sox fan might run over to the aisle I am sitting in a beat me up like Tom Gamboa if I was not wearing black.

Na na na na...
Na na na na...
Hey hey hey..
Good Bye...

Stupid troll, WSI is for smart fans...

RANDY WILES
06-30-2009, 06:45 PM
excellent post you are exactly correct.

As a 20 year south sider, I cringe at Ozzie's comments as this is the kind of talk that re-enforces the Northsiders negative stereotyping of the South Sdie.

Johnny Mostil
06-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Na na na na...
Na na na na...
Hey hey hey..
Good Bye...

I look forward to WC starting a board for Cub fans who don't care about the Sox to discuss the Sox . . .

asindc
06-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Na na na na...
Na na na na...
Hey hey hey..
Good Bye...

Well, my over/under for his sticking around was 25 posts. Pretty much on the mark. Never understood trolls.

MarySwiss
06-30-2009, 07:31 PM

This is exactly why I hate the Sox-Cubs series. If the Sox win, I'm glad for the Sox win in terms of their standing in the AL Central and I don't gloat. If the Sox lose, all the Cub fans who supposedly don't care about the Sox come out to rub it in and shoot their mouths off.

....and when the Sox win, the Cubs themselves are often classless about it. Punching AJ, drilling our hitters, blaming their internal strife on Sox clubhouse staff, etc.

I have a friend who is a diehard Tribe fan. Since he's a friend and I guess he's suffering enough, I said nothing to him about yesterday's game. But I will GUARANTEE that if the Sox lose tonight, I'll get one of those "Na-na-hey-hey-goodbye" e-mails from him tomorrow!

34rancher
06-30-2009, 10:27 PM
That is dumb. It is fine to not be concerned with what the Cubs vs White Sox draw. But attendance is critical for a team to maintain success. Teams like the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers Cubs, Phillies, Mets etc are able to afford and attract the big time free agents. The White Sox are forced to uses trades to stay competitive. It would be great to hear one of the big name free agents say they want to come to the south side instead of Boston or New York.
I think that is why the Tampa Rays success last year was so great. They were able to build a successful team w/o the ability to draw fans. But now they are struggling to keep it going and most likely their young players will head north as free agency arrives.
Big time free agents? Which one of those has helped a team win a world series in the last decade? I go to games for my enjoyment. What you fail to realize is that EVERY major league team this year had already broken even before ticket number one was sold. The revenue from TV, merchandising, and the CBA makes sure of that. As for the Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, and Mets how has the attendance thing worked out for them in the last decade? I see no rings. As for the phillies, their new stadium is what led to their attendance. Boston? Well after how many years did they finally win? They are a good club, but it was not because of attendance. Stop thinking that it truly matters as much as you think it does.

Viva Medias B's
06-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Those of you who were listening to Boers & Bernstein around 4:45 this afternoon got a preview of this, but Ozzie made even more comments about the Cubs and Wrigley Field today to Joe Cowley.

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1646040,ozzie-guillen-white-sox-cubs-manage-063009.article)

Hitmen77
06-30-2009, 11:52 PM
So, why does it matter if the media boasts about the Cubs and not the Sox? As long as you like the Sox and think they are a good team, then it should not matter what the media says.

I know you're not around anymore to read this, but you're changing the subject. First you accused Sox fans of caring more about the Cubs losing than the Sox winning a game (or something like that:?:) in the playoffs last year.

Now that I called BS on that, you're trying to turn this into a "why don't Sox fans just ignore the media" argument.

.....and it's not just the media. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the media. Like I said in the first place, it was also many Cub fan acquaintances (I didn't say all, but many) that some of us had to deal with all season last year who were shooting their mouths off starting in April that the Cubs were pennant bound (aka, It's Gonna Happen). I'm sorry, but those clowns got their well deserved comeuppance.

TommyJohn
07-02-2009, 02:10 PM

I love how this joker just had to go there. I am surprised that, given Cub fans' own sorry-ass track record of fan behavior (going after relief pitchers, trashing the field, heaping racial abuse on black players, harrassment and threats against Bartman) he had the utter gall to do so.

JC456
07-02-2009, 02:52 PM
IMO, It is many Cub fans objective to intice a meaningless argument. It can be attendance, trolling with meaningless drab, or saying "my guy is better than your guy". It is amazing how many Sox fans engage them. They laugh out loud for getting to you. Then they play with you by keeping it going. Much like PeeWee Herman, "I know you are, but what am I"

I no longer have baseball discussions with Cub fans.:bandance:

kittle42
07-02-2009, 03:28 PM
IMO, It is many Cub fans objective to intice a meaningless argument. It can be attendance, trolling with meaningless drab, or saying "my guy is better than your guy". It is amazing how many Sox fans engage them. They laugh out loud for getting to you. Then they play with you by keeping it going. Much like PeeWee Herman, "I know you are, but what am I"

I no longer have baseball discussions with Cub fans.

Excellent call, man. You can't let yourself be lured into stupid arguments by idiots with sterotypical comments.

wassagstdu
07-02-2009, 05:20 PM
... You also, do not consistently alienate your fan base from the early 70's to the late 90's with boneheaded moves like moving to UHF, then 44, then OnTV, threatening to move to Florida, building a crappy/sterile new ballpark ...

It will take more than a generation for the Sox to live down the damage that was done by taking them off WGN. A monumental mistake. Many in my family switched to the Cubs and never returned.

As for the "sterile" new ballpark, I suppose that is to contrast it with the septic Wrigley. Sox park was and is a first rate park that was trashed in order to build up the mystique of Wrigley.