PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/29 "Sox Back to .500!" Postgame Thread

chisoxfanatic
06-29-2009, 08:50 PM
It was made interesting in the end, but a win is a win!

Well done, Gavin!

Viva Medias B's
Discuss.

soxnut1018
3 in a row!:bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

chisoxfanatic
06-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Beatcha by a few seconds, Viva. :cool:

jej254
.500!

Zakath
Didn't think we were going to need the 4 spot in the top of the ninth, but thank God we had it...

Rikirk
Somebody...anyone...PLEASE tell me why we need the late inning hystrionics.

Cant we just step on their neck and finish the enemy at the end of the game...

Jeeze O' pete...

Frater Perdurabo
I'm never going to complain about a win. But I do have a few nitpicks: I don't like bringing in Dotel in the ninth. And I didn't like a certain starting lineup decision.

drewcifer
06-29-2009, 08:52 PM
This BP is scaring the **** out of me. 3 ERs, 2 pitchers, in 1 1/3.

Beckham awesome tonight.

doublem23
06-29-2009, 08:53 PM
38-38.

:cool:

BadBobbyJenks
Gavin Floyd with a 1.39 era in his last 8 starts.

Nice trade Indians, you got yourself a real life wild thing. (Has anyone else been having a little too much fun with their Cubs fan friends about Derosa going to the Cardinals?)

We got 6 easy ones ahead of us, lets take at least 5. :gulp:

chisoxfanatic
I'm never going to complain about a win. But I do have a few nitpicks: I don't like bringing in Dotel in the ninth. And I didn't like a certain starting lineup decision.
I don't understand why Thornton was pulled.

drewcifer
06-29-2009, 08:54 PM

Why does he insist on scoring every inherited runner?

And yeah, I'd have rather seen Anderson in too.

infohawk
Didn't think we were going to need the 4 spot in the top of the ninth, but thank God we had it...
It always hard to speculate on what might have happened if Bad Bobby Jenks came in to save a 2-0 game. The game might have ended 2-0.

SoxFan1979
Great game by Gavin and http://www.google.com.mx/images?q=tbn:-tPXZcQPpgJOuM::gadgets.boingboing.net/bacon.jpg&h=80&w=64&usg=__Zyc4mNlwDwQlF5FkeaoEN-8LHC0= . :dtroll::dtroll:

bigdommer
Gavin and Gordon!!! If those guys are on we are going to be allright.

Tragg
06-29-2009, 08:56 PM
We got 6 easy ones ahead of us, lets take at least 5. :gulp:
That's how divisions are won.
Pound the crap.
I say we win all 6 and have one of our patented 8 game win streaks.

Soxman219
06-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Last time we went to .500, we started losing again. Just hope it doesn't happen again. Let's beat Lee tomorrow.:bandance:

chisoxfanatic
That's how divisions are one.
Pound the crap.
I say we win all 6 and have one of our patented 8 game win streaks.
Feels like 2005??? :D:

voodoochile
Woohoo!!!! .500

Good win, great Gavin!

:soxwin:

:)

Zakath
06-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Stats on Gavin in last 8: 4-1, 1.39 ERA, 15 BB/46 K, 2 HR, .183 BAA.

bigdommer
06-29-2009, 08:58 PM
For the non-TV/radio guys, any update on TCM per the postgame show???

chisoxfanatic
06-29-2009, 09:01 PM
I REALLY wanna know what Ozzie was thinking pulling Thornton.

bigdommer
06-29-2009, 09:02 PM

Johnny Danks has pitched well recently too. If recent performances become the norm, the rotation will be just fine.

Chicken Dinner
06-29-2009, 09:03 PM

What are stats on bullpen? :(:

NDSox12
06-29-2009, 09:04 PM
I think the thread title says it all...

Nice job Gavin and Gordon!

Frater Perdurabo
06-29-2009, 09:04 PM
What are stats on bullpen? :(:

I'm not sure of the numbers, but they sure have allowed a lot of inherited runners to score.

DrCrawdad
06-29-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm a happy man! Now win tomorrow to get this series win out of the way and hope for a ...

Chicken Dinner
06-29-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure of the numbers, but they sure have allowed a lot of inherited runners to score.

That sure seems to be Dotel's specialty! :angry:

Zakath
06-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Johnny Danks has pitched well recently too. If recent performances become the norm, the rotation will be just fine.

In Danks's last 4, he's 2-2 with a 1.91 ERA, 2 HR, 8 BB, 26 K (lost the pitching duel with Verlander, and to the Dodgers when Kuroda was just lights out).

Hope he's ready for Friday, because he gets to duel with Greinke in KC.

Brian26
06-29-2009, 09:10 PM
I think the thread title says it all...

Nice job Gavin and Gordon!

I actually changed the thread title. Yes, Cleveland sucks. We all know that. It's been that way for years.

The story tonight is that the Good Guys are back to .500.

TDog
06-29-2009, 09:21 PM

Jeeze O' pete...

Cleveland has had a lot of ninth-inning rallies this year. They have won a couple of those, including a game where they scored eight, I think, against the Rays. When they're losing big, they don't feel as much pressure and they face pitchers who start out just trying not to walk anyone. Thornton may have lost some of his focus after the Indians giftwrapped four White Sox runs in the ninth to render the game sloppy.

Had the game been closer, I doubt the Indians would have rallied. I have no doubt Jenks would have come in and shut them down.

It would have been nice if the bullpen didn't have to work at all tonight, though.

On the positive side, the Sox put seven runners in scoring position today, which isn't necessarily a great number. But six of those runners scored.

For the second straight game, Sox starters were unscored upon.

tacosalbarojas
06-29-2009, 09:26 PM
You know things are going our way when even Phil Cuzzi calls one in our favor.

kaufsox
06-29-2009, 09:36 PM
good win tonight. The bullpen did make it a little too interesting, but looking at the Indians offense, they can hit. Can't do much else, but they can hit.

WhiteSox1989
06-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Go Sox!

Floyd was fantastic today. And I do believe Bacon is finally coming around. That dude just seems to have A LOT of swagger. I'm diggin' it.

Get 'em tomorrow, boys! :bandance:
(I love using the dancing banana any under circumstance).

TheVulture
06-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Go Sox!

And I do believe Bacon is finally coming around.

Finally? It took him about a week and half to adjust. The guy's only been up since June 4!

SoxGirl4Life
06-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Finally? It took him about a week and half to adjust. The guy's only been up since June 4!

lol.. did you forget this is WSI? :tongue:

kevingrt
06-29-2009, 09:45 PM
I am really hoping for a 6-1 road trip into another little three game stint at the Cell. We have 11 games left and I think 9-2 is not out of the question considering we are playing division opponents even if they are on the road.

A roll of 7-4 or better would be huge going into the break especially considering we may be getting back TCQ soon after the break. And even if he is a 80% TCQ (which I don't think they will let him back until he is at least 95%) that is better then what we have been getting out of the CF position offensively. And I know the defense will take a step back with Pods in CF but the Cell in the summer doesn't need a great CF.

We shall see though. I like the way this team is playing lately though even with the little 9th inning poop today.

TheVulture
06-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Actually only 9 days - he's hitting .341 since June 13.:clap:

Chicken Dinner
06-29-2009, 09:50 PM
82 games remaining. Not even half way through!

LoveYourSuit
06-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Good peformance all around other than the bullpen in the end. But it's garbage time anyway. I would have brought in Gobble for the ninth after going up and save Thornton for tomorrow.

OT: ESPN just broke in to show Manny Ramirez taking strike 3:rolleyes:

DirtySox
06-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Giants Scouts Checking Out Dye (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-30-sox-brite-chicago-jun30,0,3858822.story)

cws05champ
06-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Gavin, awesome tonight!! I'm psyched about the starting pitching lately. Beckham looks like a beast both at the plate and in the field tonight. He made all the routine plays and two great ones at 3B. God I really hope this kid becomes a star!!

russ99
06-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Good start to the series. We'll need some luck tomorrow night when Indians ace Cliff Lee goes against "hanging on by his fingernails" Clayton Richard.

If Alexei can't go, does Bacon take his long awaited place at SS?

Zakath
06-29-2009, 10:07 PM
82 games remaining. Not even half way through!

86 left, not 82.

BadBobbyJenks
06-29-2009, 10:07 PM
I am watching MLB and they said they talked to Gavin earlier. Anyone see it?

doublem23
06-29-2009, 10:11 PM
If Alexei can't go, does Bacon take his long awaited place at SS?

Bacon made another really nice play at 3B tonight on that bunt by Valbuena. I'm not going to lie, I like Bacon 3B/Nix SS more than I like Fields 3B/Bacon SS

Chicken Dinner
06-29-2009, 10:12 PM
86 left, not 82.

My mistake. but we still aren't even halfway through this thing!

voodoochile
06-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Bacon made another really nice play at 3B tonight on that bunt by Valbuena. I'm not going to lie, I like Bacon 3B/Nix SS more than I like Fields 3B/Bacon SS

For a one or two games absolutely. Don't start moving Beckham around just as he's getting comfortable at third. He made some nice plays tonight and his OPS is climbing steadily.

Sometimes in this game it's not about the next 24 hours. I know that's hard to grasp for some people but if you don't take the long view you're going to be in a world of hurt. You can't always play for today.

DSpivack
06-29-2009, 10:45 PM
For a one or two games absolutely. Don't start moving Beckham around just as he's getting comfortable at third. He made some nice plays tonight and his OPS is climbing steadily.

Sometimes in this game it's not about the next 24 hours. I know that's hard to grasp for some people but if you don't take the long view you're going to be in a world of hurt. You can't always play for today.

In the long term, is Beckham a 3B? I honestly don't know the answer to that. It's not like he's a natural 3B.

veeter
06-29-2009, 10:47 PM
You know things are going our way when even Phil Cuzzi calls one in our favor.Great catch. How the heck was there even any doubt? Great game by Gavin. Dominant really.

voodoochile
06-29-2009, 10:52 PM
In the long term, is Beckham a 3B? I honestly don't know the answer to that. It's not like he's a natural 3B.

I don't know but barring a trade him at third and Getz at second is the best the 2009 Sox can do so I'd leave it alone. If he does develop into a 3B then it would be absolutely great to have the left side of the IF set for the next 4+ years.

The time to make changes is next spring if any need to be made at all. Right now the only play Beckham isn't making at 3B is the dive for shots down the line. He's charging well, scooping well on the charge and starting to move better to his left. He's also turning the DP effectively.

Unlike some of the folks around here, I think TCM is going to be a great SS for many years to come, so Beckham is either 3B or 2B if it's my call (it isn't). So, like I said, right now he stays at 3B and see if he can learn on the job. Over the winter you can move him or leave him depending on if KW acquires another player or decides Beckham is okay at 2B for now because he has other more pressing needs.

jabrch
06-29-2009, 10:54 PM

Jeeze O' pete...

Did you see the game yesterday?

**** happens like this. It happens to nearly every single team in the majors, every single season.

FielderJones
06-29-2009, 10:54 PM
I don't understand why Thornton was pulled.

I REALLY wanna know what Ozzie was thinking pulling Thornton.

My guess, sending a message. After being spotted four more runs, Thornton got lackadaisical. Home run, double, wild pitch??!! He had his chance to close this thing out without drama and stunk it up. No save for you.

Chicken Dinner
06-29-2009, 10:58 PM
My guess, sending a message. After being spotted four more runs, Thornton got lackadaisical. Home run, double, wild pitch??!! He had his chance to close this thing out without drama and stunk it up. No save for you.

It wasn't a save situation, but lackadaisical, yes.

DSpivack
06-29-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't know but barring a trade him at third and Getz at second is the best the 2009 Sox can do so I'd leave it alone. If he does develop into a 3B then it would be absolutely great to have the left side of the IF set for the next 4+ years.

The time to make changes is next spring if any need to be made at all. Right now the only play Beckham isn't making at 3B is the dive for shots down the line. He's charging well, scooping well on the charge and starting to move better to his left. He's also turning the DP effectively.

Unlike some of the folks around here, I think TCM is going to be a great SS for many years to come, so Beckham is either 3B or 2B if it's my call (it isn't). So, like I said, right now he stays at 3B and see if he can learn on the job. Over the winter you can move him or leave him depending on if KW acquires another player or decides Beckham is okay at 2B for now because he has other more pressing needs.

Oh, I agree completely. I just don't see him as set for 3B in the long-term for any reason. I suppose whether Getz can develop more, whomever is available via trade or free agency.

Chicken Dinner
06-29-2009, 11:02 PM

I stand corrected.

ramblinsoxfan11
Great game by Gavin! Beckham played excellent as well. Hopefully Alexei is alright... Does anyone know if he's ok?

chisoxfanatic
I don't understand how it wasn't a save situation. He came in with a 2-0 lead!

voodoochile

Mental letdown. I doubt he expected to come back out for the ninth when he left after the eighth.

doublem23

Thornton would have gotten a save if he finished the game, he got the last out in the 8th when it was 2-0, before the Sox's 4-run rally.

ode to veeck
06-29-2009, 11:05 PM

who the heck is bacon, but Beckham is coming into the 3rd B stuff and Fields ... well, he woudn't even be a good back up for Paulie at 1st

ode to veeck
06-29-2009, 11:10 PM

Jeeze O' pete...

a sox W is a sox W Jeez O' pete, just enjoy it can ya?

ode to veeck
06-29-2009, 11:14 PM
In Danks's last 4, he's 2-2 with a 1.91 ERA, 2 HR, 8 BB, 26 K (lost the pitching duel with Verlander, and to the Dodgers when Kuroda was just lights out).

Hope he's ready for Friday, because he gets to duel with Greinke in KC.

Danks is smokin' last few starts, but tonight was special

JB98
06-29-2009, 11:25 PM
I don't know why anyone is upset about the bullpen. The bottom of the ninth inning was garbage time.

Floyd has been on top of his game for the last month. Tonight was no exception. Terrific performance.

drewcifer
06-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Danks is smokin' last few starts, but tonight was special

What did tonight have to do with Danks?

doublem23
06-30-2009, 12:17 AM
who the heck is bacon, but Beckham is coming into the 3rd B stuff and Fields ... well, he woudn't even be a good back up for Paulie at 1st

Beckham = Bacon in Ozziespeak.

Best. Nickname. Ever.

BleacherBandit
06-30-2009, 12:43 AM
Beckham = Bacon in Ozziespeak.

Best. Nickname. Ever.

+1

Better than any of Hawk's names.

The best nicknames are given on accident.

I didn't catch much of the game. What happend in the 9th? Are relief pitchers just wired to give up runs if they can without giving up the lead? They're awesome in close situations, but give up gratuitous runs otherwise. :rolleyes:

doublem23
06-30-2009, 01:04 AM
I didn't catch much of the game. What happend in the 9th? Are relief pitchers just wired to give up runs if they can without giving up the lead? They're awesome in close situations, but give up gratuitous runs otherwise. :rolleyes:

Part of it is that when you have a big lead, you'd rather see guys go attack hitters and force them to put the ball in play, rather than nibble, walk a few guys and get yourself in a big jam. It's easy to look back in retrospect and say Thornton and Octavio had bad days because they both allowed HR, but both were pretty meaningless and came at a time when again, the best thing to do is just say "throw strikes" and force them to come back. Generally speaking, if you make guys put the ball in play, the odds are ridiculously stacked in your favor that you'll get the win.

october23sp
06-30-2009, 01:14 AM
I hope the Sox don't sweep the Tribe, because then they are bound to lose one game when I'm there.

Just kidding, double sweep!:bandance:

Nellie_Fox
06-30-2009, 01:39 AM
I REALLY wanna know what Ozzie was thinking pulling Thornton.Maybe that he wanted him to be available tomorrow? :shrug:

Here's a question: Once the umpire yells "foul," doesn't that make the play dead?

Zisk77
06-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Maybe that he wanted him to be available tomorrow? :shrug:

Here's a question: Once the umpire yells "foul," doesn't that make the play dead?

I don't think anyone made the call until after the play was completed.

35th&Shields
06-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Back at .500 and only 4 games back before the All-Star break, pitching from Dank and Floyd picking up, Quentin set to return, won the series against the best team in baseball (Dodgers) and almost swept the crosstown rivals.

Things are definitely looking up. Color me optimistic.

asindc
06-30-2009, 09:12 AM
I don't think anyone made the call until after the play was completed.

I think Cleveland had a better potential argument on interference with the base runner. Maybe that's what Wedge was arguing.

voodoochile
06-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Maybe that he wanted him to be available tomorrow? :shrug:

I think that was Wedge's main point, but obviously the umps correctly ruled that the ball would have/did beat the runner to the bag anyway and thus he would have been/was out regardless. Unlike Zisk, I don't recall the exact moment the call was made, but not like anyone stopped running/playing until after the play was complete anyway.

thedudeabides
06-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Part of it is that when you have a big lead, you'd rather see guys go attack hitters and force them to put the ball in play, rather than nibble, walk a few guys and get yourself in a big jam. It's easy to look back in retrospect and say Thornton and Octavio had bad days because they both allowed HR, but both were pretty meaningless and came at a time when again, the best thing to do is just say "throw strikes" and force them to come back. Generally speaking, if you make guys put the ball in play, the odds are ridiculously stacked in your favor that you'll get the win.

I actually heard Farmer say that Thornton was trying something different with his slider yesterday. If true, it was a good time to try it out. I really don't see any reason to worry about giving up runs in garbage time.

voodoochile
06-30-2009, 09:24 AM
I think Cleveland had a better potential argument on interference with the base runner. Maybe that's what Wedge was arguing.

Actually, no the defender has priority and the runner has to go around them when making a fielding play. You cannot run over a fielder attempting to field a baseball.

TDog
06-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Actually, no the defender has priority and the runner has to go around them when making a fielding play. You cannot run over a fielder attempting to field a baseball.

The only time a runner is allowed to interfere with a fielder to prevent him from making a play is when a ball has passed another fielder. If a first baseman defelects a ball, the runner from first can run over the second baseman to prevent him from fielding it. I have never seen that happen, but when I was a kid, I found it in the rule book and was ready if I found myself in such a situation.

Technically, there is no interference that can be called on a fielder in baseball. A fielder can be called for obstruction, however. I have never seen an obstruction call on a play where there was no contact, And even if there is contact, it's a matter if the conact prevented a runner from reaching the base safely.