PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or am I being biased?

Moses_Scurry
06-29-2009, 03:17 PM
My brother and I had this discussion yesterday. Doesn't it seem like the cubs have more players with stupid "signature" (translation: hot dog) moves than other teams? Between Soriano's hop to catch flies, Zambrano's hopping over the foul line and pointing to the sky, Dempsters stupid glove waggle, and Sammy's array of BS it seems to be the case to me.

I can't think of any Sox that do stupid **** that makes them stand out like that. Maybe Bobby's fist pump, but lots of players do that. I've never seen any players do the stuff the guys listed above do. Has Dempster always done the hand waggle? Did Soriano hop when he was with Washington? Did Sammy do the bunny hop when he was with the Sox? I can't remember.

It's almost like playing on the cubs makes a person want to be an individual and stand out rather than a member of the team. It's probably more my bias now that I read what I'm writing.

JohnTucker0814
06-29-2009, 03:31 PM
A LOT of players are hot dogs now. I can't stand it. I don't think it's just the Cubs. I'd say Alexei is pretty close to a hot dog, just not as bad as the players you listed. I can't think of anyone else on the Sox that would qualify. Makes it more enjoyable to watch the Sox!

WizardsofOzzie
06-29-2009, 03:33 PM
IIRC Dempster does the glove wiggle because he believes it helps keep him from tipping pitches. Also I think Soriano does the hop because he thinks it helps him close in on fly balls better or something like that. No excuses for Zambrano's or Sosa's antics though.

JorgeFabregas
06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Pods has a similar hop sometimes. I suspect it's because neither of them read the ball very well.

guillen4life13
06-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Pods has a similar hop sometimes. I suspect it's because neither of them read the ball very well.

QFT. Yesterday watching Soriano was hilarious. The dude catches routine flyballs at his feet. That ball that dropped just in front of him that was a towering fly, he should have gotten easily. He moved back a bit first before realizing it was so far ahead of him. Horrible ball read. And I think he still plays in the infield because he likes to catch liners at his ankle.

pythons007
06-29-2009, 05:00 PM
I really can't wait to watch a fly ball jack Soriano in the face while he is jumping to catch it. That is just stupid. How the hell can jumping up at a ball help you catch it?

As far as Dempster is concerned, he does the waggle like someone else stated to stop tipping pitches.

Anything Sosa did was douchebaggerie!

Zambozo is Sosa on the mound, but hopping over the foul line is pretty common among pitchers.

cbrownson13
06-29-2009, 09:10 PM
My brother and I had this discussion yesterday. Doesn't it seem like the cubs have more players with stupid "signature" (translation: hot dog) moves than other teams? Between Soriano's hop to catch flies, Zambrano's hopping over the foul line and pointing to the sky, Dempsters stupid glove waggle, and Sammy's array of BS it seems to be the case to me.

I can't think of any Sox that do stupid **** that makes them stand out like that. Maybe Bobby's fist pump, but lots of players do that. I've never seen any players do the stuff the guys listed above do. Has Dempster always done the hand waggle? Did Soriano hop when he was with Washington? Did Sammy do the bunny hop when he was with the Sox? I can't remember.

It's almost like playing on the cubs makes a person want to be an individual and stand out rather than a member of the team. It's probably more my bias now that I read what I'm writing.

Quentin's bat flip
Alexei Ramirez - just about everything he does is hot dog

Since Sosa was brought up...

Iguchi's bat flip
Uribe's little hand thing after HRs

Dempster does it to prevent from tipping his pitches.

Zambrano's an idiot, but I'm entertained by it.

At this day and age, a LOT of players do hot dog things. I used to get furious every time Ivan Rodriguez would hit a meaningless double and pump his fists and point to the sky like he just gave his team the lead in game 7. But the fact of the matter is, a lot of players do these things. It seems like Latin players maybe exhibit it a little more, but I think they are generally more emotional players anyways.

bridgeportcopper
06-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Milton Bradley has a goofy way of turning sideways and posing while catching flies also.

TheVulture
06-29-2009, 10:56 PM
If you were biased, wouldn't it mean that it is just you?

MarkZ35
06-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Zambrano just wants to be seen. He wants the attention. If he was really so "religous" or whatever he could do that in the dugout when gets off the field. Dumpsters glove wiggle is really annoying but I understand why he does it. As far as Bradley and Soriano, they are hot dogs that I hope strike out every at bat. Mixed in with a few fastballs in the ribs.

HomeFish
06-30-2009, 07:22 PM
In 2002, when Antonio Osuna did a big fist pump after getting a save against the Cubs, it was controversial and derided as hot-dogging.