PDA

View Full Version : should the sox start buying or selling?

luke4me1st
06-28-2009, 11:37 PM
I say try to add one solid bat.

DSpivack
06-28-2009, 11:45 PM
I didn't vote in the poll, I didn't see an option I agreed with.

As for the question, I would answer yes, the Sox should start buying or selling.

luke4me1st
06-28-2009, 11:54 PM
I didn't vote in the poll, I didn't see an option I agreed with.

As for the question, I would answer yes, the Sox should start buying or selling.

let me help you, here is an option that you will like:

5. I don't know, it is very difficult for me to decide anything.:gulp:

DSpivack
06-28-2009, 11:55 PM
let me help you, here is an option that you will like:

5. I don't know, it is very difficult for me to decide anything.:gulp:

:tongue:

JB98
06-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Ask again at the All-Star break.

The Sox have 13 straight against divisional foes over the course of the next two weeks. We'll see if they can put together a winning streak, or if they continue this whole "win two, lose two, win one, lose three, win two, lose one" thing they've got going this year.

voodoochile
06-29-2009, 12:05 AM
It all depends on the package offered. I don't want to gut the farm. I also don't want to gut the team. Right offer I could be persuaded to go either way. I do think this division is winnable, so I'd prefer to acquire pieces at the moment. I'd prefer another starting pitcher to another bat at the moment though, preferably one who is signed for the next few years.

whitem0nkey
06-29-2009, 10:37 AM
I would like to see what happens in the next 2 weeks before I have an opinion on this.

Boondock Saint
06-29-2009, 10:39 AM
I agree that it isn't yet time to make that decision. This team could go either way.

hawkjt
06-29-2009, 11:03 AM
if they can go 8-5 or better the next two weeks...look to upgrade...often these trades can be good for next year also.

I would have welcomed DeRosa or a DeRosa type to solidify the infield and help the offense.
If Carlos is actually back after the All Star break, it will also be a factor in the decision...if he looks good...buy for this season.
It would help if the Tigers had a slump the next few weeks also.

bigdommer
06-29-2009, 11:09 AM
The only position I could see them upgrading is CF. Obviously our IF is pretty suspect right now, but I think we have to take the good with the bad on the left side for this year. However, if TCQ comes back healthy and Pods moves to CF, it reduces the urgency to make a deal, even though our OF defense would become below average. Also, adding an experienced CF would mean adding salary, which I don't think JR wants to do without shedding salary.

I am not expecting anything drastic unless we fall way off or takeover first place before the end of the month.

Moses_Scurry
06-29-2009, 11:17 AM
I'd buy only if it is somebody who they'll have at least the rest of this season and next season. Or somebody they can confidently sign for seasons beyond this one like Freddy Garcia in 2004.

No one year rentals for me.

Domeshot17
06-29-2009, 11:20 AM
They need to buy a top line SP and a 2b.

We need another stopper to replace Richard. Richard is just destined for the bullpen, and we can't afford him costing us wins. With our pitchers throwing like they are the idea of going on a 4 game winning streak is not out of line, but if we can put a guy who is near the top of talent in the rotation who can keep the winning streak GOING, then we are money.

Also, you do not trade for a CF. I know his D is undesirable, but you have to have a place for Pods bat in the lineup right now. He has been nothing short of great since coming back, and him leading off has brought a ton of good to this team. Quentin is back in 2-3 weeks and you aren't going to bench him. Pick up a 2b, move Getz to the UTIL role and send Nix to triple A.

Also, while usually I am a wait and see kind of guy I think if you add someone who can win you these series you do it now.

TomBradley72
06-29-2009, 11:23 AM
If TCQ will be returning healthy, we should be buyers...I think we have a real chance to win the division. If TCQ is out for the year....I'd make our moves more based on the long term...so more of a seller mode. I see Beckham as a 2nd baseman for the long term, so I'd like to see a stop gap/1-2 year solution for 3rd base while we see if Viciedo might be the answer. We still need a legit CF as well.

veeter
06-29-2009, 11:30 AM
I say try to add one solid bat.That bat, hopefully, will be Carlos Quentin. I would go for bullpen help. I still have little faith in Dotel and Linebrink.

russ99
06-29-2009, 11:33 AM
That bat, hopefully, will be Carlos Quentin. I would go for bullpen help. I still have little faith in Dotel and Linebrink.

But you can't bank on that. So I think the Sox should add another decent OF bat in the event Quentin is either out or ineffective the rest of the season.

Hopefully, Kenny also either adds a starter or gives the #4 job to Poreda.

Banking on 2 of Contreras, Colon, Garcia and Richard to hold down the last 2 spots of the rotation could sink our playoff hopes.

veeter
06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
But you can't bank on that. So I think the Sox should add another decent OF bat in the event Quentin is either out or ineffective the rest of the season.

Hopefully, Kenny also either adds a starter or gives the #4 job to Poreda.

Banking on 2 of Contreras, Colon, Garcia and Richard to hold down the last 2 spots of the rotation could sink our playoff hopes.Hermie has the best idea of what Carlos will bring. I hope he's ready. Any pick-ups are welcomed to me, if they make the Sox better. And I love the idea of Poreda being put in the rotation.

Dibbs
06-29-2009, 11:51 AM
I say wait until the all-star and see where we are at from there.

bigdommer
06-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Banking on 2 of Contreras, Colon, Garcia and Richard to hold down the last 2 spots of the rotation could sink our playoff hopes.

I think you can bank on Contreras. He has been rock solid in his 4 starts since being recalled. He may be 2-2, but he has a 2.15 ERA. If Konerko doesn't boot that ball, he probably beats the Cubs (with two outs and Blanco on deck, you walk Soto). And despite getting the loss in Cincy, he had a quality start.

With off days and the AS break, maybe they can skip that #5 spot a few times while they get it figured out.

Frater Perdurabo
06-29-2009, 02:33 PM
I think KW should try to acquire a top-notch starting pitcher, regardless of how the Sox play.

This year, pitching is the biggest need.

Long-term, pitching is always the biggest need.

Get the top-notch starter, then move Richard to the pen (assuming he stays with the Sox and doesn't go in the trade). This strengthens both the rotation and the pen. If Richard does go, you've still strengthened the pen because you've replaced Richard - who usually is only effective for 5 innings - with a starter who regularly goes 7+ innings. Other than the closer, a bullpen is most effective when used least.

If the Jays are willing to move Halladay, as has been rumoured in some quarters, KW needs to pounce.