PDA

View Full Version : For the love of Scotty Pods

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2009, 06:48 PM
All he did was go 4-5 today with a very huge HR! But, he hasn't just been great today, he's bolstered this offense like nobody since...well...Scotty Pods!

Where the hell would this team be without claiming our speedster?

SoxFan1979
06-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Amen to that!

JB98
06-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Pods is playing better than he did in 2005. Yes, I'm serious.

I really can't believe he is this good, but all the credit in the world to him. He's resurrecting his career this year.

Jjav829
06-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm loving every minute of what Pods is doing for us. He's hitting so well that we're going to have to play him in center when Quentin returns.

It's been fun to watch him. The moving around in the batters box, the steals, the walkoff hits. I don't know how long this lasts, but he has helped keep this team in contention.

DirtySox
06-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Pods has been the most entertaining part of this Sox club this year. Should be interesting to see what the organization decides to do with him as we near the trade deadline.

BigP50
06-27-2009, 06:55 PM
every time he is up there I expect a hit

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Pods has been the most entertaining part of this Sox club this year. Should be interesting to see what the organization decides to do with him as we near the trade deadline.
If Scotty Pods keeps this up, there is no way I want him to be dealt, and I'd want his contract extended.

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't care how bad we are at the deadline but if Pods continues his great play, he stays, because if we trade him we will be looking for a lead-off guy again and I'm tired of that. Pods, stay healthy.

DirtySox
06-27-2009, 06:59 PM
If Scotty Pods keeps this up, there is no way I want him to be dealt, and I'd want his contract extended.

It's certainly a possibility, but it might be best to sell high on a guy with a history of injuries who was just about out of baseball. A few articles have mentioned teams being interested in him as well as Jose. I suppose it all depends on what kind of return you would get. I wouldn't mind having him as a bridge to Jordan Danks if he could stay healthy though.

Also I'm getting deja vu from a similar thread that was about Clayton Richard...

Boondock Saint
06-27-2009, 07:01 PM

Ditto. He's just spraying hits all over the place right now. He's also putting balls into the stands...he's just on fire right now.

Boondock Saint
06-27-2009, 07:03 PM
It's certainly a possibility, but it might be best to sell high on a guy with a history of injuries who was just about out of baseball. A few articles have mentioned teams being interested in him as well as Jose. I suppose it all depends on what kind of return you would get. I wouldn't mind having him as a bridge to Jordan Danks if he could stay healthy though.

Also I'm getting deja vu from a similar thread that was about Clayton Richard...

The difference is that Pods has a history of success. Richard showed promise and put together a few good to great starts. Pods just has had trouble staying healthy.

ramblinsoxfan11
06-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Thank goodness Scotty Pods is back, I was initially excited when we re-signed him and a lot of my friends were bashing me for it. They changed their mind about him pretty fast :D:

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Either that or a walk. He is such a patient hitter up there right now! He's truly giving it his 100%. And then, he's creating havoc for the pitcher, because nobody knows when he'll break for the next base.

KW didn't do much in terms of free agency this offseason, but he sure has made a couple nice moves during this season.

NDSox12
06-27-2009, 07:14 PM

Yeah. He's definitely the guy I want at the plate with runners in scoring position right now.

thomas35forever
06-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Pods has been nothing short of amazing for us. Clutch hitting, stealing bases, and running like he never lost a step. He deserves an All-Star selection for this club. If you made a list of the top ten moves Kenny has made since becoming GM, his previous acquisition of him and his recent signing of him would both make that list. Even if the Sox do nothing this season, Pods has done more than enough to keep this team hanging around. That said, go Scotty! Keep rolling on!

Thome25
06-27-2009, 07:24 PM
I definitely agree with thomas35forever. KW had acquired Pods TWICE and both freaking times he has looked like a genius!! I just hope that if Pods keeps playing like this, that he'll be playing for us for the next couple of years. GIVE THAT MAN A CONTRACT EXTENSION BEFORE SOME OTHER TEAM SCOOPS HIM UP AFTER THIS YEAR.......are you listening KW?

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Pods has been nothing short of amazing for us. Clutch hitting, stealing bases, and running like he never lost a step. He deserves an All-Star selection for this club. If you made a list of the top ten moves Kenny has made since becoming GM, his previous acquisition of him and his recent signing of him would both make that list. Even if the Sox do nothing this season, Pods has done more than enough to keep this team hanging around. That said, go Scotty! Keep rolling on!
I agree with this 100%. Scotty is definitely our team's MVP so far. He's the one this team can least afford to lose.

DirtySox
06-27-2009, 07:27 PM
I definitely agree with thomas35forever. KW had acquired Pods TWICE and both freaking times he has looked like a genius!! I just hope that if Pods keeps playing like this, that he'll be playing for us for the next couple of years. GIVE THAT MAN A CONTRACT EXTENSION BEFORE SOME OTHER TEAM SCOOPS HIM UP AFTER THIS YEAR.......are you listening KW?

He will be extended or traded. Count on it. (Barring injury or a fall off a cliff production-wise.)

Craig Grebeck
06-27-2009, 07:30 PM
How impatient are some of you? Do you really think it's prudent to extend Scott based on this small of a sample size?

BainesHOF
06-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Maybe Podsednik made a deal with the devil. He's been incredible out of the blue.

BigP50
06-27-2009, 07:33 PM
He is great at hitting to the left part of the field, he has good speed when he gets on and now he is really starting to hit it hard, 3 homers this year. I Love it

ZombieRob
06-27-2009, 07:39 PM
All he did was go 4-5 today with a very huge HR! But, he hasn't just been great today, he's bolstered this offense like nobody since...well...Scotty Pods!

Where the hell would this team be without claiming our speedster?
As I mentioned in another post, comback player of the year.

FarWestChicago
06-27-2009, 07:44 PM
How impatient are some of you? Do you really think it's prudent to extend Scott based on this small of a sample size?It's really annoying to some of you armchair GM's that he doesn't suck, isn't it. :D:

Craig Grebeck
06-27-2009, 07:46 PM
It's really annoying to some of you armchair GM's that he doesn't suck, isn't it. :D:
Not really. It's really annoying that some armchair GMs want to pounce on extending someone who will most likely not sustain his current level of performance.

Many were clamoring for TCQ to be extended last year, but thankfully Williams and Hahn recognized the risks involved in putting stock in an oft-injured player. They'll make a similarly good move here, I'd hope.

MarkZ35
06-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I don't see any problem with maybe a 2 year contract around a few million a year. I just hope that Pods stays humble and takes any offer the Sox give him (if they give him one) because they gave him a chance when no other team would.

JB98
06-27-2009, 08:10 PM
The Sox don't have to do anything now. I wouldn't trade Pods. I'd keep him, but let him play the rest of the year and see what happens.

His play has been terrific. As always, the questions surround his ability to stay healthy.

BadBobbyJenks
06-27-2009, 08:13 PM
I miss the oh my god I just won the lottery feeling when Pods hits a homer. I dont know if I like this, there goes another one from Scotty feeling.

Seriously though what if Pods can keep this resurgence going for the whole season. I keep waiting for a wall, and it is not coming.

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2009, 08:14 PM
I miss the oh my god I just won the lottery feeling when Pods hits a homer. I dont know if I like this, there goes another one from Scotty feeling.
You don't like that Scotty potentially has another weapon in his aresnol?

BadBobbyJenks
06-27-2009, 08:25 PM
You don't like that Scotty potentially has another weapon in his aresnol?

No No I like it, but I just missing jumping out of my chair like I did in 05 versus the Red Sox then of course the Astros

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2009, 08:30 PM
No No I like it, but I just missing jumping out of my chair like I did in 05 versus the Red Sox then of course the Astros
I always jump out of my chair for every Sox home run. Depending on the situation, I sometimes treat someone's 297th HR like it's his 1st.

Sox
06-27-2009, 08:31 PM

Ditto to that. I would hate to think what this club would look like this year had the SOX not signed him. One of the best moves that the Sox have made IMO. :pods::gosox:

wassagstdu
06-27-2009, 08:43 PM
I think a lot of people forgot how well Podsednik played in the first half of 2005, before he pulled a muscle. Don't forget that after that the Sox played about .500 ball the rest of the season with Pods missing or hobbled. Postseason is a different story, of course, but Pods was there too, which is what most everyone does remember.

hawkjt
06-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Yea, I will never forget the 05 team getting off to the lead in like the first 30 some games...mainly due to Pods.
I pray for his continued good health. He seems to be confident that he his injury woes are behind him....keep praying,Pods..

october23sp
06-27-2009, 09:01 PM
I will mention it for the zillionth time on these boards, the SP in october23sp stands for Scotty Pods.:D:

I was still a Pods fan when I made my account in 08, also, I can say I was one of the few who was hyped when we signed him.:bandance:

BadBobbyJenks
06-27-2009, 09:08 PM
I think a lot of people forgot how well Podsednik played in the first half of 2005, before he pulled a muscle. Don't forget that after that the Sox played about .500 ball the rest of the season with Pods missing or hobbled. Postseason is a different story, of course, but Pods was there too, which is what most everyone does remember.

I dont think anyone forgot that, but have remembered what he did in 07 and 08.

HomeFish
06-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Has Podsednik ever had two good seasons in a row?

october23sp
06-27-2009, 09:50 PM
has podsednik ever had two good seasons in a row?

04-05.

twinsuck
06-27-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm scared to think where this team would be without Scotty Pods.

Brian26
06-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Pods has essentially had one good month. He needs to continue this for the rest of the season, and then maybe KW should think about an extension or multi-year contract. Calling for a multi-year contract right now is insane.

All that said, what Pods is doing right now defies all natural laws of science and physics. He's the biggest surprise of the season and deserves a pat on the back.

Brian26
06-27-2009, 09:57 PM
04-05.

'03 was his good season with the Brewers, not '04.

NDSox12
06-27-2009, 09:57 PM
04-05.

He hit .244 with a .313 OBP in 2004. That's not a good year, despite the 70 stolen bases.

lizard6king6
06-27-2009, 10:00 PM
IM glad I didnt get rid of all those Podsednik jersey I bought when we first signed him in 05. Hes been my favorite since coming to the Sox the first time and its nice to have him back, I really hope he can stay healthy and keep doing what he does!

MISoxfan
06-27-2009, 10:04 PM

The Sox were still 8 games over in the second half of '05.

russ99
06-27-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm really glad Scott proved the haters wrong.

Even though I'm a big fan, I don't think a multiyear deal is necessary now.

As long as he's healthy, the Sox should re-sign him and keep him starting until Danks or Mitchell develops into the leadoff guy, and then be the #1 pinch hitter/pinch runner.

JB98
06-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm really glad Scott proved the haters wrong.

Even though I'm a big fan, I don't think a multiyear deal is necessary now.

As long as he's healthy, the Sox should re-sign him and keep him starting until Danks or Mitchell develops into the leadoff guy, and then be the #1 pinch hitter/pinch runner.

Who hates Pods? :?:

He's a World Series hero.

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2009, 10:53 PM

I don't think anyone here has ever hated Pods. But, I do recall the thread about his 2nd arrival having more than a few posters questioning KW's move.

JB98
06-27-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't think anyone here has ever hated Pods. But, I do recall the thread about his 2nd arrival having more than a few posters questioning KW's move.

It was a questionable move. Pods was sitting on his couch when the season started. Nobody else wanted him. It's turned out to be a stroke of briliance.

KW was right. Others, including me, were wrong.

ChiSoxGirl
06-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Anyone who knows me both on and off this board knows how much I LOVE Pods. Obviously, I echo every single positive post about him in this thread. The guy has been a Godsend to this team and I can't even imagine what it'd be like without him at the top of the order.

spongyfungy
06-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Kenny's desire to always get players who have had previous success here finally pays off. Whether it was Crazy Carl, loaiza, colon, alomar, sweaty freddy, the reacquisitions have ranged from total busts to limited success.

Pods, though has been a revelation. I thought he'd be pretty serviceable player but he's exceeded pretty much everyone's expectations.

Comeback player of the year!

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Comeback player of the year!
I honestly do not think there's a single player in MLB who fits the definition of this so well.

sullythered
06-27-2009, 11:35 PM
KW was right. Others were wrong.
This be a trend, methinks.

october23sp
06-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Just so everyone can get somewhat of an idea on WSI's opinion of Scotty Pods the day we signed him to a minor league deal:

Doubters: (in no order)

Doublem23
HawkDJ
DaveFeelsRight
hi im skot
Sargeant79
Kittle42(Sorry Kittle you were bashing him in that thread)
Cuck the Fubs
Jurr
Spawn
JB98 ( wanted to be wrong about Pods being bad)
oeo
Palehozenchity
Hangwiffum

Believers: (No order)
Heffalump
Mccoydp
october23sp
#1swisher
cws05champ
sunofgold
Lipman1
russ99

"Can't be worse than Jerry Owens":
Too many to list.:redneck

Rohan
06-27-2009, 11:44 PM

You should expect a hit roughly 1/3rd of the time... He's only hitting .330!

ChiSoxGirl
06-27-2009, 11:45 PM
You should expect a hit roughly 1/3rd of the time... He's only hitting .330!

Is that all?! Last I remember seeing, his average was around .315/.320. I can't believe it's jumped at least ten points since the last game I watched (Wednesday). But I'm so not complaining! Love me some Scott Podsednik! :bandance:

Rohan
06-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Like I said earlier in the White Sox All Star thread...

:pods:
"Put me in coach."

He can still get there, I really believe it. He keeps playing like he did today, getting hits off good pitchers, he's going to get there. Just has to make sure he doesn't botch up what he does on the base pads.

ChiSoxGirl
06-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Here's (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=bonkowski_jerry&id=4292283) a great article about Scotty regarding his career afternoon and performance on the Sox since he was recalled from Charlotte on May 1.

JB98
06-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Just so everyone can get somewhat of an idea on WSI's opinion of Scotty Pods the day we signed him to a minor league deal:

Doublem23
HawkDJ
DaveFeelsRight
hi im skot
Sargeant79
Cuck the Fubs
Jurr
Spawn
oeo
Palehozenchity
Hangwiffum

Heffalump
Mccoydp
october23sp
#1swisher
cws05champ
sunofgold
Lipman1
russ99

I was wrong about Pods. I thought he would hit .240.

Of course, I was right about Freddy Garcia. All you FOBB Jeremy Reed lovers can just go straight to hell. And Miguel Olivo SUCKS too. :D:

FarWestChicago
06-28-2009, 12:20 AM

Every single WSI armchair GM.

chisoxfanatic
06-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Here's (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=bonkowski_jerry&id=4292283) a great article about Scotty regarding his career afternoon and performance on the Sox since he was recalled from Charlotte on May 1.
Note the credit given to Greg Walker in the middle of the article. :redneck

JB98
06-28-2009, 12:28 AM

I'm a WSI armchair GM, and I don't hate Pods.

But I sure as hell didn't think he could make this kind of impact with the Sox. That's why I'm an armchair GM and not a real GM.

I did, however, hate Mike MacDougal. :D:

chisoxfanatic
06-28-2009, 12:30 AM
I did, however, hate Mike MacDougal. :D:
I challenge you to find one single poster here who didn't.

Cuck the Fubs
06-28-2009, 12:39 AM

Doublem23
HawkDJ
DaveFeelsRight
hi im skot
Sargeant79
Cuck the Fubs
Jurr
Spawn
oeo
Palehozenchity
Hangwiffum

Heffalump
Mccoydp
october23sp
#1swisher
cws05champ
sunofgold
Lipman1
russ99

Guilty as charged....however, I can honestly say I have never been so happy to have my foot in my mouth!

Thatguyoverthere
06-28-2009, 12:49 AM
Kenny's desire to always get players who have had previous success here finally pays off. Whether it was Crazy Carl, loaiza, colon, alomar, sweaty freddy, the reacquisitions have ranged from total busts to limited success.

Pods, though has been a revelation. I thought he'd be pretty serviceable player but he's exceeded pretty much everyone's expectations.

Comeback player of the year!Limited success? Crazy Carl did have some pretty big hits in '05 and Loaiza won 21 games, though I can see why you might have them on that list. But Sweaty Freddy? Limited success, really? He was nothing short of awesome during that playoff run. Give the guy some credit.

hawkjt
06-28-2009, 01:01 AM
I was a believer after hearing the Colorado play by play guy say in an interview right after the Sox signed Pods that Pods looked great in spring training and was healthy, just got pushed out by a phenom.
I had a good feeling after hearing that.

Keep it going Pods...we need ya.

angiew
06-28-2009, 02:57 AM
I was at the game against the Rangers when Pods made his first appearance with the team. I'd been away from my computer for a few days and had no idea they had called him up. I'll confess my reaction was mixed at the time but IMO it's turned out to be nothing short of a brilliant move by KW. I shudder to think where we'd be right now without him. Thanks Scott! And please, carry on! =)

BadBobbyJenks
06-28-2009, 03:41 AM
I really don't think Kenny Williams made a genius move here. For a month KW has been extremely lucky that Pods has performed. I hope it keeps up, but nobody outside of the Dergan family really thought Scotty was going to come in and lead off for the White Sox with these kind of numbers.

doublem23
06-28-2009, 08:27 AM

Even if he doesn't get a hit, it seems like every time he steps to the plate, he's doing something productive, he's moving runners over, taking pitches, making the pitcher work, and hitting laser beams all over the field.

Astounding to think just a few months ago his career looked like it was over. If the Sox somehow pull this rabbit out of their hats, I'd give him the Team MVP.

doublem23
06-28-2009, 08:35 AM

Just because some of us questioned the move (which, as it turns out was a brilliant move by KW), that doesn't mean we had anything against Pods. The dude is an immortal member of the White Sox family, even without his resurrection this year. I don't think its unreasonable that some folks were skeptical of a speedster with chronic leg problems that was rejected by the other 29 clubs in the Majors as a legitimate piece to this year's puzzle. The answer to all our problems in 2009 is not to bring back everyone from '05. But Pods has outplayed probably even the biggest believers so far.

I hope he keeps it up, and I'm glad I was wrong. :cool:

doublem23
06-28-2009, 08:35 AM
I really don't think Kenny Williams made a genius move here. For a month KW has been extremely lucky that Pods has performed. I hope it keeps up, but nobody outside of the Dergan family really thought Scotty was going to come in and lead off for the White Sox with these kind of numbers.

Isn't that the definition of a genius move?

GlassSox
06-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Who cares if it is genius or luck, so far Pods has earned his keep and has definitely sparked some positive results. :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
06-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Who cares if it is genius or luck, so far Pods has earned his keep and has definitely sparked some positive results. :cool:

Think of what will happen when TCQ comes back!!:bandance:

Noneck
06-28-2009, 10:27 AM
I challenge you to find one single poster here who didn't.

I was that guy and still am.

russ99
06-28-2009, 11:11 AM

Well, that was poorly phrased, and my intention was not to call out people.

I should have said those who thought he was finished due to his injury and also those who dislike slap hitters.

BadBobbyJenks
06-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Isn't that the definition of a genius move?

What?

chisoxfanatic
06-28-2009, 02:32 PM
What?
I've gotta go with doub here. Lucking out is part of making a genius move.

rookie
06-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Even if he doesn't get a hit, it seems like every time he steps to the plate, he's doing something productive, he's moving runners over, taking pitches, making the pitcher work, and hitting laser beams all over the field.

Astounding to think just a few months ago his career looked like it was over. If the Sox somehow pull this rabbit out of their hats, I'd give him the Team MVP.

It's the same feeling you had watching TCQ last year. And it's even better with Scotty because we know his highs and his lows. I love watching him gome to the plate, because it gives you hope.

Think of what will happen when TCQ comes back!!:bandance:

We'll have the best looking outfield in the MLB!:cool:

ChiSoxGal85
06-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Scotty has outperformed almost everyone's expectations, including mine. I was happy when we signed him, but didn't really expect him to be so clutch. Good to see him contributing.

I heard the funniest thing last night, on TV or the radio, can't remember which...anyway, someone called Pods' walk-up batting move the "iPod Shuffle". What a riot! Maybe we should call rename it the S-Pod Shuffle. :smile:

Sox
06-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Scotty has outperformed almost everyone's expectations, including mine. I was happy when we signed him, but didn't really expect him to be so clutch. Good to see him contributing.

I heard the funniest thing last night, on TV or the radio, can't remember which...anyway, someone called Pods' walk-up batting move the "iPod Shuffle". What a riot! Maybe we should call rename it the S-Pod Shuffle. :smile:

I heard that yesterday too on the nationally televised broadcast. I think that I heard Tim McCarver say something to that effect. Anyway that would be a good nick name for Scotty.:thumbsup:

Welcome to WSI board Btw.:smile:

doublem23
06-28-2009, 04:46 PM
What?

Isn't a genius move by definition, a move that everyone else poo-poos, but you pursue it anyway and it all works out for you?

BadBobbyJenks
06-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Isn't a genius move by definition, a move that everyone else poo-poos, but you pursue it anyway and it all works out for you?

I guess. Although Pods was the one who came a calling not Kenny.