PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Frank Thomas Article

Ditka v. God
06-27-2009, 01:41 PM
I came across this article (http://bases.newsvine.com/_news/2009/06/26/2973082-frank-thomas-is-the-most-underrated-hitter-of-all-time?category=sports) and thought everyone here might enjoy it. The author makes a great point in saying that the Big Hurt was Albert Pujols before Albert Pujols.

The user comments after the article are pretty fun to read as well, I guess a lot of people feel like he's a first-ballot Hall of Famer. :smile:

Gavin
06-27-2009, 03:11 PM
This article is awesome.

MarySwiss
06-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Yes, excellent article, and the comments were interesting.

Of course, there just had to be one person speculating as to whether he juiced, but as far as I'm concerned, that isn't even worthy of an answer.

DSpivack
06-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Great article. Big Frank is the reason I am a Sox fan.

southside rocks
06-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the link, good article.

Today's Sun-Times has a column about Frank and the White Sox getting back together and Frank retiring from the Sox, when the time comes. I look forward to seeing the Big Hurt in black and white pinstripes again, even if it's just for a few games; and I look forward (a few years from now) to seeing his statue on the concourse.

I have never been to the HOF, but I would make the trip for Frank's induction ceremony there.

DSpivack
06-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the link, good article.

Today's Sun-Times has a column about Frank and the White Sox getting back together and Frank retiring from the Sox, when the time comes. I look forward to seeing the Big Hurt in black and white pinstripes again, even if it's just for a few games; and I look forward (a few years from now) to seeing his statue on the concourse.

I have never been to the HOF, but I would make the trip for Frank's induction ceremony there.

I have thought about this for awhile now, that when he gets inducted I would love to make that trip. Hard to plan for a trip 6 or 7 years in advance, though.

Zisk77
06-28-2009, 11:39 AM
As strong a man & as good a hitter as Frank was, he'd have hit 100 hrs. in a year if he'd have juiced. I still remember those line drive hr's to center and rc that were only about 20 ft of the ground that just didn't drop until they cleared the fence.

LongLiveFisk
06-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Same here. I think that will be a WSI trip. I always regretted not getting there for Fisk's induction, so I really don't want to miss Frank's.

Whitesox029
06-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Same here. I think that will be a WSI trip. I always regretted not getting there for Fisk's induction, so I really don't want to miss Frank's.
Especially since Fisk didn't go in wearing a White Sox hat, so we pretty much had to share him with Boston. This one will be awesome because Frank was a White Sox through and through, not to be shared with anyone. The only significant career moment he had elsewhere was his 500th HR.

doublem23
06-28-2009, 05:05 PM

I've been there twice, but I'm pretty much already planning on making the trip in 2013 for the Big Hurt*

* Assumes I did the math right and less than 25% of the BBWAA pulls their head from their asses.

DSpivack
06-28-2009, 09:42 PM
I've been there twice, but I'm pretty much already planning on making the trip in 2013 for the Big Hurt*

* Assumes I did the math right and less than 25% of the BBWAA pulls their head from their asses.

Are you eligible from when you last played or from when you retire?

doublem23
06-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Are you eligible from when you last played or from when you retire?

I believe its from your last season in the MLB; Rickey Henderson has never officially "retired."

JermaineDye05
06-28-2009, 11:03 PM
A really good read. I really had no idea that Frank was this great in the 90's, it really has me kicking myself that I didn't start following the Sox sooner. Anyone know where I could find video of Frank from his prime years?

hawkjt
06-29-2009, 10:20 AM

Frank is the Sox HOFer that most of us have seen play his whole career as a Sox...he is special. WE will not see the likes of him again anytime soon.
If Carlos has a solid decade like last year but hit 25pts higher...maybe.

Good to read in todays Suntimes that Frank has put away his bitterness and his relationship with the Sox is good again.
Bring him back in Sept...and if he can hit a little...all the better.

ChiSoxFan81
06-29-2009, 10:26 AM
We should let Frank bat in a game in September just so he and Griffey can go in the HOF together.

akingamongstmen
06-29-2009, 07:53 PM
We should let Frank bat in a game in September just so he and Griffey can go in the HOF together.

I like this...a lot. The two greatest hitters of the 90's, in my opinion. They deserve to be celebrated in Cooperstown together.

Frank, and to a lesser extent, Jr., are the two primary reasons why I am a baseball fan.

A. Cavatica
06-29-2009, 08:27 PM
I don't like the idea. Why should he wait a year for induction and reduce his chances of being admitted? Some years there is only one inductee. And Frank, having been a DH for half his career, will have a harder time being inducted on the first ballot than Junior.

SpiderJames
07-02-2009, 09:20 PM
I still wish Frank never left Chicago, I know we didnt need him, but it left a hole in my heart when I heard he wasnt coming back in 06. Growing up in the 90s, Frank was the man, what a good guy, great personality, loved the Sox, and he always gave 100%. He a for sure Hall of Famer, and I cant wait for when the Sox have Frank Thomas night, and they retire his number, and show his picture of him in left field on the wall.