PDA

View Full Version : Im outraged... maybe you guys can help

BV2005
06-27-2009, 01:03 AM
ok so my little sis is 18 and her & her friends were at todays game and tailgating and her friends were drinking. My sister did not have a drop of alcahol but when the parking lot attendant drove by he confiscated her friends beer (which I do condone) and they took their tickets to the game including my sister's, they told her since she didn't drink she can drive her friends home.

well my sister had the pay stubs for the tickets on her so they were able to get back in. and they found that the lot attendant had scalped their tickets (for much more that they paid for them). after complaining they got other seats... but I just don't think thats good enough. anyone know some kind of number I can call. I don't condone underage drinking but lets face it, I did it when I was younger. should just call the customer service line or is there a more direct line I can call. just curious if anyone knows.

LoveYourSuit
06-27-2009, 01:16 AM
ok so my little sis is 18 and her & her friends were at todays game and tailgating and her friends were drinking. My sister did not have a drop of alcahol but when the parking lot attendant drove by he confiscated her friends beer (which I do condone) and they took their tickets to the game including my sister's, they told her since she didn't drink she can drive her friends home.

well my sister had the pay stubs for the tickets on her so they were able to get back in. and they found that the lot attendant had scalped their tickets (for much more that they paid for them). after complaining they got other seats... but I just don't think thats good enough. anyone know some kind of number I can call. I don't condone underage drinking but lets face it, I did it when I was younger. should just call the customer service line or is there a more direct line I can call. just curious if anyone knows.

What the hell did the game tickets have to do with anyhting that happened outside the park?

That's as bad as an officer pulling you over because of speeding to the game and then he takes your game tickets as punishment.

That makes no sense.

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2009, 02:30 AM
Who the hell is a parking-lot attendant to confiscate anything? They have no authority.

Sox
06-27-2009, 02:38 AM
Who the hell is a parking-lot attendant to confiscate anything? They have no authority.

I agree. That's a new one on me.:scratch:

Rohan
06-27-2009, 02:49 AM

That really has nothing to do with what the actual problem is here. We all know that underage drinking is illegal. Whether or not you did it when you were underage or not, it's still illegal.

But the actual problem here is that some attendant took advantage of kids who obviously were caught offguard because of their illegal actions, by this I don't mean that they were drunk, although they may have been and I always find it obnoxious when anyone comes to a game already DRUNK. But being caught in that kind of position you sometimes just end up like a deer in headlights, not knowing how to react. Therefore the sneaky attendant caught them comitting an illegal action, and they were then the victims of other illegal actions perpetrated by the parking attendant :rolleyes:.

Lessons to be learned:

1.) Don't break the law... Especially not in an open parking lot, I mean come on... It's common sense.

2.) Don't trust those God damn parking attendants with anything except directing you where to park. We're in a difficult time in our economy and a lot of those attendants do it as a part time job in combination with another job. It's times like these when people begin to scam and committ crimes just to get by.

MarkZ35
06-27-2009, 03:36 AM
No lie, my little sister's friend had that happen to them about 2 weeks ago at a game. Like you said I don't condone underage drinking but it will happen. Regardless they took the whole groups of tickets (even though about 8 of the 12 weren't drinking) and told them to leave or they would get the police to give them underage drinking tickets. I thought the whole story was bs but at least I know it happened to other people. What gives the security the power to take game tickets when they are just going to go and sell them illegally?

4 points
06-27-2009, 04:48 AM
I thought stuff like this only happened at Wrigley field.:D:

Johnny Mostil
06-27-2009, 06:01 AM
A bit OT, but I've long found Sox parking-lot attendants to be really surly. So much so that, when I'm not with my kids, the prospect of dealing with them, even more than the $23 charge, gets me to park on the streets. (Well outside the no-parking zones, of course, and sometimes walking more than a mile each way to work off the churros . . .)

parlaycard
06-27-2009, 07:35 AM
well my sister had the pay stubs for the tickets on her so they were able to get back in. and they found that the lot attendant had scalped their tickets (for much more that they paid for them). after complaining they got other seats...

what other seats? at a Cubs-Sox game?

I would call Fox news

I_Liked_Manuel
06-27-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm confused as to who confiscated the tickets. Was it somebody that takes the money, or was it a security guard in one of the golf carts? I was under the impression that the security guards in the carts are off-duty police officers.

WSox597
06-27-2009, 08:14 AM
I thought stuff like this only happened at Wrigley field.:D:

Naw, it couldn't happen at Wrigley. No parking lots, so no parking attendants.

Other than the scammers who rent out their driveways and so forth.

soxfan21
06-27-2009, 08:39 AM
That really does stink. I agree with another poster in that I would call one of the local news outlets and see if they can do any investigating. I don't agree with the under age drinking either, but taking one's tickets because of it is going way overboard.

Shoeless
06-27-2009, 08:57 AM
That really does stink. I agree with another poster in that I would call one of the local news outlets and see if they can do any investigating. I don't agree with the under age drinking either, but taking one's tickets because of it is going way overboard.

I don't know them offhand, but maybe somewhere deep in the fine print there's a clause that reserves the right of any staff member to confiscate the tickets.

white sox bill
06-27-2009, 09:01 AM
I assume the Sox subcontract security correct? If so, whats that company's name?

Shoeless
06-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Naw, it couldn't happen at Wrigley. No parking lots, so no parking attendants.

Other than the scammers who rent out their driveways and so forth.

Yeah, a story in Wrigley would end with the tickets confiscated and the fans stuck in some non easy out parking lot.

DumpJerry
06-27-2009, 09:09 AM
The Parking Lot security people, all of whom are moonlighting police officers (Chicago, suburban, Cook County Sheriff and Illinois State Police) patrol the tailgating to check for underage drinking. If they see someone who looks too young to shave with a drink, they ask for ID and take appropriate action with respect to the drinking if the person is under 21. I have never seen tickets taken away from underaged drinkers or those who were with the drinkers. The only time I've seen tickets taken away from people outside the park is when they crack down on scalping on the premises in violation of Illinois law (it happened last year during the Red Sox series).

I'm guessing these were not parking lot security people, but rather jerks who spotted several young and easily intimidated people and pretended to be security to get some tickets for resale. The proof of this is the fact that the Sox gave them replacement seats. If this incident was following some sort of team policy, they would not have been allowed into the park.

The OP's sister should follow up with the Sox to see if the police have been notified so that these asswipes are put out of business. Talk about lowlifes.:angry:

twentywontowin
06-27-2009, 09:10 AM
On Wednesday in Lot G I saw a similar incident. Looked as if it was a group of six younger people with a cooler. They just took it out of the SUV, and no more than 30 seconds later security was over by them. Checked the IDs of all of them, and wrote every one of them up with some sort of paper violation, even though clearly no alcohol was consumed yet on premise. What I assumed happened was half the group was over 21, and the others under 21, since nobody was arrested or anything like that. They ended up going into the game immediately after.

Our entire group thought it was ridiculous at the time watching it unfold, and stories like the original post reinforces the fact.

DumpJerry
06-27-2009, 09:12 AM
I don't know them offhand, but maybe somewhere deep in the fine print there's a clause that reserves the right of any staff member to confiscate the tickets.

For misconduct at a game (running on the field, causing a violent disruption in the stands, etc). Not in the parking lot.

I assume the Sox subcontract security correct? If so, whats that company's name?
There are several "companies:"
Chicago Police Department.
Several suburban police departments.
Cook County Sheriff's Police Department.
Illinois State Police.

DumpJerry
06-27-2009, 09:15 AM
On Wednesday in Lot G I saw a similar incident. Looked as if it was a group of six younger people with a cooler. They just took it out of the SUV, and no more than 30 seconds later security was over by them. Checked the IDs of all of them, and wrote every one of them up with some sort of paper violation, even though clearly no alcohol was consumed yet on premise. What I assumed happened was half the group was over 21, and the others under 21, since nobody was arrested or anything like that. They ended up going into the game immediately after.

Our entire group thought it was ridiculous at the time watching it unfold, and stories like the original post reinforces the fact.
Similar? No tickets were taken away.
Possession is illegal by someone under 21, consumption is not required for a violation. Since you were not directly involved in incident, you don't really know what happened or how old those people really are, you're just assuming.

twentywontowin
06-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Similar? No tickets were taken away.
Possession is illegal by someone under 21, consumption is not required for a violation. Since you were not directly involved in incident, you don't really know what happened or how old those people really are, you're just assuming.

To hand out written citations to a group of people who just got to the game two minutes beforehand and just took the cooler out of their trunk without even opening it yet is a little bit preemptive. It was a hard situation to describe but if one were to watch it, you'd honestly question the intentions of the security staff.

DumpJerry
06-27-2009, 09:38 AM
To hand out written citations to a group of people who just got to the game two minutes beforehand and just took the cooler out of their trunk without even opening it yet is a little bit preemptive. It was a hard situation to describe but if one were to watch it, you'd honestly question the intentions of the security staff.
Let's see:
1. Young people pull up.
2. Said people take out a cooler.
3. ID's are checked after said cooler is revealed to have beer or some other alcohol.
4. At least one person is under 21.

I fail to see how the timing of the group's arrival is relevant. We also don't know if this group is known to the security folks from previous incidents. If a police officer sees someone pull a gun, should s/he wait a few minutes to see what happens or should s/take immediate action? You see a potential problem, you nip it in the bud.

From what you describe it seems the intentions of security in this situation is to prevent underaged drinking on property controlled by the White Sox (which, by the way, could potentially expose the Sox to legal liabilities).

twentywontowin
06-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Let's see:
1. Young people pull up.
3. ID's are checked after said cooler is revealed to have beer or some other alcohol.

I fail to see how the timing of the group's arrival is relevant. We also don't know if this group is known to the security folks from previous incidents. If a police officer sees someone pull a gun, should s/he wait a few minutes to see what happens or should s/take immediate action? You see a potential problem, you nip it in the bud.

From what you describe it seems the intentions of security in this situation is to prevent underaged drinking on property controlled by the White Sox (which, by the way, could potentially expose the Sox to legal liabilities).

I understand if a younger crowd has a cooler of beer in their car, because most likely all of them were going to drink, we've all been there. Would it have been that bad to wait two minutes to at least catch them in the act, at least to take out the beer? There was just something not right of security immediately coming up to them and opening their cooler less than a minute after they took it out, unless of course like you said they have had a problem with them before.

I'll tell you one thing though, if I was under 21 and with a group of people over 21, and I was written a citation for drinking when I wasn't drinking, I would have been pretty pissed off. I don't know anyone who wouldn't be.

DumpJerry
06-27-2009, 09:51 AM
I understand if a younger crowd has a cooler of beer in their car, because most likely all of them were going to drink, we've all been there. Would it have been that bad to wait two minutes to at least catch them in the act, at least to take out the beer? There was just something not right of security immediately coming up to them and opening their cooler less than a minute after they took it out, unless of course like you said they have had a problem with them before.

I'll tell you one thing though, if I was under 21 and with a group of people over 21, and I was written a citation for drinking when I wasn't drinking, I would have been pretty pissed off. I don't know anyone who wouldn't be.
Bottom line:
You were not part of the group. You did not hear the conversation. You don't know what transpired.

Also, the security people have an entire parking lot to patrol. They can't spend all their time babysitting a group to see what might happen when they already know what is going on.

DickAllen72
06-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Let's see:
1. Young people pull up.

So if there are any people under 21 in a group does that mean said group cannot have any beer in their cooler? If a middle aged married couple with two 18 year old kids show up in the lot with a cooler filled with three beers for the Dad, three wine coolers for the Mom, and six Pepsis for the kids, will they be "written up" as well?

Anyway, as for the incident in the original post, the people who stold the tickets and scalped them are crooks who committed at least two crimes whether they were corrupt cops or just some low-lifes impersonating Sox security personnel.

twentywontowin
06-27-2009, 10:02 AM
So if there are any people under 21 in a group does that mean said group cannot have any beer in their cooler? If a middle aged married couple with two 18 year old kids show up in the lot with a cooler filled with three beers for the Dad, three wine coolers for the Mom, and six Pepsis for the kids, will they be "written up" as well?

That is sort of what I was getting at. I know younger people over the age of 21 are more likely to provide alcohol to a minor than a parent, but the rules should be consistent across the board (actually getting caught in the act, not preemptively going around and checking everyones cooler).

I know Buffalo Wild Wings, at least the one in Orland Park, has a policy of everyone at the table needs to be 21 for alcohol to be consumed, which is ridiculous.

DumpJerry
06-27-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm thinking the whole group was under 21.

DickAllen72
06-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Well if that was the case it's an entirely different story. In fact, in that case I would say Sox security was very lenient.

twentywontowin
06-27-2009, 10:07 AM

If the whole group was under 21, the beer probably would have been confiscated. But it wasn't, they just put it back into the car and went into the game, which one could probably infer that only a couple of them were over 21. If they were indeed all under 21, then they got off pretty easy.

Just my opinion, I think writing a ticket to the younger people in the group for something that really wasn't a ticketable offense is extreme. Unless they openly admitted to something, then they are just stupid.

Whappeh
06-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Well if that was the case it's an entirely different story. In fact, in that case I would say Sox security was very lenient.
I agree. The whole underage drinking aspect of this means you aren't going to get anywhere because people will just say "They broke the law".

DumpJerry
06-27-2009, 10:11 AM
If the whole group was under 21, the beer probably would have been confiscated. But it wasn't, they just put it back into the car and went into the game, which one could probably infer that only a couple of them were over 21. If they were indeed all under 21, then they got off pretty easy.

Just my opinion, I think writing a ticket to the younger people in the group for something that really wasn't a ticketable offense is extreme. Unless they openly admitted to something, then they are just stupid.
It is entirely possible the citation was non-alcohol related. We just don't know.

Jerko
06-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Well if I had a pay stub (that I assume had the ticket section row and seat on there) and got back into the park, I would have gone right to those seats with a security guard and asked them who sold them those tickets. May not have come to anything but if it WAS a lot worker they could at least narrow it down. This story seems fishy to me. Original post also said they got BACK in. Back in where? the lot? the park? If they got BACK into the park, it means they were already in there, so whoever bought those scalped tickets were in for a surprise if they were scanned already.

roylestillman
06-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I think the issue here is not the citation for underage drinking, which I'm fine with, but its confiscating the tickets and the alledgedly reselling them. The story gets a litle fuzzy there. How did the OP know they were resold and at higher than face? If they were, somebody ought to be fired.

The parking lot people are the worst. Illogical gate opening and closings, "favors" (a la free or preferred) parking given to friends on sidewalks, grass, driveway aprons or the traffic lanes, and general attitude. If this story is true it wouldn't surprise me.

delben91
06-27-2009, 11:38 AM

Anyway, as for the incident in the original post, the people who stold the tickets and scalped them are crooks who committed at least two crimes whether they were corrupt cops or just some low-lifes impersonating Sox security personnel.

I'm curious about this scenario though. Technically, if a family came to the park with alcohol for the parents and non-alcoholic drinks (soda, water) for the kids, could the police give citations to the whole family on the grounds that the minors possessed alcohol?

voodoochile
06-27-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm curious about this scenario though. Technically, if a family came to the park with alcohol for the parents and non-alcoholic drinks (soda, water) for the kids, could the police give citations to the whole family on the grounds that the minors possessed alcohol?

There's a difference because the parents are legal guardians.

twentywontowin
06-27-2009, 12:04 PM
There's a difference because the parents are legal guardians.

Let's say for the sake of discussion the said adults aren't a legal guardian. Should parking lot security hold them to the same standards or rules as say an 18 year old minor with a group of 22 year olds?

I understand the likelihood for underage drinking is higher in the second scenario because if it looks and quacks like a duck, it's a duck, but who's to say the same incidents couldn't happen in the first scenario?

voodoochile
06-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Let's say for the sake of discussion the said adults aren't a legal guardian. Should parking lot security hold them to the same standards or rules as say an 18 year old minor with a group of 22 year olds?

I understand the likelihood for underage drinking is higher in the second scenario because if it looks and quacks like a duck, it's a duck, but who's to say the same incidents couldn't happen in the first scenario?

It's a legally fine line. Same reason a kid could go with his father to a sports bar and watch a game, but couldn't get in with a group of like age friends who happen to be of legal age.

And yes, in theory it could happen with a parent allowing a minor to consume alcohol, but think of the legal ramifications of that act. It's jail and getting the kids put into the foster system and divorce/loss of visitation rights and huge financial implications. Most parents won't risk it, so it's assumed the parent won't allow it.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I think the issue here is not the citation for underage drinking, which I'm fine with, but its confiscating the tickets and the alledgedly reselling them. The story gets a litle fuzzy there. How did the OP know they were resold and at higher than face? If they were, somebody ought to be fired.

The parking lot people are the worst. Illogical gate opening and closings, "favors" (a la free or preferred) parking given to friends on sidewalks, grass, driveway aprons or the traffic lanes, and general attitude. If this story is true it wouldn't surprise me.

I always park in lot G. The last time me and a friend went to a game, I was driving and I was busy putting my wallet away and apparently this 20-something male attendant was yelling at us. We started driving to where he pointed and my buddy told him (yelled) to "calm down" and that "we are going". He then followed us and literally tried to start a fight with my friend. We both laughed at him and told him to calm down, and he eventually walked away. It was ridiculous.

voodoochile
06-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Legally the parking lot people are a separate company from the Sox. Yes, JR owns both companies, but it's not part of the Sox corporate structure. It's contracted out. It's one reason people claim the Sox are hiding revenue or have made that claim in the past. The Sox do get a set yearly fee for the parking and set the prices that are charged (at least I think so) but legally it's not controlled by the Sox. Yes, it's a really fine line and a serious grey area.

JB98
06-27-2009, 02:37 PM
There are so many good reasons to take public transportation to the game. The attitude of the parking lot security is one of them.

Gavin
06-27-2009, 02:44 PM
What an egregious violation of civil rights. Sorry, but you can't TAKE SOMEONE'S PROPERTY ON THE SPOT simply because of whatever crime they are committing.

Anyway, your sister and her friends got pwnt.

34rancher
06-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Wow, look at all the legal eagles around here. The entitlement generation lives on.

As for the entire event, I found it to be a rather interesting development. Makes me wonder if they were even workers or just people walking up and harassing for the tickets. I bet my money on they were scammed by people who were not workers of the lot, and just people "dressed up".

As for all the legal talk (blah blah blah), I just chalk it up to karma for doing something wrong. In fact, I thought it was kinda humorous to see people doing the wrong thing getting a different kind of punishment. Not saying it was right, but definitely interesting...

Jpgr91
06-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Wow, look at all the legal eagles around here. The entitlement generation lives on.

As for the entire event, I found it to be a rather interesting development. Makes me wonder if they were even workers or just people walking up and harassing for the tickets. I bet my money on they were scammed by people who were not workers of the lot, and just people "dressed up".

As for all the legal talk (blah blah blah), I just chalk it up to karma for doing something wrong. In fact, I thought it was kinda humorous to see people doing the wrong thing getting a different kind of punishment. Not saying it was right, but definitely interesting...

You are probably right, Police Officers never break the law, so it MUST be someone else. Maybe you are identifying the wrong group of people as the "entitlement generation"?

People need to know their rights. You are not obligated under any circumstance to show your ID to a person working as a security officer. Even though they may be working as off duty cops, they have no authority to ask for your ID. Just saying "Sir, am I obligated to show you my ID?" and then calmly walking away would have easily prevented this whole problem.

voodoochile
06-27-2009, 03:37 PM
You are probably right, Police Officers never break the law, so it MUST be someone else. Maybe you are identifying the wrong group of people as the "entitlement generation"?

People need to know their rights. You are not obligated under any circumstance to show your ID to a person working as a security officer. Even though they may be working as off duty cops, they have no authority to ask for your ID. Just saying "Sir, am I obligated to show you my ID?" and then calmly walking away would have easily prevented this whole problem.

Well that's all nice and interesting, but for two small issues...

The lots are not public property. They are owned by the Sox. The Sox pay for a license to allow the tailgating to occur. They in turn are bound by the laws that preclude underage drinking and are legally required to prevent it if they want to keep that license. Just as a bouncer at a bar has a right to ask for ID so do the people hired by the Sox/parking company who patrol those lots.

In addition, the options for the underage drinkers are "suck it up and turn over the tickets or deal with the cops. Does it suck to be them? Absolutely, but on the flipside they were attempting to get away with something illegal. Yeah, a lot of people try to drink when they aren't of age and when they get busted, most of them don't get off with a simple "loss of tickets to a sporting event". Compared to spending a night in jail, paying a huge fine and having to have mommy and daddy come bail you out, I think most of the teenagers would choose option one...

Jerko
06-27-2009, 03:43 PM
This whole story just doesn't sound right to me. :scratch:

34rancher
06-27-2009, 03:44 PM

The irony of your statements are so thick. To say that while breaking the law, one should know and exercise their rights. Yeah, I think I identified the entitlement generation pretty spot on.
It sucks that they missed the game, but as voodoo said there were other penalties that could have lasted far longer with greater consequences.

MarkZ35
06-27-2009, 03:50 PM
I agree that if I got caught underage drinking I would much rather just give up my tickets than go to jail but the point that he is saying is that his sister wasn't drinking but was simply accused of guilty by association.

LoveYourSuit
06-27-2009, 03:52 PM
There are so many good reasons to take public transportation to the game. The attitude of the parking lot security is one of them.

Agree.

For a team who preaches a "fan/family friendly environment," the first line of defense to that is the parking lot attendants since they are the first folks you see when you get to the ballpark. They get an "F" in my book. They are the biggest ass hats imagineable.

Jerko
06-27-2009, 03:55 PM
I agree that if I got caught underage drinking I would much rather just give up my tickets than go to jail but the point that he is saying is that his sister wasn't drinking but was simply accused of guilty by association.

They still got into the game though, which I do NOT believe. So the guys in the lot took their tickets and beer but let them stay in the lot, then the group went to a window with a pay stub and bitched that they got their tickets snatched for ILLEGAL drinking and the Sox just let them in? Maybe I'm missing something but *** this makes no sense.

thedudeabides
06-27-2009, 03:56 PM

But it's alright for them to take the law into their own hands and decide their punishment? Especially considering it was for their own monetary gain. Underage drinking is illegal, but so was confiscating and scalping the tickets.

Gavin
06-27-2009, 04:08 PM
But it's alright for them to take the law into their own hands and decide their punishment? Especially considering it was for their own monetary gain. Underage drinking is illegal, but so was confiscating and scalping the tickets.

Yeah, but you don't want to go to jail for asserting your legal property rights, do you?

The codgers in this thread are a joke. Go ahead and call us the entitlement generation; I'll just assume you mean we still feel entitled to our rights.

Jpgr91
06-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Well that's all nice and interesting, but for two small issues...

The lots are not public property. They are owned by the Sox. The Sox pay for a license to allow the tailgating to occur. They in turn are bound by the laws that preclude underage drinking and are legally required to prevent it if they want to keep that license. Just as a bouncer at a bar has a right to ask for ID so do the people hired by the Sox/parking company who patrol those lots.

In addition, the options for the underage drinkers are "suck it up and turn over the tickets or deal with the cops. Does it suck to be them? Absolutely, but on the flipside they were attempting to get away with something illegal. Yeah, a lot of people try to drink when they aren't of age and when they get busted, most of them don't get off with a simple "loss of tickets to a sporting event". Compared to spending a night in jail, paying a huge fine and having to have mommy and daddy come bail you out, I think most of the teenagers would choose option one...

The irony of your statements are so thick. To say that while breaking the law, one should know and exercise their rights. Yeah, I think I identified the entitlement generation pretty spot on.
It sucks that they missed the game, but as voodoo said there were other penalties that could have lasted far longer with greater consequences.

I am not saying that they should have gotten away with underage drinking. I am saying is that one person breaking the law does not give someone else the right to break the law to "punish" them. Rather than folowing procedure and reporting the underage drinkers to an on duty CPD officer, the security officer decided to take the groups tickets while making a profit for himself.

The difference between a bouncer at a bar and a Sox security guard is that a bar is serving liqour so they are legally obligated to card. If the Sox are legally obligated to prevent laws from being broken on their premisie, why do not they not card every person pulling into the parking lot or search every car for drugs?

Even in the case of the bouncer, you are not legally obligated to show your id. You can choose to not show your id, at which point they will deny you entrance. Same situation applies in the Sox parking lot, if you are asked for your ID you can say no and walk away. The security officers have no authority to detain you, so simply walk away.

pilotsox
06-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Voodoo already hit it, but pretty much, your sister and her friends were taken advantage of because they were breaking the law and hence rather unlikely to report any unscrupulous behavior committed by others which might lead to the spotlight landing on them as well.

It's the same reason people rob drug dealers and such. No one's going to call the cops to report that armed men just busted down the door and stole their cocaine stash.

Gavin
06-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Voodoo already hit it, but pretty much, your sister and her friends were taken advantage of because they were breaking the law and hence rather unlikely to report any unscrupulous behavior committed by others which might lead to the spotlight landing on them as well.

It's the same reason people rob drug dealers and such. No one's going to call the cops to report that armed men just busted down the door and stole their cocaine stash.

Are you kidding me? You're comparing underage drinking at a White Sox game to dealing drugs?

Jerko
06-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Are you kidding me? You're comparing underage drinking at a White Sox game to dealing drugs?

Plus if they were sooooooooooo meek and mild and "taken advantage of" they would not have gone into gate 4 with a pay stub after they got "busted" and repeat the story IMO. I don't believe they would give up their tickets THAT easily, then get into the game and APPROACH the people in their seats to find out the tickets were scalped. I don't buy it.

pilotsox
06-27-2009, 04:40 PM

You obviously missed the point.

Drug dealers won't report robberies of their product to the cops because the investigators will inevitably end up looking into their drug activities. Underage drinkers will not report unscrupulous and corrupt behavior against them because the investigators will also end up looking into their drinking and possibly pressing charges. In which case, the best option simply becomes to ignore the corruption, no matter how indignant.

For another analogy, you can note how underage drinkers often won't take sickly fellow partiers to seek medical care because they are afraid of the legal repercussions. At least not in jurisdictions where immunity isn't granted for those kind of things, like where I attended school.

Gavin
06-27-2009, 04:48 PM
You obviously missed the point.

Drug dealers won't report robberies of their product to the cops because the investigators will inevitably end up looking into their drug activities. Underage drinkers will not report unscrupulous and corrupt behavior against them because the investigators will also end up looking into their drinking and possibly pressing charges. In which case, the best option simply becomes to ignore the corruption, no matter how indignant.

For another analogy, you can note how underage drinkers often won't take sickly fellow partiers to seek medical care because they are afraid of the legal repercussions. At least not in jurisdictions where immunity isn't granted for those kind of things, like where I attended school.

You obviously missed the point, where you basically condoned someone stealing from another because the victim was guilty of breaking a minor law. So, that's ok now? Great. Why not smack them around while they're at it? Where do you draw the line?

pilotsox
06-27-2009, 04:54 PM
You obviously missed the point, where you basically condoned someone stealing from another because the victim was guilty of breaking a minor law. So, that's ok now? Great. Why not smack them around while they're at it? Where do you draw the line?

Did I actually say it's ok? Please, enlighten me. Show me where I said being corrupt was acceptable.

All I ever did was explain why the douchebag thought he could get away with something like this, and why the OP's sister wouldn't bother reporting it, and simply accept her losses. And that is because the dude knows that the sister won't want any legal attention on her actions.

If you got anything more than that out of my post, if you were making implications about things that I said, you were looking way too far into it. And you were wrong. I know what I said, and I never said corruption was okay.

Gavin
06-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Did I actually say it's ok? Please, enlighten me. Show me where I said being corrupt was acceptable.

All I ever did was explain why the douchebag thought he could get away with something like this, and why the OP's sister wouldn't bother reporting it, and simply accept her losses. And that is because the dude knows that the sister won't want any legal attention on her actions.

If you got anything more than that out of my post, if you were making implications about things that I said, you were looking way too far into it. And you were wrong. I know what I said, and I never said corruption was okay.

Well, when you hide behind analogies to say what you wanna say, I guess no, technically, I can't pin you down to statements. Good for you. The WSI Court is now in session?

voodoochile
06-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Going nowhere but the Roadhouse if you two keep this crap up...

EuroSox35
06-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Don't take this personally, but your sister and her friends are idiots for both giving up the tickets and doing the underage drinking in public. I'm not some underage drinking prude, I come from a culture where there is 0 taboo about it, but in public in Chicago, especially at a sporting event where power hungry security love flexing muscle... The good thing though is they probably learned something about street smarts.

That is some scummy action by the attendant but it's not really something the Sox control, you reported it or talked to someone about it, so hopefully they'll be on the lookout for things like that

DSpivack
06-27-2009, 07:44 PM
They still got into the game though, which I do NOT believe. So the guys in the lot took their tickets and beer but let them stay in the lot, then the group went to a window with a pay stub and bitched that they got their tickets snatched for ILLEGAL drinking and the Sox just let them in? Maybe I'm missing something but *** this makes no sense.

Yeah something here doesn't seem right. If the security guards took their tickets and resold them, and the tickets were then scanned already, I don't see how they get into the stadium with a pay stub.

daveeym
06-27-2009, 10:16 PM
It is entirely possible the citation was non-alcohol related. We just don't know.Hmm but your opinions seem to be considered gospel. At least someone saw it, you're arguing your point as gospel and you weren't even there.

soxfan43
06-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah something here doesn't seem right. If the security guards took their tickets and resold them, and the tickets were then scanned already, I don't see how they get into the stadium with a pay stub.

Well scanning your tickets really might not mean anything. 2 summers ago during Cubs Sox at Wrigley my buddy and I drunkingly bought 2 tickets for the game from a broker/scalper/whatever and didn't look at the date. We go into Wrigley, had our tickets SCANNED and headed to our seats. Few innings later a group of people show up with our same seats and we realized our tickets were for the next days Cubs/Sox game. And right as we were leaving to find differents seats another pair of poeple came in with tickets that were scanned at the gate but they were for Marlins-Cubs like a week later. Off topic, but just saying the scanning might not be too accurate.

DumpJerry
06-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Hmm but your opinions seem to be considered gospel. At least someone saw it, you're arguing your point as gospel and you weren't even there.
Thank you.

sachin
06-27-2009, 10:56 PM
This whole story is fiction. Think about it from a logical standpoint: You bought two tickets, and have three friends. You give two of your friends the two tickets, and they go in to the stadium. You and your other friend go to the box office with the receipt, and say you did not get your tickets to the game -- the box office would NOT give you the two tickets you said you "Lost" or did not receive. They would say "Sorry, you must purchase another ticket".

Elsewise, everyone else would do this.

Rohan
06-28-2009, 12:54 AM
This whole story is fiction. Think about it from a logical standpoint: You bought two tickets, and have three friends. You give two of your friends the two tickets, and they go in to the stadium. You and your other friend go to the box office with the receipt, and say you did not get your tickets to the game -- the box office would NOT give you the two tickets you said you "Lost" or did not receive. They would say "Sorry, you must purchase another ticket".

So this guy's a :dtroll:.

Case closed.

DSpivack
06-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Well scanning your tickets really might not mean anything. 2 summers ago during Cubs Sox at Wrigley my buddy and I drunkingly bought 2 tickets for the game from a broker/scalper/whatever and didn't look at the date. We go into Wrigley, had our tickets SCANNED and headed to our seats. Few innings later a group of people show up with our same seats and we realized our tickets were for the next days Cubs/Sox game. And right as we were leaving to find differents seats another pair of poeple came in with tickets that were scanned at the gate but they were for Marlins-Cubs like a week later. Off topic, but just saying the scanning might not be too accurate.

Sachin covered it well.

dllrbll7
06-28-2009, 10:19 AM
I could totally see the security doing this. Over the years I have had many interactions with them from writing tickets, threating to confiscated beer, assuming underagers are drinking(when they werent) and trying to be hard asses for no reason.
One time I had the same kind of story, was tailgating and had a extra ticket so took my 16yo sister. No way I would let her drink but that didn't stop them from coming over, carding her and making her go into the game early.
They also do always right down the offenders info, so when you mentioned they were written citations earlier, it may have just been writing down there info in case theres an incident later. Also usually write down your seats because they say "they will watch for you at the game to make sure your not drinking"...

stacksedwards
06-28-2009, 10:59 AM
The bottom line is that once you step or drive into one of those parking lots your expectation of privacy is lowered and you are now subjected to the rules and regulations of the White Sox. The year after Laz Diaz (sp) was attacked I went to a game with a group of guys that were drinking underage. Another guy and myself did not have a drink. The security checked all id's and gave us two choices 1. either keep the tickets and go into the game and have the guys drinking get drinking tickets or 2. they would watch us rip up our tickets and one of us who would had not been drinking would drive home.
We took option two.
If there is a sober driver I think that is probably the best solution because they were in fact breaking the law. In the current situation though the fact that the tickets were re-sold smells of foul play. I really doubt that the Sox policy is to have the tickets re sold for above face value.

BV2005
06-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Plus if they were sooooooooooo meek and mild and "taken advantage of" they would not have gone into gate 4 with a pay stub after they got "busted" and repeat the story IMO. I don't believe they would give up their tickets THAT easily, then get into the game and APPROACH the people in their seats to find out the tickets were scalped. I don't buy it.

I don't know why there are so many doubters... whats so hard to believe.... my sister bought the tickets online and still had the confirmation letter so her and her friends went to the window said they misplaced their tickets. they got new ones and when they got to their seats people were sitting in them with their tickets. they went to complain about it and told customer service what happened and they got new seats.

cbone
06-28-2009, 10:19 PM
The huge flaw in that statement is that every ticket is scanned on entry. So if your sister's tickets were resold and people were already in the park in the seats they(your sister's crowd) would not have been allowed in.

AlleghenySoxFan
06-28-2009, 10:21 PM
When i drank before the game on saturday me and my buddy just tailgated outside the park off michigan just so something like this wouldn't happen. that really pisses me off that a parking attendant would scalp tickets.

BV2005
06-28-2009, 10:36 PM
The huge flaw in that statement is that every ticket is scanned on entry. So if your sister's tickets were resold and people were already in the park in the seats they(your sister's crowd) would not have been allowed in.

not if she has the confirmation letter. the people who entered the park with the old tickets could have stolen them. so when they were confronted on it thats when they said they bought them off a scalper.

sorry if you guys dont believe my story... I didn't think I needed to include every little detail. I just gave a quick description of what happened and tried to get some advice on how to handle it.

kevingrt
06-28-2009, 10:37 PM
I could totally see the security doing this. Over the years I have had many interactions with them from writing tickets, threating to confiscated beer, assuming underagers are drinking(when they werent) and trying to be hard asses for no reason.
One time I had the same kind of story, was tailgating and had a extra ticket so took my 16yo sister. No way I would let her drink but that didn't stop them from coming over, carding her and making her go into the game early.
They also do always right down the offenders info, so when you mentioned they were written citations earlier, it may have just been writing down there info in case theres an incident later. Also usually write down your seats because they say "they will watch for you at the game to make sure your not drinking"...

Yeah I find those guys quite annoying. They just try to be hard-asses. I don't even think they have the authority to write citations or tickets. They jus tlike confiscating beer if you stay too late and then drink it during the game.

BV2005
06-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah I find those guys quite annoying. They just try to be hard-asses. I don't even think they have the authority to write citations or tickets. They jus tlike confiscating beer if you stay too late and then drink it during the game.

yea I was at the game today and the poor people next to me lit their grill up after the game and in no time security swooped by them in their little golf cart and told them to put it out. the couple was confused about why they couldn't have it lit so the 2 guards tipped the grill over and one of them poured his bottle of water on the hot coals. I thought it was very unnecessary.

minutia
06-28-2009, 11:13 PM
I am all in favor of a crack down on the drinking in the parking lot. I think it has gotten way out of hand. I have been in the outfield when people come in about the 4th inning, wasted, continue to drink and make it very unpleasent. Now I cannot prove that they were in the lot but it is not a stretch to assume either. I think the ticket thing, if true, is really bad business and I would be filing an official complaint tomorrow on the phone and in writing with cc's going to the box office manager and the Mr. Brooks Boyer. It at least deserves looking into.

Jerko
06-28-2009, 11:19 PM
I don't know why there are so many doubters... whats so hard to believe.... my sister bought the tickets online and still had the confirmation letter so her and her friends went to the window said they misplaced their tickets. they got new ones and when they got to their seats people were sitting in them with their tickets. they went to complain about it and told customer service what happened and they got new seats.

People doubt the story because that would make it too easy for people to buy a ticket online, keep the confirmation letter, sell or scalp the ticket, and GET INTO THE GAME for nothing with only the letter. If this story is true somebody there needs to be fired and it's not the parking lot guy.

PennStater98r
06-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Let's see:
1. Young people pull up.

So are you saying that - me (37), my dad (57) and brother (35) - with my 20 year old sister and 4 year old son should be written violations for having alcohol in the parking lot. If there is a mixture of those old enough to drink and those not, writing violations prior to any consumption by any of the parties is ridiculous and unwarranted imo. However, if the entire party was younger than 21, that changes the equation - as does any underaged individuals drinking from the cooler or with the of-age individuals.

Bobby Thigpen
06-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Oh, so they lied their butts off to the Sox?

That makes this story even better.:rolleyes:

downstairs
06-29-2009, 02:24 PM

In no way are the Sox responsible for misplaced tickets, and I highly doubt any venue would just give you new tickets. I'm sure tickets have a huge "NOT RESPONSIBLE IF LOST OR STOLEN" disclaimer on them.

Otherwise, it would be far to easy to scam the system and get multiple people in under one ticket.

PennStater98r
06-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Hey - look at my other post on the fights I witnessed in section 508. 3 guys were thrown out of the game for not having tickets. They were warned about being roudy and a few minutes later, security came back and asked - "May we please see your tickets." They recognized that these guys were literally bouncing from seat to seat throughout the first six innings of the game.

The guys claimed they "lost/misplaced" their tickets and were escorted out of the park.

surfdudes
06-29-2009, 03:23 PM
I used to get in to old Comiskey for free (Cops), I used to buy tickets from Cops, and the easiest crime is to steal from the drug dealer because he's not going to the cops, just like underage drinkers won't report parking security to the police. Next time, tell you kid sister to use her camera phone to take a picture of the parking guy, come back another day, find him and set him up by telling the cops that hes scalping. He'll have tickets on him because thats his gig. What a scumbag!

Ron Karkovice
06-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Those are some corrupt attendants (Chicago-style)... They probably all drank before games when they were at that age as well.

The real crime here is the price for a beer inside the stadium.