PDA

View Full Version : The Choice Benched "Long Term"

kevingrt
06-03-2002, 05:03 PM
JM and KW said, "Royce Clayton has been benched for long-term"

This moves Graffy to SS in the immediate future. Soon to have Manos @ SS and Graffy @ 3B.

Any chance @ Crede if Graffy does bad... THINK THINK THINK

pearso66
06-03-2002, 05:07 PM
where did you hear this news. if you ask me, this is the best news ive heard since they started slumping, well actually almost all year

ma-gaga
06-03-2002, 05:10 PM
crap. I mean crap. You know, this is kind of like when Tampa Bay benched Trent Dilfer, I was irked and more scared of the unknown (... jeeze, I can't even remember that kids name...) than the known quality of Dilferness.

:)

kevingrt
06-03-2002, 05:10 PM
The 5:00 SportsCenter Update on ESPN Radio 1000 WMVP... Updates 20, 40, 60. Listen to the interview from Mac, Jurko, & Harry with Kenny Williams @ 6:05. Good Interview... No Ducking of Issues

Sorry I sound like a promoter

Daver
06-03-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
JM and KW said, "Royce Clayton has been benched for long-term"

This moves Graffy to SS in the immediate future. Soon to have Manos @ SS and Graffy @ 3B.

Is anyone else concerned with having Graff play 3B after watching some of his efforts at playing there this season?

Randar68
06-03-2002, 05:16 PM

IF????????

There's a reason Graffy wasn't an everyday player with TAMPA! It's only a matter of time before he returns to .250 and VERY mediocre defense.

Graffy is a GREAT bench/role player, but not much of an everyday player.

Man, if Crede doesn't see time soon, I will really be upset....oops, too late.

But I have to agree.....best news I've heard in at least 7 games!

Randar68
06-03-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by daver

Is anyone else concerned with having Graff play 3B after watching some of his efforts at playing there this season?

<Randar raises hand emphatically>

Ahem!

Jerry_Manuel
06-03-2002, 05:18 PM

Sorta, it's better than an automatic out at the plate. The team simply cannot afford to piss away at-bats right now.

Randar68
06-03-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Sorta, it's better than an automatic out at the plate. The team simply cannot afford to piss away at-bats right now.

We might as well have the pitcher's ba. At least they can get bunts down...

DH for Royce!

Procol Harum

Sure! But this is a case of addition by subtraction if I ever saw one! If this could get Crede up here soon that would be all the better--perhaps it's in the offing? I didn't hear the MVP interview--any clues to be ferreted out of that?

Spiff
Originally posted by ma-gaga
crap. I mean crap. You know, this is kind of like when Tampa Bay benched Trent Dilfer, I was irked and more scared of the unknown (... jeeze, I can't even remember that kids name...) than the known quality of Dilferness.

:)

Shaun King.

He was a resourceful QB, good scrambler but he just couldn't zip it in there. Took them on a good run though.

danman31
06-03-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
crap. I mean crap. You know, this is kind of like when Tampa Bay benched Trent Dilfer, I was irked and more scared of the unknown (... jeeze, I can't even remember that kids name...) than the known quality of Dilferness.The kid's name was Shaun King and Graffy is more of a known that King was. I think Graffy will be good here and there, then will get into a slump and the management is forced to wonder what to do about Crede, Clayton, and Graffy.

Jerry_Manuel
06-03-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Man, if Crede doesn't see time soon, I will really be upset....oops, too late.

But I have to agree.....best news I've heard in at least 7 games!

Well, this move doesn't really open the door for Joe anyway. Clayton isn't going to be on the bench for the rest of the season. I know Randar has said it's time to deal away Jose and Ray, but the team isn't going to do that right now.

Randar68
06-03-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Well, this move doesn't really open the door for Joe anyway. Clayton isn't going to be on the bench for the rest of the season. I know Randar has said it's time to deal away Jose and Ray, but the team isn't going to do that right now.

If there was ever a time...., but you're right, realistically it won't happen. In my heart, I'd rather dump Ray and Royce and keep Jose until Hummel is ready...

kevingrt
06-03-2002, 05:27 PM
This topic must have the most replies, 12, over 20 minutes. Hey but it's huge news, and to some good.

Yeah, but It might work out, he might just want a full-time job. And Royce a great late inning back-up infielder!

FarWestChicago
06-03-2002, 05:40 PM
JM and KW said, "Royce Clayton has been benched for long-term"This is terrible news for the FOB contingent. They will be rudderless. :(:

RedPinStripes
06-03-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
This is terrible news for the FOB contingent. They will be rudderless. :(:

:b&b
Hey but head. How much can one guy suck if he sucked so bad before and he sucks even more now?

Ehh huh huh, Uhhhhhhh...... He sucks!

kiss rocks!

HawkDJ
06-03-2002, 06:34 PM
True to his word, Clayton is benched tonight assuming there is a game. Lofton also gets the night off. Rowand will bat 9th.

MarqSox
06-03-2002, 06:55 PM
:graff
If Royce is The Choice, then you all can call me The Better Choice.

Zednem700
06-03-2002, 06:57 PM
JM and KW said, &quot;Royce Clayton has been benched for long-term&quot;

Hallelujah!

P.S. danman31, there are much better pictures of Natalie Portman available, please do the girl justice in your sig and use them.

KVinc
06-03-2002, 07:02 PM
thank god! Hopefully we can trade Jose now and bring up Tim Hummel and Crede.

MisterB
06-03-2002, 07:52 PM
What I'd like to see on the Sox IF for now:

Konerko - 1B
Durham - 2b
Valentin - SS
Crede - 3B
Clayton - Late inning defensive SS
Graffy - Utility IF / Late inning defensive 2B

Sox are still carrying 12 pitchers - I'd send Ginter back to get Crede up here.

kevingrt
06-03-2002, 07:56 PM
MisterB have you watched Ginter as of late, It doesn't sound like it...

MisterB
06-03-2002, 08:42 PM
MisterB have you watched Ginter as of late, It doesn't sound like it...

Well, it's a tough call, but if Biddle is supposed to wind up in the rotation eventually that means Glover goes back to the pen and Ginter looks like the odd man out if they go with 11 pitchers. I think Ginter would be the only one in that (theoretical) bullpen that we could option to AAA outright.

CubKilla
06-03-2002, 11:13 PM
My sentiments exactly MisterB. Put Jose back at SS and call Crede up and give him a shot at 3rd. Let Ginter stay. Send Choice to AA or A ball to hone his batting skills. Don't think it would happen but we thought we'd be living in a Fantasyworld the day we heard Choice would be demoted. It has finally happened. YES! With Choice riding the pine we are now 1-0! WOO HOO!