PDA

View Full Version : Rogers: Sox Have a Better Future Than Cubs

DSpivack
06-26-2009, 12:20 AM
A rather stunning admission, considering the source.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-26-rogers-cubs-white-sox-jun26,0,5954835.column

rwcescato
06-26-2009, 01:51 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-26-rogers-cubs-white-sox-jun26,0,5954835.column
Wow!! He hates the Sox.

jdm2662
06-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Don't worry, I'm sure the wind will blow the other way if the Cubs take 2 of 3 this weekend...

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-26-2009, 08:29 AM
I love the comment that only Hendry is in the "win it now" mode.

I guess endless bankrolls mean your championships are in the mail, huh Phil?

I agree - Cubs win 2 of 3 this weekend, then all is right on the north side.
Not.

JohnnyInnsbrook
06-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Williams doesn't want to write off 2009, but if the coolstandings.com index dips below 5 percent, realism will rear its ugly head.

HA HA ... If I were the GM of a team, I would base all of my decisions on a web site named coolstandings.com

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-26-2009, 09:40 AM
HA HA ... If I were the GM of a team, I would base all of my decisions on a web site named coolstandings.com

The same way BP gave us less than 100% chance to win the World Series.

After we won the World Series.

TheOldRoman
06-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Phil's readership numbers must be slipping. Even though I agree that we will be better off long term, Rogers wrote this to cause controversy. He wants every Cub fan to say "did you read what that moron wrote?!", and then link to his article. Just stirring up ****. I didn't read it, but does he call Kenny dispicable, or detail or secret plan to trade Buehrle?

This is kind of like in 06, when that sack of crap Sean Sallisbury, who relishes in being a "heel" announcer, much like in wrestling, said on his radio show that the Cubs were pure suck and everyone should be a Sox fan. He then sat back as thousands of morons called his show to bitch. It was more like him saying "Everyone says that 99% of Chicago is Cubs fans, so I should do something to piss them off."

g0g0
06-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Seeing those cap numbers makes my day. Cubbies won't be able to do much for a while. Sox can still pull some free agents to bolster their lineup. Williams has done a pretty good job IMO.

DirtySox
06-26-2009, 11:33 AM
This should be common knowledge to most people. The Cubs have quite a few terrible contracts as well as a terrible farm system. Aside from Vitters, it is pretty barren.

StillMissOzzie
06-26-2009, 01:19 PM
The Cubs are in an almost no-win situation now.

Even if they were to sweep the Sox (perish the thought), they are 8 - 6 vs the AL Central, and hardly the rampant favorite.

If the Cubs were to win 2 out of 3 at the Cell, then they are 7 - 7 vs the AL Central with one makeup game vs the Sox yet to be made up.

Anything worse, and the Cubs tailspin is in full decline. So let's help them on their way.

SMO
:gulp:

hawkjt
06-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Phil hates the Sox...and he is just stating the obvious here.
The cubs have big contract guys who are underperforming in Fukkadome,bradley and soriano...and it seems they are likely to continue to underperform thruout their lengthy contracts.

They have zero flexibility compared to the sox,who will have payroll to spend and prospects to play or trade.

Cubs are starting the downward spiral,while the sox are on an even plane with a future that could improve. With TCQ and TCM along with Gordo,getz and danks/floyd/poreda/richard the sox are rebuilding on the fly...Cubs are aging.

rookie
06-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Do you mean the NL Central?

kitekrazy
06-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Phil hates the Sox...and he is just stating the obvious here.
The cubs have big contract guys who are underperforming in Fukkadome,bradley and soriano...and it seems they are likely to continue to underperform thruout their lengthy contracts.

They have zero flexibility compared to the sox,who will have payroll to spend and prospects to play or trade.

Cubs are starting the downward spiral,while the sox are on an even plane with a future that could improve. With TCQ and TCM along with Gordo,getz and danks/floyd/poreda/richard the sox are rebuilding on the fly...Cubs are aging.

Keep in mind Kenny offered Fukadome more money. Who knows he might have flourished under the Sox.

I think the biggest problem with the Cubs and this has been going on since the Dusty era is while they may have talent there's a lot of immaturity. That has to be what's holding them back.

I think Lou knows it.

white sox bill
06-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Keep in mind Kenny offered Fukadome more money. Who knows he might have flourished under the Sox.

I think the biggest problem with the Cubs and this has been going on since the Dusty era is while they may have talent there's a lot of immaturity. That has to be what's holding them back.

I think Lou knows it.
Immaturity or Prima Donnaism??

Huisj
06-26-2009, 02:38 PM
The same way BP gave us less than 100% chance to win the World Series.

After we won the World Series.

This legend gets bigger every year. I think it was actually that they gave the Sox less than a 100% chance of winning the division after they beat Detroit to clinch a tie with Cleveland, against whom the Sox held the tie breaker--if Cleveland had then swept the Sox to tie, the Indians would have been the wild card team, because they wouldn't use a 1-game playoff to determine who gets 1st and who gets the wildcard. BP didn't have their model set up right to use the tie breaker to award the division championship, and that's why they gave the Sox less than a 100% chance of winning.

I'm not defending BP at all; I'm just doing my best to keep the legend from growing out of proportion.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-26-2009, 02:46 PM
This legend gets bigger every year. I think it was actually that they gave the Sox less than a 100% chance of winning the division after they beat Detroit to clinch a tie with Cleveland, against whom the Sox held the tie breaker--if Cleveland had then swept the Sox to tie, the Indians would have been the wild card team, because they wouldn't use a 1-game playoff to determine who gets 1st and who gets the wildcard. BP didn't have their model set up right to use the tie breaker to award the division championship, and that's why they gave the Sox less than a 100% chance of winning.

I'm not defending BP at all; I'm just doing my best to keep the legend from growing out of proportion.

Good point.

asindc
06-26-2009, 02:47 PM

Even with that, the ridicule is quite valid and no less humorous. When you keep saying that you don't know how the Sox keep surpassing your projections for several years because "play above" the numbers you have crunched, you deserve the constant blasting WSI gives you.

Back on topic: I would think even most knowledgeable Cubs fans would concede this. Rogers is not presenting difficult analysis here.

Huisj
06-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Even with that, the ridicule is quite valid and no less humorous. When you keep saying that you don't know how the Sox keep surpassing your projections for several years because "play above" the numbers you have crunched, you deserve the constant blasting WSI gives you.

Back on topic: I would think even most knowledgeable Cubs fans would concede this. Rogers is not presenting difficult analysis here.

I think the funniest part of the whole thing was that when people called them out on it, they explained that they didn't include the tie breaker in the model because they didn't like it. It was like they created another reality where baseball went by their own rules instead the actual rules . . . oh wait, that's what they try to do anyway most of the time.

TDog
06-26-2009, 03:11 PM

It isn't an admission. It's a guess.

In 1971, Jerome Holtzman said pretty much the same thing. He said the Sox would make it to the World Series before the Cubs. The Sox were coming off a 106 loss season in 1970 and the Cubs had blown a big lead to a team that had never finished higher than ninth before finishing second behind the Pirates. Jack Drees, the White Sox TV guy interviewed Holtzman and asked him about the statement. Holtzman said it was just a guess based on the Cubs weren't going in the right direction.

Of course, he was right, but it had nothing to do with the Sox picking Bee-Bee Richard with the first pick in the draft.

Phil Rogers is just guessing, too.

gosox41
06-29-2009, 04:33 PM

Gotta love it when Phil takes both sides of an issue. That way, he's right either way. If the Sox sucked this year we can go back to his pre-season rip job. If the Sox get hot, then he'll refer to his June job.

And to the comment that the Sox have a better future then the cubs--Duh. The Cubs are bult to win now and have back loaded contracts of veteran players. While they still have a very good chance to win the pathetically weak NL Central in 2009 and 2010, they have some major payroll issues that can hurt their flexibility alond with aging players. Unless they can dump contracts they may be hurting.

Bob