PDA

View Full Version : Rick Porcello- Detroit Tigers

tsoxman
06-25-2009, 10:34 PM
This is an interesting story...the kid was drafted as the 27th pick in 2007 by the Detroit Tigers. The kid has the stuff of a #1 pitcher and the only reason he was drafted that low was because Scott Boras was his agent. So the Tigers, who went to the world series the previous year, take draft hi figuring that because they had such a low draft pick, why not take a chance? Sure enough, they sign him for a package between $7-11 million which pissed off Uncle Buddy because the amount was beyond the 'slotted' amount for a 27th draft pick

Anyway, after a year plus in the minors, Porcello is up with the big club and has an 8-4 record with a terrific ERA. if he continues to do even half as well, he will be a huge bargain for the Tigers. As I look at him, he reminds me a lot like Jack McDowell-tall skinny, throws a lot with his arms- he's good now but because of the way he throws, he seems like an arm injury waiting to happen. Incidentally, Aaron Preda was drafted two spots befor Porcello.

06-25-2009, 10:39 PM
This is an interesting story...the kid was drafted as the 27th pick in 2007 by the Detroit Tigers. The kid has the stuff of a #1 pitcher and the only reason he was drafted that low was because Scott Boras was his agent. So the Tigers, who went to the world series the previous year, take draft hi figuring that because they had such a low draft pick, why not take a chance? Sure enough, they sign him for a package between $7-11 million which pissed off Uncle Buddy because the amount was beyond the 'slotted' amount for a 27th draft pick

Anyway, after a year plus in the minors, Porcello is up with the big club and has an 8-4 record with a terrific ERA. if he continues to do even half as well, he will be a huge bargain for the Tigers. As I look at him, he reminds me a lot like Jack McDowell-tall skinny, throws a lot with his arms- he's good now but because of the way he throws, he seems like an arm injury waiting to happen. Incidentally, Aaron Preda was drafted two spots befor Porcello.

Sweet.

rdivaldi
06-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Really? I've never heard of him nor this story...

cws05champ
06-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Really? I've never heard of him nor this story...
Me either...I don't think it has ever been lamented about on WSI before. :scratch:

DSpivack
06-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Is his name pronounced Porsello or Porchello?

Chrisaway
06-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Is his name pronounced Porsello or Porchello?
The former.

Risk
06-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Not this again.:rolleyes:

Risk

Domeshot17
06-26-2009, 11:33 AM
I hate who he plays for, but I really liked him coming out of high school.

The thing I love about this kid is he seems to be a pitcher, not just a thrower. In Double-A, a coach had told him going deep into counts, striking everyone out, would lead to arm problems and high pitch counts down the road. So the kid redefines the way he pitches in 1 season. He decides to throw balls with more movement and cut them in and out and to start sinking his fastball to induce more groundballs. He learned how to induce contact in the right parts of the zone and did it in 1 great year. Then he gets rushed to the bigs and hes been great. His stats would be 2nd best to Burls on our staff. On top of it all, it is not like he has been taking advantage of his pitchers ballpark. He has a 4 era at home, and a 3 era on the road.

Oblong
06-26-2009, 12:26 PM
I hate who he plays for, but I really liked him coming out of high school.

The thing I love about this kid is he seems to be a pitcher, not just a thrower. In Double-A, a coach had told him going deep into counts, striking everyone out, would lead to arm problems and high pitch counts down the road. So the kid redefines the way he pitches in 1 season. He decides to throw balls with more movement and cut them in and out and to start sinking his fastball to induce more groundballs. He learned how to induce contact in the right parts of the zone and did it in 1 great year. Then he gets rushed to the bigs and hes been great. His stats would be 2nd best to Burls on our staff. On top of it all, it is not like he has been taking advantage of his pitchers ballpark. He has a 4 era at home, and a 3 era on the road.

He didn't pitch in Double A last year. Just Lakeland (A+). He is a ground ball machine.

Domeshot17
06-26-2009, 01:21 PM
He didn't pitch in Double A last year. Just Lakeland (A+). He is a ground ball machine.

Ahh sorry, misunderstood the Tigers system

FloridaTigers
06-26-2009, 02:51 PM
I've actually heard nothing but praise for Porcello's mechanics. Scouts have said that its basically flawless. Whats amazing is Porcello's poise. He doesn't get rattled. He's only 20, but pitches like he's been in the majors for ten seasons.

munchman33
06-26-2009, 03:06 PM
How many Porcello Cy Young awards before the Porcello-haters stop clamoring "at least we got Poreda, I'm perfectly happy with him"?

I say three.

DirtySox
06-26-2009, 03:10 PM
How many people have said that exactly?

I like Poreda, but of course I'd rather have Porcello. Have to work with what we have, not what we could have had.

goon
06-26-2009, 03:30 PM
How many Porcello Cy Young awards before the Porcello-haters stop clamoring "at least we got Poreda, I'm perfectly happy with him"?

I say three.

:dtroll:

munchman33
06-26-2009, 05:37 PM
**** you, being obvious about ridiculous bias isn't trolling. Calling people trolls for having an opinion is.

People wouldn't keep talking about Porcello if 1.) the sox didn't do the cheap thing and pass on vastly superior talent 2.) the biased kool-aid drinkers on the site wouldn't keep pointing at Poreda, who has about zero chance of being as good as Porcello.

I like biased White Sox talk too. But not to the point of obvious ignorance. Not picking Porcello is going to cost us. He's good enough to start winning Cy Youngs now, he's got the stuff, the command, and the intelligence. Complete package ace.

Bobby Thigpen
06-26-2009, 05:47 PM
munch- Is there anything the Sox do that you actually enjoy/appreciate?

DirtySox
06-26-2009, 05:52 PM
This thread is sweet.

goon
06-26-2009, 06:55 PM
**** you, being obvious about ridiculous bias isn't trolling. Calling people trolls for having an opinion is.

People wouldn't keep talking about Porcello if 1.) the sox didn't do the cheap thing and pass on vastly superior talent 2.) the biased kool-aid drinkers on the site wouldn't keep pointing at Poreda, who has about zero chance of being as good as Porcello.

I like biased White Sox talk too. But not to the point of obvious ignorance. Not picking Porcello is going to cost us. He's good enough to start winning Cy Youngs now, he's got the stuff, the command, and the intelligence. Complete package ace.

No actually, **** you.

You're a ****ing baby and you live to antagonize people on this site, it's pathetic and annoying. Any chance you get you dig in on this organization, team and fanbase. You are a troll, there's no other way to put it. I have no idea why you post on this site.

I'll take my banning with glee if it means I get to call you a douchebag. You should be flattered.

munchman33
06-26-2009, 08:17 PM
No actually, **** you.

You're a ****ing baby and you live to antagonize people on this site, it's pathetic and annoying. Any chance you get you dig in on this organization, team and fanbase. You are a troll, there's no other way to put it. I have no idea why you post on this site.

I'll take my banning with glee if it means I get to call you a douchebag. You should be flattered.

Knock the personal attack **** off. I have a different opinion. One that is significantly more based in fact than yours. Bring something more to the table than the troll tag if you disagree with me.

06-26-2009, 08:32 PM

:unsure:

06-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Knock the personal attack **** off. I have a different opinion. One that is significantly more based in fact than yours. Bring something more to the table than the troll tag if you disagree with me.

TheVulture
06-26-2009, 08:34 PM
These are not exactly quality posts that are filling this thread. Shouldn't we at least attempt a quality contribution as a general rule any time we post, instead of ruining what potentially could be a decent conversation with a bunch of bs? If a topic is not worth posting, it will die on its own, no need to shoot it down. Look at the bulk of my posts as examples.

06-26-2009, 08:51 PM
These are not exactly quality posts that are filling this thread. Shouldn't we at least attempt a quality contribution as a general rule any time we post, instead of ruining what potentially could be a decent conversation with a bunch of bs? If a topic is not worth posting, it will die on its own, no need to shoot it down. Look at the bulk of my posts as examples.

This thread was doomed as soon as it was posted and ruined as soon as munchman decided to chime in.

DirtySox
06-26-2009, 08:58 PM
This thread was doomed as soon as it was posted and ruined as soon as munchman decided to chime in.

Pretty much.

Craig Grebeck
06-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Does every team that passed on Porcello have fans like Munch who continue to ignore Poreda's positives and insist that Porcello is destined to be way, way better than any draftee?

TheVulture
06-26-2009, 09:01 PM

Yeah, but that's my point - if it's doomed, then ruining it is only filling the site with a bunch of embarassingly useless crap instead of quality posts. It's not like this is the only thread where it happens.

06-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Does every team that passed on Porcello have fans like Munch who continue to ignore Poreda's positives and insist that Porcello is destined to be way, way better than any draftee?

For their sake, I hope not.

Domeshot17
06-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Some of you people sound like the biggest adult children alive. You realize you are pulling 3rd grade crap here:

Munch says something you don't like, but instead of ignoring it you call him names

then he calls you names

then you call him names

Then people say oh munch ruined the thread and point fingers.

Either way, this wasn't a Poreda vs Porcello thread. It was a holy crap Porcello is as good as advertised thread. Can we get back to that?

06-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Some of you people sound like the biggest adult children alive. You realize you are pulling 3rd grade crap here:

Munch says something you don't like, but instead of ignoring it you call him names

then he calls you names

then you call him names

Then people say oh munch ruined the thread and point fingers.

Either way, this wasn't a Poreda vs Porcello thread. It was a holy crap Porcello is as good as advertised thread. Can we get back to that?

:rolleyes:

Go ahead and get back to it.

rdivaldi
06-26-2009, 10:15 PM

I say three.

How long until your act becomes tired? Oh wait....

rdivaldi
06-26-2009, 10:17 PM
It was a holy crap Porcello is as good as advertised thread. Can we get back to that?

So half-way through his first season we're writing the HOF ticket? Where have I heard this before?

tsoxman
06-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Jesus Christ. For a website that chises and scolds people for being disrespectful there sure are a lot of mean spirited posts on here.

Sorry if I missed all of the previous Rick Porcello posts. My intent was never to imply the Sox should have taken him... His agent was Scott boras enough said,

Domeshot17
06-26-2009, 10:35 PM
So half-way through his first season we're writing the HOF ticket? Where have I heard this before?

Come on now, the Porcello hate is rivaling the Porcello love. The kid is 8-4 with a mid 3 era and 20 years old. Hes been great. If he was on the Sox we would be going nuts

munchman33
06-26-2009, 10:40 PM
How long until your act becomes tired? Oh wait....

The thread started as a Porcello thread. Before I even showed up, there were four snide comments on it, including one in teal you wrote yourself that contributed nothing to the discussion. I make one snide comment to the contrary, and I'm the jerk? Right...

I don't start this ****. But I'm not going to ignore the crap you guys are spewing either. You want to call it "an act," go right ahead. It doesn't change the fact the Sox were cheap and worse off for passing on the kid.

06-26-2009, 11:39 PM
The thread started as a Porcello thread. Before I even showed up, there were four snide comments on it, including one in teal you wrote yourself that contributed nothing to the discussion. I make one snide comment to the contrary, and I'm the jerk? Right...

I don't start this ****. But I'm not going to ignore the crap you guys are spewing either. You want to call it "an act," go right ahead. It doesn't change the fact the Sox were cheap and worse off for passing on the kid.

So were 25 other teams, go torment their fans. ****

munchman33
06-27-2009, 12:11 AM
So were 25 other teams, go torment their fans. ****

Other organizations don't have the resources we do, nor the history of easy signs over talent in drafts.

06-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Other organizations don't have the resources we do, nor the history of easy signs over talent in drafts.

20+, of the 25 teams that could have drafted Porcello, have better resources than the Detroit Tigers. What's your point? Go harass some Dodgers fans. We should have drafted him, we didn't. Big deal. Probably should have drafted Albert Pujols and Ryan Howard as well.

GoSox2K3
06-27-2009, 12:55 AM
No actually, **** you.

:clap:

:rolleyes:Yes, goon, only munch is allowed to make personal attacks.

munchman33
06-27-2009, 01:47 AM
20+, of the 25 teams that could have drafted Porcello, have better resources than the Detroit Tigers. What's your point? Go harass some Dodgers fans. We should have drafted him, we didn't. Big deal. Probably should have drafted Albert Pujols and Ryan Howard as well.

I don't care about the other teams mistakes. I care about our mistakes.

Are you happy with where the White Sox are right now? I'm certainly not.

Bobby Thigpen
06-27-2009, 01:59 AM
I don't care about the other teams mistakes. I care about our mistakes.

Are you happy with where the White Sox are right now? I'm certainly not.
Are you ever happy with where the Sox are?

Bobby Thigpen
06-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Prior, Mark?

munchman33
06-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Are you ever happy with where the Sox are?

2005 was okay.