PDA

View Full Version : *Official* the Dodgers are the best in MLB? 6-25 postgame thread

DumpJerry
06-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Celebrate

soxnut1018
06-25-2009, 05:39 PM
I LOVE me some walk-off baseball! HELL YES!!!:bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

Pear-Zin-Ski
06-25-2009, 05:39 PM
ugly ugly ugly!

a win is a win I guess...let the celebration begin! :bandance:

pilotsox
06-25-2009, 05:40 PM
The Dodgers hadn't lost a series in a month and a day. Until now. Go Sox!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Boondock Saint
So when does Poreda get more innings?

BadBobbyJenks
Oh what a fine line between a mass suicide and a celebration! Scotty Pods!
Poreda looked filthy.

jSDXcpXJr4M

LITTLE NELL
06-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Huge win on our way back to .500 and beyond, lets sweep the Flubs.

EnglishChiSox
Every day i think the Pods bubble will burst but he keeps producing. Great win vs the best in MLB. Bring on the reeling Flubbies.

Soxman219
I can't believe we took 2 out of 3 from the best team in baseball!

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

kittle42
06-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Lots of blown opportunities, but the bullpen did a hell of a job keeping us in it.

Let's ride this into another series win - screw that, sweep - against an NL team this weekend.

DSpivack
I can't believe we took 2 out of 3 from the best team in baseball!

Can't complain about that!

34rancher
:hawk
I luvvvvvv beating Jeff Weaver...

Rohan
06-25-2009, 05:43 PM
YES! HELL YES!

Where's that guy who likes to criticize Ozzie? Where are you for the wins, guy??

voodoochile
Stick a fork in this series...

AJ is the man...

Great job by the bullpen too...

:soxwin:

:)

JB98
I'm pleasantly surprised to see the Sox take two out of three in this series. Great job to battle back from the early 4-0 deficit, and the bullpen pitched terrific. The Sox relievers outlasted the Dodgers relievers.

DickAllen72
06-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Good win but too bad they blew their entire bullpen on this one. If I'm KW, right now I'm sending Richard and Gobble down and bringing up two good bullpen arms for the weekend series.

Also, the Sox need to do something about that horrid defense. Nix has to be starting everyday at 2B. I don't know if Beckham is any good at SS or not but maybe it's time to try flipping him with Ramirez at 3B. Leave Anderson in CF. At least with Nix and Anderson the defense up the middle will be top notch, and Beckham can't be much worse than Ramirez has been at SS, and Alexei probably can play 3B at least as well as Beckham with that arm of his.

Anyway, this series could turn out to be a turning point of the season if they can follow it up with an extended run of good play.

Now let's sweep those ****in' Cubs!

WhiteSox1989
06-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Scotty ****ing Pods.

DickAllen72
06-25-2009, 05:46 PM
AJ is the man...

Yes. Yes he is. :gulp:

BoysMom3
Just caught the end of this one. Very nice!

TheAnswer32
YES! HELL YES!

Where's that guy who likes to criticize Ozzie? Where are you for the wins, guy??

I can't believe I just got called out on an internet message board.

Anyways, what a game! I'm exhausted from watching it and I've been in AC all day.

Rohan
06-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Anyway, this series could turn out to be a turning point of the season if they can follow it up with an extended run of good play.

Amen to that!

Rikirk
Podsie does it again...

Hell yeah...:happyguy:

slavko
Poreda looked filthy.

jSDXcpXJr4M

He looked like a killer against the lefties but picked away at a weak RHB. Here I was set to go off on a long rant about how good teams win these kinds of games and we don't, but, hey, we might be a good team. Congrats to Ozzie for not wasting AJ with a sac bunt in the 13th. Lotta good strategy in that inning, on both sides. Baseball is the subtlest and most beautiful game that was ever invented.

The game winning hit almost makes up for what he did to that fly ball that cost 2 runs. I take back everything I said before about him being a better fielder now than 2005.

BadBobbyJenks
Ozzie unloading on Alexei in the post game presser.

Over By There
06-25-2009, 05:48 PM
YES! HELL YES!

"Answers" aren't required when the Sox win. :wink:

mzh
Good win but too bad they blew their entire bullpen on this one. If I'm KW, right now I'm sending Richard and Gobble down and bringing up two good bullpen arms for the weekend series.

Also, the Sox need to do something about that horrid defense. Nix has to be starting everyday at 2B. I don't know if Beckham is any good at SS or not but maybe it's time to try flipping him with Ramirez at 3B. Leave Anderson in CF. At least with Nix and Anderson the defense up the middle will be top notch, and Beckham can't be much worse than Ramirez has been at SS, and Alexei probably can play 3B at least as well as Beckham with that arm of his.

Please explain to me why it makes sense to do this for the sake of one series :scratch:

DickAllen72
What's he saying???

Rohan
I can't believe I just got called out on an internet message board.

Anyways, what a game! I'm exhausted from watching it and I've been in AC all day.

I bet Ozzie can't believe there are guy's like you who have a vendetta against him who post on message boards either.

I enjoy the positive words coming from you. Let's see how long it lasts.

LoveYourSuit
This IMO is the biggest win of the year so far. This might be the turning point we were all looking for. Let's hope.

On another note, how much longer can you afford to continue to trott out a < 5 inning pitcher every 5 days? Clayton is suicide to a ML bullpen. We need to go a different direction there.

mzh
06-25-2009, 05:49 PM
This IMO is the biggest win of the year so far. This might be the turning point we were all looking for. Let's hope.

On another note, how much longer can you afford to continue to trott out a < 5 inning pitcher every 5 days? Clayton is suicide to a ML bullpen. We need to go a different direction there.

Perhaps Poreda has earned himself a start?

QueerGirrl
06-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Poreda looked filthy.

jSDXcpXJr4M

That is awesome!!!

Yooouuuuu!!! You got what I neeeeeeddddddd!!! :bandance:

DickAllen72
06-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Please explain to me why it makes sense to do this for the sake of one series :scratch:
Because the bullpen is shot now and you don't need Richard for at least five days and Poreda can take his next turn if Colon isn't ready. Gobble isn't much use anyway. That's why.

Unless you'd rather not protect Dotel, Thornton, Linebrink, Carrasco and risk messing them up by overpitching them.

mzh
06-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Because the bullpen is shot now and you don't need Richard for at least five days and Poreda can take his next turn if Colon isn't ready. Gobble isn't much use anyway. That's why.

And who exactly do you bring up in return? I can understand doing that with Gobble, but why use up Richard's options?

BadBobbyJenks
06-25-2009, 05:51 PM
What's he saying???

Lazy defense really pisses him off.

He is going to find out what happened out there real soon don't you worry.
He questions saying Alexei was going to be so good in January and better than Ozzie, because Ozzie Guillen was never this bad.

thomas35forever
06-25-2009, 05:51 PM
I loved Pods running around afterward.:D:

This series win will be a big morale boost for this club, especially in the fashions in which they won.

MarySwiss
06-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Just caught the end of this one. Very nice!

Me too, BM3. I left work in the middle of the inning, drove like mad to get home, turned on the game JUST IN TIME to see the winning hit from ScottiePods!

Carolina Kenny
06-25-2009, 05:54 PM

Ozzie called TCM out big time. Calling a player "lazy" is one of the worst things you can say.

Ozzie said a bad word that starts with s and ends with t. But he can be so hard to understand that no one cares.

This is why I love Ozzie.

LoveYourSuit
06-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Ozzie called TCM out big time. Calling a player "lazy" is one of the worst things you can say.

Ozzie said a bad word that starts with s and ends with t. But he can be so hard to understand that no one cares.

This is why I love Ozzie.

I think we will be finding Beckham at SS very soon if this keeps up.

SoxGirl4Life
Listened to the game winner on the way home! Big win! Huge win! Bring on the weekend! :bandance::bliss::bandance:

chisoxfanatic
I'm so glad we cashed in on the bases loaded nobody out situation.

DickAllen72
06-25-2009, 05:59 PM

Back in '05 when AJ hit that walkoff against the Dodgers I knew it was the Sox' year. This wasn't of that magnitude, but perhaps it will be a turning point.

And you're spot on that the Sox need to protect that bullpen. That's why I suggest they send down Richard and Gobble tonight and bring up a couple of fresh arms by tomorrow. Richard's next start can be handled by either Poreda or Colon, and he can be recalled to go back to the bullpen in ten days or so.

LITTLE NELL
06-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Was there a particular play that TCM was lazy on?

mzh
06-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Was there a particular play that TCM was lazy on?

He lollipopped an easy throw to first base that allowed a runner to reach that eventually scored. if it doesn't happen, the game is over 4innings sooner.

Carolina Kenny
06-25-2009, 06:03 PM
I think we will be finding Beckham at SS very soon if this keeps up.

Ozzie is taking this very personally and emotionally. TCM play has embarressed him.

Especially since the interleague games are not as important as division games, it is very likely that Bacon will play SS the next game.

Demps2
06-25-2009, 06:04 PM
good win. defense needs to improve, along with situational hitting. this game should have ended long before it did. no complaints, just the truth. these guys make things too interesting at times. that last inning on offense was almost horrifying to watch, but then Pods comes through. don't know what's wrong w/ Alexei in the field. he needs to put more on his throws to first. also, we have to be careful about how much we use our pen (not that we had much choice in this one) but you don't want these guys arms falling off in August.

KyWhiSoxFan
06-25-2009, 06:05 PM
A game like this is the reason I have been saying for some time that it is time to get Richard out of the rotation already. It takes him 100 pitches to get to 5 inninigs, so he's never going to get to the 7th or 8th for the team, and the bullpen has to be hard used every time he pitches.

Richard needs to go to the pen and be a long man, pitching two or three innings. Once the hitters see him a second time, he's useless anyway.

I don't now if Poreda can go more than 5, but if he can't, call up Torres and give him a shot. The Richard-as-a-starter era needs to end.

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Ozzie is taking this very personally and emotionally. TCM play has embarressed him.

Especially since the interleague games are not as important as division games, it is very likely that Bacon will play SS the next game.
I wouldn't mind Bacon playing SS and Fields playing 3B with the way Alexei not only isn't fielding well, but is also swinging at everything. He needs to work on both his timing and fielding.

DonnieDarko
06-25-2009, 06:08 PM
I usually back up TCM.

But what he did today was inexcusable. I was ****ing pissed. He nearly cost us the game.

Railsplitter
06-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Maybe the Sox finally have their **** together.

Carolina Kenny
06-25-2009, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't mind Bacon playing SS and Fields playing 3B with the way Alexei not only isn't fielding well, but is also swinging at everything. He needs to work on both his timing and fielding.

TCM was having a terrible day at the plate. He was taking his hitting problems out to the defense. Ozzie is really pissed about that.

TCM has actually heated up. In the( last 14 days including 89today) he has hit .289 with 4 HR. That is outstanding production for a SS.

JB98
06-25-2009, 06:15 PM
I've been saying for awhile that we should put Ramirez in CF and let Beckham play SS. Put Fields back at 3B and see if he can rebuild his trade value.

When you have a prospect like Beckham, I think you only make him change positions if you already have an elite guy at that spot. Ramirez is not an elite shortstop.

JB98
06-25-2009, 06:16 PM
TCM was having a terrible day at the plate. He was taking his hitting problems out to the defense. Ozzie is really pissed about that.

TCM has actually heated up. In the( last 14 days including 89today) he has hit .289 with 4 HR. That is outstanding production for a SS.

TCM's offense has been streaky, but respectable. That's the least of his problems.

chisox12
06-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Nice win. Great job by the bullpen to shut them down at the end there. Alexei really needs to get his **** together. All this talk last year of how great a SS he is hasn't been showing at all. But other than that, let's sweep the Cubs!

Carolina Kenny
06-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Moving players around is fun to think about. Especially since we have a plethora of multi-position players.

More important is what Ozzie said during his press conference.

Keeping Dye healthy may really be the key thing.

FielderJones
06-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Lazy defense really pisses him off.

He is going to find out what happened out there real soon don't you worry.
He questions saying Alexei was going to be so good in January and better than Ozzie, because Ozzie Guillen was never this bad.

But Ozzie never calls out Latin players. That's unpossible!

kevingrt
06-25-2009, 06:36 PM
So we've won three of our last four series and tied the other 1-1 and this team still does not look like it is playing its best. And we beat two division leading teams in the process. Is this a good thing as in we have not hit our potential and keep on winning or the NL is real bad?

SoxGirl4Life
06-25-2009, 06:42 PM
So we've won three of our last four series and tied the other 1-1 and this team still does not look like it is playing its best. And we beat two division leading teams in the process. Is this a good thing as in we have not hit our potential and keep on winning or the NL is real bad?

yes.

TDog
06-25-2009, 06:51 PM
I missed most of the game because I had things to do today. At lunch I saw that the Sox had scored, then taken the lead and then surrendered it in the seventh. I was prepared for the worst because the bullpen has been so shaky lately.

Anyway, it was nice to find a win when I got back to my computer. I haven't read all the pages in this thread, so I don't know how original this sentiment is, but it also justifies pitching decisions made Wednesday night. Not pitching Carrasco longer kept him available for today's game. Not putting in Linebrink or Thornton and only having Dotel pitch to one man kept them fresh. Poreda was pretty much the end of their bullpen, and he benefited from not pitching Wednesday night.

It worked.

I still think the Dodgers are the best team in baseball, but only one of their starters shut down the Sox. Indeed, that worked out nicely.

GoGoCrede
06-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Just got back from the game, the longest I've ever been. The news about Michael Jackson spread through the stadium around the 9th.

The weather was perfect, I didn't sweat my butt off like I thought I would.

Seeing the likes of Billy Pierce and Luis Aparicio made the game worth it. Even if we had lost, it would have been worth going just to see them. I was honored. I wish I'd been alive during those years.

I held my breath when Linebrink was brought in, but luckily he made it. Dotel looked sharp.

guillensdisciple
06-25-2009, 07:02 PM
A game like this is the reason I have been saying for some time that it is time to get Richard out of the rotation already. It takes him 100 pitches to get to 5 inninigs, so he's never going to get to the 7th or 8th for the team, and the bullpen has to be hard used every time he pitches.

Richard needs to go to the pen and be a long man, pitching two or three innings. Once the hitters see him a second time, he's useless anyway.

I don't now if Poreda can go more than 5, but if he can't, call up Torres and give him a shot. The Richard-as-a-starter era needs to end.

Can people not improve over a season or do we just hand down judgments after barely any games pitched. I like the kids stuff, and believe that he deserves a chance.

I am very happy the Sox won, and can only hope that this is the moment that turns the Sox around into a over .500 team. I hate mediocrity; it is so irritating to watch.

What happened during the game that sparked the Ozzie comments about Alexei?

JB98
06-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Can people not improve over a season or do we just hand down judgments after barely any games pitched. I like the kids stuff, and believe that he deserves a chance.

I am very happy the Sox won, and can only hope that this is the moment that turns the Sox around into a over .500 team. I hate mediocrity; it is so irritating to watch.

What happened during the game that sparked the Ozzie comments about Alexei?

Two errors on extremely routine plays, including one that cost Carrasco the tying run in the seventh. Ramirez lollipopped a throw over to first with the catcher running and pulled Paulie well off the bag. Lazy, lazy, lazy. Then, he bobbled a routine grounder in the 10th. Jenks struck a couple guys out and pitched over that mistake.

Red Barchetta
06-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Back in '05 when AJ hit that walkoff against the Dodgers I knew it was the Sox' year. This wasn't of that magnitude, but perhaps it will be a turning point.

And you're spot on that the Sox need to protect that bullpen. That's why I suggest they send down Richard and Gobble tonight and bring up a couple of fresh arms by tomorrow. Richard's next start can be handled by either Poreda or Colon, and he can be recalled to go back to the bullpen in ten days or so.

Speaking of AJ...what is his BA and slugging pct. when wearing the 59' retro unis?! :smile:

Go Sox! Too bad the Flubs couldn't help us out in Detroit. We took 2/3 vs. Milwaukee, 2/3 vs. Cincinnati. The Cubs sweep the Tribe but then lose three to Detroit. Too bad it wasn't the other way.

jabrch
06-25-2009, 07:54 PM
This team is not great - but it is not terrible either.

Jim Shorts
06-25-2009, 08:02 PM
I am an unabashed Alexei fan, however I could not be happier to see Ozzie throw him under the bus, pull him out and throw him under again. It's almost like he was *****footing around the Cuban.

I was so excited to see AR at SS this year and defensively he's been a disappointment. Concentrate for a full nine innings on the field and in the box, dammit.

Here's to hoping that Ozzie's post game has the effect that we all want on Alexei.

Konerko05
06-25-2009, 08:04 PM
I'd be all for trading Alexei if the Sox had a decent option at 3B.

I do not want to see a rookie at SS playing next to Fields.

JB98
06-25-2009, 08:16 PM
The real issue here isn't Anderson, though. It's Ramirez.

Thank goodness we won the damn game, but we did so in spite of our shortstop, who is making too many damn errors.

I feel like I already know what Brian Anderson can and can't do. Ramirez, though, is baffling me.

What do you guys think? Will he be the starting shortstop on our next CHAMPIONSHIP team? :scratch:

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2009, 08:19 PM
What do you guys think? Will he be the starting shortstop on our next CHAMPIONSHIP team? :scratch:
I didn't like KW's move of not keeping OC. TCM is a better 2B, and that OC/TCM 6-4 combo was damn nails last year.

KW raised our season ticket packages 9%, so he had money to spend!

Law11
06-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Great game today withstood the heat for 11 of it and had to leave then was getting text after text about Michael jackson.. Just a very strange ride home. last 2 innings of the Sox game and Michael jackson tributes.

Jim Shorts
06-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Great game today withstood the heat for 11 of it and had to leave then was getting text after text about Michael jackson.. Just a very strange ride home. last 2 innings of the Sox game and Michael jackson tributes.

You missed the end of the game?

JB98
06-25-2009, 09:12 PM
I didn't like KW's move of not keeping OC. TCM is a better 2B, and that OC/TCM 6-4 combo was damn nails last year.

I wasn't sad to see Cabrera go. I'm not going to criticize KW for that, because I was totally in favor of moving Ramirez to shortstop for this season.

But now I'm not convinced Ramirez is the long-term solution at SS. Hopefully, he responds to Ozzie's tough love. If he doesn't, then what?

KyWhiSoxFan
06-25-2009, 09:23 PM
I was not enthusiastic at seeing Ramirez moved from 2nd to SS this year in the first place. He did well at 2nd, adapted well, and looked decent there. The 2nd base the position is much lower key than SS, where that player is identified as the an infield leader. At SS, the image Ramirez is projecting right now is not good. I think it would be better to have him at 2nd or CF and Beckham at SS.

Long term, which is beyond this year, I don't see Ramirez being the main man of the Sox infield.

mccoydp
06-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Missed the game due to work, but I watched all of the highlights.

Good, timely hitting by the Sox, especially Pods. I hope he keeps doing whatever it is he's doing to be such a productive player on this team.

I love the 1959 unis!

:winner

WizardsofOzzie
06-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but this was in the game notes on the recap at ESPN

After the game, Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen was more upset about two "lousy and lazy" errors by Ramirez than he was happy about the victoryGood to know Ozzie is gonna get on Alexi for that crap

EDIT: after looking through the thread a little more, I see it's been mentioned. My bad!

TheVulture
06-25-2009, 09:41 PM

Say what you will about his fielding, but Alexei is .281/.340/.506 in June. He's already surpassed his walk total from last year and his strikeout rate is still solid, one of the lowest on the team.

doublem23
06-25-2009, 09:42 PM
So when does Poreda get more innings?

Hopefully he will be starting for Richard next time around.

doublem23
06-25-2009, 09:45 PM
I've been saying for awhile that we should put Ramirez in CF and let Beckham play SS. Put Fields back at 3B and see if he can rebuild his trade value.

Josh Field striking out every other at bat will definitely get team breaking down the door to acquire him.

JB98
06-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Josh Field striking out every other at bat will definitely get team breaking down the door to acquire him.

Never know. A couple years back, the Sox found a taker for Joe Borchard and got a pretty damn good relief pitcher in return.

doublem23
06-25-2009, 09:51 PM

The answer to our problems is a moody shortstop hitting .243/.289/.313.

TheAnswer32
06-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Just watched the game for the second time cause I knew I wouldn't hear the name "Michael Jackson" for 3 straight hours if I just left CSN on. What I noticed this time around was TCQ running onto the field to celebrate after the win. If he can do that, he can play LF. Let's go!

Woofer
06-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Just watched the game for the second time cause I knew I wouldn't hear the name "Michael Jackson" for 3 straight hours if I just left CSN on. What I noticed this time around was TCQ running onto the field to celebrate after the win. If he can do that, he can play LF. Let's go!

I saw that too, he looked good. I wondered if anyone else had noticed that.

WhiteSoxOnly
06-25-2009, 10:28 PM

I'm watching the game replay on the Dodger station out here
right now,so i can't wait to see that.The stellar SS play today
by Ramirez is also a must-see.Looking ahead to tomorrow,we
need Contreras to go deep in to the game.Nine innings and a
complete game shutout is preferable.Oh yeah,let's score at
least one more run than them.

mzh
06-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Never know. A couple years back, the Sox found a taker for Joe Borchard and got a pretty damn good relief pitcher in return.

And perhaps to some degree Fields has even more trade value than Borcahrd because he has already produced a solid Major League season. Maybe we can pick up Jose Arredondo if Fields hits one 505 feet?

TheAnswer32
06-25-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm watching the game replay on the Dodger station out here
right now,so i can't wait to see that.The stellar SS play today
by Ramirez is also a must-see.Looking ahead to tomorrow,we
need Contreras to go deep in to the game.Nine innings and a
complete game shutout is preferable.Oh yeah,let's score at
least one more run than them.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200906255240069&c_id=cws

^^^if you wanna see quentin

WhiteSox1989
06-25-2009, 10:49 PM

That was the first thing I noticed.

Get 'em out there, Ozzie.

..wishful thinking, eh?

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Seeing TCQ looking like that, I wouldn't be opposed to having him used to either pinch-hit in late-inning situations or DH (if Ozzie MUST give Thome a day off).

WhiteSoxOnly
06-25-2009, 11:21 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200906255240069&c_id=cws

^^^if you wanna see quentin

Ok i cheated...and TCQ was hopping around there wasn't he ? i just
hope he lets that foot heal completely.I would rather he sit out the
rest of the year if that's what it took for it to be right.Hell,if surgery
is the answer it's a lot better than Carlos tearing the foot up by coming
back to early.

Just saw Alexei's 7th inning error on the replay and that was awful.
And to think he did that again makes the blood pressure shoot up.

Cuck the Fubs
06-25-2009, 11:36 PM

OC hates the cold weather, you know that winter that lasts until oh, the end of June. :smile:

ChiSoxGirl
06-26-2009, 12:40 AM
I <3 Podsednik. That is all. :wink:

Foulke You
06-26-2009, 12:54 AM
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but Alexei Ramirez's baffling defensive lapses have reminded me a bit of Jose Valentin to an extent. Both shortstops have strong arms, HR power, and a knack for making the spectacular plays while booting some basic routine ones for no good reason.

WizardsofOzzie
06-26-2009, 10:20 AM
I <3 Podsednik. That is all. :wink:
Every time he has a good game, I think of you :smile:

comiskey2000
06-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but Alexei Ramirez's baffling defensive lapses have reminded me a bit of Jose Valentin to an extent. Both shortstops have strong arms, HR power, and a knack for making the spectacular plays while booting some basic routine ones for no good reason.

Good point. Alexei doesn't have a horribly annoying at-bat soundclip, though.

ChiSoxGirl
06-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Every time he has a good game, I think of you :smile:

Awww... you're so nice. :smile:

khan
06-26-2009, 11:57 AM
And perhaps to some degree Fields has even more trade value than Borcahrd because he has already produced a solid Major League season.I didn't think Borchard had any value, and I don't think Fields is worth anything, either. I'm still STUNNED that Borchard returned anything, let alone an effective pitcher like Thornton.

I've advocated shipping Fields out of town since his lucky 2007 season. But then again, if KW did, the team might be short on strikeout kings/outright defensive liabilities.

ode to veeck
06-26-2009, 11:58 AM
And perhaps to some degree Fields has even more trade value than Borcahrd because he has already produced a solid Major League season. Maybe we can pick up Jose Arredondo if Fields hits one 505 feet?

:tealtutor:

ode to veeck
06-26-2009, 12:02 PM

who the **** is bacon

TheAnswer32
06-26-2009, 12:08 PM
who the **** is bacon

Worst. Nickname. Ever.

ode to veeck
06-26-2009, 12:11 PM
The Valentin to Alexi comparison is not a bad one, particularly accurate on the ocassional phenom play. That said, I think there was a reason we called Jose Manos and that Alexi's a better potential fielder physically, but unfortunately as Yogi said, "it's 50% physical and 90% mental" and Alexi's just making mentally bad plays or isn't focused wayyy too often for the "captain of the IF" SS position. He does have a gun, and if Beckman's stick starts to make us think he's gonna stick around, the out of place 3B to natural SS swap might be an interesting one. At least, you'd get a guy at SS who is on paper comfortable and consistent with the leather there. Either that or Ozzie gives Alexi the cattle prod up the ass treatment to wake his ass up at SS like you would think he is capable of.

khan
06-26-2009, 12:23 PM
who the **** is bacon

Some mouthbreathing morons got all tingly making up a nickname for a player that is all of 18 games into his career. What's worse is that these same clowns came up with this stupid nickname based on OG's accent/his pronunciation of a player's name, not anything clever.

DumpJerry
06-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Some mouthbreathing morons got all tingly making up a nickname for a player that is all of 18 games into his career. What's worse is that these same clowns came up with this stupid nickname based on OG's accent/his pronunciation of a player's name, not anything clever.
I use it. So what if he is "18 games into his career?"

If you don't like it, don't use it. Next time, we'll run potential nicknames by you before usage.

DumpJerry
06-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Worst. Nickname. Ever.
Worse sentence structure ever. No verbs. Two of the sentences seem to be missing a subject. Just single words.

thedudeabides
06-26-2009, 12:35 PM
The Valentin to Alexi comparison is not a bad one, particularly accurate on the ocassional phenom play. That said, I think there was a reason we called Jose Manos and that Alexi's a better potential fielder physically, but unfortunately as Yogi said, "it's 50% physical and 90% mental" and Alexi's just making mentally bad plays or isn't focused wayyy too often for the "captain of the IF" SS position. He does have a gun, and if Beckman's stick starts to make us think he's gonna stick around, the out of place 3B to natural SS swap might be an interesting one. At least, you'd get a guy at SS who is on paper comfortable and consistent with the leather there. Either that or Ozzie gives Alexi the cattle prod up the ass treatment to wake his ass up at SS like you would think he is capable of.

I agree it's a bit early for the Valentin comparisons. I'm not about to stick up for Alexei's mistakes yesterday, and his overall play as of late, but I think he can be a much better SS than he has been. I think this is again a bit reactionary to his poor effort yesterday. He's still adjusting to playing SS, at this level, and he will continue to have to make adjustments for a while. I know he's 27, but he's still a young player in this league, and it's a faster game, than any other league he's ever played in. Some forget he never played a day in the minor leagues.

I think he just needs a good kick in the ass, and Ozzie gave him one yesterday. Ozzie seems to take his play to heart, as he has been talking up his play at SS , for a while now. I'm sure he had some choice words for him behind closed doors. Hopefully, this will help him focus. It has been about focus, not ability.

Now, if this continues after it has been brought to his attention that it's unacceptable, then you think about a position change. For now, he had a terrible game, that luckily didn't cost the Sox a win. That's it. Play hard moving foraward and the rest should take care of itself.

khan
06-26-2009, 12:46 PM

It's dumb. It's not inventive, it doesn't describe the player's abilities, attributes, or personality. It doesn't really reference anything, other than the manager's useage of English as a 2nd language.
Here's a better idea: Get an interview with Beckham on WSI, and ask him if he has a nickname. Althernatively, ask him he's called anything other than "Gordon" or "Beckham," other than his manager's accented version thereof.
It's entirely too early into his career, IMO. If he has a career as we all hope he will have, OG will be long gone from the SOX, and this stupid crap will be remembered as being so stupid as to be cub-like. [After all, according to those racist assclowns at the urinal, "Ozzie mows Wrigley," right?]
If you don't like it, don't use it. Next time, we'll run potential nicknames by you before usage.
Better yet, let's ask Beckham instead.

DumpJerry
06-26-2009, 12:48 PM
It's dumb. It's not inventive, it doesn't describe the player's abilities, attributes, or personality. It doesn't really reference anything, other than the manager's useage of English as a 2nd language.
Here's a better idea: Get an interview with Beckham on WSI, and ask him if he has a nickname. Althernatively, ask him he's called anything other than "Gordon" or "Beckham," other than his manager's accented version thereof.
It's entirely too early into his career, IMO. If he has a career as we all hope he will have, OG will be long gone from the SOX, and this stupid crap will be remembered as being so stupid as to be cub-like. [After all, according to those racist assclowns at the urinal, "Ozzie mows Wrigley," right?]

Better yet, let's ask Beckham instead.
You're right. Player nicknames never change.:rolleyes:

ode to veeck
06-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Worse sentence structure ever. No verbs. Two of the sentences seem to be missing a subject. Just single words.

LMAO. 2nd worst sentence structure ever. Three of four sentences are not sentences and have unattached clauses with no verbs. I can't even imagine how to begin to draw a sentence diagram for these. :?:

Don't need to run anything by anyone. I'll just continue to bash the insult to both bacon and our up and coming 3rd baseman. As far as the nickname goes, it is not as bad as the one that people used for Iguchi, which it turned out, is extremely derogatory venacular Japanese for a certain part of female anatomy, but it is close.

ode to veeck
06-26-2009, 12:52 PM
I agree it's a bit early for the Valentin comparisons. I'm not about to stick up for Alexei's mistakes yesterday, and his overall play as of late, but I think he can be a much better SS than he has been. I think this is again a bit reactionary to his poor effort yesterday. He's still adjusting to playing SS, at this level, and he will continue to have to make adjustments for a while. I know he's 27, but he's still a young player in this league, and it's a faster game, than any other league he's ever played in. Some forget he never played a day in the minor leagues.

I think he just needs a good kick in the ass, and Ozzie gave him one yesterday. Ozzie seems to take his play to heart, as he has been talking up his play at SS , for a while now. I'm sure he had some choice words for him behind closed doors. Hopefully, this will help him focus. It has been about focus, not ability.

Now, if this continues after it has been brought to his attention that it's unacceptable, then you think about a position change. For now, he had a terrible game, that luckily didn't cost the Sox a win. That's it. Play hard moving foraward and the rest should take care of itself.

I agree, the experiment should continue a little farther down the Ozzie motivational path. At least the Fields at 3rd era is over. :redneck

khan
06-26-2009, 12:54 PM
You're right. Player nicknames never change.:rolleyes:
Thank you for agreeing with me.

Thank you for recognizing how stupid "bacon" is, too.

Bob G
06-26-2009, 01:22 PM
I was at the game and it was very strange when it started to rain while there was bright sunshine on the field.

In any case, one other tidbit was the Dodgers SP Billingsley only gave up 3 HR's the entire season going into the game and we managed to hit 2.

Too bad Beckham isn't hitting better - I wouldn't mind seeing him at SS for a few games but I don't think we can afford to lose TCM at the plate even though he looked terrible yesterday.

thedudeabides
06-26-2009, 01:43 PM
I was at the game and it was very strange when it started to rain while there was bright sunshine on the field.

In any case, one other tidbit was the Dodgers SP Billingsley only gave up 3 HR's the entire season going into the game and we managed to hit 2.

Too bad Beckham isn't hitting better - I wouldn't mind seeing him at SS for a few games but I don't think we can afford to lose TCM at the plate even though he looked terrible yesterday.

It's funny that the Sox can't hit an AL pitcher they have never seen, then they face Cueto and Billingsley, two of the best in the NL this year, and they hit them hard.

There is no way to figure this team out.

DumpJerry
06-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Thank you for agreeing with me.

Thank you for recognizing how stupid "bacon" is, too.
:scratch: I did?

ode to veeck
06-26-2009, 02:33 PM
It's funny that the Sox can't hit an AL pitcher they have never seen, then they face Cueto and Billingsley, two of the best in the NL this year, and they hit them hard.

There is no way to figure this team out.

(Tongue in cheek) The AL is that much better obviously. Why else would that whussie from the Padres veto the trade?