PDA

View Full Version : Throwback Jerseys

Sockinchisox
06-25-2009, 04:40 PM
I really love these 1959 jerseys, I wish the Sox wore a throwback every Sunday or whatever it is that other teams do.

Jaysox
06-25-2009, 04:49 PM
I really love these 1959 jerseys, I wish the Sox wore a throwback every Sunday or whatever it is that other teams do.
Agreed.

eriqjaffe
06-25-2009, 04:50 PM
I really love these 1959 jerseys, I wish the Sox wore a throwback every Sunday or whatever it is that other teams do.Meh. After seeing the spot-on, gorgeous throwbacks the Sox wore back in '05, these seem half-assed and cheap.

It's Dankerific
06-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Meh. After seeing the spot-on, gorgeous throwbacks the Sox wore back in '05, these seem half-assed and cheap.

Well, if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....

comiskey2000
06-25-2009, 05:07 PM
When will they put shorts back on?

skobabe8
06-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Meh. After seeing the spot-on, gorgeous throwbacks the Sox wore back in '05, these seem half-assed and cheap.

I've been waiting for someone to say something in case I was seeing things.

The numbers are WAY too thick on these. You can hardly see the red outline. And the ones in '05 were the off white color, while these appear true white.

'05:

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/06/18/XUOtnSWe.jpg

Dibbs
06-25-2009, 05:11 PM

I was wondering how it is possible they messed this up as well. 2005 throwbacks were spot on.

whitesoxfan
06-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I was wondering how it is possible they messed this up as well. 2005 throwbacks were spot on.

Yeah, something seemed weird to me today too.

I agree that I'd like to see more throwbacks too. The Brewers have retro Friday where they wear those solid 80's jerseys that they had. Why don't we do what we did in 01 (I think it was?) where we wore throwbacks on Sunday?

DSpivack
06-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Yeah, something seemed weird to me today too.

I agree that I'd like to see more throwbacks too. The Brewers have retro Friday where they wear those solid 80's jerseys that they had. Why don't we do what we did in 01 (I think it was?) where we wore throwbacks on Sunday?

Brewers also have their Los Cerveceros jerseys once a year or so.

Why not have a Las Medias Blancas night?

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2009, 06:13 PM
I'd like for them to go back to wearing the vests.

Stoky44
06-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Is it me or did it look like the sox just took their current home uni's, minus current lettering/logo, and place the 59 logo and numbers on. I mean the ones in 05 were an off white.

Hats looked good, and they went the extra mile of putting the logo's on the batting helmets.

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Is it me or did it look like the sox just took their current home uni's, minus current lettering/logo, and place the 59 logo and numbers on. I mean the ones in 05 were an off white.

Hats looked good, and they went the extra mile of putting the logo's on the batting helmets.
I thought they looked similar too. But, they also had the numbers on the sleeves.

Brian26
06-25-2009, 07:10 PM

Good call. These are not the cream/off-white color that made the '05 jerseys so authentic looking.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2009, 07:13 PM
I was very disappointed in the uniforms today, this was really a half assed job. In '05 the uniform was the exact right color, the socks were right and most of the guys on the team were wearing stirrups. Today the jersey was the wrong color, there were no stripes on the socks and I think only AJ and Thome wore high socks.

Marqhead
06-25-2009, 07:13 PM
I'd like for them to go back to wearing the vests.

No thanks. Baseball vest jerseys are atrocious IMO.

I'm digging the 59 jerseys from 05, and I love the 1906 jerseys.

duke of dorwood
06-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I loved them in 59 and they looked so good in HD today

TheOldRoman
06-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Yeah, these looked bad. No point in even doing it. These were just white jerseys with thick clunky numbers. To me, the thin numbers on the 59 era jerseys are one of the more distinctive features.

Today's unis were made by Majestic, who supplies the normal game unis. In 2005, the jerseys were made by Mitchell and Ness, who makes the really expensive throwbacks. The 2005 jerseys were authentic down to the wool.

Brian26
06-25-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm watching the replay right now on CSN. I notice the logo on the jerseys is off too. It looks too much like the current logo with a red outline and not enough like the more crooked '59 version.

Jerko
06-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Yeah, these looked bad. No point in even doing it. These were just white jerseys with thick clunky numbers. To me, the thin numbers on the 59 era jerseys are one of the more distinctive features.

Today's unis were made by Majestic, who supplies the normal game unis. In 2005, the jerseys were made by Mitchell and Ness, who makes the really expensive throwbacks. The 2005 jerseys were authentic down to the wool.

Agree. Did not like today's unis at all.

soxfan21
06-25-2009, 07:18 PM
I agree with many others in saying that the jerseys they wore today looked horrible. Should have worn the same ones they did in '05. Majestic really did the Sox a disservice with the uni's they provided them with today.

Stoky44
06-25-2009, 07:23 PM
I thought they looked similar too. But, they also had the numbers on the sleeves.

I meant that majestic took the basic sox uni minus any stitching and retro fitted the current base pinstriped uni into the 59 uni, and rather half assed (based on the thickness of the numbers). They put the 59 logo on the front and placed any black numbers with red background on the back and sleeve.

Good call I almost forgot the 05 team wore the striped stirups.

johnnyg83
06-25-2009, 08:17 PM
I liked them, but they were off. SO were the Civil Rights game jerseys. Today's were more like "inspired by the 1959 jerseys."

TheOldRoman
06-25-2009, 09:12 PM
I meant that majestic took the basic sox uni minus any stitching and retro fitted the current base pinstriped uni into the 59 uni, and rather half assed (based on the thickness of the numbers). They put the 59 logo on the front and placed any black numbers with red background on the back and sleeve.

Good call I almost forgot the 05 team wore the striped stirups.There was a slight difference in the jersey type. These jersey had raglan sleeves (like the Yankees wear), where the sleeves come from the neck, instead of just attaching at the shoulder.
http://www.espnshop.com/images/products/large_w/62252002_w.jpgCompared to http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Kansas+City+Royals+v+Chicago+White+Sox+1PC5CJFRXQG l.jpg

soxpride724
06-25-2009, 09:21 PM
They were selling these jersey's in the Hall of Fame Gift Shop, and I had a chance to look at them. They are plain white jersey's like the home uni's.The only diffrence is, the 59 Sox logo and the numbers on the sleeve, with the red outline. Oh, and for $225.00, they better look like the ones Mitchell & Ness are selling.

hi im skot
06-25-2009, 09:57 PM
People keep talking about how great the '59 throwbacks were in '05, but one of the biggest mistakes (that was recently pointed out to me) is that the numbers were dark blue instead of black.

Otherwise, they looked fantastic. Today's? Not so much...

Stoky44
06-25-2009, 10:25 PM
There was a slight difference in the jersey type. These jersey had raglan sleeves (like the Yankees wear), where the sleeves come from the neck, instead of just attaching at the shoulder.
http://www.espnshop.com/images/products/large_w/62252002_w.jpgCompared to http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Kansas+City+Royals+v+Chicago+White+Sox+1PC5CJFRXQG l.jpg

WOW, great observation. I bow down to your baseball knowledge and keen eye. I am very impressed, and that does not happen too often on wsi, lol.

pistolesatdawn
06-25-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm watching the replay right now on CSN. I notice the logo on the jerseys is off too. It looks too much like the current logo with a red outline and not enough like the more crooked '59 version.

I just noticed this too looking at pictures online. Not having striped stirrups is a travesty. All around horrible job. The team (or at least whomever approved this, and the Civil Rights Game as well) should be ashamed of itself.

cards press box
06-26-2009, 12:01 AM

That's a great idea. Here is a throwback that they haven't worn yet: the home red pinstripes uniform from the early '70's with the red hats and "Sox" in English script. Those were great.

esbrechtel
06-26-2009, 12:10 AM
I actually really liked them today. First, the guys would have died today in wool throwbacks. Second, I think was kind of cool that they made a modern version of the '59 uni. I thought it was awesome they had the batting helmets and I think this could be the uniform they could wear Sunday afternoons.

Also, I love the numbers on the sleeves.

WhiteSox5187
06-26-2009, 12:15 AM
I actually really liked them today. First, the guys would have died today in wool throwbacks. Second, I think was kind of cool that they made a modern version of the '59 uni. I thought it was awesome they had the batting helmets and I think this could be the uniform they could wear Sunday afternoons.

Also, I love the numbers on the sleeves.

I doubt the uniforms in '05 were actually made of wool. They were probably made of the same material but they looked like they were made of wool.

TheOldRoman
06-26-2009, 12:22 AM

Also, I love the numbers on the sleeves.Eh, if the guys played in wool for 70 years, today's players could get through a 90 degree day in it. I am not saying they should have to, but I don't buy that they would be at a competitive disadvantage.

I didn't like these jerseys at all. First off, they needed to get the great stirrups like they did in 05. But the first things that jumped out at me we 1)the awful number font, and 1)they were white instead of cream. Majestic could have easily made a doubleknit cream jersey. Hell, they could have made Coolbase in cream, too. Those two little changes would have made this a great jersey.

TheOldRoman
06-26-2009, 12:23 AM
WOW, great observation. I bow down to your baseball knowledge and keen eye. I am very impressed, and that does not happen too often on wsi, lol.Thanks, but I am a uni freak. Eriqjaffe and I hold down the fort for the uniform obsessed.

parlaycard
06-26-2009, 06:45 AM
It was nice that the batting helmets had the throwback logo on them. Usually they skip that.

Id really like to see them don these jerseys, although i know they never will. I know everyone hates these, but they were my favorite. (1 game? c'mon. cant be any worse than the Civil Rights game, or the futuristic jerseys they have worn)

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2685&stc=1&d=1163298629

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2684&stc=1&d=1163298499

http://i.ebayimg.com/23/!BU1pnn!!2k~$(KGrHgoH-CoEjlLl)2U9BKPlhlGS9!~~_1.JPG

wassagstdu
06-26-2009, 07:03 AM
Weren't the 2005 replicas made of wool like the originals? If so the players might have complained because I can imagine polyester is a lot more comfortable. This year's look like the standard white polyester.

eriqjaffe
06-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Weren't the 2005 replicas made of wool like the originals? If so the players might have complained because I can imagine polyester is a lot more comfortable. This year's look like the standard white polyester.Yeah, IIRC, the 2005 replicas were wool, but Mitchell & Ness outfitted both teams. It just wasn't as obvious on the Dodgers because their regular road uniforms in '05 really weren't much different from what they wore in '59.

I did like the fact that they put the right logo on the batting helmet - during the day, all I had to go on were the 2 or 3 photos I could find on the web, and those all showed the Sox in the field.

And, FWIW, Pods also went high-cuffed, and Carrasco was rocking the stirrups, and even wore them at a period-appropriate height, with just a little bit of the sanitary showing down by the shoetops.

The only thing that surprised me about the '05 throwbacks was that, if they were celebrating the '59 World Series, why didn't they wear the WHITE stirrups they wore in the series?

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7799/76868458.jpg

Red Barchetta
06-26-2009, 09:43 AM
I had always wondered why the SOX logo on the hat was more of a block design compared to the SOX logo on the jersey, which had a script logo similar to the current uniforms.

I love the current uniforms, however if the SOX ever decided to change, my first choice would be to retro back to the 1959 uniforms with the red and black trim. However, I would like to see the hat/helmet logo be the same as the jersey logo like they are today. Also, the colors and numbers on the sleeves would need to match up like the 1959 retros they wore in 2005, not the ones they wore yesterday. The sleeve numbers were way to big....

TheOldRoman
06-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Yeah, IIRC, the 2005 replicas were wool, but Mitchell & Ness outfitted both teams. It just wasn't as obvious on the Dodgers because their regular road uniforms in '05 really weren't much different from what they wore in '59.

I did like the fact that they put the right logo on the batting helmet - during the day, all I had to go on were the 2 or 3 photos I could find on the web, and those all showed the Sox in the field.

And, FWIW, Pods also went high-cuffed, and Carrasco was rocking the stirrups, and even wore them at a period-appropriate height, with just a little bit of the sanitary showing down by the shoetops.

The only thing that surprised me about the '05 throwbacks was that, if they were celebrating the '59 World Series, why didn't they wear the WHITE stirrups they wore in the series?

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7799/76868458.jpgThe white stirrup were seen as a failure and bad luck, since they lost in them. I don't know it which game, but they switched back to the black ones before the series was over.

Oh, and I am about 99% sure that the Dodgers wore Majestic jerseys in 05. I remember the only differences from their set at the time were no names, no white outline on lettering, and sleeve patch. When I first saw them I thought they we wearing their regular jerseys.

TheOldRoman
06-26-2009, 09:58 AM
I had always wondered why the SOX logo on the hat was more of a block design compared to the SOX logo on the jersey, which had a script logo similar to the current uniforms.

I love the current uniforms, however if the SOX ever decided to change, my first choice would be to retro back to the 1959 uniforms with the red and black trim. However, I would like to see the hat/helmet logo be the same as the jersey logo like they are today. Also, the colors and numbers on the sleeves would need to match up like the 1959 retros they wore in 2005, not the ones they wore yesterday. The sleeve numbers were way to big....
I agree, but after seeing them yesterday, I think the jerseys would have to be cream. Even with the thin numbers, they just wouldn't have looked right.

g0g0
06-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Ya, I didn't care for the unis yesterday. I've never liked the red outline on the numbers though.

eriqjaffe
06-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Oh, and I am about 99% sure that the Dodgers wore Majestic jerseys in 05. I remember the only differences from their set at the time were no names, no white outline on lettering, and sleeve patch. When I first saw them I thought they we wearing their regular jerseys.Looking through Getty Images, the Dodgers still had the white trim back in '05, I thought they had dropped that before then. Turns out they didn't drop that until 2007.

Although they didn't have names on the backs in '05. So many little differences.

TheOldRoman
06-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Looking through Getty Images, the Dodgers still had the white trim back in '05, I thought they had dropped that before then. Turns out they didn't drop that until 2007.

Although they didn't have names on the backs in '05. So many little differences.Yeah, I forgot they didn't have names on their regular jerseys at the time. So the only differences were no white trim, no sleeve patch, and no piping.

Lip Man 1
06-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Parlay:

The Civil Rights 1964 replica's were brilliant. The only fault was that the front lettering was bigger and more rectangular then the original ones.

Lip

BleacherBandit
06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Weren't the 2005 replicas made of wool like the originals? If so the players might have complained because I can imagine polyester is a lot more comfortable. This year's look like the standard white polyester.

The last time I checked, cotton was even more comfortable than polyester.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:M50cNhRJ2X3jnM:http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/palm/blog/jalexander_375x375.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/palm/blog/jalexander_375x375.jpg&imgrefurl=http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/palm/blog/2008/10/_you_might_know_him.html&usg=__xQ-7AHc-IRLSgankQ5ZqCCaFnno=&h=375&w=375&sz=48&hl=en&start=19&um=1&tbnid=M50cNhRJ2X3jnM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=122&prev=/images%3Fq%3DGeorge%2BCostanza%26hl%3Den%26safe%3D off%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7SUNA_en%26um%3D1)

Yeah. Cotton breathes, you see, it's much softer. Imagine playing games and your team is five degrees cooler than the other team. Don't you think that would be an advantage? They're cooler, they're more comfortable...they're happier - they're gonna play better.

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2009, 01:38 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the current uniform with the silver trim around the logo and the numbers replaced with red trim, and the cap logo have a red outline. Kind of a combination of the '59 and the current uniform.

The off-white is certainly do-able in current material. The Giants' home uniform is off-white.

Sox
06-27-2009, 01:42 AM
I was like 2 years old in 59 but I have to tell ya I'd like the concept of the Sox using the red outline with the black numbers. I guess since I was a child of the latter 50's I feel some nostalgic sentiment toward the 59 Go Go Sox uni's.

ewokpelts
06-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Meh. After seeing the spot-on, gorgeous throwbacks the Sox wore back in '05, these seem half-assed and cheap.i dont think the players want to wear mitchell and ness jerseys every sunday.

I prefer the 2009 majestic. much nicer than the mitchell and ness crap.

beasly213
06-29-2009, 02:53 PM
i dont think the players want to wear mitchell and ness jerseys every sunday.

I prefer the 2009 majestic. much nicer than the mitchell and ness crap.

I'll have to disagree bigtime. The Mitchell and Ness looked great where these looked like some knockoffs sold on ebay.