PDA

View Full Version : Manuels Job & Veteran Players


ChiSoxBobette
06-03-2002, 02:30 PM
This may sound a little premature , but In the minds of Kenny Williams & Jerry Reinsdorf should'nt these next 10 games against K.C., Montreal & the N.Y. Mets be the home stand that decides Jerry Manuel & his coaching staffs fate if they lose 3 of 4 to the royals (or get swept) can't sweep the expos(or win 2 of 3) and the possibility of getting swept by the mets I would think thats it for this staff and maybe even K.W. As far as the veteran players lets face it they might as well package at least 3 and hopefully release one - the 3 players I would package would be Ray Durham(lets face it we are not going to sign him not for the money he's probably going to want)Kenny Lofton (he was signed at a bargain basement price but if he continues to have a pretty good year theres no way J.R. will sign him for the money he will demand)& Carlos Lee (he's never going to be the player everyone in Chicago wants him to be and with the way we've traded players in the past who have gone on and had pretty good careers with other teams someone would take him if we package him with a couple of good players)We then could get some pretty good young players from someone who is looking for a couple of verteran players who can put them right there at the end of Sept. We would then release Royce Clayton he's got a good glove but in the American league you have to have all nine of your players be able to at least sometimes come up and get a hit(withR.C. in the lineup we might as well have our pitcher hitting)We could then move Jose Valentine back to S.S. bring up Joe Crede, Joe Borchard & Willie Harris who knows maybe making those kind of moves will spark this team. I keep hearing it's early in the year but hey it's the beginning of June and I don't see a very good team out there. At the very least J.R. & K.W. have to be thinking about getting rid of nardi his coaching of the pitchers is pitiful , I also read the article by Peter Gammons about what the pirates GM said and we did'nt see that Kip Wells could throw like that (who was working with kip last year - Nardi) With the twins playing the idians starting tonight if the twins beat on clev. & the Sox keep loosing - well does anyone want some season tickets cheap :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Paulwny
06-03-2002, 03:29 PM
The flack over the "White Flag Trade" will stop any whole sale changes. If the sox fall ~ 10 games behind then it'll probably happen.

Cheryl
06-03-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The flack over the "White Flag Trade" will stop any whole sale changes. If the sox fall ~ 10 games behind then it'll probably happen.

If JR had a history of listening to the fans, then I'd agree with you. But I can see him pulling another White Flag. According to him, the last one worked out just fine.

Paulwny
06-03-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

According to him, the last one worked out just fine.

Good point

Randar68
06-03-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl


If JR had a history of listening to the fans, then I'd agree with you. But I can see him pulling another White Flag. According to him, the last one worked out just fine.


uhhhhhh, you mean it didn't????

Jerry_Manuel
06-03-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
uhhhhhh, you mean it didn't????

Yes and no. It worked from a standpoint that the team recieved good players and draft picks. Some would say it didn't work because the trade upset a good majority of the fan base at the time.

bc2k
06-04-2002, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
This may sound a little premature , but In the minds of Kenny Williams & Jerry Reinsdorf should'nt these next 10 games against K.C., Montreal & the N.Y. Mets be the home stand that decides Jerry Manuel & his coaching staffs fate if they lose 3 of 4 to the royals (or get swept) can't sweep the expos(or win 2 of 3) and the possibility of getting swept by the mets I would think thats it for this staff and maybe even K.W. As far as the veteran players lets face it they might as well package at least 3 and hopefully release one - the 3 players I would package would be Ray Durham(lets face it we are not going to sign him not for the money he's probably going to want)Kenny Lofton (he was signed at a bargain basement price but if he continues to have a pretty good year theres no way J.R. will sign him for the money he will demand)& Carlos Lee (he's never going to be the player everyone in Chicago wants him to be and with the way we've traded players in the past who have gone on and had pretty good careers with other teams someone would take him if we package him with a couple of good players)We then could get some pretty good young players from someone who is looking for a couple of verteran players who can put them right there at the end of Sept. We would then release Royce Clayton he's got a good glove but in the American league you have to have all nine of your players be able to at least sometimes come up and get a hit(withR.C. in the lineup we might as well have our pitcher hitting)We could then move Jose Valentine back to S.S. bring up Joe Crede, Joe Borchard & Willie Harris who knows maybe making those kind of moves will spark this team. I keep hearing it's early in the year but hey it's the beginning of June and I don't see a very good team out there. At the very least J.R. & K.W. have to be thinking about getting rid of nardi his coaching of the pitchers is pitiful , I also read the article by Peter Gammons about what the pirates GM said and we did'nt see that Kip Wells could throw like that (who was working with kip last year - Nardi) With the twins playing the idians starting tonight if the twins beat on clev. & the Sox keep loosing - well does anyone want some season tickets cheap :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Looking ahead in the schedule, I agree this upcoming homestand is important. I'm sure this team will average about 10 runs per game since these teams don't have records over .500. Sox hitters usually do well in games like these.

In response to your thread, I would trade Durham and Lee whether the Sox are contending for first or fouth place. Harris is better than Durham, Rowand is better than Lee.

voodoochile
06-04-2002, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by bc2k


Looking ahead in the schedule, I agree this upcoming homestand is important. I'm sure this team will average about 10 runs per game since these teams don't have records over .500. Sox hitters usually do well in games like these.

In response to your thread, I would trade Durham and Lee whether the Sox are contending for first or fouth place. Harris is better than Durham, Rowand is better than Lee.

Just curious, what do you base that on?

bc2k
06-04-2002, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile


Just curious, what do you base that on?

Well the first half is based on my previous watched 2002 Sox games. It was more of a humorous attack against the Sox hitters because they feast on bad teams and put up 0's against the Yankees. After they score 10 off of nobodys, the press loves to talk of how dominant the Sox offense is. But what they don't understand is that scoring 10 off of KC and 1 off of NY is not a dominant team. It's great that they win the games they are supposed to, but to call them dominant when they don't score against good pitching is a poor statement. 2000 playoffs, cough, Thomas was 0-9, cough.

The second half of the post was also based on games seen. I have seen enough of Durham to come to the conclusion that he is addition by subtraction. He can't field, he can't bunt, he can't stop grounding into double plays, he can't stop swinging for the fences, he can't even keep his foot on the bag b/c he is scared of the baserunner tripping him.
Harris was a huge suprise in ST, I loved reading about him. I cannot wait to see this man take Ray's position.
I hope you're not thinking of calling this view invalid b/c I haven't seen Harris play b/c as I said before, Durham is addition by subtraction.

I like what I have seen from Rowand, I can't figure Carlos out. Although I don't think I have to sell you on that one.