PDA

View Full Version : Geovany Soto Tested Positive for Marijuana During WBC

PaleHoser
06-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Link (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/06/geovany-soto-failed-drug-test-during-world-baseball-classic.html)

Based on his statistics, I'm betting he's still stoned.

Dibbs
06-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Does he live near the Cell? Maybe that would finally explain the smell that has been wafting through the air near US Cellular Field that the Tribune originally reported on.

goon
06-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Marijuana laced with HGH?

kittle42
06-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Maybe he's now in the same haze Cub fans have that allows them to believe their team has the history of the Yankees.

Woofer
06-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Maybe he's now in the same haze Cub fans have that allows them to believe their team has the history of the Yankees.

Or the Red Sox, even.

eriqjaffe
06-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Soto thought he was in the World Bong Classic.

Big D
06-25-2009, 03:14 PM
His performance this season is proving that marijuana is not a performance-enhancing drug. At least it isn't in baseball; maybe it would help if he were a competitive eater.

white sox bill
06-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Maybe he's friends w/Freddy Garcia

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Dan Pasqua is his personal trainer.

guillen4life13
06-25-2009, 03:23 PM
As if it's really a big deal. I don't get why in our day and age people freak out about marijuana. Can't be helping his performance but if he's not getting stoned pregame it's probably not doing too much to hurt it either.

Madvora
06-25-2009, 03:28 PM
As if it's really a big deal. I don't get why in our day and age people freak out about marijuana. Can't be helping his performance but if he's not getting stoned pregame it's probably not doing too much to hurt it either.
Regardless of what you make think of it and what effects it may have on people, it still is an illegal drug and it was being tested for.
I'm wondering what the point of testing was if they let him play anyway.

white sox bill
06-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Regardless of what you make think of it and what effects it may have on people, it still is an illegal drug and it was being tested for.
Unless he flew to California to get his weed

spongyfungy
06-25-2009, 04:04 PM
When Soto says : "I want to assure my fans and my family that this was an isolated incident"

What does that actually mean? He tried it for the first time and didn't like it?

white sox bill
06-25-2009, 04:08 PM
When Soto says : "I want to assure my fans and my family that this was an isolated incident"

What does that actually mean? He tried it for the first time and didn't like it?
LOL!! It means he only smokes when he's alone or with someone:smile:

Railsplitter
06-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Unless he flew to California to get his weed

Only if he has a (cough) headache.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-25-2009, 05:59 PM
His performance this season is proving that marijuana is not a performance-enhancing drug. At least it isn't in baseball; maybe it would help if he were a competitive eater.

The only way it would enhance his performance would be if they gave him a Pop-Tart for every hit he got.

cws05champ
06-25-2009, 10:23 PM

It means it only happened that one time, at that time. There have been other isolated incidents however :D:.

I'm now looking forward to the signs that people will make at the cell for Soto. "Soto, Got the munchies?"

Big D
06-25-2009, 10:31 PM

It means testing positive for it was an isolated incident.:wink:

He gone
06-25-2009, 10:33 PM
That explains the weight gain :D:

Dude, where's my catcher's gear :scratch:

WhiteSox1989
06-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Well, he is a dumb ass.

oeo
06-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Damn, when I read "Geovany Soto Tested Positive..." I was hoping it was for PED's. He has to be using something to see that type of spike.

WhiteSox1989
06-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Damn, when I read "Geovany Soto Tested Positive..." I was hoping it was for PED's. He has to be using something to see that type of spike.
Truthfully, I thought the same thing.

DrCrawdad
06-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Truthfully, I thought the same thing.

It's not a stretch or Cubbie hatred that might cause one to raise their eyebrows in suspicion of Soto for PED. Check his stats here (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sotoge01.shtml). He made a giant leap from virtually zero power to 26 & 23 HR in 2007, 2008.

JB98
06-26-2009, 01:43 AM
I'm sure he used it strictly for medicinal purposes.

SaltyPretzel
06-26-2009, 02:22 AM
I'm sure he used it strictly for medicinal purposes.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/players/65/6428.jpg

"Uh, yeah. Without it I could go, uh, more blind."

doublem23
06-26-2009, 03:50 AM

Blue Rock, it's the best **** ever.

:bluerock

Sargeant79
06-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Well, he is a dumb ass.

No kidding. I personally think marijuana is relatively harmless, especially compared with a lot of other substances (including alcohol...and this is coming from a guy who probably drinks more than he should). But if your employer, particularly an employer who is paying you a ridiculous amount of money to play a game, says that it is against their rules and it puts your job at risk to use, it strikes me as incredibly stupid to continue using.

In my mind, this is the definition of a substance abuse problem...when you continue to use despite the significance of the consequences.

Big D
06-26-2009, 09:50 AM
No kidding. I personally think marijuana is relatively harmless, especially compared with a lot of other substances (including alcohol...and this is coming from a guy who probably drinks more than he should). But if your employer, particularly an employer who is paying you a ridiculous amount of money to play a game, says that it is against their rules and it puts your job at risk to use, it strikes me as incredibly stupid to continue using.

In my mind, this is the definition of a substance abuse problem...when you continue to use despite the significance of the consequences.

What consequences? He isn't missing a single game because of the positive test. Is he even being fined anything?

Chez
06-26-2009, 10:04 AM
What consequences? He isn't missing a single game because of the positive test. Is he even being fined anything?

Banned from the WBC for two years. Is marijuana even tested for by MLB? I "highly" doubt it.

Big D
06-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Banned from the WBC for two years. Is marijuana even tested for by MLB? I "highly" doubt it.

Isn't the next WBC not until 2013 anyways? Why do they even bother testing for pot if they have no real penalty for it?

And yeah, I'm pretty sure MLB doesn't test for marijuana.

Sargeant79
06-26-2009, 11:23 AM

Drug use of any kind puts your career as a professional athlete at risk. Whether it's for performance enhancers or recreational drugs. When you are one of the handful of people on the planet blessed to be skilled to the extent that you get to get rich for playing a game, then that is stupid.

When you are neglecting responsibilities and/or putting things that are important at risk, that is indicative of a problem.

khan
06-26-2009, 12:14 PM

I think the bigger consequence for him being a stoner is that his performance has sucked as a result of him being a fat, lazy piece of **** this offseason.

He may harvest his consequences in a few years when he becomes a free agent and gets a steaming pile of **** for a contract instead of a "Jim Hendry Special. "

thedudeabides
06-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Today, the Sun-Times said this has been hanging over his head for a while, and it was his decision to come clean now. It also suggests it has been effecting his play.

De Luca (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1640285,CST-SPT-soto26.article)

I understand it hanging over his head, but could you pick a worse road series to anounce this before? I can't imagine Sox fans will be very friendly this weekend. He could have used a little PR help to tell him to hold off until next week.

kitekrazy
06-26-2009, 01:50 PM

Makes you wonder if he's in that sophomore slump like Alexi.

kitekrazy
06-26-2009, 01:53 PM

It's not exactly the NFL. You have to wait for Congress to get involved before Butt Selig reacts.

Viva Medias B's
06-26-2009, 07:08 PM
It is obviously a too easy question to ask in the wake of his hitting a three-run home run that beat us today, but should the Cubs has taken it upon themselves to suspend Geovany Soto after this news came out? I do endorse a policy like that. Suppose news breaks tonight that Mark Buehrle tested positive for marijuana. I would support the White Sox suspending him for it, even if it cost him his start tomorrow.

PeteWard
06-28-2009, 02:09 AM
It is obviously a too easy question to ask in the wake of his hitting a three-run home run that beat us today, but should the Cubs has taken it upon themselves to suspend Geovany Soto after this news came out? I do endorse a policy like that. Suppose news breaks tonight that Mark Buehrle tested positive for marijuana. I would support the White Sox suspending him for it, even if it cost him his start tomorrow.

What if he tested positive for gin or whiskey?

That would effect his performance even more.

Such shrill sanctimony over a bit of weed. What's the big deal?

PeteWard
06-28-2009, 02:12 AM
Drug use of any kind puts your career as a professional athlete at risk. Whether it's for performance enhancers or recreational drugs. When you are one of the handful of people on the planet blessed to be skilled to the extent that you get to get rich for playing a game, then that is stupid.

When you are neglecting responsibilities and/or putting things that are important at risk, that is indicative of a problem.

He smoked a j. That's all we know. If he was getting wasted daily, then I would agree. Get off your self-righteous high horse.

Viva Medias B's
06-28-2009, 07:21 AM
What if he tested positive for gin or whiskey?

That would effect his performance even more.

Such shrill sanctimony over a bit of weed. What's the big deal?

Weed is against the law; gin and whiskey are not (provided you don't get behind the wheel of a car while under the influence of it).

johnnyg83
06-30-2009, 12:10 AM
I want him tested for eyeliner.

TheVulture
06-30-2009, 12:50 AM
I want him tested for eyeliner.
:rolling:

FielderJones
06-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Weed is against the law; gin and whiskey are not (provided you don't get behind the wheel of a car while under the influence of it).

So, when Babe Ruth drank during Prohibition ...

mrfourni
06-30-2009, 12:50 PM

If a player got arrested for DUI, would you advocates suspending him then?