PDA

View Full Version : Gio Gonzalez makes 1st start of year, gets lit up

doublem23
06-25-2009, 02:00 AM
Multiple-time, former Sox farmhand Gio Gonzalez made his 1st start of the year for the A's tonight against the Giants. Not pretty results; 3.2 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 6 K

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20090624&content_id=5508858&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=home

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2009, 02:02 AM
Not possible! I was assured that he was a dead-lock, can't-miss Hall of Famer!!!!!1111!!!

It's Dankerific
06-25-2009, 02:21 AM
Not possible! I was assured that he was a dead-lock, can't-miss Hall of Famer!!!!!1111!!!

Actually, that was DLS

doublem23
06-25-2009, 02:46 AM
Actually, that was DLS

Speaking of DLS, what the hell happened to him? I know he had Tommy John surgery last year but it's been over a year now, right? He still has no stats for the 2009 season that I can find, anyone know what's going on?

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2009, 02:55 AM
Actually, that was DLSOh, yeah.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Well, 6 K's isn't exactly bad, but everything else is just terrible. I'm sure he'll end up being a decent SP in time.

WizardsofOzzie
06-25-2009, 08:46 AM
I just read a bit about him yesterday about how he was tearing it up in the minors. His stat line in his last 5 outings was

3-0 with a 0.30 ERA, 0.86 WHIP and 38 K in 30.1 IP

Figured it would only be a matter of time before he got called up

oeo
06-25-2009, 08:51 AM
He's still only 23...

Lorenzo Barcelo
06-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Multiple-time, former Sox farmhand Gio Gonzalez made his 1st start of the year for the A's tonight against the Giants. Not pretty results; 3.2 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 6 K

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20090624&content_id=5508858&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=home

Looks like he has Scott Ruffcorn syndrome so far in his career. Solid minor league stats and ****ty ML stats when he gets called up. He still has time to get things together.

TDog
06-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Looks like he has Scott Ruffcorn syndrome so far in his career. Solid minor league stats and ****ty ML stats when he gets called up. He still has time to get things together.

In his first major league start last year, he looked great against the Blue Jays in Toronto. Then he got hammered at home against the White Sox.

areilly
06-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Meanwhile, Nick Swisher still has a 0.00 ERA in THE BIG LEAGUES!

SWISHER IS AWESOME!

SWISH-AH!

DIRTY 30!!!!! WOOO!!!!! SWISHER!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Among the lengthy list of things I despise throughout the history of White Sox baseball, the trade to acquire that man will always hold a special place in my bitter, hate-filled soul.

Jerome
06-25-2009, 11:09 AM
I'd still rather have Gio than Wilson Betemit

DumpJerry
06-25-2009, 01:07 PM
I'd still rather have Gio than Wilson Betemit
:scratch::?:?

1. We no longer have Betemit on the 25 man roster.
2. We did not trade Gio for Betemit.
3. What's the connection between the two players?

Domeshot17
06-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Typical WSI. Gio has what, a handful of career starts and you want to rip him and write him off, but then WSI was rightfully patient with Danks, Ignored Gavins years of crap, and crowned Richard the heir apparent after 3 good starts, ignoring the entire season of terrible he gave us his rookie year (and sorry but there is no such thing as a GOOD 6 era).

PorkChopExpress
06-25-2009, 01:29 PM

We traded Gio plus others for Swisher, who we then in turn traded for Betemit plus others. So in the mind of some, in essence we trade Gio plus others for Betemit plus others.

Domeshot17
06-25-2009, 01:31 PM
:scratch::?:?

1. We no longer have Betemit on the 25 man roster.
2. We did not trade Gio for Betemit.

I get what he is saying. In a 1 year span we dealt DLS-Gio-Sweeney for Swish then Swish for Betemit and 2 P specs who don't seem very promising. The Swisher trade was forced and un needed, maybe 1 of the biggest mistakes of Kenny Williams career. Gio was the centerpiece of the first trade, Betemit the centerpiece of the 2nd, so basically Kenny spun Gio DLS and Sweeney for Betemit and Co. I know that isn't directly how it worked, but for all intents and purposes yes.

kittle42
06-25-2009, 01:51 PM
I get what he is saying. In a 1 year span we dealt DLS-Gio-Sweeney for Swish then Swish for Betemit and 2 P specs who don't seem very promising. The Swisher trade was forced and un needed, maybe 1 of the biggest mistakes of Kenny Williams career. Gio was the centerpiece of the first trade, Betemit the centerpiece of the 2nd, so basically Kenny spun Gio DLS and Sweeney for Betemit and Co. I know that isn't directly how it worked, but for all intents and purposes yes.

Agreed.

Here is the problem I have with the whole thing:

At the time of the Swisher trade with the A's, there was some consensus that Williams overpaid - that he should have gotten more for the trio of youngsters he sent over. The counter-argument to this was that Swisher had upside, and also had a very desirable contract, which would allow him to be kept under market value for several years.

Then, poof, Swisher sucked and was pawned off for Betemit and two so-so pitching prospects. Suddenly, the "desirable contract" argument was gone.

Saying that De Los Santos and Gonzalez didn't pan out is hindsight. At the time Swisher was acquired, many thought those players could fetch more of a bounty. In the end, the Sox ended up with possibly nothing.

Both Swisher trades sucked, IMO.

Domeshot17
06-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Agreed.

Here is the problem I have with the whole thing:

At the time of the Swisher trade with the A's, there was some consensus that Williams overpaid - that he should have gotten more for the trio of youngsters he sent over. The counter-argument to this was that Swisher had upside, and also had a very desirable contract, which would allow him to be kept under market value for several years.

Then, poof, Swisher sucked and was pawned off for Betemit and two so-so pitching prospects. Suddenly, the "desirable contract" argument was gone.

Saying that De Los Santos and Gonzalez didn't pan out is hindsight. At the time Swisher was acquired, many thought those players could fetch more of a bounty. In the end, the Sox ended up with possibly nothing.

Both Swisher trades sucked, IMO.

Yah I am not going to look it up, but IIRC DLS was like a top 50 spec and GIO was ranked like 65 and Sweeney was something like our 4th or 5th spec in our top 10. To me, you had to give Swisher 1 more season to earn that deal.

DumpJerry
06-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Marquez was the centerpiece. He's on the DL right now, so the jury is still out on that trade.

Domeshot17
06-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Marquez was the centerpiece. He's on the DL right now, so the jury is still out on that trade.

before the DL he was 0-5 with an era of almost 10!

The only guy who might see any real time with the sox is the RP we got. Atleast he is not sucking in double A.

JorgeFabregas
06-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Marquez is off the DL as of a week or two ago unless he went back on. He pitched his best game of the season on Monday. Terry Boers has suggested that the White Sox no longer have high hopes for him.

Who knows if that's true, but I suspect that it is.