PDA

View Full Version : Disco Demolition 30 year anniversary night?

october23sp
06-25-2009, 12:22 AM
I was wondering if they are going to do any sort of promotion the night of July 9th which is the closest home game to Disco Demolition Night. I just realized that it's the closest home game to the day and I will be there.

Anyone have any information regarding a special event or promotion taking place that night?

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2009, 12:41 AM
I was wondering if they are going to do any sort of promotion the night of July 9th which is the closest home game to Disco Demolition Night. I just realized that it's the closest home game to the day and I will be there.

Anyone have any information regarding a special event or promotion taking place that night?Not exactly a highlight in Sox history. Why in hell would you want to commemorate it?

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Not exactly a highlight in Sox history. Why in hell would you want to commemorate it?

They play a clip from it in the montage.

I emailed Brooks last year and he said there were no plans.

october23sp
06-25-2009, 01:14 AM
Not exactly a highlight in Sox history. Why in hell would you want to commemorate it?

Not a highlight, but definently a big part of the Sox history with doing promotions and that might be the highlight of them all. I just didn't know if they would be doing anything for it.

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2009, 01:21 AM
Not a highlight, but definently a big part of the Sox history with doing promotions and that might be the highlight of them all.Highlight? More like a lowlight. Definitely.

october23sp
06-25-2009, 01:41 AM
Highlight? More like a lowlight. Definitely.

1:14 A.M. cut me some slack on spelling errors.:tongue:

Yes, I agree it is a lowlight, but it's a lowlight that highlighted the Sox willingness to do promotions like this. It's a big part of our team's history whether we like it or not and I was just asking whether they would do any type of mentioning of the night or have a promotion. A big reason why I asked is because I was unsure as to how the Sox higher ups feel about that night.

BleacherBandit
06-25-2009, 01:43 AM
It was still more successful than 10 cent beer night.

kitekrazy
06-25-2009, 03:40 AM
1:14 A.M. cut me some slack on spelling errors.:tongue:

Yes, I agree it is a lowlight, but it's a lowlight that highlighted the Sox willingness to do promotions like this. It's a big part of our team's history whether we like it or not and I was just asking whether they would do any type of mentioning of the night or have a promotion. A big reason why I asked is because I was unsure as to how the Sox higher ups feel about that night.

I don't think there are anymore P.T. Barnums in baseball. Veeck was the last one.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-25-2009, 04:24 AM
We should reinact it and forfit the game that night.

SluggersAway
06-25-2009, 04:38 AM
While we are at it lets go for the 90th anniversary of the Black Sox Scandal...

Gaylord Perry, Norm Cash, Amos Otis, Canseco, Clemens, A-Fraud, Bonds, Sosa et al can come out to the park to commemorate all the cheaters.

TornLabrum
06-25-2009, 06:29 AM

Mommy, my eyes hurt!

:tealtutor:

Johnny Mostil
06-25-2009, 06:53 AM
While we are at it lets go for the 90th anniversary of the Black Sox Scandal...

Gaylord Perry, Norm Cash, Amos Otis, Canseco, Clemens, A-Fraud, Bonds, Sosa et al can come out to the park to commemorate all the cheaters.

Too bad the Sox didn't also wear shorts in a year ending in '9'. That would have to be the uniform for such a combined commemoration.

Dibbs
06-25-2009, 08:18 AM
It may encourage some bad fan behavior with a few idiots, so I doubt they would have a special event for it.

jdm2662
06-25-2009, 08:33 AM
My uncle is the biggest Sox fan I know. He can probably name every player from the last 50 years. He said this night he was embarassed to be from Chicago. A total disaster.

TommyJohn
06-25-2009, 08:46 AM

Why not? Hell, doesn't Cleveland commemorate Ten Cent Beer Night?

Andy T Clown
06-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Maybe a Rap Demolition Night. People can throw their iPods on the field.:D:

The Critic
06-25-2009, 09:57 AM
A night to forget in White Sox history.
The less said about that debacle, the better.

SOXPHILE
06-25-2009, 10:09 AM
I'd rather they did nothing.

As others have posted, not exactly a great moment in White Sox history. Pretty embarrassing.

Lip Man 1
06-25-2009, 10:53 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2520

Lip

#1swisher
06-25-2009, 11:40 AM
My uncle is the biggest Sox fan I know. He can probably name every player from the last 50 years. He said this night he was embarassed to be from Chicago. A total disaster.

Does he hold Steve Dahl accountable?

russ99
06-25-2009, 11:41 AM

What's the big deal? The Sox forfeited a meaningless regular season game. And it was due to the Sox lack of any reasonable security for an event where they knew would attract a whole bunch of drunk and high idiots, so Mr. Dahl is not the one who should blamed.

I for one have warm memories about that time, and thought that it was an interesting event among lots of Bill Veeck's interesting events.

It could never happen today, but it still could be remembered for other reasons than the forfeit.

LITTLE NELL
06-25-2009, 11:53 AM
After the Black Sox scandal DDN was next on the list to make the low-lite reel.

Jim Shorts
06-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Does he hold Steve Dahl accountable?

Mike Veeck is the one who was accountable for that mess. Dahl was just the mouthpiece

Railsplitter
06-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Mike Veeck is the one who was accountable for that mess. Dahl was just the mouthpiece

Dahl didn't exactly refuse Mike Veeck either. Pox on both of them.

Johnny Mostil
06-25-2009, 05:47 PM
What's the big deal? The Sox forfeited a meaningless regular season game. And it was due to the Sox lack of any reasonable security for an event where they knew would attract a whole bunch of drunk and high idiots, so Mr. Dahl is not the one who should blamed.

I for one have warm memories about that time, and thought that it was an interesting event among lots of Bill Veeck's interesting events.

It could never happen today, but it still could be remembered for other reasons than the forfeit.

Interestingly, in the interview Lip linked with Mike Veeck, it appears the Sox expected about half the crowd they got. And that once they saw the size of the crowd, they moved cops outside the park to control it there.

BadBobbyJenks
06-25-2009, 05:54 PM
I think that is the only day night Wrigley/US Cellular double header of the year. Probably a bad idea to do anything associated with the Disco Demolition.

Brian26
06-25-2009, 09:35 PM

This is the ignorant rationale that Dahl has used for 30 years to try to exonerate himself from the event. Just because it was a "meaningless game against the Tigers", it doesn't make the event any less embarrassing for the organization.

Jim Shorts
06-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Dahl didn't exactly refuse Mike Veeck either. Pox on both of them.

Sorry if I came across as defending Dahl, wasn't my intent. Both guilty, but it was MV's baby

TomBradley72
06-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I was there. Yeah, it's a pretty embarassing event...but with 30 years of time passing, it was also a pretty amazing event. I don't know if I'd put a "pox" on anybody for this, it was a promotion that received an incredible response that no one expected. If anyone's to blame, it's for the overall lack of security that let the crowd get completely out of control.

It's part of our history...the good, the bad and the ugly. I'm more embarassed that we once had an astroturf infield with a natural grass outfield.

Gavin
06-27-2009, 01:39 PM
My dad always told me that he was watching the game on TV and as the crowd was chanting "DIS-CO SUCKS, DIS-CO SUCKS" the cameraman was zooming in and out along with the crowd.

It goes something like this:

"So I says to myself, wait a minute, they [the cameramen] can't do that!"

jdm2662
06-27-2009, 01:50 PM
This is the ignorant rationale that Dahl has used for 30 years to try to exonerate himself from the event. Just because it was a "meaningless game against the Tigers", it doesn't make the event any less embarrassing for the organization.

Jimmy Persal calling Dahl a jerk during the mess was priceless.

Sox
06-27-2009, 08:38 PM

:redneck

WhiteSox5187
07-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Sorry to bump an older thread, but there's a great article in the NY Times (including a link to WSI!) about Disco Demolition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/sports/baseball/05disco.html?ref=sports

Chicken Dinner
07-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Is Steve Dahl still around?