PDA

View Full Version : Fox and Lopez

LITTLE NELL
06-24-2009, 08:14 PM
I was reading the Mike Hershberger interview by Lip and he mentioned that Nellie Fox and others had issues with Al Lopez. Does anybody know why they did'nt get along? The rumor was that it was Lopez that kept Nellie out of the HOF when he was on the veterans commitee.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I know Lopez had issues with Pierce as well. That's why he didn't start in the '59 series.

jackbrohamer
06-25-2009, 09:35 AM
A couple of years ago I talked with a retired sportswriter who covered the team in 1959. I asked him the same question, he told me that Lopez took some type of vote of his players as to who they thought team's captain should be and that Fox finished 4th. He said that Lopez held this against Fox especially when he won the MVP in 1959.

That seems like an extreme reaction on the part of Lopez so take it with a grain of salt. Has anyone else ever heard story or anything like it?

LITTLE NELL
06-25-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm wondering why Fox did'nt finish 1st and why Lopez would be upset that he finished 4th if he did'nt like him.
Those guys were my heroes and the only guy that I would think that would beat out Fox for a captains role would have been Sherm Lollar. IIRC there was no captain but Nellie for sure was the leader of that team.

Lip Man 1
06-25-2009, 10:59 AM
It wasn't that Al disliked Billy. Part of the reason he skipped him in the 59 series was because Billy missed six weeks with a bad hip and just returned in September.

I've been told Al went with Early and Bob in the first two games because they were his top pitchers, he wanted to go up 2-0 and knock out L.A. early...it almost worked.

In one of my interviews I was told part of the reason Al and Nellie had issues was because on a DP Fox would always take the relay throw in front of the base closer to home plate and was often a target for base runners, that drove Al crazy.

Of course a lot of things drove Al nuts...just ask Landis, Hershberger, Carreon and so forth. But the guy was a tremendous manager, probably the best in franshise history.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
06-25-2009, 11:31 AM
It wasn't that Al disliked Billy. Part of the reason he skipped him in the 59 series was because Billy missed six weeks with a bad hip and just returned in September.

I've been told Al went with Early and Bob in the first two games because they were his top pitchers, he wanted to go up 2-0 and knock out L.A. early...it almost worked.

In one of my interviews I was told part of the reason Al and Nellie had issues was because on a DP Fox would always take the relay throw in front of the base closer to home plate and was often a target for base runners, that drove Al crazy.

Of course a lot of things drove Al nuts...just ask Landis, Hershberger, Carreon and so forth. But the guy was a tremendous manager, probably the best in franshise history.

Lip
Lip, funny you should mention the Fox DP issue, I happen to know Jimmy Piersall and he hated Fox and said Fox always whined when guys slid into him at 2nd on DP balls.
After all is said and done Fox was an iron man at 2nd playing over 700 consecutive games so his method seemed to work taking balls in front of the bag.

Lip Man 1
06-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Nell:

Just FYI:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2852

When I interviewed him it was the only time I was mentally cognizant of watching what I said and how I said it. I simply didn't want to get into a situation where he 'went off' and cut short the interview.

That being said, Jimmy was a delight and seemed very appreciative of the time to tell his side of things and remember his days in the booth.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
06-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Nell:

Just FYI:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2852

When I interviewed him it was the only time I was mentally cognizant of watching what I said and how I said it. I simply didn't want to get into a situation where he 'went off' and cut short the interview.

That being said, Jimmy was a delight and seemed very appreciative of the time to tell his side of things and remember his days in the booth.

Lip
Why he disliked Fox so much we never got into but to call him a horrible 2nd baseman is a joke, he won 3 or 4 gold gloves and played in 15 all star games.

Paulwny
06-26-2009, 12:43 PM
From what I've read, Nellie's wife has said that Nellie had no idea why Lopez disliked him.
I believe that I've also read many years ago that Lopez thought that most pitchers weren't intelligent.

jackbrohamer
06-29-2009, 12:02 PM
I believe that I've also read many years ago that Lopez thought that most pitchers weren't intelligent.

Off-topic, but I saw Ted Williams say the same thing in an ESPN interview he did with Tony Gwynn. Something to the effect of, "You always know who the dumbest guy on the field is" and indicating that it was the pitcher.