PDA

View Full Version : Questions about TCQ's injury.

Harry Chappas
06-24-2009, 10:20 AM
It seems to me that if he has a partially torn tendon, it's wishful thinking that it isn't going to tear completely given that he is a professional athlete and not a CPA. Whether it tears when he returns, or, in spring training next year, it seems sort of inevitable. Can partially torn tendons heal themselves, absent surgery? Would surgery now - at the expense of this season - make more sense?

I thought plantar fasciitis involved the ligament that supports the arch of your foot. Does he have this condition AND a partially torn tendon?

I have a sick feeling that TCQ will become a sad footnote in Sox lore.

voodoochile
06-24-2009, 10:31 AM
It seems to me that if he has a partially torn tendon, it's wishful thinking that it isn't going to tear completely given that he is a professional athlete and not a CPA. Whether it tears when he returns, or, in spring training next year, it seems sort of inevitable. Can partially torn tendons heal themselves, absent surgery? Would surgery now - at the expense of this season - make more sense?

I thought plantar fasciitis involved the ligament that supports the arch of your foot. Does he have this condition AND a partially torn tendon?

I have a sick feeling that TCQ will become a sad footnote in Sox lore.

The ligament is what is partially torn and one of the treatments for PF is to sever the ligament. Some have said that's in the works for the off season if it doesn't tear on it's own first - which some doctors say is actually better. Both have long term health consequences for the foot and ankle, but it would allow him to play pain free until those consequences happen in future years. Either way, you don't repair the ligament if it tears on its own.

PatK
06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
I must be worse than plantar fasciitis because Albert Pujols has played with it for a majority of one of the recent seasons.

I've had it before and occasionally suffer, and at it's worst, it's unbearable, but nothing that has kept me off my feet and inactive for as long as Carlos has been.

We're missing his bat something fierce right now.

Harry Chappas
06-24-2009, 11:56 AM
The ligament is what is partially torn and one of the treatments for PF is to sever the ligament. Some have said that's in the works for the off season if it doesn't tear on it's own first - which some doctors say is actually better. Both have long term health consequences for the foot and ankle, but it would allow him to play pain free until those consequences happen in future years. Either way, you don't repair the ligament if it tears on its own.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I had read somewhere here that it was a partially torn tendon.

What are the long term consequences? I tried to find a list of pro athletes that have suffered from it, but couldn't come up with one. It does look like a fairly common problem, so I would imagine that there are some success stories out there.

The Critic
06-24-2009, 12:05 PM
I had a tear of my plantar fascia a couple months ago, but it was a tear "along the grain" and not a cross-tear. It hurt like the devil for about two months and then just healed. By the time I went in for my MRI, I knew it would show nothing, but I had the MRI anyway just in case. Now it feels like it never happened.

Lip Man 1
06-24-2009, 12:08 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-24-white-sox-bits-chicago-jun24,0,6922996.story

Lip

Rohan
06-24-2009, 01:36 PM
I had a tear of my plantar fascia a couple months ago, but it was a tear "along the grain" and not a cross-tear. It hurt like the devil for about two months and then just healed. By the time I went in for my MRI, I knew it would show nothing, but I had the MRI anyway just in case. Now it feels like it never happened.

I've heard many similar cases. He'll be back. He might not be as good as he was in 2008... But he'll be back.

The Immigrant
06-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I thought I had read somewhere here that it was a partially torn tendon.

What are the long term consequences? I tried to find a list of pro athletes that have suffered from it, but couldn't come up with one. It does look like a fairly common problem, so I would imagine that there are some success stories out there.

Peja Stojakovic and Andres Nocioni both had bad cases of PF and managed to fully recover. Neither had any speed/hops to begin with, so it's hard to tell whether the injuries had any long-term effect.

Konerko05
06-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Quentin is going to be one of those guys who is just never healthy. Whether it's his foot or some other problem, every season is going to be a struggle. It's a shame. I thought the Sox really found something special with Carlos.

Harry Chappas
06-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Did he suffer similar injuries in college, or did they start when he was with the Diamondbacks?

Some guys just seem to be injury-prone. It makes me think of the career Bears safety Mike Brown could have had if he didn't get nicked up every year.

guillen4life13
06-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Toni Kukoc also had some pretty serious Plantar Fasciitis problems. I had it when I was younger as it's quite common in flat footed people. I am very flat footed.

Especially on uneven terrain, even now, it can get aggravated really badly. The thought of cobblestone paths are what wake me up sweating bullets at night. But part of why I don't do XC running anymore is because of PF. It is quite excruciating when it's bad.

soxfan21
06-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Quentin is going to be one of those guys who is just never healthy. Whether it's his foot or some other problem, every season is going to be a struggle. It's a shame. I thought the Sox really found something special with Carlos.

Agree. Part of me really hopes he comes back next year at 100% and really tears it up, but part of me also wants to see us part ways with him and get another outfielder that is healthy and can get it done day in and day out. I would really hate to see TCQ go, but I'd say if he gets hurt again next year, we should just let him go and get what we can, if anything at that point, for him.

thomas35forever
06-24-2009, 08:08 PM
If we know he's never healthy, we have to part ways with him. When a player is at the stage Carlos is at in his career and you know he's not going to be healthy, you can't take any chances with him as he'll just hold back any potential of future outfielders. I don't know when or if he'll be back this season, so we'll just have to see what happens.

Evman5
06-24-2009, 10:27 PM
If we know he's never healthy, we have to part ways with him. When a player is at the stage Carlos is at in his career and you know he's not going to be healthy, you can't take any chances with him as he'll just hold back any potential of future outfielders. I don't know when or if he'll be back this season, so we'll just have to see what happens.

Wow you guys are quick to give up on a player less than one season removed from being arguably the best hitter in the AL. Anyways with Pods stepping up we are getting production out of Quentin's spot.

mzh
06-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Wow you guys are quick to give up on a player less than one season removed from being arguably the best hitter in the AL. Anyways with Pods stepping up its not like we are not getting production out of Quentin's spot.

I don't think it's that we are giving up on the guy, it's just that we are concerned over whether the Quentin we see from now on will be the Quentin of last year, or the Quentin that Arizona gave up on (an underperformer who is consistently hurt)

kitekrazy
06-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Wow you guys are quick to give up on a player less than one season removed from being arguably the best hitter in the AL. Anyways with Pods stepping up its not like we are not getting production out of Quentin's spot.

From what I understand this is part of his history. Funny you mention Pods, another guy who flirts with the DL.

Evman5
06-25-2009, 03:28 AM
Funny you mention Pods, another guy who flirts with the DL.

Pods is the one who took Quentin's spot. I didn't really say anything about keeping Pods. A healthy Quentin is MVP material, I think you have to have more patience with him then your average player

doublem23
06-25-2009, 03:37 AM
Agree. Part of me really hopes he comes back next year at 100% and really tears it up, but part of me also wants to see us part ways with him and get another outfielder that is healthy and can get it done day in and day out. I would really hate to see TCQ go, but I'd say if he gets hurt again next year, we should just let him go and get what we can, if anything at that point, for him.

The problem with this reasoning is that, as best as I can tell, TCQ's injuries are "freak" in that they are not recurring, long-term injuries that stem from the repeated actions of playing baseball, they're all the result of a series of unfortunate events. It's not like the Mark Prior/Kerry Wood saga earlier this decade on the North Side, whose very style of play caused their recurring injuries.

We've all seen how good a healthy Quentin is. Not only are we not going to get anything near his value in a trade (because of his injury history), it's not like we're exactly busting at the seems with quality OF prospects. Who would we be holding back in 2010 if we decide to stick it out with Quentin? Josh Kroeger? :rolling:

If Quentin was a mediocre OF or there were other intriguing in-house replacements for him, I'd be more open to dealing him, but as it stands, we all saw how good he is when he's healthy, he literally carried a very mediocre Sox offense to the play-offs in 2008 despite missing the final month of the season.

ajismyhero
06-26-2009, 01:56 PM
That said, I don't think PF is a "freak injury" - it's something that happens over time to flat-footed people etc. having to do with pressure on parts of your foot because of not having an arch. It can be corrected with surgery, but apart from that you have just have to stretch, ice, and wear good inserts.

Lip Man 1
06-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Hardball has an update on Carlos. Sounds good.

Lip

DickAllen72
06-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Hardball has an update on Carlos. Sounds good.

Lip
:scratch: It said he performed some agility drills and was limping afterward.

Lip Man 1
06-27-2009, 02:00 AM
The one I read said he was moving noticeably faster and had more agility.

Mark must have corrected it later.

Lip