PDA

View Full Version : baseball rules question

Iwritecode
06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I should know this but I'm going to ask anyway.

This just happened yesterday at my daughter's game and I'm wondering what the correct call is.

There were runners on first and second. The ball was hit up the middle of the infield just past the pitcher. The secondbasemen picked up the ball between the mound and second and ran to the base. The runner beat the fielder to the base but she ended up running past the base. The fielder never tagged the runner but just stood on the base. The baserunner got back to the bag and stayed there.

Now since there was a runner at third does that mean the force was still intact when the base was overrun or did the fielder have to tag the runner for the out?

FWIW, these are 7-8 year-olds and the umpires are typically high school kids. She was called safe.

KenBerryGrab
06-23-2009, 03:26 PM
She was safe. Once the runner reaches the base, the force is off.

If the runner goes past, the tag must be applied.

Madvora
06-23-2009, 03:28 PM
I'd say she's safe because if you make the turn to go to third in any normal play, they would have to get you in a rundown rather than just go for a force at second base.

Chez
06-23-2009, 03:33 PM

This is correct.

Iwritecode
06-23-2009, 03:36 PM

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure if the runner at third made a difference or not.

I think the ump actually called her out and the coaches corrected her.

jabrch
06-23-2009, 03:38 PM
The runner beat the fielder to the base but she ended up running past the base.

Assuming by that you mean that she stepped on the base and then went past it, then she is safe. If she ran past 2B without touching it, then she was out.

spawn
06-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Once she beat the fielder to the bag, there is no longer a force play at second. Since she overran the bag, she would have to be tagged in order to be called out.

Iwritecode
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Assuming by that you mean that she stepped on the base and then went past it, then she is safe. If she ran past 2B without touching it, then she was out.

Yes, she touched the bag and then ran a step or two past it.

We need to teach these girls how to slide...

akingamongstmen
06-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Yes, she touched the bag and then ran a step or two past it.

We need to teach these girls how to slide...

If some of the girls are tentative sliding, here's an idea that worked when I was a kid:

Take them to any grassy area after a big rainstorm and tell them to wear "junk" clothes. Tell them that the muddiest girl wins the sliding competition. It will be a muddy mess, but the kids will love learning how to slide, and they won't be afraid in the future.

voodoochile
06-23-2009, 04:13 PM
The rules can be different in peewee league style play. Sometimes players are allowed to overrun all the bases because it's better than having them injure themselves sliding or trying to enforce rules intended for much older more experienced players.

However as others have said, once the bag is reached, the force is off.

TDog
06-23-2009, 05:55 PM

Now since there was a runner at third does that mean the force was still intact when the base was overrun or did the fielder have to tag the runner for the out? ...

As Voodoo noted, the league may have rules that differ from official baseball rules. However, the runner on third would not affect a force. Force outs are from behind. A runner from first would take the force off by touching second. If the runner from first touches second and overruns it, it requires a tag to put the runner out.

ode to veeck
06-23-2009, 10:22 PM

this is the correct answer

ode to veeck
06-23-2009, 10:24 PM
the logic is like this, once the base is achieved, the runner could possibly also advance to 3rd at that point (would require the runner form 3rd to go somewhere else, either home or score, but there are no forces at any base once the initial runners reached 2nd and 3rd in that play, get it? lol

ode to veeck
06-23-2009, 10:25 PM
with respect to Voodoos comment on local rules, most local rules' variations tend to pertain to stuff around home plate where some leagues try to avoid the big collisions etc

StillMissOzzie
06-24-2009, 12:53 AM
the logic is like this, once the base is achieved, the runner could possibly also advance to 3rd at that point (would require the runner form 3rd to go somewhere else, either home or score, but there are no forces at any base once the initial runners reached 2nd and 3rd in that play, get it? lol

Ummm, aren't those two options the same thing, ode?

SMO
:scratch:

Iwritecode
06-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Ummm, aren't those two options the same thing, ode?

SMO
:scratch:

When we played as kids we constantly had somebody on base that had to go home because it was time for dinner or something. :tongue:

forrestg
06-24-2009, 02:12 PM
we banned those kids for life.