PDA

View Full Version : Anyone just a little worried about Paulie's thumb?

Frater Perdurabo
06-23-2009, 09:08 AM
During the last seven days, Paulie's OPS is only .591, and it's only .648 for June. I'm not criticizing him at all, but it was evident how his injured thumb really hurt his producting during the first four months of last season. And when it got better, Paulie had a great August, a great September, and a great ALDS.

The Sox need a healthy, productive Paulie. To get healthy, he probably needs to sit out a few games or perhaps do a 15-day DL stint. The problem is that he's had to play through the pain because the Sox were already short the DH in the NL parks, and Quentin has been hurt.

I hope he gets healthy soon; the Sox need his bat. Let's hope Quentin comes back and hits well so that Paulie can rest up over the All Star break.

White City
06-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Brandon Allen, come on down! You're the next contestant on "Rebuilding by default due to injuries!"

NorthSideSox72
06-23-2009, 09:25 AM
During the Cubs series I was worried, but he drove the ball fine as the CIN series went on. He his a 430' bomb. Not terribly worried.

Chicken Dinner
06-23-2009, 10:34 AM
This Paulie thumb deal is getting old.

voodoochile
06-23-2009, 11:15 AM
He hit a HR the other day. I think he's hurting but doesn't feel he can afford to sit with both Thome and TCQ out during NL park play. He may try to get some down time this week with Thome back and the Sox playing less important games, but it's his call as to how much pain he is in and how much he can play through. Guess we'll find out when the roster gets announced.

delben91
06-23-2009, 12:17 PM
But Frater, if he goes on the DL, he can't be traded for Chone Figgins!!! (Ignoring 10 and 5 rights for the moment).

JermaineDye05
06-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Brandon Allen, come on down! You're the next contestant on "Rebuilding by default due to injuries!"

Sadly, I think you're right on this one. Although I'd love to see him up here, I'd like to see him get more time in AAA before they decide to call him up. I think they've got a pretty good one at first base in Allen. A guy with power who can hit close to .300 and run?!

russ99
06-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Sadly, I think you're right on this one. Although I'd love to see him up here, I'd like to see him get more time in AAA before they decide to call him up. I think they've got a pretty good one in first baseman in Allen. A guy with power who can hit close to .300 and run?!

As much as I'd like to see Allen with the Sox, I think he needs the extra half-season in AAA to finish up his skill development.

Brandon should heavily figure in the Sox plans with Thome and maybe Dye out of the picture next season.

jabrch
06-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Absolutely...

He's going to be hit or miss the rest of the way. It wouldn't surprise me if he has to take a few extra days off and if he hits the shelf once more time.

The biggest concern I have is that we have no backup 1B with any experience at the position. I guess we will see more of Josh Fields at that spot?

NorthSideSox72
06-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Absolutely...

He's going to be hit or miss the rest of the way. It wouldn't surprise me if he has to take a few extra days off and if he hits the shelf once more time.

The biggest concern I have is that we have no backup 1B with any experience at the position. I guess we will see more of Josh Fields at that spot?

Fortunately, it looks like Paulie is fine. He has hit 3 HR in his last 5 games, and has a 9 game hitting streak (9 games is how long he has been back from his days off).

Also, backups for 1B are just not a big concern. Fields will be fine or even pretty decent over there as a short term, occasional fill-in. Long term there is Allen. And guys like Nix or even Dye could play there just fine in a pinch.

This is really just not a concern, when you look at all the real issues the team faces.