PDA

View Full Version : Just in theory: Cubs/Pods would ya?

Redus Redux
06-23-2009, 03:21 AM
This comes down to how much one hates the Cubs.

if the Cubs wanted to overpay with prospects for Pods.... seeing as how they have had issues with RF and kickstarting the offense.... would you do it?

Potentially help the Cubs become a power, albeit with the caveat that it perhaps moves you into the upper echelon of farm systems.

Redus Redux
06-23-2009, 03:23 AM
And before people kill me, lets call it Pods and Dotel for a few very solid prospects.

It's Dankerific
06-23-2009, 03:24 AM
I'm for it if it is for legit prospects. Karchner for Garland worked out well.

Redus Redux
06-23-2009, 03:29 AM

As soon as that trade happened, one of my best friends absolutely let me have it.

Ever since, I have made a disproportionate portion of my life spent as a "last laugh" against him

LITTLE NELL
06-23-2009, 06:18 AM
Why on earth would we want to give up our only viable leadoff hitter. If Pods is healthy he's our man.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-23-2009, 08:17 AM
I presume the premise of this trade is based on the Sox being out of it or deciding this year will not win us a division, correct?

If that's the case, then as long as the deal is right, take it. It's the Cubs - you could give them Mantle, Dimaggio and Maris - Ramirez, Lee and Soriano will still choke in the NLDS.

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2009, 08:22 AM
If we were to fall completely out of it I wouldn't have any objection to making a trade with the Cubs for prospects. But I don't think we're going to fall out of it any time soon, this division is too terrible for that.

white sox bill
06-23-2009, 08:58 AM

Yes great trade...but the one before that, some guy named Taco Bell for another named Shammy....

asindc
06-23-2009, 09:06 AM
If the trade helps the Sox, so what if it involves the Cubs? (That's not a rhetorical question, by the way.)

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Yes great trade...but the one before that, some guy named Taco Bell for another named Shammy....

Imagine if Sosa was here during the Flintstones era - you think Cub fans would be quiet about recent revelations?

Chez
06-23-2009, 10:12 AM
if the Cubs wanted to overpay with prospects for Pods.... seeing as how they have had issues with RF and kickstarting the offense.... would you do it?

Pods couldn't play rightfield in most little league stadiums. He has a noodle arm. Now if Soriano went down with an injury, and the Cubs were willing to overpay, AND the Sox dropped out of contention, then sure.

cws05champ
06-23-2009, 10:19 AM
If the Sox are out of it, there shouldn't be any team that is excluded from dealing with especially since the guys mentioned are FA's at the end of the year. But to be clear I don't think adding Pods and Dotel make any decent team a world beater.

I don't see too many impact minor leaguers on the North side that would help us down the line(since they will not give up Vitters for anybody). Maybe a Jake Fox for a cheap DH....

ChiSoxFan81
06-23-2009, 10:48 AM
This poll needs a "depends on the situation" option. The Scrubs are just another team. If we can get helpful pieces in return, sure, why not? In this particular case, I don't see why we would trade Pods. We didn't have a leadoff hitter last year or this year until he came back. We're trying to extend him thru next year as well. The only caveat I have with ever trading with the Scrubs is giving them a guy that would put them over the top. I don't think our management would let that happen though, for fear of the fallout.

UofCSoxFan
06-23-2009, 11:23 AM
This poll needs a "depends on the situation" option.

I think all these "would you trade x player" polls do. I love how people immediately say, 'no way" or "why would we do that?" without knowning who is in return. Would I trade Pods for a mediocre prospect...no...not when the sox are in it anyway. Would I trade him for Vitters...of course. Granted the later is not likely but seriously..you should never say never. Chances are when you have gone a century since your last championship and you have a ton o backdated contracts that will mean you likely will have a few lean yars ahead...you may be willing to overpay with prospects if you think this is the year.

Keep in mind, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams on the day of their deaths in 1826 were closer to a Cubs World Series victory (82 years away) than a person born today....by 19 years!!!

jabrch
06-23-2009, 02:07 PM
IFF we are OUT OF IT - 8+ games or so at the deadline - then I'd trade Pods to the highest bidder regardless of who it is.

DumpJerry
06-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Do the Cubs have any hot prospects? The only name I keep hearing is that Fox kid and the knock on him is he cannot field, only hit very well.

I know this will sound weird, but we might have better prospects than the Cubs right now.

Moses_Scurry
06-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Do the Cubs have any hot prospects? The only name I keep hearing is that Fox kid and the knock on him is he cannot field, only hit very well.

I know this will sound weird, but we might have better prospects than the Cubs right now.

Vitters is the one I hear about, but I doubt they would trade him for Podsednik. I think the cub fans who actually follow the team would have heart attacks if they pulled that trigger.

Eddo144
06-23-2009, 05:20 PM
This comes down to how much one hates the Cubs.

Potentially help the Cubs become a power, albeit with the caveat that it perhaps moves you into the upper echelon of farm systems.
Any time any team wants to overpay for any player, do it. That's why they call it overpaying.

getonbckthr
06-23-2009, 07:19 PM
If Kenny feels this season is a loss then yes absolutely I would. In theory they both have expiring contracts. We can re-sign Pods during free agency. I don't care who I help as long as the return is fair value.

thomas35forever
06-24-2009, 12:38 AM
I gotta say no on this. If it happened and the Cubs made the playoffs, their fans would tell us "thanks for so-and-so. It put us over the top." Remember the Sox are competing in the city with another team for fans.

rdivaldi
06-24-2009, 11:41 PM

Uh, that's not weird at all. The White Sox farm system is stocked pretty well right now.

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Uh, that's not weird at all. The White Sox farm system is stocked pretty well right now.
And to think that, just a few years ago, it was pretty weak! I guess the scouting department's taken off.