PDA

View Full Version : Beckham's HR Ball

ChicagoHoosier
06-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Did anyone see the game in person Saturday? My friend next to me said he thought he saw the following happen after Beckham's first home run.

Fan threw the Beckham HR ball from the stands onto the field. Ball thrown to Cox. Cox hands it to a kid in the stands.

WHAT? I only hope that kid in the stands is Beckham's brother or family member. Why else would that ball not have been given to the dugout?

I searched the web and this site to see if anyone else had posted this and haven't found my answer.

Jim Shorts
06-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Besides Sox fans, who would have know it was Bacon's first HR?

soltrain21
06-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Besides Sox fans, who would have know it was Bacon's first HR?

But Cox would know it is his first homer, thus throwing it into the dugout as opposed to some kid in the stands.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Either Cox had a brain cramp or he gave it to a kid who works for the HOF.

oeo
06-22-2009, 05:48 PM
I don't think it was thrown back. I think the kid that originally got it held onto it.

BigP50
06-22-2009, 05:49 PM
baseball players and coaches like to throw balls in the stands, so it looks like the Important one but they really have a fake.

ChicagoHoosier
06-22-2009, 05:49 PM
I wish I had seen it with my own eyes. Supposedly, the guy in RF threw it into the field, it was thrown to Cox, who gave it to a kid.

I'd rather the guy in the stands have kept it and Cox not have done something like that. I hope you guys or right.

Even better would be that Cox gave it to some family member of Bacon's.

hi im skot
06-22-2009, 05:51 PM
I was at the game and did not see the ball thrown back.

FWIW.

ChicagoHoosier
06-22-2009, 05:55 PM
I was at the game, was high-5ing and fist pumping and was told what my buddy saw after. I wasn't paying attention nor would I have even thought to.

KMcMahon817
06-22-2009, 06:11 PM
The kid who caught it kept it.

DirtySox
06-22-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm sure Gordon got the ball back in exchange for a signed bat or something similar. Not something to worry about.

Rohan
06-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm sure Gordon got the ball back in exchange for a signed bat or something similar. Not something to worry about.

That's usually how it works. But they didn't seem to make any note of it on TV.

soxfanreggie
06-22-2009, 06:55 PM
I hope he got the ball. Usually it costs the player a bat and a signed ball or something like that.

soltrain21
06-22-2009, 06:58 PM
I hope he got the ball. Usually it costs the player a bat and a signed ball or something like that.

Unless you are the Happy Funster or whatever his name was.

SoxGirl4Life
06-22-2009, 08:02 PM
I didn't see anyone throw it back. They showed the kid who caught it and he was with his dad (I assume) and seemed generally happy to have the ball. Maybe your friend is trying to tick you off? :dunno:

ChicagoHoosier
06-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks everyone. Makes me feel better that you all think Beckham got it. It must have been another ball or something that my friend saw. Or he's a goofball - he was rooting for the Reds, after all.

tacosalbarojas
06-22-2009, 11:33 PM
It was only the first of 950...no big whip to our guy Bacon.

Brian26
06-22-2009, 11:40 PM
It was only the first of 950...no big whip to our guy Bacon.

:thumbsup:

T-Bag
06-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Did anyone see the game in person Saturday? My friend next to me said he thought he saw the following happen after Beckham's first home run.

Fan threw the Beckham HR ball from the stands onto the field. Ball thrown to Cox. Cox hands it to a kid in the stands.

WHAT? I only hope that kid in the stands is Beckham's brother or family member. Why else would that ball not have been given to the dugout?

I searched the web and this site to see if anyone else had posted this and haven't found my answer.

I was there and saw/thought the same thing. A ball (not sure if it was THE ball) was thrown back onto the field from the LC area where the HR ball was caught. The ball ended up w/ Cox who tossed it into the stands. It did happen like you saw it, just no idea if it was the HR ball or another ball.

PS: It was damn hot there.

Zisk77
06-23-2009, 01:34 PM
slight o`f hand ball trick is often played on rookies who get first hit or hr.

JermaineDye05
06-23-2009, 01:41 PM
slight o`f hand ball trick is often played on rookies who get first hit or hr.

Yeah, I remember OC did that last year when Getz got his first hit.

BubblingCalderon
06-23-2009, 10:42 PM
I was at the game sitting in Left field and the ball was thrown back from the same area the ball was hit to. I have no way of knowing if that guy did the cubbie switch or not because I was a section right of where the ball landed. I remember thinking immediately how dumb the fan was for throwing back the homerun ball considering you can usually make a sweet trade on milestone dingers.

Cox did give the ball to a kid. I tried to keep an eye on the kid who got the ball to see if he was approached by anyone. He definitely wasn't approached in between innings after the ball was hit. I cant guarantee that he wasn't approached later in the game but I did try to pay attention simply because I have never seen an exchange like that happen and I was curious as to how the deal takes place. My brother who I was sitting with was also paying attention to that area neither of us saw any exchange take place.

salty99
06-24-2009, 01:03 AM
I asked Beckham today if he got the ball back and he said he did.