PDA

View Full Version : Who is/are the Sox All-Stars right now?

kittle42
06-22-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure, looking at the numbers, that the Sox will have more than one representative at the ASG this season.

Who do you guys think it/they will be?

If the selection were to occur right now, I would say Buehrle, with Jenks second, depending on how many closers are taken from other teams as their token representatives.

Rohan
06-22-2009, 04:45 PM
:pods:

"Put me in coach"

If he keeps getting that average up and tacks on a few stolen bases, I don't see why not... It's a long shot. But since when has that effected our standing in the All-Star game :rolleyes:.

ChiSoxFan81
06-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Buhrls for sure. I think JD deserves it too, especially after getting shafted last year (not by Longoria, but by Crede. If Longoria gets voted in by the manager at 3B, Dye wins the final ballot).

Britt Burns
06-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Buehrle. Usually the Sox get hosed out of having players selected, but this time MB is the only one who deserves to go.

TheAnswer32
06-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Buehrle. Usually the Sox get hosed out of having players selected, but this time MB is the only one who deserves to go.

qft

eriqjaffe
06-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Dewayne Wise

jmeneghini1433
06-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Matt Thornton?

ChiSoxFan81
06-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Matt Thornton?

Middle relievers basically have no shot at getting selected.

KRS1
06-22-2009, 04:52 PM

"Put me in coach"

If he keeps getting that average up and tacks on a few stolen bases, I don't see why not... It's a long shot. But since when has that effected our standing in the All-Star game :rolleyes:.

Because his name isn't on the ballot and there's little chance he makes it on the fan vote ballot.

Rohan
06-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Because his name isn't on the ballot and there's little chance he makes it on the fan vote ballot.

Well the fan vote ballot was the only way i really saw him getting on.
But the managers choose the bench, do they not?

asindc
06-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Middle relievers basically have no shot at getting selected.

It has happened before, but it is extremely rare.

I would have no problem with Buehrle being the only Sox rep this year, but JD, Jenks, and to a much lesser extent Pods should be in the discussion. I also agree that JD is "owed" one because of last year. Hell, for that matter, AJ should have gotten in before Varitek (who shouldn't have, really?), something even some Boston fans have admitted to me.

Chez
06-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Well the fan vote ballot was the only way i really saw him getting on.
But the managers choose the bench, do they not?

Because he's not good enough! He's done a great job; but he's no all star -- not by a long shot. Right now, the only three worthy of consideration are Buehrle, Jenks and Thornton. I'm guessing it will be Buehrle.

palehozenychicty
06-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Buehrle and possibly JD, if he can get another solid week in before the break.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Buehrle is the only person that is truely deserving to be there for the Sox. Jenks, maybe, but there are a few better closers out there with slightly better stats.

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2009, 05:21 PM
AJ is deserving. Other than Mauer is there another catcher who is really deserving to go? I can't think of one. I'm sure someone here can.

Tragg
06-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Mb

mccoydp
06-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Mark Buehrle.

thedudeabides
06-22-2009, 05:25 PM
AJ is deserving. Other than Mauer is there another catcher who is really deserving to go? I can't think of one. I'm sure someone here can.

Victor Martinez. Although, I agree AJ has a shot to go. I wonder if Mauer will even play.

UChicagoHP
06-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Burls is the only Sox player who will go/deserves to go, imo...

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Brian Anderson

Red Barchetta
06-22-2009, 06:05 PM

"Put me in coach"

Maybe not All-Star, but if he keeps playing like he has, probably a shoe-in for "Comeback Player of the Year".

White City
06-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Beckham in '10; who knows in '09.

PalehosePlanet
06-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Victor Martinez. Although, I agree AJ has a shot to go. I wonder if Mauer will even play.

AJ with his 18 RBI and .209 avg w/RISP deserves to go nowhere. Throw in a team leading 8 GIDP's and ****ty defense, and no way.

Besides Mauer and Martinez, Rod Barajas, Posada, Napoli and maybe even Kurt Suzuki have been better.

Buehrle and Jenks are my choices.

soxfanreggie
06-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Middle relievers are probably only going to make it when they are trying to pull one person off of a team like the K.C.'s or Tampa's of a few years back.

MB and Jenks would be my first two choices with MB #1.

Noneck
06-22-2009, 07:02 PM
AJ with his 18 RBI
And with 7HR's that means he actually only drove in 11 baserunners this year beside himself. That is god awful.

BigP50
06-22-2009, 07:20 PM
MB56, Dye, Scotty Pods

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2009, 07:26 PM
And with 7HR's that means he actually only drove in 11 baserunners this year beside himself. That is god awful.
Look who he's hitting behind! He's been getting on base with regularity, which is pretty much all he can do.

Noneck
06-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Look who he's hitting behind! He's been getting on base with regularity, which is pretty much all he can do.
Well he has been batting either 5,6 or 7 which I have read here is right behind the cream of this team. But maybe it is not fair to get on him because he would probably have to get a lot of triples to score those guys from 1st. .209 avg w/RISP is crap tho.

SoxSpeed22
06-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Buehrle and Thornton get in. Buehrle has been our best pitcher this year. Since the game is in St. Louis, Maddon is going to want to carry more pitchers. Thornton has been very cruel on lefties all year. The only other left handed reliever who has better is George Sherrill, who will probably be Baltimore's lone rep.

thedudeabides
06-22-2009, 08:01 PM
AJ with his 18 RBI and .209 avg w/RISP deserves to go nowhere. Throw in a team leading 8 GIDP's and ****ty defense, and no way.

Besides Mauer and Martinez, Rod Barajas, Posada, Napoli and maybe even Kurt Suzuki have been better.

I agree with you. But, after Mauer and Martinez he is right in line offensively with the rest of the group, and usually offensive numbers are all that counts in the All-star selection. After Buehrle and he may have the best shot to make the team. I think Dye will get passed over, as there will be outfielders with better numbers.

Daver
06-22-2009, 08:12 PM
None of the players on this team deserve to be on the All Star team, my guess is Mark will be the lone representitive.

Huisj
06-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Middle relievers are probably only going to make it when they are trying to pull one person off of a team like the K.C.'s or Tampa's of a few years back.

MB and Jenks would be my first two choices with MB #1.

It happens every once in a while too if a guy has just eye-popping stats, like an era of 0.50 or something crazy or if a spot gets vacated by another pitcher declining their invitation. Jeff Zimmerman, Okajima and Marmol come to mind.

Shoeless_Jeff
06-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Mark Buehrle

I did a write in vote for Scotty.

Brian26
06-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Buehrle is the only guy that deserves it.

What amazes me is that people here are almost unanimously picking Dye when he has fewer RBIs and is batting twenty-five points less than Konerko. I'm not saying either of those two deserve it, but I don't value Dye's extra six homers over what PK's done so far.

WhiteSox1989
06-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Mark. Possibly Paulie, as well.

Pods deserves it too, I think. I wrote him in. I know he won't end up making it though.

ChiSoxFan81
06-23-2009, 10:33 AM

What amazes me is that people here are almost unanimously picking Dye when he has fewer RBIs and is batting twenty-five points less than Konerko. I'm not saying either of those two deserve it, but I don't value Dye's extra six homers over what PK's done so far.

The problem is that Konerko doesn't have his usual power numbers. Dye's aren't ultra-impressive either, but higher than PK's as far as HRs and SLG. 1B is highly competitive when it comes to AS games, and without power stats, it's not very likely to happen. While PK makes a lot of great diving stops and picks, I'd have to give the edge on defense to Dye also. You might say that because he is slow he has to dive and jump for a lot of plays, but he still gets the job done.

mzh
06-23-2009, 11:20 AM
MB, definitely, possibly Konerko or Dye. With Pods, he seems to be having a very similar season to what he did in 05, sans the steals and a higher average this year. I agree that JD got robbed last year, but I think Konerko is more deserving than Dye this year, Throw in Konerko's high RBI count and high RISP, I think he is an all-together more deserving candidate.

MB is from St. Louis, so why not let him get a shot :D:

kittle42
06-23-2009, 11:45 AM
I really think no one has a chance other than Buehrle and Jenks. Konerko and Dye simply do not have the numbers for the positions they play.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Mark Buehrle

I did a write in vote for Scotty.

I did 25 write-in votes for Pods. :D:

I also agree with you on this one. I would vote for PK before Dye.

bigdommer
06-23-2009, 01:46 PM

By no means is AJ an "all-star" but let's face it, the options at AL catcher are not that good. Mauer probably will not play. Posada and Martinez have caught about 30 games apiece. Barajas and Suzuki have worse numbers than AJ. Assuming Varitek gets the fan vote (if Mauer sits), that leaves AJ and Napoli as probably the most deserving candidates to claim a reserve spot. Once again, I don't think he deserves it, but he has a better chance than Konerko (outside top 5 at 1st) and Dye (outside top 10 in OF).

For the record, MB makes it (5-7 best AL starter) and Jenks probably does (Rivera, Papelbon, and Nathan selected before Bobby, and he fights with Sherill and Fuentes for whatever spots are left).

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-25-2009, 09:55 PM
I never really thought about it until right now. There really aren't that many deserving candidates, and it's not like the whole team is garbage like they were in 07. I think Buehrle is a shoe-in and very well may be the only one to make it. Konerko and Podsednik deserve some consideration, but I highly doubt either will make it.