PDA

View Full Version : Marte loses to the flubbies Hijack

pilotsox
06-21-2009, 03:10 PM
What about Billy Koch? Or Andy Gonzalez? Damaso Marte?

What the heck did Damaso do to make this list?

mccoydp
06-21-2009, 03:10 PM

Probably the Cubs game at Wrigley in 2004.

AlleghenySoxFan
06-21-2009, 03:11 PM

let inherited runners score throughout his career.

Demps2
06-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Probably the Cubs game at Wrigley in 2004.

he let in a bases loaded walk to let the cubs sweep us. he also had a 0-2 count. bottom 9th when it happened.

Soxman219
06-21-2009, 03:15 PM

He was lucky El Duque saved him in 05.

whitesoxfan
06-21-2009, 03:16 PM
he let in a bases loaded walk to let the cubs sweep us. he also had a 0-2 count. bottom 9th when it happened.

Yeah, thanks. I'm sure no one else here remembers that.

TheAnswer32
06-21-2009, 03:20 PM

4th of July, ESPN, remember it like it was yesterday.:(:

mccoydp
06-21-2009, 03:23 PM

Unfortunately, it is etched in my mind. Ugh.

Whitesoxfan23
06-21-2009, 03:24 PM

I have been to 4 White Sox games my entire life, because I live in Oklahoma, and unfortunately that was one of the games that I was at.

Demps2
06-21-2009, 03:24 PM

yep, Buerhle gives up HR to DLee early, CLee Hr's for us in 9th, and then Marte blows it.:angry:

thomas35forever
06-21-2009, 03:27 PM
I had to endure watching that game with a bunch of Cubs fans too. God, that sucked.:angry:

AlleghenySoxFan
06-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Hey, lets stop all this old heartbreaking losses to the cubs talk and reminiscing about old bad relievers
We won today
we went 5-3 on this road trip
without TCQ
without Jim Thome
without a healthy JD
we had four errors yesterday and the starting pitcher didn't last four innings and we still won.
We won today with people like Wise stepping up.
I don't know about y'all but I got a good vibe from the sox today:smile:

TheVulture
06-21-2009, 04:22 PM

Marte has allowed a lower percentage of inherited runners to score than Mariano Rivera throughout their respective careers by a margin of 5%.

Even in 2005, when Sox fans were through with Marte for this reason he only allowed 19.5% of inherited runners to score. Rivera's career average is over 25.5%. Marte last year put up the exact same percentage(19.5). By further comparison, Matt Thornton since '07 has allowed 35.0% of inherited runners to score. Marte's career is 20.8%.

C-Dawg
06-21-2009, 04:52 PM
I have been to 4 White Sox games my entire life, because I live in Oklahoma, and unfortunately that was one of the games that I was at.

I've only been to Wrigley Field twice as an adult (after staying away since about 1980) and that unfortunately was one of the games. Humiliating, to say the least.

TommyJohn
06-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Marte has allowed a lower percentage of inherited runners to score than Mariano Rivera throughout their respective careers by a margin of 5%.

Even in 2005, when Sox fans were through with Marte for this reason he only allowed 19.5% of inherited runners to score. Rivera's career average is over 25.5%. Marte last year put up the exact same percentage(19.5). By further comparison, Matt Thornton since '07 has allowed 35.0% of inherited runners to score. Marte's career is 20.8%.

Don't bother defending him. Once he committed the unpardonable sin of losing to the Cubs, he was finished here. He has no more redeemable qualities. Scott Linebrink has joined him on the Sox fan all-time **** list.

doublem23
06-21-2009, 09:11 PM

Rivera is a closer, his job is not to strand runners. That's a very misleading stat. Is Lefty O'Doul a better player than Babe Ruth because he had a higher career batting average?

TheVulture
06-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Rivera is a closer, his job is not to strand runners.

If he's inheriting runners, I would assume his objective would be to prevent them from scoring. He's generally considered one of the best, if not the best, relievers ever, so I thought it would be a good comparison.

That's a very misleading stat. Is Lefty O'Doul a better player than Babe Ruth because he had a higher career batting average.

No, but i wouldn't be complaining about his batting average. The poster I responded to said Marte is hated because of a propensity throughout his career to allow inherited runners to score. That stat indicates, however, that he in fact has allowed inherited runners to score at a remarkably low rate. I don't see how it could be misleading.

doublem23
06-22-2009, 05:44 AM
If he's inheriting runners, I would assume his objective would be to prevent them from scoring. He's generally considered one of the best, if not the best, relievers ever, so I thought it would be a good comparison.

But closers don't inherit runners that often, they usually enter the game at the start of an inning with the bases empty. Picking 1 stat and pretending like it is tell all and pretending like every job out of the bullpen is exactly the same is very, very misleading.

Damaso Marte ****ing sucks. No stats needed to verify that statement.

Huisj
06-22-2009, 01:55 PM
But closers don't inherit runners that often, they usually enter the game at the start of an inning with the bases empty. Picking 1 stat and pretending like it is tell all and pretending like every job out of the bullpen is exactly the same is very, very misleading.

Especially Rivera. During the regular season at least, it seems that very few of his saves come from situations where he is brought in early to get out of a jam. His numbers for his career have been remarkable, but he's also been coddled at times.

mrfourni
06-22-2009, 02:59 PM

But he did compare him to Matt Thornton. Damaso was very good for the sox for a while. To say he ****ing sucks is a little unfair. And without him, we may never have been able to experience the Mackowiak era.

SOXSINCE'70
06-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Yet another miserable July 4th weekend for me.:angry:

mantis1212
06-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Yet another miserable July 4th weekend for me.:angry:

I was at that game- walking down the ramp after the game in the Urinal with drunk Cub fans was brutal

doublem23
06-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Especially Rivera. During the regular season at least, it seems that very few of his saves come from situations where he is brought in early to get out of a jam. His numbers for his career have been remarkable, but he's also been coddled at times.

On top of that, not all inherited runners are the same. If a guy comes in and lets 1-2 runners score when his team is already up by 10, that's not a big deal.

Damaso had a few quality years with the Sox, yes, but he also had a tendency to meltdown in critical situations, IIRC. I guess my main point is that looking at only 1 stat and saying it is the end all, be all way to categorize players (especially those who perform different roles), you will get skewed and misleading results.

ShoelessJoeS
06-22-2009, 04:51 PM
He was lucky El Duque saved him in 05.:rooney

"Hocus Pocus!"