PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-21 "Don't Make Easy Wins Interesting" Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
06-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Let's go home and "welcome" the Dodgers with open arms.:cool:

pilotsox
06-21-2009, 03:58 PM
It's nice to see Wise's timely hit is met with honest and genuine compliments, and not backhanded ones about how he still sucks. It's times like these where I start to wonder what Wise did to make his hatred so personal.

If, say, Linebrink threw a splendid 1-2-3 inning in a tight game, I'm sure he'd be met with "WTG Liney! Keep it up!" and not, "Eh, whatever. You still suck, Linebrink." Same goes for Fields or BA or whomever. But when it's Wise contributing, it's necessary to have a reminder about how still blows. Why is that?

I'm not saying you have to love the guy. But we can't at least commend him without inserting insults at every possible point.

Anyways, Sox win! Solid win to conclude a solid roadtrip.

Soxman219
06-21-2009, 03:59 PM
We had the lead in every game this road trip. We could've been on a 9-game winning streak!:o:

Great win today, now let's start winning at home.

doublem23
06-21-2009, 03:59 PM
kM7C_yNlCLU

doublem23
06-21-2009, 04:00 PM
It's nice to see Wise's timely hit is met with honest and genuine compliments, and not backhanded ones about how he still sucks. It's times like these where I start to wonder what Wise did to make his hatred so personal.

His double doesn't mean he magically doesn't suck any more, it means he got a double.

veeter
06-21-2009, 04:01 PM
The title should be Scott Linebrink doesn't make wins easy. I haven't disliked a Sox player as much as him, in a long time. My Father's day gift was that missle landing in Alexei's glove. Thank you baseball Gods. But I have to say I never miss the Anderson, Getz and Beckham trio, when they come to bat. I love those guys. Congrats Mark Buehrle on 40 games over .500!!!!!

October26
06-21-2009, 04:02 PM
A White sox winner for my 80 year old dad on Father's Day! Thank you White Sox! :bandance:

The last two games have been fun (minus the Linebrink inning). Buehrle ges his 7th win of the season! :bandance: Yippee!

pilotsox
06-21-2009, 04:04 PM
His double doesn't mean he magically doesn't suck any more, it means he got a double.

Granted. But can you say, "Yesss, double for DeWayne!" and leave it at that, and not "Yesss, double for DeWayne, who still sucks!"?

It just seems unnecessary.

SoxGirl4Life
06-21-2009, 04:04 PM
kM7C_yNlCLU

Thanks Doub!

Nice, boring, win for the Sox! :D:

thomas35forever
06-21-2009, 04:05 PM
A White sox winner for my 80 year old dad on Father's Day! Thank you White Sox! :bandance:

The last two games have been fun (minus the Linebrink inning). Buehrle ges his 7th win of the season! :bandance: Yippee!
That should be the last game-and-a-half has been fun. The first half of yesterday's game was nothing to cheer about.

whitesoxfan
Granted. But can you say, "Yesss, double for DeWayne!" and leave it at that, and not "Yesss, double for DeWayne, who still sucks!"?

It just seems unnecessary.

Maybe if he was over the Mendoza line, he'd deserve that treatment.

SoxGirl4Life
The title should be Scott Linebrink doesn't make wins easy. I haven't disliked a Sox player as much as him, in a long time. My Father's day gift was that missle landing in Alexei's glove. Thank you baseball Gods. But I have to say I never miss the Anderson, Getz and Beckham trio, when they come to bat. I love those guys. Congrats Mark Buehrle on 40 games over .500!!!!!

You must have deleted MacDougal from memory

Demps2
06-21-2009, 04:06 PM
what do we do w/ Linebrink and this bullpen? it is going south lately. If we play the way we did in Cincy vs. LA, we are going down for sure. If that ball that Alexei caught (DP) was hit in the air, it's a HR. while a win is nice, there are some not so good things with this pitching staff. don't just look at the final score. we faced a lineup w/out 2 middle of the order hitters, and they aren't a good offense with those guys in there. I hate being a pessimist, but this team has too many flaws to compete.

thomas35forever
06-21-2009, 04:06 PM
You must have deleted MacDougal from memory
What about Billy Koch? Or Andy Gonzalez? Damaso Marte?

SoxGirl4Life
06-21-2009, 04:07 PM

Well, yes, there are a few more I would put before Linebrink as the worst Sox player. But MacDougal actually gave me the shakes

AlleghenySoxFan
06-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Good win
How about Wise the last two games
maybe he is starting to finally turn it around.

whitesoxfan
06-21-2009, 04:08 PM
If that ball that Alexei caught (DP) was hit in the air, it's a HR.

Huh?

I didn't need to read any more of your post after that.

thomas35forever
06-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Good win
How about Wise the last two games
maybe he is starting to finally turn it around.
Please don't say that. It could be a tease. If he keeps his roster spot when Q comes back, he'll start sucking again. Just watch.

TDog
06-21-2009, 04:09 PM

Wise has a pretty good game Saturday night, too.

Of course, in his first at bat today, he was hit by a pitch so he didn't have the opportunity to get the runner in from third with less than two outs. He had two strikes on him, but the runner was on second at the beginning of his at bat. The way the inning developed, the Sox might have been better off is Wise hadn't been hit.

TheAnswer32
06-21-2009, 04:10 PM
My kind of game. Good pitching, great fielding, manufacture some runs...I love it!

mccoydp
06-21-2009, 04:10 PM
I wanted to choke Linebrink, but, thankfully, his damage was limited.

Well-pitched game by Buehrle, and the 4th run "insurance run" was nice.

pilotsox
06-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Please don't say that. It could be a tease. If he keeps his roster spot when Q comes back, he'll start sucking again. Just watch.

That's what I'm talking about. So personal. No ability to just be happy for the guy for two decent games in a row. Maybe it's not legit, but maybe it is. Everybody doesn't need to piss all over it. Just live in the moment and appreciate what Wise has done these past two days.

October26
06-21-2009, 04:12 PM
That should be the last game-and-a-half has been fun. The first half of yesterday's game was nothing to cheer about.

In my temporary insanity caused by a White sox winner, I forgot about the first half of last night's game. I saw the whole game last night and yes part 1 was awful. :redface: You are correct, the last game-and-a-half have been fun. Ok - time to go out and cut the grass. I'm out ...

Evman5
06-21-2009, 04:16 PM
we faced a lineup w/out 2 middle of the order hitters, and they aren't a good offense with those guys in there. I hate being a pessimist, but this team has too many flaws to compete.

You do realize that we are missing two middle of the order hitters as well, right? Actually 3 of them today.

palehozenychicty
06-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Good win today, and a good road trip through the NL Central. As someone mentioned earlier, the Sox were in every game this past week, and had two of the losses in control.

The Doyers have been one of the game's most balanced teams this year. They are really fun to watch. Let's see if we can bring it on Tuesday.

Noneck
06-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Its so nice to watch this team when the lineup is not loaded with base cloggers.

Demps2
06-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Good win today, and a good road trip through the NL Central. As someone mentioned earlier, the Sox were in every game this past week, and had two of the losses in control.

The Doyers have been one of the game's most balanced teams this year. They are really fun to watch. Let's see if we can bring it on Tuesday.

you are right about the Dodgers. even w/out Manny they are still very good. it should be interesting to see if Pierre, Furcal, and Hudson will run on us considering how horrible we are at preventing the SB. Billingsley is a stud.

35th and Shields
06-21-2009, 04:30 PM
what do we do w/ Linebrink and this bullpen? it is going south lately. If we play the way we did in Cincy vs. LA, we are going down for sure. If that ball that Alexei caught (DP) was hit in the air, it's a HR. while a win is nice, there are some not so good things with this pitching staff. don't just look at the final score. we faced a lineup w/out 2 middle of the order hitters, and they aren't a good offense with those guys in there. I hate being a pessimist, but this team has too many flaws to compete.

Were without three of our best hitters in this series.

Shoeless
06-21-2009, 04:32 PM
That's a White Sox Winner!!!!

voodoochile
06-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Were without three of our best hitters in this series.

Ah who cares, they just clog the bases anyway...:rolleyes:

Hey, a series win! How cool is that?!?!!! Still, glad to be done with this NL park crap (at least I think we are... someone hold me if we aren't :tongue: )

More Pods, More Beckham, more good pitching and of course the ever cool and simple way to clinch a win - the line drive 6-4 DP with men on first and second and a two run lead in the bottom of the 8th.

Today the defense was fine and a good thing because the Sox didn't hit 4 HR.

Back to 1 game behind the twinkies and tied in the loss column. Glad tomorrow is a day off. Hope JD is ready to go on Tuesday.

:soxwin:

:)

UChicagoHP
06-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Its so nice to watch this team when the lineup is not loaded with base cloggers.

I love base-cloggers, because they actually get on base!

PalehosePlanet
06-21-2009, 04:46 PM

Actually I'm starting to think that Fields will be demoted to AAA when Q is ready and that Wise will stay.

voodoochile
06-21-2009, 04:47 PM

Our base cloggers have been known to occasionally clear the bases too...

whitesoxfan
06-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Actually I'm starting to think that Fields will be demoted to AAA when Q is ready and that Wise will stay.

Ugh, I hope not.

KyWhiSoxFan
06-21-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm sure there are stats out there that would provide some insight into this ... but I don't trust Linebrink out there two days in a row. I think his arm is too fragile to pitch back to back. My impression is he is worse on the second time out in two days than in the first outing.

Of course, not putting him out there at all either day would provide the best results.

october23sp
06-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Just after I give up hope on this team they draw me back in. Here's to hoping I don't give up hope again this season.

Evman5
06-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Hopefully Poreda can work his way into the Linebrink role...when is he going to get another shot after that successful debut?

Demps2
06-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Just after I give up hope on this team they draw me back in. Here's to hoping I don't give up hope again this season.

speaking about "hope" you have to "hope" they start hitting at home w/ the warmer weather. I hope this isn't a team that just teases you.

BadBobbyJenks
06-21-2009, 04:56 PM

Fields is the only back up option at first though, so I doubt it.

Mark Buehrle continues his campaign to get to St Louis.

The Immigrant
06-21-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm sure there are stats out there that would provide some insight into this ... but I don't trust Linebrink out there two days in a row. I think his arm is too fragile to pitch back to back. My impression is he is worse on the second time out in two days than in the first outing.

Of course, not putting him out there at all either day would provide the best results.

These numbers don't include today's game:

5 games pitching on 0 days rest:

4.2 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 2 ER, 4BB, 5K, 3 HR — 2 L

The numbers would seem to indicate that he should not pitch in back to back games. Last year he did not after his DL stint.

Noneck
06-21-2009, 05:30 PM

Some do, some don't. I am just tired of the 3,4,5,6,7 being station to station. But as you said if a speed lineup doesn't get on it doesn't mean squat. My point was it is fun to watch a team with speed when they get on base.

Rohan
06-21-2009, 05:31 PM

Marte had his good times though.

wassagstdu
06-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Two guys I am pulling for to have great years: Pods and Wise. Pods is reminding us how the Sox won in 2005. And I really like what I have seen from Wise. He plays a good RF and CF, and has shown signs of being able to hit once he has a chance to get his timing.

Funny, but both of those guys have taken brutal criticism around here. I don't understand the hatred that seems to drive some of my fellow Sox "fans."

wassagstdu
06-21-2009, 05:39 PM
My favorite play today: The ball that slipped out of Buehrle's hand and ended up 3 feet high and 4 feet outside -- and Pierzynski pulled it back into the strike zone. Didn't get the call though.

BigP50
06-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I love when my power goes out right when the game is starting and cameback right when it ended

twinsuck
06-21-2009, 05:42 PM
speaking about "hope" you have to "hope" they start hitting at home w/ the warmer weather. I hope this isn't a team that just teases you.
The Sox always do better in warmer weather. I think it's the cool weather that gives them trouble.

palehozenychicty
06-21-2009, 06:00 PM
That's a White Sox Winner!!!!

Can this become a victory sig? :tongue:

Hartman
06-21-2009, 06:24 PM
I was at the game today with my dad (reds fan). Pretty good game, I saw Linebrink roll onto the mound and I knew he would make things interesting. If not for that gift to Alexei, I'm afraid we'd be in a much more difficult situation. Nice win regardless.

pilotsox
06-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Two guys I am pulling for to have great years: Pods and Wise. Pods is reminding us how the Sox won in 2005. And I really like what I have seen from Wise. He plays a good RF and CF, and has shown signs of being able to hit once he has a chance to get his timing.

Funny, but both of those guys have taken brutal criticism around here. I don't understand the hatred that seems to drive some of my fellow Sox "fans."

Absolutely agreed on Wise. I'm rooting my heart for the guy, because as much as I love my fellow White Sox fans, what I would love more is if one of our most criticized players makes them eat some serious crow.

And I noticed the Buehrle slipper as well, with AJ trying to pull it back. I found that quite amusing. It's almost like he was joking with the ump back there. I love AJ.

CLR01
06-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Our base cloggers have been known to occasionally clear the bases too...

"They don't call me double play Paulie for nothing."
:walnuts

Can this become a victory sig? :tongue:

No.

kitekrazy
06-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Mark Buehrle continues his campaign to get to St Louis.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????

DirtySox
06-21-2009, 06:36 PM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????

All-Star game is in St. Louis this year.

kitekrazy
06-21-2009, 06:37 PM
All-Star game is in St. Louis this year.

Oh that's right. Duh! on my behalf.

Zisk77
06-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Absolutely agreed on Wise. I'm rooting my heart for the guy, because as much as I love my fellow White Sox fans, what I would love more is if one of our most criticized players makes them eat some serious crow.

And I noticed the Buehrle slipper as well, with AJ trying to pull it back. I found that quite amusing. It's almost like he was joking with the ump back there. I love AJ.

Wait! Isn't A.J. the anti-christ 24/7?

Good to see Tragg's favorite Sox have a good couple of games.

Its amazing how many times Getz hits a liner on the nose that can't get over the rf's head. (I'm predicting about 10-13 hr a year when he finishes going through puberty.

I luv Bacon.

lookout tcm is ready to launch.

Pods is not channeling 2005, he is channeling Rod Carew!:o:

StillMissOzzie
06-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Linebrink still gives me the cold sweats when he makes an appearance, and thank you baseball gods for not making that liner that Alexei snagged for the inning-ending DP about 6" higher. But a win is a win, putting off for a while longer talk of a white flag-type trade and discussion of being a seller by the trading deadline.

SMO
:gulp:

SoxGirl4Life
06-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Linebrink still gives me the cold sweats when he makes an appearance, and thank you baseball gods for not making that liner that Alexei snagged for the inning-ending DP about 6" higher. But a win is a win, putting off for a while longer talk of a white flag-type trade and discussion of being a seller by the trading deadline.

SMO
:gulp:

Hey, 3 more games to .500. We only have to sweep the Dodgers! :cool:

KyWhiSoxFan
06-21-2009, 07:12 PM
These numbers don't include today's game:

5 games pitching on 0 days rest:

4.2 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 2 ER, 4BB, 5K, 3 HR 2 L

The numbers would seem to indicate that he should not pitch in back to back games. Last year he did not after his DL stint.

That answers the question for me. Linebrink stinks without rest. Think you can forward that to Ozzie?

slavko
06-21-2009, 07:49 PM

Forget the almost. He was joking with the ump. He didn't need teal.

Tragg
06-21-2009, 08:00 PM
The problem with the Sox at the Cell is that we're not hitting homers...that's bringing the proverbial knife to the gunfight if you can't knock them out of there.

The Immigrant
06-21-2009, 08:05 PM
The problem with the Sox at the Cell is that we're not hitting homers...

That should change with 90 degree weather in the forecast for the entire homestand.

Hartman
06-21-2009, 10:04 PM
I did see TCQ warming up with a trainer today before the game and he looked good.

TheAnswer32
06-21-2009, 10:08 PM
I did see TCQ warming up with a trainer today before the game and he looked good.

Don't me excited....

DirtySox
06-21-2009, 10:12 PM

Tidbit on the bottom of the article on that.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-22-white-sox-bits-chicago-jun22,0,4025507.story

JB98
06-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Buehrle has had a pretty good season overall, but it had been a few outings since he had really handcuffed an opponent. He did that today, and that was good to see.

I still can't believe the Reds pitched to Konerko in the fifth with a base open and Anderson on deck. Idiots. We'll take that one.

Podsednik continues to ignite the offense, and he continues to shock the hell out of me with his outstanding play. Frankly, this is the best I've ever seen Pods play.

chisoxfanatic
06-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Buehrle has had a pretty good season overall, but it had been a few outings since he had really handcuffed an opponent. He did that today, and that was good to see.

I still can't believe the Reds pitched to Konerko in the fifth with a base open and Anderson on deck. Idiots. We'll take that one.
I followed this game until about the 6th, and it seemed Cincinnati was just letting us control the game from the start. Nice job by Buehrle, and there was more than enough hitting!

GlassSox
06-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Podsednik continues to ignite the offense, and he continues to shock the hell out of me with his outstanding play. Frankly, this is the best I've ever seen Pods play.

I agree, I think he is better than 2005 but maybe just a little slower on the bases but what a comeback and we really needed it.:gulp:

JB98
06-21-2009, 11:19 PM
I agree, I think he is better than 2005 but maybe just a little slower on the bases but what a comeback and we really needed it.:gulp:

Yeah, he's lost a little bit of explosiveness on the basepaths, but he's still very much a threat when he gets on. I think he'd have a few more steals if we didn't have such a free-swinger in the No. 2 spot. Ramirez isn't taking any strikes to give Pods a chance to steal, that's for sure.

Gavin
06-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Yeah, he's lost a little bit of explosiveness on the basepaths, but he's still very much a threat when he gets on. I think he'd have a few more steals if we didn't have such a free-swinger in the No. 2 spot. Ramirez isn't taking any strikes to give Pods a chance to steal, that's for sure.

Pods has lost a step or two, for sure, and it doesn't help that Ramirez likes to foul off the perfect steal pitches, but hey... we could be complaining about worse things. Pods is essentially having a career year and Kenny Williams got him on the super cheap. Amazing.

DrCrawdad
06-22-2009, 12:23 AM
If I figured it correctly the Sox ERA against the NL Central this season is 2.63. Hopefully the Sox can make it a trend against not just the NL Central but the Dodgers and the NL West too.

g0g0
06-22-2009, 09:42 AM
1st Father's Day for me and I couldn't have asked to see a better game. They put the pressure on from the beginning. Now if only I had brought a misting fan or 50 lb bag of ice...

Jurr
06-22-2009, 10:21 AM

Yeah, the one thing that made Pods incredibly effective in '05 was having Gooch right behind him in the order. Tadahito could get Scotty over with greater consistency due to his plate discipline. Having a pure 2 hole hitter would make this lineup much more effective.

LauraJ14
06-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah, the one thing that made Pods incredibly effective in '05 was having Gooch right behind him in the order. Tadahito could get Scotty over with greater consistency due to his plate discipline. Having a pure 2 hole hitter would make this lineup much more effective.

I would like to see AJ back in the 2 spot - and move Alexei after Paul but that throws off Ozzie's L/R lineup that he likes to use. I think AJ has a better sense of what to do in the 2 spot than Alexei does and I think that Alexei is a better RBI guy than AJ is.

voodoochile
06-22-2009, 11:27 AM
I would like to see AJ back in the 2 spot - and move Alexei after Paul but that throws off Ozzie's L/R lineup that he likes to use. I think AJ has a better sense of what to do in the 2 spot than Alexei does and I think that Alexei is a better RBI guy than AJ is.

Ramirez is posting a .298/.351/.463/.814 line in the two hole.

Last year hitting in front of TCQ for the most part, AJ posted a .284/.307/.407/.714 line hitting second.

That's a massive difference and one you don't willingly swap out, IMO just because one guy seems to take pitches on steal attempts better. The offense has been much better with Pods and TCM at the top. I for one don't want to change a thing.

cws05champ
06-22-2009, 11:29 AM

I know it's a bit early but with Beckham going the other way more often than not, he may be a perfect #2 hitter right now. I know you really don't want to put that pressure on him right away, but from the way he has been lately it may be an ideal situation.

TDog
06-22-2009, 01:59 PM

Last year hitting in front of TCQ for the most part, AJ posted a .284/.307/.407/.714 line hitting second.

That's a massive difference and one you don't willingly swap out, IMO just because one guy seems to take pitches on steal attempts better. The offense has been much better with Pods and TCM at the top. I for one don't want to change a thing.

I get the sense that people here don't respect what Alexei Ramirez brings to the White Sox. I think he has the most potential of any hitter on the team. While he has been having some trouble with pitch recognition (and he isn't alone in that corner), he has shown more discipline hitting No. 2, which is probably why his average is higher from that position.

After the first time through the order, who is hitting behind you and in front of you is more important than what your number is in the batting order. A leadoff hitter may only bat leadoff once a game. I haven't talked to the coaches, but it looks like Ramirez has more focus when he has better hitters behind him.

It could be that Beckham might be a great No. 2 hitter as well. Maybe he would hit better higher in the lineup. Maybe there wouldn't be much difference in his hitting.

Beckham isn't going to move up in the order just so he can get more at bats than Ramirez. Beckham isn't the hitter Ramirez is now, and I don't think he'll ever be. That isn't a slam on Beckham. I think a lot of people here don't appreciate the talent the White Sox have in Ramirez.

ode to veeck
06-22-2009, 02:02 PM

and a bonus to have his baserunning in the #2 slot as well, with or without pods on base in front of him

hawkjt
06-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Alexei is fine in the second slot if he would just take that few pitches that Hawk and Stoney point out. Seems like a minor tweak..and it is surprising that Ozzie has not laid down the law as Hawk keeps suggesting he should.
If Alexei just lays off a couple of more pitches per game...all good.

TomBradley72
06-22-2009, 03:10 PM
I know it's a bit early but with Beckham going the other way more often than not, he may be a perfect #2 hitter right now. I know you really don't want to put that pressure on him right away, but from the way he has been lately it may be an ideal situation.

I agree. He's shown a nice "inside out" swing, and a greater inclination to take pitches/draw walks. Any increased pressure would be offset by seeing more fastballs, etc. with Dye/Thome/PK batting behind him, and/or with Pods on base in front of him.

TCM is a free swinger, rather than try to change him, drop him down in the order and let him go for the RBIs.