PDA

View Full Version : Skip Richard's next start

chisoxfanatic
06-20-2009, 11:50 PM
With the day off on Monday, I think Richard's next start should be skipped. He doesn't seem to be able to get this team very deep into games. I would rather the bullpen get a little more rest with a decision like this.

I hope Ozzie feels the same way.

BigP50
06-20-2009, 11:52 PM
his stuff doesn't really impress me. I think we could use him in a package deal because he has a lot of potential.

Sockinchisox
06-21-2009, 12:09 AM
I'd rather them give Poreda a start and see what he can do.

veeter
06-21-2009, 12:09 AM
I think Ozzie, Coop and Kenny are still trying to figure this kid out. He has been dominating. He's also, often times, been very ordinary. Personally, I hate when guys can't field their position. So I could take or leave him at this point.

veeter
06-21-2009, 12:10 AM
I'd rather them give Poreda a start and see what he can do.I like this idea.

tm1119
06-21-2009, 12:17 AM
his stuff doesn't really impress me. I think we could use him in a package deal because he has a lot of potential.

Those 2 statements contradict each other. Richard does not have great potential. I think Richard could be a solid 4th or 5th starter in the NL, but if he stays in the AL his destiny looks to be in the bullpen. Although he could be a pretty good bullpen arm if used correctly.
Skipping him wouldnt be a bad idea. And as someone else said Poreda should be given a start. Maybe even Torres in AAA could get a few starts to see what he has.

hawkjt
06-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Clay had it going great a few weeks ago...pinpoint control is the key and was hitting 95mph...last few starts he looks like he might be in a dead arm period...more like 91-92 and getting behind hitters...but I think you hang with him and pitch him Friday vs the Cubs..extra day might help him.

kittle42
06-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Wait, wasn't this the same guy we could NEVER THINK OF GETTING RID OF in a trade for a former Cy Young winner?

Nellie_Fox
06-21-2009, 01:48 AM
I'd rather them give Poreda a start and see what he can do.I'd like to see Poreda throw some strikes first.

jabrch
06-21-2009, 02:56 AM
Wait, wasn't this the same guy we could NEVER THINK OF GETTING RID OF in a trade for a former Cy Young winner?

Did anyone actually say that? Did anyone say that Clayton was a dealbreaker? (for a guy who refused to come here anyhow)

TDog
06-21-2009, 03:51 AM
I'd like to see Poreda throw some strikes first.

I can't imagine why anyone would believe he could go deeper into major league games than Richard.

As for skipping Richard's next start, I think the starting pitching already is putting too much pressure on the bullpen with a five-man rotation. The White Sox should seize the opportunity to give starters more rest. Maybe that will help them go deeper into games.

kittle42
06-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Did anyone actually say that? Did anyone say that Clayton was a dealbreaker? (for a guy who refused to come here anyhow)

I think people were saying why bother trading for Peavy when he wouldn't do much better than Richard.

Chicken Dinner
06-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Richard just flat out throws too many balls. His control is sporadic at best. He threw 65 pitches in just 3 innings.

russ99
06-21-2009, 11:15 AM
I can't imagine why anyone would believe he could go deeper into major league games than Richard.

As for skipping Richard's next start, I think the starting pitching already is putting too much pressure on the bullpen with a five-man rotation. The White Sox should seize the opportunity to give starters more rest. Maybe that will help them go deeper into games.

I have never been that impressed by Richard, and I think the good games he pitched this season are the exception, not the expectation. Up until this offseason he was never touted as a prospect, but his stock took off a bit due to last season with the Sox.

Poreda has vastly more upside, even though he's less experienced, and needs to refine his secondary pitches. He potentially could be a 2-3 starter or a closer, while Richard's pretty much topping out where he is now, 5th starter/reliever.

I'd really like to see the Sox give Aaron a spot start to see what he can do. He can throw three-inning relief outings (did so this spring) and started in the minors, so I can't see how he can't at least go 5 innings.

DirtySox
06-21-2009, 11:39 AM
I'd really like to see the Sox give Aaron a spot start to see what he can do. He can throw three-inning relief outings (did so this spring) and started in the minors, so I can't see how he can't at least go 5 innings.

He will be starting at some point this year without a doubt. He wasn't called up because the organization thinks we need bullpen help (though the pen has been sketchy lately). He will continue to get big league experience out of the bullpen until either Clayton completely falls off the map, or Kenny concedes the division by selling off some pieces. I predict him in the rotation by the all-star break.

dickallen15
06-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Poreda would struggle as a starter right now. He has a fastball, his other pitches aren't consistently major league quality.

I hope they have Richard spend some time throwing the ball to first base from flat ground. For a pitcher who was also a Division 1 QB, its amazing he can't throw the ball accurately to first base on a bunt. Most of the time, he isn't even close.

TDog
06-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Poreda has vastly more upside, even though he's less experienced, and needs to refine his secondary pitches. He potentially could be a 2-3 starter or a closer, while Richard's pretty much topping out where he is now, 5th starter/reliever.

Of course Poreda has more potential. Richard's longterm future with the Sox should be in the bullpen. But Poreda would have the same problem that Richard has in working hard, even he is getting guys out. Poreda right now doesn't seem to be the guy you would want to replace Richard if your complaint against Richard is that he doesn't throw enough strikes and it takes him 20 pitches to get through an inning.

Poreda will get a spot start when the Sox need a spot starter -- every team needs a few spot starts in addition to their regular rotation starts -- or if another Sox pitcher goes the way of Colon or early 2009 Contreras.

DirtySox
06-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Sox rotation flips so that Richard starts Thursday vs. Dodgers (and try to slow running game), Contreras Friday vs. Cubs (and RH lineup).MDGonzales Twitter (http://twitter.com/MDGonzales)

KyWhiSoxFan
06-21-2009, 12:33 PM
The fact that Richard is so horrific in the field is a major concern. I think it speaks to his commitment to his craft and his instincts as a pitcher and baseball player. He's just lost out there and not comfortable.

He has not value beyond relief as far as I'm concerned. He's good (sometimes) for a couple of innings, and his inability to get much past the 5th inning puts too much pressure on the pen every time he starts.

I think he gets one or two more starts and if he doesn't improve, I can see him relegated to the bullpen.

cws05champ
06-21-2009, 06:34 PM
The fact that Richard is so horrific in the field is a major concern. I think it speaks to his commitment to his craft and his instincts as a pitcher and baseball player. He's just lost out there and not comfortable.

He has not value beyond relief as far as I'm concerned. He's good (sometimes) for a couple of innings, and his inability to get much past the 5th inning puts too much pressure on the pen every time he starts.

I think he gets one or two more starts and if he doesn't improve, I can see him relegated to the bullpen.
Richard has improved by leaps and bounds from 2008 to 2009 in the field. C'mon, last year he couldn't throw the ball to 1st base, now he's improving greatly. You guys have absolutely no patience with these young pitchers. This is his 1st full year starting in the majors. Through 58 IP he has a 4.03 ERA...that's not bad. John Danks in his first year pitching in 2007, through 60 IP had a 4.40 ERA. Can Richard improve ...of course. He needs to develop his cutter more and improve his change up but he could be a decent back end starter if you give him time. Also remember that he is being jerked from starting to relief back and forth which takes some adjustment as well.