PDA

View Full Version : Congrats, Bacon!!!

chisoxfanatic
06-20-2009, 11:37 PM
I know you've probably never heard of WSI; but, if you by chance have and are reading this, congrats on getting your first major league homer, Gordon!!! Here's hoping we'll be seeing a few hundred more by you in a Sox uniform!!!

soxpride724
06-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Way to go Gordon!

BleacherBandit
06-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Bacon strong like bull.

SoxGirl4Life
06-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Woohoo! Congrats, Gordon! Stop by sometime, we'll buy you a drink! :gulp:

twinsuck
06-20-2009, 11:40 PM
It's bbbaaacooonnn!!

BigP50
06-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Congrats Mr. Bacon

here's to many more

Rohan
06-21-2009, 01:09 AM
I was clapping in a restaurant and cheering in a restaurant.

esbrechtel
06-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Yeah Bacon! :bandance:

Nellie_Fox
06-21-2009, 01:38 AM
Bacon strong like bull.Uncle Tonoose!
http://povonline.com/images3/tonoose.jpg

thomas35forever
06-21-2009, 01:42 AM
Congratulations, Mr. Gordon Beckham! Here's to many more on the South Side!:tiphat:

BleacherBandit
06-21-2009, 01:59 AM
Uncle Tonoose!
http://povonline.com/images3/tonoose.jpg

Look at it this way--up untill today, Bacon had hit as many homeruns as Hans Conried.

Nellie_Fox
06-21-2009, 02:27 AM
Look at it this way--up untill today, Bacon had hit as many homeruns as Hans Conried.And there are myriad young WSI posters who don't remotely understand the exchange we've just had.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-21-2009, 03:32 AM
And there are myriad young WSI posters who don't remotely understand the exchange we've just had.

...I know better than to question something I don't understand, as I just assume its some highfalutin inside joke known only to those select few who were around when it originated.

I survived algebra class using that reasoning.

Nellie_Fox
06-21-2009, 03:46 AM
...I know better than to question something I don't understand, as I just assume its some highfalutin inside joke known only to those select few who were around when it originated.

I survived algebra class using that reasoning.:thumbsup:

TornLabrum
06-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Look at it this way--up untill today, Bacon had hit as many homeruns as Hans Conried.

Or as my late brother so aptly called him, "The inevitable Hans Conried."

MarySwiss
06-21-2009, 09:58 AM
And there are myriad young WSI posters who don't remotely understand the exchange we've just had.
Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen reruns of The Danny Thomas Show anywhere for years now. It's not like Dick Van Dyke or The Andy Griffith Show that pop up now and then. If it did, then probably some of the younger posters who know who Alan Brady and Barney Fife are would also know who Uncle Tonoose is.

Redus Redux
06-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Even though I'm half hispanic myself, i must point out...

in addition to "bacon" - i believe Ozzie calls Matt Thornton "TorTong"

tacosalbarojas
06-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Bacon should be its/his own food group.

BleacherBandit
06-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Or as my late brother so aptly called him, "The inevitable Hans Conried."

And we all knew that it was inevitable Bacon would hit a homer sooner or later.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen reruns of The Danny Thomas Show anywhere for years now. It's not like Dick Van Dyke or The Andy Griffith Show that pop up now and then. If it did, then probably some of the younger posters who know who Alan Brady and Barney Fife are would also know who Uncle Tonoose is.

That's true. And it's strange, because MeTV broadcasts most of the Desilu shows from that era. After all, The Andy Griffith Show was sort of a spin-off of The Danny Thomas Show.

BleacherBandit
06-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Even though I'm half hispanic myself, i must point out...

in addition to "bacon" - i believe Ozzie calls Matt Thornton "TorTong"

It sounds more like "Torn-ton". I've been calling him that for months.

MarySwiss
06-21-2009, 04:25 PM
And we all knew that it was inevitable Bacon would hit a homer sooner or later.

That's true. And it's strange, because MeTV broadcasts most of the Desilu shows from that era. After all, The Andy Griffith Show was sort of a spin-off of The Danny Thomas Show.
You know, I had forgotten that. And I had also forgotten the memorable appearance of Danny Thomas on The Dick Van Dyke Show, playing the guy from the planet Twylo. One of the weirder DVD (Dick Van Dyke, for you youngsters!) episodes. Also IIRC, Sheldon Leonard, who had a long and successful career playing lovable mobsters, had a hand in all three of those shows.

voodoochile
06-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Beyond the HR, this kid has quietly raised his OBP above .300, his OPS above .600 and is nearing the mendoza line for BA.

If his glove continues to improve at 3B, the Sox will have a left side of the infield that is set for several years.

whitesoxfan
06-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Beyond the HR, this kid has quietly raised his OBP above .300, his OPS above .600 and is nearing the mendoza line for BA.

If his glove continues to improve at 3B, the Sox will have a left side of the infield that is set for several years.

I was never really worried about him. Many of his outs made were hard-hit outs, so it was evident that he wasn't going to be overmatched at this level. Good to see those hits finally falling and he's got a pretty good eye too.

TheVulture
06-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Don't look now, Beckham is 6-18 with 4 BB over the last 5 games.

TDog
06-21-2009, 05:55 PM
I am happy for Beckham. Not only is he beginning to hit, but, really, fans would be calling hm a lot worse if his manager had a severe stuttering problem.

palehozenychicty
06-21-2009, 06:14 PM
It's good to see him getting productive. I knew that the guy would be a player, and he has all of those tools. They just need to get him in the middle infield and he'll really take off. I'd be stunned if he stays at third for his whole career.

DaveFeelsRight
06-21-2009, 06:16 PM
why is he called bacon? did i miss something?

It's Dankerific
06-21-2009, 06:21 PM

Apparently he eats a pound of bacon the morning before every game he plays. Been doing it since high school, when he started performing enough to get a scholarship to Georgia. Why mess with success?

GO BACON!!!

voodoochile
06-21-2009, 06:27 PM

Ozzie's accent makes Beckham sound like Bacon or did at one time...

Apparently he eats a pound of bacon the morning before every game he plays. Been doing it since high school, when he started performing enough to get a scholarship to Georgia. Why mess with success?

GO BACON!!!

:rolling:

Too bad this isn't the case because I'd actually like to see his nickname become Gordito. It's a classic Mexican nickname for short stocky (tending toward fat) guys who also are strong. I think it actually translates as "Little fat guy". So start eating a pound of bacon everyday, Gordito and we can drop the Bacon nickname...

balke
06-21-2009, 09:33 PM
I keep seeing great plays at 3B from him so far. That's really all I'm concerned about for now. I'm really thinking that's the perfect spot for him. Looks like the bat is picking up a bit now though. Could be a fun second half in that respect.

DonnieDarko
06-21-2009, 09:42 PM
I keep seeing great plays at 3B from him so far. That's really all I'm concerned about for now. I'm really thinking that's the perfect spot for him. Looks like the bat is picking up a bit now though. Could be a fun second half in that respect.

Really? I keep seeing him miss balls that he should normally get. Albeit, it's not his natural position, so I can give him some slack. I'm just wondering where these "great" plays are coming from.

Honestly, I would like to see if he can be moved to 2B next season, and if we can get a legit 3B from free agency.

Bucky F. Dent
06-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Had the pleasure of seeing all three games against the Reds.

I like this kid, a ton!

Warriorjan
06-21-2009, 10:05 PM
He needed to catch up to Buehrle in home runs.

voodoochile
06-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Really? I keep seeing him miss balls that he should normally get. Albeit, it's not his natural position, so I can give him some slack. I'm just wondering where these "great" plays are coming from.

Honestly, I would like to see if he can be moved to 2B next season, and if we can get a legit 3B from free agency.

Did you watch today's game? Beckham made three classic 3B charge in and scope plays. He even turned and fired to second to get the lead runner one time. Also one time it was on a bunt and he recognized the bunt attempt before contact was made and charged early to make the play easier.

He seems to struggle going to his right, but is doing well going toward the middle and has been getting more and more adept at the type of play I mentioned above.

voodoochile
06-21-2009, 11:12 PM
He needed to catch up to Buehrle in home runs.

I noticed BA gave him a High-five, but not Getz who was probably pissed that he just hit his first the previous night after 2+ months while Beckham did it in 2 weeks...

Brian26
06-21-2009, 11:15 PM
I like his speed on the basepaths too. He misjudged Wise's double today and was able to overcompensate with his speed to score from 2nd base in a heartbeat.

balke
06-21-2009, 11:24 PM

As weird as it sounds, I think misplays and dumb fundamental mistakes aren't a bad thing for a guy who's learning the position and is now playing it in the majors for the first time.

His reactions, hands, and decision-making skills are what are more important. Cutting down on errors, reading the ball speed on different playing surfaces, and working on making plays to his right or left are going to be easier for him to work on and grow into. He has a strong base from what I've seen so far to play the position.

I don't think he'll be able to make the superstar Crede dive and throws that we know and love, but I think his defense is going to be solid. He's got nothing but upside right now, and maybe someday he can grow into credesque defense. (Although that would be tough for any 3Bman, and shouldn't be expected).

DonnieDarko
06-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Did you watch today's game?Actually, no I didn't. I was forced to watch through Gameday. :|

He seems to struggle going to his right, but is doing well going toward the middle and has been getting more and more adept at the type of play I mentioned above.

That's the thing I've been trying to get at: going to his right and middle. He needs to get much better at that. I'm not expecting (though obviously hoping) for Crede-esque defense at 3B, but something better than what I've seen of him thusfar. Again though, he's got lots of time to improve, so I'm cautiously optimistic.