06-20-2009, 10:22 PM
:bandance:

soxnut1018
06-20-2009, 10:23 PM
That game was WEIRD! But a win is a win :bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

GoGoCrede
06-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Liney not allowing any runs, Wise with two hits, Bacon's first HR...I can't stand it!

Boondock Saint
06-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Very nice to see the hitting pick up the pitching for once.

ChicagoG19
06-20-2009, 10:25 PM
It was ugly indeed, but I will take it.:bandance:

SoxGirl4Life
That game was WEIRD! But a win is a win :bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

I love how the little bliss guy looks like he's running to the edge of the video box.. :lol:

Bucky F. Dent
Four Errors! Bugger Me! Gotta clean that garbage up, immediately!

Don't care what weak-ass division you are in; four errors just plain, win or lose, simply, without question STINKS!

chisoxfanatic
Pin this one up as one of the "it's what you do in the other 42 games that determines how your season will go" games. What a great comeback after trailing 5-0!

The hitting was there, but the fielding wasn't.

Jim Shorts
06-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Odd game to watch. Several guys hit really well tonight.

twinsuck
:WU
WOHOO! A win is a win!

DirtySox
Despite the errors, that was one of the most entertaining games of the year imo.

Soxman219
06-20-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm not going to lie I turned this game off after the Gomes HR. I went to the gym, came back and saw the game was tied. I believed I was bad luck so I changed the channel. Then I got a text saying we were leading 8-5! I didn't watch the game again until right this second. Nice comeback Sox!:bandance:

Even if it was ugly.

SoxGirl4Life
06-20-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm not going to lie I turned this game off after the Gomes HR. I went to the gym, came back and saw the game was tied. I believed I was bad luck so I changed the channel. Then I got a text saying we were leading 8-5! I didn't watch the game again until right this second. Nice comeback Sox!:bandance:

Even if it was ugly.

So its been YOUR fault? lol

soxpride724
06-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Ugly all right, but I will take it!

Soxman219
06-20-2009, 10:29 PM
So its been YOUR fault? lol

Yep, lol.

Konerko05
06-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I posted this in the game day thread about two hours before game time.

Oh, and that might be the worst lineup I've ever seen. I'm predicting an offensive outburst.

voodoochile
06-20-2009, 10:31 PM
That was fun. I agree weird and ugly, but fun... So many heroes. So many potential goats who got picked up by one of the heroes.

Whatever...

:soxwin:

:)

TheAnswer32
06-20-2009, 10:31 PM
That game was awful. I hate errors and home run baseball.

soxnut1018
06-20-2009, 10:32 PM

And you're a Sox fan, how?

voodoochile
06-20-2009, 10:33 PM

What...

Ever...

:rolleyes:

The constant repetitive trollish negativity on these forums is sickening...

chisoxfanatic
06-20-2009, 10:35 PM
that game was awful. I hate errors and home run baseball.
Who cares? WE won!!!

October26
06-20-2009, 10:36 PM
So happy to see Beckham get his first major league homerun and also Alexei have a breakout game! I will agree that the errors are ugly, but the important thing is that the Sox battled back and won the game! :bandance:

SoxGirl4Life
06-20-2009, 10:36 PM

:upsidehead:

We won :tongue:

SoxGirl4Life
06-20-2009, 10:38 PM
So happy to see Beckham get his first major league homerun and also Alexei have a breakout game! I will agree that the errors are ugly, but the important thing is that the Sox battled back and won the game! :bandance:

And the highlight of his first major league homerun will be forever in powder blue.

GoGoCrede
06-20-2009, 10:39 PM
And the highlight of his first major league homerun will be forever in powder blue.

HA! He looked like a Royal.

chisoxfanatic
06-20-2009, 10:40 PM
It's too bad he didn't hit it at Wrigley...He would've been able to keep the ball. :tongue:

Brian26
06-20-2009, 10:40 PM
I dug the '64 road uniforms too.

:winner

TheAnswer32
06-20-2009, 10:41 PM
And you're a Sox fan, how?

What...

Ever...

:rolleyes:

The constant repetitive trollish negativity on these forums is sickening...

Who cares? WE won!!!

:upsidehead:

We won :tongue:

I never said I wasn't happy. I love the result, just not how we got there.

chisoxfanatic
06-20-2009, 10:41 PM

Some throwbacks I do not like; but, those were pretty cool!

Lip Man 1
06-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Even when winning this team makes every game an adventure.

At least the uniforms looked great, throwbacks to part of the "Golden Age" of White Sox baseball (1951-1967). These uniforms looked like the ones the team wore from 1964 through 1967.

During that time period the Sox had fabulous years in 64 and 65, just missing the pennant in 64. They also just missed the pennant in 67 and had a good season in 66.

Those teams won a ton of games with pitching, speed and defense something the Sox of this generation can't seem to do..even when they actually win the game. (apologies to Voodoo, but you're not going to win much making four errors and allowing seven runs.)

Lip

chisoxfanatic
I never said I wasn't happy. I love the result, just not how we got there.
NO game is "awful" when we win.

ode to veeck

Loved the old unis

Jim Shorts
Were they powder blue and navy or black?

mccoydp
I only got to see the ninth inning of this one; my wife and I were at a social event. How did Beckham look?

GoGoCrede
06-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Were they powder blue and navy or black?

Powder blue.

SoxGirl4Life
06-20-2009, 10:44 PM
I only got to see the ninth inning of this one; my wife and I were at a social event. How did Beckham look?

3 run jack, and no errors (I think. There were so many I lost track)

TheAnswer32
Oh, and way to go Wise! Play like that more often (minus the K's)

veeter
The Sox are so weird because, as they are driving us nuts a lot of great things are happening. Gordon Beckham for one, and the incredible re-emergence of Scotty Pods. I'll take this win. Heck yes.

Jim Shorts
06-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Powder blue.

Shoulda been more clear, sorry...what was the secondary color, navy or black?

TheAnswer32
06-20-2009, 10:46 PM

Yes we won, but that game was awful from a baseball perspective.

GoGoCrede
06-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Shoulda been more clear, sorry...what was the secondary color, navy or black?

Oh, sorry! It looks like the secondary color was navy.

SoxGirl4Life
06-20-2009, 10:48 PM
The Sox are so weird because, as they are driving us nuts a lot of great things are happening. Gordon Beckham for one, and the incredible re-emergence of Scotty Pods. I'll take this win. Heck yes.

See, to me, this is what this season was always going to be about. Getting to see the young kids, along with the second year guys as a stepping stone for 2010 and beyond. So far, minus the errors, things are looking good. And I have to believe that the errors will decrease with time and practice. Joey Cora might have a few students in his off-season fielding camp next year! (although, Fields is doing Joey an injustice with his fielding :cower:).

BigP50
that was the ultimate winning ugly game

SoxGirl4Life
Yes we won, but that game was awful from a baseball perspective.

That's why we call it winning ugly.

mccoydp
06-20-2009, 10:58 PM

I'm a big Pods fan. His comeback has truly been a joy to watch.

ode to veeck
06-20-2009, 11:00 PM

Especially with 15 hits, including the bottom of the order

veeter
06-20-2009, 11:02 PM
See, to me, this is what this season was always going to be about. Getting to see the young kids, along with the second year guys as a stepping stone for 2010 and beyond. So far, minus the errors, things are looking good. And I have to believe that the errors will decrease with time and practice. Joey Cora might have a few students in his off-season fielding camp next year! (although, Fields is doing Joey an injustice with his fielding :cower:).Very true, except for veteran guys like Dotel and Linebrink who are maddeningly inconsistent. My Dad and I always talk about replacing guys like those with young guys because at least you know they can, and probably will, get better. Veteran dogs are what they are. But I agree with your post. The young guys are right on track!

voodoochile
06-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Even when winning this team makes every game an adventure.

At least the uniforms looked great, throwbacks to part of the "Golden Age" of White Sox baseball (1951-1967). These uniforms looked like the ones the team wore from 1964 through 1967.

During that time period the Sox had fabulous years in 64 and 65, just missing the pennant in 64. They also just missed the pennant in 67 and had a good season in 66.

Those teams won a ton of games with pitching, speed and defense something the Sox of this generation can't seem to do..even when they actually win the game. (apologies to Voodoo, but you're not going to win much making four errors and allowing seven runs.)

Lip

Never claimed they would, just wish it wasn't all people wanted to talk about when the Sox win. If they had lost 7-6 then I could understand dwelling on the subject, but tonight they overcame it to break a two game losing streak (both of which were tough losses). To me that's a much bigger story than how the things that weren't perfect might have had an impact on a different night. The Sox didn't let it have an impact and even when they let things get close and then the relievers started to falter, they found a way to press forward, score more runs, make some stellar defensive plays and finally get the relievers who are needed most to do their job well enough to clinch the win. None of those things happened in the two recent losses and thus they are the bigger side of the story tonight for a happy go lucky guy like me...

ChiSoxGirl
06-20-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm a big Pods fan. His comeback has truly been a joy to watch.

Absolutely! :nod: The guy's average and OBP just keep climbing!

BigP50
06-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Im actually surprised when Pods doesn't get on base now

Whitesoxfan23
06-20-2009, 11:16 PM
I just got home from a date with my fiancee and the last I checked we were down 5-0 in Bottom of 3rd, and I get to work and check WSI, and I see we won?!?! WOW. *Goes to check score of the game.

LongLiveFisk
06-20-2009, 11:17 PM

Ah, so that's what those were. I thought they looked kind of nice, although I'm not sure the significance of '64 unless it was a Cincy thing (yes, I've been a little out of the loop lately!)

And as far as it being an ugly win, well that may be true but we have had our share of ugly losses. Might as well be on the other side of that coin once in a while. :smile:

hawkjt
06-20-2009, 11:17 PM

As Hawk said, Pods is seeing the ball so well right now..it is wonderful. I know it cannot last forever,just enjoying having a true leadoff man that make the opponents cringe for a change.

Alexei drives you nuts when he does stuff like swinging at that first pitch when Pods had second base stolen...sure, Alexei redeemmed himself with a double but, if he had let pods steal he would have two ribis and the sox have another run in the end...but all that said...Alexei was great tonite and is now on track to knock in 80+ rbis...not bad for a SS.

Gordo's bat is quick...I am expecting good things when he is up now..8 RBI's in his last 6 games....yes!!

DirtySox
06-20-2009, 11:41 PM
So what are the chances that the 1964 jerseys will be available for purchase? I believe the godawfully bland jerseys from last year's game were available.

soxnut1018
06-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Ah, so that's what those were. I thought they looked kind of nice, although I'm not sure the significance of '64 unless it was a Cincy thing (yes, I've been a little out of the loop lately!)

And as far as it being an ugly win, well that may be true but we have had our share of ugly losses. Might as well be on the other side of that coin once in a while. :smile:

The Civil Rights Act was passed in 1964.

ChiSoxGirl
06-21-2009, 12:04 AM

Same here. I was saying to one of my friends the other day that I can't remember the last time he went hitless! Much love to Scotty. :smile:

johnnyg83
06-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Same here. I was saying to one of my friends the other day that I can't remember the last time he went hitless! Much love to Scotty. :smile:

Funny how this game is ... the guy was on the edge of retirement and/or the minors. It may not last, but I can't think of a story where a guy's picked it up so much.

voodoochile
06-21-2009, 12:12 AM

Thursday against the flubbies and then on the 10th prior to that...

thomas35forever
06-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Definitely the ugliest win of the year. I don't think we'll win another game this year where we commit four errors. I'll take this win however. Also, congrats to Beckham on his first ML homer!

esbrechtel
06-21-2009, 01:08 AM

yeah me too...

I can't imagine what if someone bet me in the last offseason that Pods was going to play for the sox and be productive...I would have bet my life savings that there was no chance in hell for that

JB98
06-21-2009, 01:27 AM
That was 3 hours and 40 minutes of baseball artistry, wasn't it? :D:

The Sox outhit their mistakes tonight. Last night when people were complaining about the "home run or nothing" nature of the team, I pointed out that the team really hasn't been hitting that many home runs -- and that I would love to see some runs scored via the long ball.

I'm just glad to see some runs put on the board, no matter the method.

TDog
06-21-2009, 03:03 AM
That was fun. I agree weird and ugly, but fun... So many heroes. So many potential goats who got picked up by one of the heroes.

Whatever...

And at least one apparent goat turning around and being heroes. Fortunately, apparently heroes didn't turn out to be goats.

I was concerned when Guillen only had Richard go three. Guillen was right, of course, because the Sox needed to win the game. But I would love to see the bullpen get some rest.

Fortunately, the Sox starting pitching and defense has been good enough that they haven't given up eight runs often of late. At least two of the players who made errors today won't be in the starting lineup Sunday.

Of course, short of a forfeit to the White Sox sparked by public mayhem, there is no such thing as an ugly White Sox win.

UofCSoxFan
06-21-2009, 03:26 AM
AOf course, short of a forfeit to the White Sox sparked by public mayhem, there is no such thing as an ugly White Sox win.

Amen brother. Winning ugly is still winning.

LITTLE NELL
06-21-2009, 04:45 AM
As Bob Elson used to say; "Remember fans, errors like hits and runs are all part of this great game''.
Lets go on a big winning streak.

wassagstdu
06-21-2009, 06:40 AM
Last night when people were complaining about the "home run or nothing" nature of the team, I pointed out that the team really hasn't been hitting that many home runs -- and that I would love to see some runs scored via the long ball.

The problem with "home run or nothing" is not the home run part, it's the nothing, that we have seen too often. Nothing wrong with winning with the long ball, provided you can also win with small ball, like in Milwaukee. You can't depend exclusively on either one. Duh.

Chicken Dinner
06-21-2009, 10:20 AM
I knew that Masset for Junior trade would come in handy some day. :neener:

palehozenychicty
06-21-2009, 10:45 AM
It was definitely ugly, but we won. Beckham is looking more and more comfortable.

The Reds have an interesting team. They play hard as well.

TDog
06-21-2009, 11:05 AM
The problem with "home run or nothing" is not the home run part, it's the nothing, that we have seen too often. Nothing wrong with winning with the long ball, provided you can also win with small ball, like in Milwaukee. You can't depend exclusively on either one. Duh.

This season, the Sox have been a team built for small ball (especially missing Quentin) that hasn't done that.

Lip Man 1
06-21-2009, 11:38 AM
TDog:

They actually aren't. They don't have any accomplished speed demons, other than Pods, and with his legs he could be out tomorrow.

They don't have a bunch of high average, control type slap hitters either.

Even with the injuries this is still a station to station, swing for the fences team. Most of their hitters are a carbon copy of each other..not a lot of plate discipline, swing hard and hope to hit the ball eight miles.

That's not a "small ball" offense to me. And with so many kids on the team it's not making it easier for them to do anything, regardless of style.

Wassag said it best, it's not one or the other, it's the fact that they have done only one thing consistently this decade, hit home runs, save for 2005. The exception to the rule.

You need to be able to do both styles when you aren't hitting eight run home runs.

If memory serves you don't care for small-ball in any form and that's fine but if you want to be nothing but a power team, then you better hit two or three home runs A GAME or have a bunch of guys who can hit for power AND average like the White Sox of 2000. I don't see any of those type guys on this team. They don't have guys hitting .320 (like Thomas) or .315 (like Ordonez) or .305 (like Lee). I see a bunch of power hitters, hitting .240, .260 by and large.

That won't get it done either.

Lip

ode to veeck
06-21-2009, 11:57 AM
TDog:

They actually aren't. They don't have any accomplished speed demons, other than Pods, and with his legs he could be out tomorrow.

Lip

Actually this is the best baserunning Sox team in years. BA is more than decent on the paths, and Alexi and Getz have just as many thefts as Pods, so youi've currently got 4 players more or less in the everyday lineup right now to help make up for the Paulies and Thomes, etc..

spawn
06-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Actually this is the best baserunning Sox team in years. BA is more than decent on the paths, and Alexi and Getz have just as many thefts as Pods, so youi've currently got 4 players more or less in the everyday lineup right now to help make up for the Paulies and Thomes, etc..
Amen. The only players in the lineup that clog the bases are Dye, THome, and Konerko. I don't count AJ because he's quite possibly the best baserunner we have on the team. You don't need to go station to station with Pods, Alexei, Getz, Beckham, or BA.

JB98
06-21-2009, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. Learn something new everyday.

TDog
06-21-2009, 12:29 PM
TDog:

They don't have a bunch of high average, control type slap hitters either.

Even with the injuries this is still a station to station, swing for the fences team. Most of their hitters are a carbon copy of each other..not a lot of plate discipline, swing hard and hope to hit the ball eight miles.

That's not a "small ball" offense to me. And with so many kids on the team it's not making it easier for them to do anything, regardless of style.

Wassag said it best, it's not one or the other, it's the fact that they have done only one thing consistently this decade, hit home runs, save for 2005. The exception to the rule.

You need to be able to do both styles when you aren't hitting eight run home runs.

If memory serves you don't care for small-ball in any form and that's fine but if you want to be nothing but a power team, then you better hit two or three home runs A GAME or have a bunch of guys who can hit for power AND average like the White Sox of 2000. I don't see any of those type guys on this team. They don't have guys hitting .320 (like Thomas) or .315 (like Ordonez) or .305 (like Lee). I see a bunch of power hitters, hitting .240, .260 by and large.

That won't get it done either.

Lip

They don't have enough home run hitters in the lineup to be an all or nothing offense. You don't have to have speed to be a small-ball team. The hit-and-run isn't about speed. Rather, it's a strategy that used to be employed to make up for a lack of speed.

Ramirez, though, is faster than Podsednik, while Podsednik is a better basestealer. Podsenik was an afterthought for this team.

You can criticize the makeup of the roster, but coming back this season without Crede, without Swisher, to a certain extent without Uribe, the White Sox are moving away from the home-run-or nothing mentality. Swisher would have been the poster boy for home-run-or-nothing with the A's is Jack Cust wasn't his teammate. It would be inaccurate to criticize the organization for perpetuating a home-run-or-nothing philosophy.

One of my problems with the White Sox offense this year is the lack of power, expecially with Quentin out. The 2005 White Sox had much more power and depended a lot more on home runs than this team does. Even in Fields' rookie year, I didn't like him as a hitter. I like him less without the power but still still striking out. You don't have to be trying to hit home runs to strike out.

This year's team isn't home-run or nothing and it has decent speed a the top and bottom of the lineup. It may often be a nothing lineup, but it isn't a home-run-or-nothing lineup.

kitekrazy
06-21-2009, 01:14 PM
This team still can't play defense.

ode to veeck
06-21-2009, 01:26 PM
This team still can't play defense.

I think there's plenty of upside on defense, once the current starting infielders get more accustomed to their positions. Burly mon should give Richard some lessons on fielding the position as a lefty as he does it as good as anyone around.