PDA

View Full Version : Don't look now, but...

thomas35forever
06-20-2009, 03:10 PM
The Cubs and Indians are tied 4-4 going into the bottom of the ninth. There's no way this can happen three days in a row, is there?

JermaineDye05
06-20-2009, 03:25 PM
It's possible. The Indians bullpen is horrendous, the Indians all together are a terrible team.

thomas35forever
06-20-2009, 03:32 PM
On a Cubs programming note, they're playing Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game on MLB Network now. So many empty seats at Wrigley.

thomas35forever
06-20-2009, 03:35 PM
This crowd is so quiet compared to near the end of Thursday's game.

white sox bill
06-20-2009, 05:02 PM
cubs won

Foulke You
06-20-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm sure we'll get more garbage from the local papers about how the Cubs are "turning their season around" thanks to the crosstown series split. They'll be quite disappointed as soon as they drop another three in a row.

white sox bill
06-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Now the media will predict cubs to go 90-0 rest of way

SBSoxFan
06-20-2009, 05:05 PM
cubs won

You're really understating this! Wood blew his second straight save opportunity against the Cubs. This time he gave up 2 runs in the bottom of the 13 to first, blow the save, and then lose the game. The winning run scored on a wild pitch. :rolleyes:

ZombieRob
06-20-2009, 05:17 PM
It's possible. The Indians bullpen is horrendous, the Indians all together are a terrible team.
Yea..true. But the Sox have sucked against them this year.

WhiteSoxOnly
06-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Now the media will predict cubs to go 90-0 rest of way

See what that stiff Linebrink started ? :angry:

Brian26
06-20-2009, 05:26 PM
See what that stiff Linebrink started ? :angry:

This has nothing to do with Linebrink and everything to do with Kerry Wood being a bum. If the Sox could have won that game Thursday, there's no reason these two Kerry Wood meltdowns wouldn't have still occurred.

WhiteSoxOnly
06-20-2009, 05:32 PM
This has nothing to do with Linebrink and everything to do with Kerry Wood being a bum. If the Sox could have won that game Thursday, there's no reason these two Kerry Wood meltdowns wouldn't have still occurred.

Maybe so but...if we just finish the job on Thursday those drips
feel even worse and don't have it in them to come back after
falling behind Injuns yesterday.As for Kerry Wood being a bum
that sounds about right to me.Cleveland lost again after having
a lead so i'm not to bothered about that.

MarySwiss
06-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Maybe so but...if we just finish the job on Thursday those drips
feel even worse and don't have it in them to come back after
falling behind Injuns yesterday.As for Kerry Wood being a bum
that sounds about right to me.Cleveland lost again after having
a lead so i'm not to bothered about that.

Yep! I have a friend who is a diehard Indians fan. Preseason, he was happy that the Tribe had acquired Wood. At that time, I told him not to celebrate too much. I have a bet with my pal: White Sox vs Tribe, who finishes with the better record. Double or nothing following last year's bet.

Could turn out to be an annuity!

JermaineDye05
06-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Yea..true. But the Sox have sucked against them this year.

That just proves that the AL Central is a **** show.

RANDY WILES
06-20-2009, 06:19 PM
If Cleveland's bullpen is horrendous, lets say on a scale of 1 to 10---where do you put ours?

we have better ERA, but I think both bullpens have lost 10 games.

JermaineDye05
06-20-2009, 07:34 PM
I'd say our bullpen is probably the best in the division right now. I don't know where it ranks with the rest of the AL though.

The Immigrant
06-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Everyone knows that firing the hitting coach would make noooo difference, none whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Boondock Saint
06-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Everyone knows that firing the hitting coach would make noooo difference, none whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Right. This "streak" has absolutely nothing to do with the Sox and Indians collective bullpens. They've given up twelve runs in the last three games combined.

It's totally the hitting coach.

kittle42
06-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Wood has done more to help the Cubs in two days than he did in years with them. :D:

DrCrawdad
06-21-2009, 12:57 AM
Wood has done more to help the Cubs in two days than he did in years with them. :D:

*cough* Wood served it up on purpose. *cough*

JB98
06-21-2009, 01:34 AM
The Cubs have won three straight one-run games -- over the 32-36 White Sox and the 29-41 Cleveland Indians.

And their fans and the local media see this as evidence that the team is on its way now. LOL.

The lack of perspective is as hilarious as it is annoying.

Soxman219
06-21-2009, 01:45 AM
This is just an illusion winning streak in my opinion. They have just been facing bad pitchers from the bullpen. Once they face a good team with a good bullpen, they'll get killed.

RadioheadRocks
06-21-2009, 03:16 AM
The Cubs have won three straight one-run games -- over the 32-36 White Sox and the 29-41 Cleveland Indians.

And their fans and the local media see this as evidence that the team is on its way now. LOL.

Blind squirrels find acorns once in a while.

Chicken Dinner
06-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Bad things happen in 3's.

WizardsofOzzie
06-21-2009, 09:47 PM

Oh you should hear some of the people around here. They are celebrating this win streak like they just won the world series, constantly trying to rub it in to my face that the Sox helped "Jump start the Cubs season". REALLY?? It's a short win streak in June....they can't possibly be this dumb, right? It's times like this that I remember why I enjoy their annual late season collapse.

RadioheadRocks
06-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Oh you should hear some of the people around here. They are celebrating this win streak like they just won the world series, constantly trying to rub it in to my face that the Sox helped "Jump start the Cubs season". REALLY?? It's a short win streak in June....they can't possibly be this dumb, right? It's times like this that I remember why I enjoy their annual late season collapse.

All you have to do is tear a couple sheets of scrap paper into confetti, toss them in the air and tell them "Congratulations, here's your parade!"

FielderJones
06-23-2009, 02:47 PM

How'd they like the shutout last night? :rolling:

TommyJohn
06-23-2009, 07:00 PM

It was during streaks like that one that the late Mike Royko would always bust out the "Cub Quiz." He did so to impart his fellow fans with a sense of perspective and to remind them of the legacy of failure.

All-time favorite Cub quiz question: When a home run goes over the wall in left field, what street does it land on?

A: Waveland Avenue, but to hear Jack Brickhouse yell, you'd think it landed in his eye.

WizardsofOzzie
06-23-2009, 10:15 PM
How'd they like the shutout last night? :rolling:
Probably as much as Gregg blowing the save tonight :redneck I'm sure it's just a bump in the road on the way to October glory.

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2009, 10:43 PM
The guy behind me screamed "Cubs lose!" when the scoreboard flashed Gregg's blown save. I told him to turn in his Sox fan card...My god, how on earth could you ever root for a divisional opponent at any time???

DrCrawdad
06-23-2009, 11:26 PM

All's quiet from the WSI Cubbie Defenders.

cws05champ
06-24-2009, 08:55 AM
The guy behind me screamed "Cubs lose!" when the scoreboard flashed Gregg's blown save. I told him to turn in his Sox fan card...My god, how on earth could you ever root for a divisional opponent at any time???
No doubt...I have a hard time rooting for the Cubs, but when you start rooting for the team that is 5 games ahead of you in the division to spite the Cubs, it's ludicrous.

kittle42
06-24-2009, 09:58 AM
All's quiet from the WSI Cubbie Defenders.

**** the Cubs. I want them to win maybe 3-6 times a year, and they can't beat the Twins or the ****ing Tigers.

Railsplitter
06-24-2009, 10:04 AM
I want them to win maybe 3-6 times a year, and they can't beat the Twins or the ****ing Tigers.

And you are surprised by this fact?

There was something satisfying about the Cubs getting ten hits down in Atlanta on not getting any runs.

ChiSoxFan81
06-24-2009, 10:04 AM
**** the Cubs. I want them to win maybe 3-6 times a year, and they can't beat the Twins or the ****ing Tigers.

Haha. You root for the Scrubs 3-6 games a year, and they fail you. Makes you wonder how anyone can stay with them year after year.

chisoxfanatic
06-24-2009, 02:56 PM
No doubt...I have a hard time rooting for the Cubs, but when you start rooting for the team that is 5 games ahead of you in the division to spite the Cubs, it's ludicrous.
The guy even said he didn't care that we lost a game in the standings. He didn't want the Cubs to win. :o:

WizardsofOzzie
06-24-2009, 10:11 PM
I honestly didn't know they were playing the Tigers. I just know they lost because of all the whinny facebook statuses about it.

WhiteSox1989
06-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Cubs prove yet again, how useless they are.

I've been a "fan" for two days, and I'm already sick of them...

DrCrawdad
06-24-2009, 10:36 PM

* The Cubs are one of the best, if not the best, teams in MLB.

* The AL Central is the worst division in MLB.

* The Cubs are so much better than the Sox.

Or so we've been told.

kittle42
06-25-2009, 09:46 AM

Or so we've been told.

They generally have had the same major issue as the Sox this season...if they started hitting, they'd be fine. The pitching hasn't been extremely great, but it's been good enough to garner more wins than they've had.
Both teams are just waiting for their best hitter to come back. The difference is the Cubs will actually get theirs back. Doesn't mean anything will change.

Foulke You
06-25-2009, 10:22 AM

Or so we've been told.
You pretty much summed up my frustrations there Crawdad. This is what you hear on a daily basis. I'm perfectly fine with the media calling us a mediocre team because that is what we are. I'm perfectly fine with the media caling out the AL Central because it really is a weak division this year. However, the Cubs are also a very mediocre team and are also in a weak division but you'd never know it based on the local baseball discussion in the media. The Cubs are essentially the NL's version of the Sox with a higher payroll, older more expensive players, and a weaker bullpen. We both have good starting pitching, we both have injuries to our best hitter, and we both have woeful underachieving offenses. Yet, the Cubs are a "sleeping giant" while the Sox should start thinking about selling off veteran players. I shouldn't be surprised but it is still annoying.

Woofer
06-25-2009, 10:36 AM
You pretty much summed up my frustrations there Crawdad. This is what you hear on a daily basis. I'm perfectly fine with the media calling us a mediocre team because that is what we are. I'm perfectly fine with the media caling out the AL Central because it really is a weak division this year. However, the Cubs are also a very mediocre team and are also in a weak division but you'd never know it based on the local baseball discussion in the media. The Cubs are essentially the NL's version of the Sox with a higher payroll, older more expensive players, and a weaker bullpen. We both have good starting pitching, we both have injuries to our best hitter, and we both have woeful underachieving offenses. Yet, the Cubs are a "sleeping giant" while the Sox should start thinking about selling off veteran players. I shouldn't be surprised but it is still annoying.

I agree Foulke, the only thing we hear about on the so-called flagship is how the Sox will be trading everybody off. The Sox and Cubs so far this year are almost in the same boat record and standing wise. (Right now the Cubs are closer to first, but both teams have underperformed) I have not heard even 1 time that the Cubs will be dumping vets or payroll, though their financial situation might dictate that even more so than the Sox.

I find it very annoying that everytime the Cubs have a 2 or 3 game win streak, you hear the Cubs propaganda machine start to crank up and get louder. Then they lose 3-4 games in a row, and the machine gets quieted down a little. That machine is always there to start making noise, and the noise is always positive. Sox noise is almost negative, witness almost any picture of the Sox in the Tribune. It is usually a picture of someone being tagged out, or making an error, or striking out. You almost never see that type of pic depicting a Cub, unless they are really playing badly. Winning is the only thing that we can do to quiet all this white flag noise down, so keep winning, Sox.

TommyJohn
06-25-2009, 10:49 AM

Just be glad that Greg "Jimmy Olson" Couch is no longer around. Your annoyance would be tripled.

JB98
06-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Linebrink jumpstarted the Cubbies' season!

MarkZ35
06-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Linebrink jumpstarted the Cubbies' season!
Ha ha If that's the case he's jump started a lot of teams this year.

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2009, 06:07 PM
We can now go back to rooting against the Cubs for the rest of the season.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-25-2009, 06:09 PM
We can now go back to rooting against the Cubs for the rest of the season.

Go figure, the few times we want them to win, they lay an egg.

Now watch, they'll sweep us.