PDA

View Full Version : Ramirez and the outside pitch

ndgt10
06-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Ive noticed that teams just throw him sliders off the plate and he has some trouble hitting it. Is it just me? How much longer until he makes the adjustment?

BleacherBandit
06-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Well tonight, the umpire is calling it off of the plate, so he's forced to go after them. I can't speak about the rest of the season.

tm1119
06-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Its clear that the league has adjusted to him and he has yet to adjust back. He's going to need to adjust his swing and develop more plate discipline if he wants to prove that he can ever repeat last years numbers.

flo-B-flo
06-20-2009, 12:08 AM
400 Ab's this season, I'm more concerned about his occasional lapses in baseball judgement....

Lip Man 1
06-20-2009, 12:09 AM
He needs to learn the strike zone, that takes time and frankly some guys never do.

We'll have to see.

Lip

Konerko05
06-20-2009, 12:18 AM
I posted in another thread Alexei is only hitting .209 against RHP pitching this season. He's hitting .390 against LHP.

Last season, he hit .281 against RHP and .312 against LHP.

He is having trouble laying off breaking balls out of the zone from RHP this season. Until he shows he can lay off the pitch, he isn't going to get many fastballs to hit.

He seemed to make adjustments fairly well last season. Now he just looks lost. He doesn't seem as sharp in the field either.

I_Liked_Manuel
06-20-2009, 08:21 AM
He is Juan Uribe with better mechanics, both in the field and at the plate. He approaches the game the exact same way - with no discipline. His slightly-better numbers than Uribe are due to his better mechanics.

Shoeless
06-20-2009, 10:42 AM
He is Juan Uribe with better mechanics, both in the field and at the plate. He approaches the game the exact same way - with no discipline. His slightly-better numbers than Uribe are due to his better mechanics.

It always felt like Juan was swinging for the fences, and Alexei has had the same feel recently, so I'll agree. However, Alexei has a lot more hitting potential then Uribe ever had.

TheVulture
06-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Alexei has hit .286 with .342 OBP the last 28 days, with 9 walks - about a season's worth for Uribe. He must be making some adjustments. He already has as many walks as he had all last year, in half the PA.

TheOldRoman
06-20-2009, 01:46 PM
He needs to learn the strike zone, that takes time and frankly some guys never do.

We'll have to see.

Lip
Well, he is working with the right coach!

Demps2
06-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Alexei is a lot like Soriano hitting wise. He can't hit an off-speed pitch unless someone hangs it. the reason he doesn't put up Soriano's numbers is he doesn't have Soriano's power yet, or maybe ever. However, he can hit a 100 MPH fastball easy. any pitcher (RHP esp.) w/ good off-speed stuff will make him look stupid at the plate. however, he is worlds better defensively than Alfonso.

UChicagoHP
06-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Alexei is a lot like Soriano hitting wise. He can't hit an off-speed pitch unless someone hangs it. the reason he doesn't put up Soriano's numbers is he doesn't have Soriano's power yet, or maybe ever. However, he can hit a 100 MPH fastball easy. any pitcher (RHP esp.) w/ good off-speed stuff will make him look stupid at the plate. however, he is worlds better defensively than Alfonso.

Agreed, Soriano and Ramirez's bat-speed is extremely fast, and it compensates for the absolute lack of patience/plate discipline they display. It usually isn't something a player grows out of, and when the bat-speed slows down, the player doesn't stick around for long.

Shoeless
06-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Agreed, Soriano and Ramirez's bat-speed is extremely fast, and it compensates for the absolute lack of patience/plate discipline they display. It usually isn't something a player grows out of, and when the bat-speed slows down, the player doesn't stick around for long.

I feel like Ramirez one thing Ramirez definitely has is a great respect for his team and his game. In Washington, Soriano gave the Nationals hell when they wanted to move him to the outfield. Alexei clearly wants to play short, but he strikes me as a guy who doesn't want to hot dog, he just wants to win. He's done a lot to get here.