PDA

View Full Version : Tigers extend Leyland through 2011

FloridaTigers
06-19-2009, 04:25 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/06/19/leyland.ap/index.html

Big week for Tigers news?

BleacherBandit
06-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Huh. He was on the ropes since last year, and I guess since the Tigers are in first place, they re-signed him.

In my opinion, they should have waited to see how the team plays the rest of the season since Leyland was on the hot seat previously.

California Sox
06-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Made sense that they resigned him now. Apparently, they just freed up $33 million over the next two years.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Huh. He was on the ropes since last year, and I guess since the Tigers are in first place, they re-signed him.

In my opinion, they should have waited to see how the team plays the rest of the season since Leyland was on the hot seat previously.

Yeah, since they are in first place, they get this out of the way so it's not hanging over his head at all, and he and the front office can focus on baseball. I assume that might be part of their thinking.

Edit: Too bad for us that it won't be distracting to them, haha.

thomas35forever
06-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Good decision by them. Leyland can be a good manager depending on what type of team he has. At least they didn't lock him up for the decade like the Angels did to Scioscia.

palehozenychicty
06-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Good decision by them. Leyland can be a good manager depending on what type of team he has. At least they didn't lock him up for the decade like the Angels did to Scioscia.

Indeed. I think that Scioscia is becoming the latter-day Bobby Cox. The AL West division is weak enough to win annually, but the Angels seem to get exposed come playoff time. He was not very good last year against Boston.