PDA

View Full Version : Maggs Ordonez benched indefinitely

cws05champ
06-19-2009, 08:42 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/tigers-bench-magglio-ordonez-indefinitely.html

Looks like they don't want his $18M option next year to vest in PA or starts. He needs 126 starts or 457 plate appearances in 2009 to vest his option. He has already had 57 starts and 242 plate appearances this yearn 2009. He really only needs to play about 54 more games(assuming 4 AB's a game) to vest.

voodoochile
06-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Guy's with OPS<.700 don't get paid $18M/year...

The Immigrant
06-19-2009, 08:58 AM
This will go over really well with Boras and the Players Association.

Oblong
06-19-2009, 09:01 AM
The conventional wisdom locally is that he's going to be released very soon. The Tigers are just lining up all their ducks for the inevitable grievance that will be filed. That way there's no chance the option years will kick in. He'd be due over $30 million the next 2 years.

This (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/1908894-post72.html) is a good summary of how they can release him without being on the hook for the option years, even if he goes to another team and reaches the requirements.

I'm sad about it because I always liked his demeaner. Always even keel. Obviously his Pennant walk off is a legendary moment but his 2007 season was something special. Best Tiger season Iv'e seen by a player since Trammell's shoulda been MVP year in 1987.

He just doesn't have it this year. His wife had surgery and he left the team briefly for that. Don't know if that's teh cause. He fell fast. Nothing but ground balls.

DumpJerry
06-19-2009, 09:36 AM
He should give this (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cicoted01.shtml) guy a call.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Dump - that's exactly what I thought of too. "I wonder what Eddie Cicotte would do here?"

mantis1212
06-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Dump - that's exactly what I thought of too. "I wonder what Eddie Cicotte would do here?"

Ok, so I don't get it. Can you guys tell me what Eddie Cicotte has to do with Magglio?

eriqjaffe
06-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Ok, so I don't get it. Can you guys tell me what Eddie Cicotte has to do with Magglio?They both left the Sox under less-than-ideal circumstances?

dickallen15
06-19-2009, 10:27 AM
This is exactly the same thing that happened to Frank Thomas in Toronto last year.

sullythered
06-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Ok, so I don't get it. Can you guys tell me what Eddie Cicotte has to do with Magglio?
Cicotte was one win away from a 30 win bonus, and ownership ordered his benching.

areilly
06-19-2009, 10:41 AM
This is exactly the same thing that happened to Frank Thomas in Toronto last year.

Not really. Frank, like Magglio, was a struggling former Sox player who scorched the earth on his way out, but the Jays weren't on the hook for nearly the same money. Also, Frank liked to pout (http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=234740&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main).

Zakath
06-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Maybe they just don't like his hair...

Oblong
06-19-2009, 11:20 AM
But did Cicotte have a very very crappy year, probably his worst as a pro, and play on a team that was pitching hungry?

Maggs has turned into a ground ball singles hitter. Even his hits are bouncers that find a hole. His On Base is higher than his Slugging. Not very good if you are a supposed to be a slugger!

TornLabrum
06-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Cicotte was one win away from a 30 win bonus, and ownership ordered his benching.

Never happened. Read Rich Lindberg's Stealing First to get the true story.

Oblong
06-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I've always wondered... was it pronounced "Sea-Kott", like in Eight Men Out, or "Chi-kot-ey" like I would expect?

Did you know that Cicotte was one of Henry Ford's guys that he used to go after the unions? There's a famous photo of a beat down on the pedestrian bridge where they're trying to break up a union rally and I think he's one of the guys doing the beating.

(I hope I'm not entering into a political thing. I'll edit my sentence.)

thomas35forever
06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
He should give this (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cicoted01.shtml) guy a call.
"This guy here is dead!"

Dub25
06-19-2009, 01:00 PM
"This guy here is dead!"

"well, cross him off."

cards press box
06-19-2009, 01:02 PM
If the Tigers release Mags and if Carlos Quentin has a slow recovery, do the Sox consider bringing Mags back?

eriqjaffe
06-19-2009, 01:14 PM
If the Tigers release Mags and if Carlos Quentin has a slow recovery, do the Sox consider bringing Mags back?Given the bridge burning that occurred when he left town, I highly doubt it.

spawn
06-19-2009, 01:15 PM
If the Tigers release Mags and if Carlos Quentin has a slow recovery, do the Sox consider bringing Mags back?
Two words: Hell...No.

BleacherBandit
06-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Two words: Hell...No.

I think Ozzie hates Magglio more than he does Angel Hernandez.

Rocky Soprano
06-19-2009, 01:29 PM

They reconciled, Ozzie now says he loves Maggs.
When Detroit was in town, Frank and Ventura were around and they all kept hugging each other.

spawn
06-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Even if that were the case, that wouldn't be the issue. I'm sure they would bury whatever disagreements they had. The problem is, Magglio isn't an everyday outfielder, and he's definitely not a leadoff hitter. The last thing this team needs to do is sign another aging, station to station veteran outfielder/DH.

Zisk77
06-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I suspect Maggs & everybodies flavor of the day adrian Beltre may have their name on that 2003 list :o:.

Oblong
06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
and here we go....

Boras is unhappy.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090619/SPORTS0104/906190445/Agent-rips-Tigers-for-benching-Magglio-Ordonez

MarySwiss
06-19-2009, 02:43 PM
and here we go....

Boras is unhappy.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090619/SPORTS0104/906190445/Agent-rips-Tigers-for-benching-Magglio-Ordonez

I'm surprised it took him this long.

TornLabrum
06-19-2009, 03:33 PM
I've always wondered... was it pronounced "Sea-Kott", like in Eight Men Out, or "Chi-kot-ey" like I would expect?

Did you know that Cicotte was one of Henry Ford's guys that he used to go after the unions? There's a famous photo of a beat down on the pedestrian bridge where they're trying to break up a union rally and I think he's one of the guys doing the beating.

(I hope I'm not entering into a political thing. I'll edit my sentence.)

According to Rich Lindberg, it's "sye-kott-ee." (Not sure if that's the exact phonetic spelling he used, but that's how his phonetic spelling ends up being pronounced.)

Nellie_Fox
06-20-2009, 01:22 AM
Cicotte was one win away from a 30 win bonus, and ownership ordered his benching.Or so they said in a movie, so it must be true.

Never happened. Read Rich Lindberg's Stealing First to get the true story.But it was in a movie!

According to Rich Lindberg, it's "sye-kott-ee." (Not sure if that's the exact phonetic spelling he used, but that's how his phonetic spelling ends up being pronounced.)A lot of immigrants "Anglicized" the pronunciation of their names back then, and it tended to carry forward. I always remember Annette Funicello telling how her family prounounced the name "fun-i-SELL-oh" and Walt Disney told her that she should be proud of her heritage and beautiful name, and that it should be pronounced "foo-nih-CHEL-oh."

Maybe an Italian can correct me, but I think the correct pronunciation would be "chee-KO-tay."

doublem23
06-20-2009, 01:56 AM
They reconciled, Ozzie now says he loves Maggs.
When Detroit was in town, Frank and Ventura were around and they all kept hugging each other.

I think a lot of these "feuds" are just overblown media creations. When guys are around each other every day for the better part of 6 months, eventually two guys will rub one another the wrong way and before you know it, they hate each other and its front page news. Add Ozzie's general flair for stuffing his foot in his mouth and you have a recipe for media gold. I'm sure some guys really do hate other MLB players, but I suspect there's a lot more mutual respect and admiration than your friends at the Trib or ESPN want you to believe.

TornLabrum
06-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Maybe an Italian can correct me, but I think the correct pronunciation would be "chee-KO-tay."

Wasn't that the guy in Voyager?

LongLiveFisk
06-20-2009, 08:54 AM

I'm part Italian and I always thought it was pronounced "Chee-KO-tee" or "See-KO-tee". Maybe, as you say, he Anglicized it if he was saying it was "See-kot".

TommyJohn
06-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Or so they said in a movie, so it must be true.

But it was in a movie!

A lot of immigrants "Anglicized" the pronunciation of their names back then, and it tended to carry forward. I always remember Annette Funicello telling how her family prounounced the name "fun-i-SELL-oh" and Walt Disney told her that she should be proud of her heritage and beautiful name, and that it should be pronounced "foo-nih-CHEL-oh."

Ken Burns also said it, so that means it is truer than true. The funny part about it is that Eliot Asinof himself only devotes one single sentence of "Eight Men Out" to allege that Cicotte was benched. "It was said that Comiskey had him benched" is what it says. Yet it has become accepted as Gospel Truth, thanks to Sayles and Burns.

As for Asinof, he can't keep his own story straight. He alleged in the book that it happened once, but then in an interview in 2005 he said it happened twice. Which one is it? The allegation was pretty trashy character assassination on Asinof's part, if you ask me.

A couple of years ago, a transcript of a deposition Cicotte gave to Alfred Austrian offers a very different motive for his taking $10,000. According to this contemporaneous account, Cicotte was discussing with Gandil and someone else rumors that members of the Cubs were paid $10,000 to tank the 1918 World Series. They decided that they could get away with it, too. So it seems that the poor, downtrodden Eddie as played by mushmouthed "I sound like I'm about to break down into heart-wrenching sobs at any moment" David Strathairn is not the true story. It seems that Eddie's motive for losing for $10,000 was a bit baser-Greed. In interviews he gave later in life Cicotte always owned up to what he did, said he was wrong. He never offered any alibis.

Nellie, your comment on Italian pronounciation brings up another thing: I once saw him listed in a book as Italian-American, but later read that that was an error and he was actually French, not Italian.

FarWestChicago
06-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Two words: Hell...No.Three words: Performance Enhancing Drugs.

:nandrolone

I like Maggs!

TommyJohn
06-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Three words: Performance Enhancing Drugs.

:nandrolone

I like Maggs!

Yeah. I now view Maggs the same way I view Sosa-he was dirty.

I_Liked_Manuel
06-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Ken Burns also said it, so that means it is truer than true. The funny part about it is that Eliot Asinof himself only devotes one single sentence of "Eight Men Out" to allege that Cicotte was benched. "It was said that Comiskey had him benched" is what it says. Yet it has become accepted as Gospel Truth, thanks to Sayles and Burns.

As for Asinof, he can't keep his own story straight. He alleged in the book that it happened once, but then in an interview in 2005 he said it happened twice. Which one is it? The allegation was pretty trashy character assassination on Asinof's part, if you ask me.

Asinof's work is not history. I've never understood why it's taken as such.

slavko
06-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Nellie, your comment on Italian pronounciation brings up another thing: I once saw him listed in a book as Italian-American, but later read that that was an error and he was actually French, not Italian.

If French, that would make it "SEA-coat." Italian would mean "chee-COAT-tay." (Hold the double consonant longer.)

Oblong
06-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Magglio came back last night and went 0-2 witha walk. Batting 7th.

Today???? He's cut his hair. Seriously. Now he reminds me of a Sox player.

Dibbs
06-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Magglio came back last night and went 0-2 witha walk. Batting 7th.

Today???? He's cut his hair. Seriously. Now he reminds me of a Sox player.

Finally! What was he thinking? Someone must have played a horrible joke on him and told him it looked good.

WhiteSox1989
06-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Maggs once denied me of an autograph when I was like, 10.

I have never forgiven him.

bridgeportcopper
06-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Oh- eeee-oh
Just went yard against the Cubs!
But, very bittersweet as it's one of these rare occasions that we have to cheer for those douchebags.

Oblong
06-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Naturally you can buy it on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Magglio-Ordonezs-Hair-Skybox-and-bat-for-charity_W0QQitemZ180373227902QQ).

But it's for charity.

Lorenzo Barcelo
06-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Naturally you can buy it on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Magglio-Ordonezs-Hair-Skybox-and-bat-for-charity_W0QQitemZ180373227902QQ).

But it's for charity.

I like how the hair is located in Chicago.:scratch:

slavko
06-25-2009, 05:54 PM
When the hair went up for sale on Ebay, crude oil went down $4 a barrel.

Shoeless
06-27-2009, 07:53 AM
When the hair went up for sale on Ebay, crude oil went down $4 a barrel.

It's too bad his hair didn't wind up in detroit; they could use a good source of income.