PDA

View Full Version : To Bacon or not to Beckham...

BringBackBlkJack
06-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Sweet. I was hoping to see some bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon BACON!!!!!!!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61qUOaRrmjL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

rowand33
06-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Sweet. I was hoping to see some bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon BACON!!!!!!!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61qUOaRrmjL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

What player are we calling bacon?

I assume Beckham.

If so, I want to go on record as saying I really hope that this doesn't catch on.

BringBackBlkJack
06-18-2009, 11:20 AM
If so, I want to go on record as saying I really hope that this doesn't catch on.

Ozzie started it. Unintentionally of course, but still.

Jim Shorts
06-18-2009, 11:28 AM

Disagree. I think it's a great nickname and frankly hope it sticks

Dibbs
06-18-2009, 11:29 AM
What player are we calling bacon?

I assume Beckham.

I don't think it is funny either. A guy with that much potential deserves a cool, clever nickname.

I like the lineup again though.

Marqhead
06-18-2009, 11:31 AM
I don't think it is funny either. A guy with that much potential deserves a cool, clever nickname.

What, you mean something like G-Beck?

Bacon is as original as it comes.

Good lookin' lineup.

voodoochile
06-18-2009, 11:34 AM

How about "The Commissioner" as in Commissioner Gordan?

AJ can be the Joker. Ozzie can be Mush Mouth (wrong comic, but it's my post and I don't care.) We've already got "The Greatest American Hero" but if that fails to catch on, BA can be The Boy Wonder. Thome is of course Mr. Incredible. We still need a Dark Knight AKA Batman, but if TCQ comes back healthy and productive he's probably a shoe in because he's the best bat man the team has had since Frank.

06-18-2009, 11:42 AM
I like Bacon!

http://onewholeclove.typepad.com/one_whole_clove/images/bacon

eriqjaffe
06-18-2009, 11:47 AM
At least he didn't wind up being called "Baked Ham."

ShoelessJoeS
06-18-2009, 11:48 AM
I think bacon is actually very hilarious and original. :shrug:

Mendoza Line
06-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Food related nicknames? Gold, Jerry, Gold! Ozzie Gruyere! Gouda Bacon! Strawberry Fields! Wheat Jerm-aine! the possibilities are endless!

soxinem1
06-18-2009, 12:26 PM

Good lookin' lineup.

Hmmm, Time to bring home the Bacon? Like BeckHAM?

What about.......

Gord-O....

GorBeck?

or GrBeck (How's that for nostalgia)?

Will we have a Gord-O-Meter?

Becks?

My favorite:

BECKHAMMER!!!!

kittle42
06-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Don't we call him Bacon because that's how Ozzie pronounced it once? I have also heard Ozzie call him Beckman.

ChiSoxFan81
06-18-2009, 01:19 PM

Yes, we should ask Chris Berman to bestow a nickname. Like Gordon Back,Back,Back,Back,Back,Backham

Carolina Kenny
06-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I think bacon is actually very hilarious and original. :shrug:

All the best nicknames are original and originate from events, external or internal which are a result of organic events which have flowed naturally.

Otherwise you are nothing better than Chris Berman.

So it's Bacon. Beckham will bring it home.

Jim Shorts
06-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Yes, we should ask Chris Berman to bestow a nickname. Like Gordon Back,Back,Back,Back,Back,Backham

The only thing we should ask of Chris Berman is to retire.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-18-2009, 01:41 PM
OK, so I keep reading about this "Bacon" nickname that is going around for Beckham. Does anyone have a clip of this? I've tried searching for one and have come up empty.

I didn't like the nickname at first but it's starting to grow on me.

ChiSoxFan81
06-18-2009, 01:43 PM
OK, so I keep reading about this "Bacon" nickname that is going around for Beckham. Does anyone have a clip of this? I've tried searching for one and have come up empty.

I didn't like the nickname at first but it's starting to grow on me.

Maybe look up the archive of Mully & Hanley on the day he was called up (or the day of his 1st game). That's when Ozzie was talking about him and said bacon. They kept playing that clip.

daveeym
06-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Hmmm, Time to bring home the Bacon? Like BeckHAM?

What about.......

Gord-O....

GorBeck?

or GrBeck (How's that for nostalgia)?

Will we have a Gord-O-Meter?

Becks?

My favorite:

BECKHAMMER!!!!No no no no no. That's why I like bacon. No more of this name abbreviation or contraction crap. Those aren't nicknames they're baby names when they can't pronounce the name fully.

fugazis
06-18-2009, 01:44 PM
I went out for breakfast this morning and this was my order:

2 scrambled
hashbrowns
3 slices of Beckham

The waitress understood!

VeeckAsInWreck
06-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna search their archives now.

hi im skot
06-18-2009, 01:49 PM

:anon:

Marqhead
06-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna search their archives now.

Let me know if you hit anything, I've been looking for this for a week now.

It's Dankerific
06-18-2009, 02:06 PM
As long as its not Irish Bacon or Canadian Bacon, I'm good with it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3104/3156482099_c240f155f1.jpg

SoxGirl4Life
06-18-2009, 02:16 PM

It's Georgia Bacon. Duh.. lol

DSpivack
06-18-2009, 02:18 PM
It's Georgia Bacon. Duh.. lol

From WaHo?

DonnieDarko
06-18-2009, 02:46 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3104/3156482099_c240f155f1.jpg

...dear God, what IS that? o_O

Sockinchisox
06-18-2009, 02:51 PM
IMO, Bacon is a stupid and annoying nickname. I'm sticking with Gordo.

TheVulture
06-18-2009, 02:53 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/subgenius88/bacon.jpg

thomas35forever
06-18-2009, 02:57 PM
I always look forward to Bacon Thursdays when I'm away at school.:drool:

Britt Burns
06-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Yes, we should ask Chris Berman to bestow a nickname.

Well, if Beckham ever gets traded to Boston or New York then Berman will see him and might just give him a nickname. Until then...

TornLabrum
06-18-2009, 03:29 PM
I've been told that Bacon is at Ozzie's Beckham call. Or is it that Beckham is at Ozzie's Bacon call?

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-18-2009, 03:36 PM
I've been told that Bacon is at Ozzie's Beckham call. Or is it that Beckham is at Ozzie's Bacon call?

Wow.....funny, but wow.

BringBackBlkJack
06-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Ahhh I needed this thread after a long day at work... very funny. It inspired me to update my sig. :redneck

UChicagoHP
06-18-2009, 04:34 PM

Good lookin' lineup.

Agreed...add the Big, ala Big Hurt, and Gordon is all set for the big time endorsement deals with Hormel/etc...

rdwj
06-18-2009, 04:48 PM
I like Bacon - great nickname

PaleHoser
06-18-2009, 04:49 PM
How about Squeez Bacon (http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/squeez-bacon.html)?

TDog
06-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Disagree. I think it's a great nickname and frankly hope it sticks

I don't like it, but the question is whether Beckham likes it. For all I know, he hates it and is too nice to say anything. It may be he wants desperately to play for another organization where he can shake the nickname, much like a child with an embarrassing legacy hopes to move to a new school.

Greg Hibbard used to be "The Little Bulldog" when he pitched for the White Sox. I think Harrelson called him that. When a sportswriter called him "Little Bulldog" after leaving the Sox, Hibbard allegedly (I am getting this second-hand) aggressively told him he isn't The Little Bulldog anymore.

I think it's an awful nickname. But if Beckham is fine with in, who am I to complain?

DirtySox
06-18-2009, 06:09 PM
IMO, Bacon is a stupid and annoying nickname. I'm sticking with Gordo.

Same.

Jim Shorts
06-18-2009, 06:17 PM
I think everyone is looking way too far into a nickname.

BTW, the first rule of nicknames is that you don't give yourself a nickname nor do you approve/disapprove of them.

daveeym
06-18-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't like it, but the question is whether Beckham likes it. For all I know, he hates it and is too nice to say anything. It may be he wants desperately to play for another organization where he can shake the nickname, much like a child with an embarrassing legacy hopes to move to a new school.

Greg Hibbard used to be "The Little Bulldog" when he pitched for the White Sox. I think Harrelson called him that. When a sportswriter called him "Little Bulldog" after leaving the Sox, Hibbard allegedly (I am getting this second-hand) aggressively told him he isn't The Little Bulldog anymore.

I think it's an awful nickname. But if Beckham is fine with in, who am I to complain?First off you don't get to choose your own nickname here, t-bone, or is it Koko. :smile: Second, I don't think his nickname is going to factor in to where Bacon wants to play and if he does go elsewhere he's more than welcome to try to change it since no one elsewhere will get it anyway. Lastly, I doubt he even knows about the budding grass roots effort to nickname him Bacon.

khan
06-18-2009, 06:30 PM
It's come to bestowing nicknames on a kid who hasn't surpassed the Mendoza Line?

I always expected more out of White Sox fans than this...

goon
06-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Gordy.

voodoochile
06-18-2009, 06:42 PM
It's come to bestowing nicknames on a kid who hasn't surpassed the Mendoza Line?

I always expected more out of White Sox fans than this...

Right, because we always evaluate players in their first 12 games by the stats they fail to hang on the board...

Watch a game, Khan. This kid is coming on just fine...

Warriorjan
06-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Gordo or Gordy? that's the best you can do for an alternative to Bacon? Please. At least get some originality. Besides, I heard Ozzie call him bacon today on a radio clip, I can't remember if it was on the post-game show (ugh) or where. If it's not to be Bacon, something else will come up. The player has no say in this, IMO. I seem to remember that Fisk didn't like Pudge and wanted to be called the Commander, but just yesterday he was referred to as Pudge.
BTW, I did enjoy the post with all the food-related nicknames.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-18-2009, 07:19 PM
OK, if you were like me and you never heard Ozzie say bacon. Here you go.

http://podcast.670thescore.com/wscr2/1779610.mp3

You can hear it in the first few seconds, but you can hear it more starting at the 4:23 mark.

KRS1
06-18-2009, 07:23 PM
I personally think the bacon nickname that someone keeps trying to push is crap. Yarf.

Marqhead
06-18-2009, 07:36 PM
OK, if you were like me and you never heard Ozzie say bacon. Here you go.

http://podcast.670thescore.com/wscr2/1779610.mp3

You can hear it in the first few seconds, but you can hear it more starting at the 4:23 mark.

Thank you sir!

TDog
06-18-2009, 07:37 PM
First off you don't get to choose your own nickname here, t-bone, or is it Koko. :smile: Second, I don't think his nickname is going to factor in to where Bacon wants to play and if he does go elsewhere he's more than welcome to try to change it since no one elsewhere will get it anyway. Lastly, I doubt he even knows about the budding grass roots effort to nickname him Bacon.

Of course, Magglio Ordonez reportedly hated being called "Maggs," and he left town given the opportunity.

Bacon really is an awful nickname, awful enough to justify my hyperbole. If you're in the first grade, transfer to a new school and the principal calls you "Bacon" on the first day, indeed it might stick, because you don't get to pick your own nicknames.* That doesn't make its use appropriate. When I was going to school, a really smart, good-baseball-playing kid named Jarzombek came to the school. When the teacher called his name for the first time, another kid said the new kid was a zombie, generating laughter and giving him a nickname I know he didn't like. I had another really good friend who didn't like being called Veterinarian, and I never called him that after he said he didn't like it.

I hope Beckham has a great career with the White Sox. I would love to see him succeed and enjoy playing on the South Side of Chicago. I would do everything I could to make him feel comfortable. I know calling him Bacon affectionately doesn't compare with the things Jackie Robinson, Henry Aaron or Dick Allen were called in some of the places they played. But I don't think it's a good nickname at all. I don't think it's one that treats him with respect. I would cringe if I saw Bacon banners at the ballpark. And if Chris Berman had coined it (such as Ron "Ma and Pa" Kittle), people here would hate it.

Fortunately, I don't have to hear any Bacon stuff. I only have to read the nickname at WSI, and most probably think I'm taking this too seriously.

*I got the Seinfeld reference, but about a quarter of a century before it was created, Philip Roth's "The Great American Novel" has a more appropriate reference. Roth has a character on a dismal baseball team who tries so persistently to give him self a nickname that his teammates end up calling him "Nickname."

Viva Medias B's
06-18-2009, 09:15 PM
:facepalm:

Mmmmmm...bacon.

[Sorry, only pic of Homer I could find.]

Viva Medias B's
06-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Of course, Magglio Ordonez reportedly hated being called "Maggs," and he left town given the opportunity.

Damn you, Hawk.

cws05champ
06-18-2009, 11:58 PM
How about Koko the monkey?

daveeym
06-19-2009, 07:56 AM

Bacon really is an awful nickname, awful enough to justify my hyperbole. If you're in the first grade, transfer to a new school and the principal calls you "Bacon" on the first day, indeed it might stick, because you don't get to pick your own nicknames.* That doesn't make its use appropriate. When I was going to school, a really smart, good-baseball-playing kid named Jarzombek came to the school. When the teacher called his name for the first time, another kid said the new kid was a zombie, generating laughter and giving him a nickname I know he didn't like. I had another really good friend who didn't like being called Veterinarian, and I never called him that after he said he didn't like it.

I hope Beckham has a great career with the White Sox. I would love to see him succeed and enjoy playing on the South Side of Chicago. I would do everything I could to make him feel comfortable. I know calling him Bacon affectionately doesn't compare with the things Jackie Robinson, Henry Aaron or Dick Allen were called in some of the places they played. But I don't think it's a good nickname at all. I don't think it's one that treats him with respect. I would cringe if I saw Bacon banners at the ballpark. And if Chris Berman had coined it (such as Ron "Ma and Pa" Kittle), people here would hate it.

Fortunately, I don't have to hear any Bacon stuff. I only have to read the nickname at WSI, and most probably think I'm taking this too seriously.

*I got the Seinfeld reference, but about a quarter of a century before it was created, Philip Roth's "The Great American Novel" has a more appropriate reference. Roth has a character on a dismal baseball team who tries so persistently to give him self a nickname that his teammates end up calling him "Nickname."
Ok out with it already. You're a vegetarian aren't you?:smile:

rowand33
06-19-2009, 11:07 AM

It's one of the worst nicknames I've ever heard.

How about we just call him "Beckham"?

khan
06-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Right, because we always evaluate players in their first 12 games by the stats they fail to hang on the board...
Thank you for agreeing with me. Why are we so eager to come up with a nickname for Beckham, anyway? Maybe he already has one. Or maybe he doesn't like nicknames. Why not let his career play out more than 12 games before coming up with something this dumb?

As an aside, nick-naming a guy based off Guillen's accent/English being his second language kind of strikes me as lame.

Watch a game, Khan. This kid is coming on just fine...
Indeed. Believe me, I see many games; If you are in fact in North Carolina, I'm guessing that I see more games in person than you do. But feel free to carry on.

MisterB
06-19-2009, 01:49 PM
:facepalm:

Mmmmmm...bacon.

[Sorry, only pic of Homer I could find.]

I believe you want this one...

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Science/Images/drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

voodoochile
06-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Thank you for agreeing with me. Why are we so eager to come up with a nickname for Beckham, anyway? Maybe he already has one. Or maybe he doesn't like nicknames. Why not let his career play out more than 12 games before coming up with something this dumb?

As an aside, nick-naming a guy based off Guillen's accent/English being his second language kind of strikes me as lame.

Indeed. Believe me, I see many games; If you are in fact in North Carolina, I'm guessing that I see more games in person than you do. But feel free to carry on.
MLB.TV is a wonderful thing...

Dibbs
06-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I am glad there are many anti-Baconites like myself. It's not fun, it's not funny. It is an awful nickname. Making fun of Ozzie is one thing, but actually calling him bacon is, well, dumb.

Besides, it is not his nickname anyway. It is just a few posters here that call him that.

pmck003
06-19-2009, 03:21 PM
I support Bacon. Just for comparison, here is the wikipedia list of nicknames:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_baseball_nicknames

Bacon is alot better than old tomato face

Gabby Hartnett (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabby_Hartnett), Charles Leo Hartnett (1922-41): “Gabby” or “Old Tomato Face”

PorkChopExpress
06-19-2009, 03:27 PM
I am glad there are many anti-Baconites like myself. It's not fun, it's not funny. It is an awful nickname. Making fun of Ozzie is one thing, but actually calling him bacon is, well, dumb.

Besides, it is not his nickname anyway. It is just a few posters here that call him that.

Some radio personalities refer to him as Bacon. In fact they mentioned it to AJ during an interview and explained it, and AJ said, "that's great," in a tone that lead me to believe he liked it, or at least he thought it would be great to torture Beckham with, which is how some nicknames get started.

In my opinion, nicknames are supposed to just flow from something in that individual's life/career, and are not supposed to be intentionally created. And shortened versions of their actual name does not count as a true nickname, i.e., Gordo, Becks, etc. Not everyone gets a nickname, and not everyone likes the nickname they get, but that's just the way it is. If Bacon sticks, so be it.

kittle42
06-19-2009, 03:28 PM
If Bacon sticks, so be it.

Or get a no-stick pan! :cool:

khan
06-19-2009, 03:29 PM
MLB.TV is a wonderful thing...

And going to beautiful U.S. Cellular Field is even nicer. You can catch parts of the game that the camera ignores, without having the annoucer(s) color your view on the game.

Either way, this suggestion of a nickname is at best half-baked, and is more likely, just dumb. Particularly at this point in Beckham's career.

mantis1212
06-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm a fan of bacon, limited to this board and sports radio because its just funny how Ozzie says it.

If his true nickname ends up being Bacon, that's probably kind of lame.

KenBerryGrab
06-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Let's get the Bacon sizzling.

It'll stick.

Shoeless
06-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Let's get the Bacon sizzling.

It'll stick.

That just makes me think of the nickname for former Illini shooting guard Jamar Smith: The Microwave.

Rev up the Microwave! :redneck

TheVulture
06-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I personally think the bacon nickname that someone keeps trying to push is crap. Yarf.

How about A Baconator?

http://abaconator.ytmnd.com/

TornLabrum
06-19-2009, 04:30 PM
And going to beautiful U.S. Cellular Field is even nicer. You can catch parts of the game that the camera ignores, without having the annoucer(s) color your view on the game.

Either way, this suggestion of a nickname is at best half-baked, and is more likely, just dumb. Particularly at this point in Beckham's career.

See, there's your problem. You don't bake bacon (despite its pronunciation), you fry it. :redneck

DonnieDarko
06-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Bacon! :d:

Jim Shorts
06-19-2009, 04:57 PM
I hope the Great Bacon Debate of 09 gets to 100 posts.

This is ridiculously awesome

White City
06-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Why would Gordon be ashamed of being called Bacon? One of the great political philosophers of all time.

cbone
06-19-2009, 05:02 PM
See, there's your problem. You don't bake bacon (despite its pronunciation), you fry it. :redneck

On the contrary putting bacon in the oven is awesome. I learned this from my friend who was thereafter nicknamed "Straight Bacon" because it came out so perfect. If that can stick who knows about Beckham/Bacon . :gulp:

06-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Some of you think Bacon will leave the first chance he gets if we call him Bacon????????

DSpivack
06-19-2009, 05:11 PM
On the contrary putting bacon in the oven is awesome. I learned this from my friend who was thereafter nicknamed "Straight Bacon" because it came out so perfect. If that can stick who knows about Beckham/Bacon . :gulp:

I tried to do that this morning. I somehow screwed it up, kept checking it, it wasn't done, forgot about it, and completely burned it. Oh well.

What that bodes for Gordon tonight, I haven't a clue.

ode to veeck
06-19-2009, 05:15 PM
This thread is possibly the dumbest ever in the history of the Clubhouse

Jim Shorts
06-19-2009, 05:17 PM
This thread is possibly the dumbest ever in the history of the Clubhouse

I know. Isn't it great?

Big D
06-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Some of you think Bacon will leave the first chance he gets if we call him Bacon????????

I heard he's already demanded a trade because of it.

mantis1212
06-19-2009, 05:28 PM

Yes! Actually, bacon can be cooked almost any way- I prefer the Foreman Grill. (I just had to contribute to this thread again):gulp:

TDog
06-19-2009, 05:42 PM
... In fact they mentioned it to AJ during an interview and explained it, and AJ said, "that's great," in a tone that lead me to believe he liked it, or at least he thought it would be great to torture Beckham with, which is how some nicknames get started.

Being tortured with the name Bacon wouldn't be the worst thing Beckham has to put up with from the veterans. I don't know what's going on this year, but in the past, rookies have been made to wear dresses and carry lunch boxes.

ShoelessJoeS
06-19-2009, 05:59 PM
:threadrules:

cards press box
06-19-2009, 06:05 PM
The only thing we should ask of Chris Berman is to retire.

After listening to Berman call game #3 of the White Sox/Boston series in 2005, I couldn't imagine anyone anyone doing a bigger parody of Berman than the one Berman was essentially doing of himself in that broadcast.

DSpivack
06-19-2009, 06:12 PM
After listening to Berman call game #3 of the White Sox/Boston series in 2005, I couldn't imagine anyone anyone doing a bigger parody of Berman than the one Berman was essentially doing of himself in that broadcast.

I'm watching US Open coverage on ESPN right now before going to a movie tonight. He's almost as bad as he is for baseball.

"Ground control to David Toms!"

Ugh.

Jim Shorts
06-19-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm watching US Open coverage on ESPN right now before going to a movie tonight. He's almost as bad as he is for baseball.

Ugh.

Thought exactly the same thing

MarySwiss
06-19-2009, 06:41 PM

Ugh.

Thanks for sharing, DSpivak! :D:

Berman is just another in the endless series of sportscasters that make me wonder *** they ever did to merit their jobs.

TornLabrum
06-19-2009, 11:34 PM
This thread leads me to one important question: How much bacon would Beckham bake if Beckham could bake bacon?

voodoochile
06-20-2009, 12:03 AM
This thread leads me to one important question: How much bacon would Beckham bake if Beckham could bake bacon?

He'd bake as much bacon as a Beckham can if a Beckham can bake bacon...

Hope that answers your question...

skobabe8
06-20-2009, 12:37 AM
This will blow everyone's mind:

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2007/08/chris-berman-bacon-lover-no-way.html

Chris Berman + Bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!

DSpivack
06-20-2009, 01:10 AM
I tried to do that this morning. I somehow screwed it up, kept checking it, it wasn't done, forgot about it, and completely burned it. Oh well.

What that bodes for Gordon tonight, I haven't a clue.

Well, considering the result of the Sox game and Beckham's o-fer tonight, the above is certainly not a surprise.

TornLabrum
06-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Well, considering the result of the Sox game and Beckham's o-fer tonight, the above is certainly not a surprise.

So Beckham failed to bring home the bacon....or did Bacon fail to bring home the Beckham?

DSpivack
06-20-2009, 10:16 AM
So Beckham failed to bring home the bacon....or did Bacon fail to bring home the Beckham?

Yes.