PDA

View Full Version : 500 sellouts in a row and counting

Fenway
06-17-2009, 09:18 PM
The Boston Red Sox tonite had their 500th straight sellout at Fenway Park.The streak dates to May 15, 2003. The attendance over the span was about 18 million, and the Red Sox had a record of 326-173 over the first 499 games heading into Wednesday. The old record for sellouts was 455 straight games, set by the Indians in ending in 2001.

This is a record that may never be topped.

MarySwiss
06-17-2009, 09:23 PM
The Boston Red Sox tonite had their 500th straight sellout at Fenway Park.The streak dates to May 15, 2003. The attendance over the span was about 18 million, and the Red Sox had a record of 326-173 over the first 499 games heading into Wednesday. The old record for sellouts was 455 straight games, set by the Indians in ending in 2001.

This is a record that may never be topped.

:party:

Sorry, Fens. But c'mon!

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Only 4 stadiums in MLB have a smaller capacity, so I call this "sellout streak" OVERRATED!

Railsplitter
06-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Only 4 stadiums in MLB have a smaller capacity

Which ones?

peelwonder
06-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Only 4 stadiums in MLB have a smaller capacity, so I call this "sellout streak" OVERRATED!

I think Fenway is the smallest.

Fenway
06-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Mary they gave everybody a free hot dog and coke tonight :party:

I think Oakland is the smallest now with the upper deck closed and Fenway may have more seats than PNC now with the new roof seats

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Which ones?
I think Fenway is the smallest.
Oakland, Florida, Tampa, Pittsburgh.

kittle42
06-17-2009, 09:49 PM
500 straight games where a stadium was packed with idiots.

Brian26
06-17-2009, 09:52 PM
:party:

Sorry, Fens. But c'mon!

Name another fanbase that's going to sell out its park for over six straight years, come rain or shine.

Kudos to the BoSox fans.

Fenway
06-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Name another fanbase that's going to sell out its park for over six straight years, come rain or shine.

Kudos to the BoSox fans.

And with no promotions or discount tickets :tongue:

They have one promotion all year which is magnetic schedules on opening day

samurai_sox
06-17-2009, 10:15 PM

Kudos to the BoSox fans.

Don't you mean Boston Bandwagon Nation?

SOXfnNlansing
06-17-2009, 10:16 PM
:whocares

Brian26
06-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Don't you mean Boston Bandwagon Nation?

Yeah, because the Red Sox hardly drew any fans in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s.

Tampa Bay fans last year were bandwagon fans. I'd never classify Red Sox fans as that.

Marqhead
06-17-2009, 10:26 PM

:o:

Might never be broken? Puh-lease. It's only 40 some games over the previous record which was set a whopping 8 years before this record.

CHISOXFAN13
06-17-2009, 10:44 PM

Might never be broken? Puh-lease. It's only 40 some games over the previous record which was set a whopping 8 years before this record.

I don't see this streak ending any time soon.

Marqhead
06-17-2009, 10:48 PM
I don't see this streak ending any time soon.

Soon and never are very different time frames.

EDIT: But, I agree it wont happen for a while.

Brian26
06-17-2009, 10:49 PM

Cleveland was a perfect storm, getting a new ballpark at the same time as their team would become the best in the American League and would then rattle off six out of seven division titles, including two World Series.

Like I said, name the team or the fanbase that's going to break the record.

The only shot at it might be the Cubs if they ever get a new stadium and make a run at a title at the same time.

Marqhead
06-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Cleveland was a perfect storm, getting a new ballpark at the same time as their team would become the best in the American League and would then rattle off six out of seven division titles, including two World Series.

Like I said, name the team or the fanbase that's going to break the record.

The only shot at it might be the Cubs if they ever get a new stadium and make a run at a title at the same time.

I guess my point is that if it can happen in Cleveland of all places, it can happen somewhere else.

A new stadium, a loyal fanbase, good economic times and a solid team are the key elements. "Never" is a long time.

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2009, 11:12 PM

Tampa Bay fans last year were bandwagon fans. I'd never classify Red Sox fans as that.
With all due respect, Brian, it's much easier to fill one of the smallest ballparks in baseball...and even easier because they play in the "beloved" Fenway Park, home of America's "beloved" Red Sox Nation.

skobabe8
06-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Pretty impressive, even though I despise the Boston fans when they are in town. Easily the most obnoxious.

Fenway may be one of the smallest, but it's always over 100% capacity. You can't honestly believe they wouldnt still be selling out if they had an average sized MLB stadium.

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Pretty impressive, even though I despise the Boston fans when they are in town. Easily the most obnoxious.

Fenway may be one of the smallest, but it's always over 100% capacity. You can't honestly believe they wouldnt still be selling out if they had an average sized MLB stadium.
I didn't know Fenway had standing room. Where one earth is their standing room?

doublem23
06-17-2009, 11:21 PM

They'd be selling out 90%+ of their games, but 500 in a row? I don't know...

LITTLE NELL
06-18-2009, 05:48 AM
What else is there to do in Boston?
They have a long way to go as far as sellouts go, the Maple Leafs have sold out every game since World War II.

ewokpelts
06-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Fenway has increased capacity every year since new ownership took over. They can pack in as much as wrigley now.

eriqjaffe
06-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Here you go.

http://catalog.thelearningstationonline.com/images/edu/big/Z/T_74007.gif

Tragg
06-18-2009, 09:43 AM

Of course Boston is also on a run with numerous playoff appearances and 2 world titles over that period; no new park, but Fenway is one of those "shrines" that only a killjoy wouldn't "love". They've always had a national following of a sort, and I'm sure the ticket brokers buy up a sizeable amount of tickets. Nothing to detract from the record - it obviously takes winning and wide sales.

As for cleveland, they (and Toronto) should be the poster boy for the folly of dismantling your team. The attendance (and I would assume revenue) went with it.

cws05champ
06-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Fenway has increased capacity every year since new ownership took over. They can pack in as much as wrigley now.
A loyal fan base, yes, but they also have the same advantage as the Cubs:
1) Having a stadium that is "Historic" to get tourists in.
2) National Media exposure constantly.
3) Smaller stadium, and a circus like atmosphere around the ballpark with restaurants, bars and the like.
When I was at Fenway last year I couldn't believe how similar the setup and atmosphere was around there compared to Wrigley. It get the fans that normally would not be interested in baseball around the park and at the games because it's hip to do it.
4) They only have one team compared to Chicago with two. If the White Sox were the only game in town and played in Wrigley(god forbid) you don't think Chicago fans would pack the stadium for their one and only team?

Impressive streak of sellouts, yes, but they have lots of advantages other teams don't.

palehozenychicty
06-18-2009, 09:49 AM
A loyal fan base, yes, but they also have the same advantage as the Cubs:
1) Having a stadium that is "Historic" to get tourists in.
2) National Media exposure constantly.
3) Smaller stadium, and a circus like atmosphere around the ballpark with restaurants, bars and the like.
When I was at Fenway last year I couldn't believe how similar the setup and atmosphere was around there compared to Wrigley. It get the fans that normally would not be interested in baseball around the park and at the games because it's hip to do it.
4) They only have one team compared to Chicago with two. If the White Sox were the only game in town and played in Wrigley(god forbid) you don't think Chicago fans would pack the stadium for their one and only team?

Impressive streak of sellouts, yes, but they have lots of advantages other teams don't.

Indeed. A friend of mine that grew up in East Boston remembers in 1995, you could walk up, get tickets at the box office, and sit behind third base easily. Then again, they weren't nearly as good either.

palehozenychicty
06-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Here you go.

http://catalog.thelearningstationonline.com/images/edu/big/Z/T_74007.gif

This is hilah-rious.

I think that this sticker should be made with the Cubs logo on it, since they always talk about it.

Johnny Mostil
06-18-2009, 11:18 AM
A bit of an apples and oranges comparison, I admit, but if the Cardinals--who play in a metropolitan area with about two-thirds the population that of the Boston area--played in a park as small as Fenway, they might be closing in on their 1,000th consecutive sellout. Average attendance for the Cards has been more than 35K in the past 12 seasons (including this one to date), and more than 40K in seven of those seasons.

Jim Shorts
06-18-2009, 11:40 AM

Here's the thing...Boston will keep this going. It ain't going to stop at 500.

peelwonder
06-18-2009, 11:49 AM
A bit of an apples and oranges comparison, I admit, but if the Cardinals--who play in a metropolitan area with about two-thirds the population that of the Boston area--played in a park as small as Fenway, they might be closing in on their 1,000th consecutive sellout. Average attendance for the Cards has been more than 35K in the past 12 seasons (including this one to date), and more than 40K in seven of those seasons.

St. Louis is a much better baseball town than Boston. It seems to me that most of the Boston fans are Johnny come lately. I saw a game on ESPN classic from the 90's where the seats at fenway in right were completely empty.

cws05champ
06-18-2009, 11:52 AM
St. Louis is a much better baseball town than Boston. It seems to me that most of the Boston fans are Johnny come lately. I saw a game on ESPN classic from the 90's where the seats at fenway in right were completely empty.
Same thing that happened to the Cubs in the mid 80's....now it's revisionist history that it has Always been a Cubs town and they were always this popular. The power of ESPN at it's best.

Marqhead
06-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Here's the thing...Boston will keep this going. It ain't going to stop at 500.

Oh no doubt. But the previous record was set 8 years ago. By Cleveland.

It'll happen again.

Jim Shorts
06-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Fenway can thank ESPN. It's like their own little WGN.

areilly
06-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Oh no doubt. But the previous record was set 8 years ago. By Cleveland.

It'll happen again.

The third sentence above is exactly why I agree with you on the fourth. No disrespect to the Sixth City but if Cleveland can do it, anybody can do it.

Fenway
06-18-2009, 01:11 PM

When you are dealing with where baseball draws fans from you need to look at this table

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Combined_Statistical_Areas

This is how TV markets are set up

Boston is 7,476,689
St Louis is 2,866,517

Look what Milwaukee is doing with 1,739,497

the Boston total does include Providence just 45 miles away

Fenway has without question some of the WORST seats in all of baseball as Sections 4-8 are just terrible

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp

Lip Man 1
06-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Brian:

You do realize that the Red Sox drew atrociously before 1967 don't you?

Go to retrosheet and look up some of the attendance totals for things like opening day in the 1960's. You'll see a bunch of 12 thousand, 18 thousand and so forth.

In fact they were a horrible draw for most of the 1960's.

Lip

Johnny Mostil
06-18-2009, 01:23 PM
When you are dealing with where baseball draws fans from you need to look at this table

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Combined_Statistical_Areas

This is how TV markets are set up

Boston is 7,476,689
St Louis is 2,866,517

Look what Milwaukee is doing with 1,739,497

the Boston total does include Providence just 45 miles away

Fenway has without question some of the WORST seats in all of baseball as Sections 4-8 are just terrible

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp

When dealing with Census Bureau statistics, I prefer to deal with the Census Bureau itself, including, for example, tables posted to http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/CBSA-est2008-annual.html, rather than the glorified search engine known as Wikipedia.

I'll defer to your knowledge of television markets.

I am curious whether anybody has defined and researched "baseball markets." For example, Cincinnati is one of the smaller metropolitan areas (and, I assume, television markets) in Major League Baseball, but, I assume, draws fans from Columbus, Indianapolis, and Louisville, not to mention (as I know from family experience) many rural fans outside any metropolitan area or large television market. I'm sure several (most?) other teams do the same.

Fenway
06-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Brian:

You do realize that the Red Sox drew atrociously before 1967 don't you?

Go to retrosheet and look up some of the attendance totals for things like opening day in the 1960's. You'll see a bunch of 12 thousand, 18 thousand and so forth.

In fact they were a horrible draw for most of the 1960's.

Lip

as were the Yankees Lip especially after Shea opened

Fenway
06-18-2009, 01:29 PM
When dealing with Census Bureau statistics, I prefer to deal with the Census Bureau itself, including, for example, tables posted to http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/CBSA-est2008-annual.html, rather than the glorified search engine known as Wikipedia.

I'll defer to your knowledge of television markets.

I am curious whether anybody has defined and researched "baseball markets." For example, Cincinnati is one of the smaller metropolitan areas (and, I assume, television markets) in Major League Baseball, but, I assume, draws fans from Columbus, Indianapolis, and Louisville, not to mention (as I know from family experience) many rural fans outside any metropolitan area or large television market. I'm sure several (most?) other teams do the same.

Milwaukee is easiest the smallest market with a lake to the east, Chicago to the south, a lot of trees north of Green Bay and after Madison you start getting into the Twins area

ewokpelts
06-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Again, capacity is BIGGER now than it was in 03. they can fit in 38k BEFORE sro tix are sold. most teams dont average 30k a game.

and two world championships and playoff berths in all but one year of this run help.

trust me, if the white sox won two world titles and played in the playoffs5 out of 6 years, reaching the alcs in four of them, they would be adding seats in the park.

skobabe8
06-18-2009, 04:57 PM
I didn't know Fenway had standing room. Where one earth is their standing room?

Not sure. I'v enever been there. But according to ESPN's attendance records, through 31 home games this year they have averaged 37,833. That is 101.6% capacity.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Lip Man 1
06-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Fenway:

Not debating the Yankees are we?..the fact is this "myth" about the Red Sox and their "extraordinary fans" is simply that...a myth made up by the media... in particular the Eastern Sports Programming Network.

The Red Sox franchise was a disaster in the 1960's and for some years in the 1970's as well and the fans simply didn't show up. "Great" fans eh?

Lip

PatK
06-18-2009, 06:08 PM
In other news, the record for consecutive sellouts to *******s was broken.