06-17-2009, 05:05 PM
t66uuDdpwaU

soxnut1018
Our pitching is AWESOME right now! :bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

soltrain21
If Danks is coming around and Jose keeps up what he is doing then there is hope for this team.

3-4 runs a game is fine if our pitchers are only giving up 1-2.

kittle42
06-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Hey, Chicago, whaddya say? The Cubs still ****ing suck to-day!

It's Dankerific
Brian in, SOX WIN!!!

Red Barchetta
Holy Cow! This win almost seemed like 2005! I love the small ball, bunting and clutch hitting on top of great pitching.

Model this game!!!!!

:smile:

Boondock Saint
Best all-around game so far this year.

BleacherBandit
Jenks was throwing heat. Don't know what everybody's argument is...

veeter
06-17-2009, 05:07 PM
John is coming around and looks great. Ozzie was spectacular today. Alexei's dumb play is annoying, but overall the team looks great. Nice Win!!!!

thomas35forever
Woot! That was awesome! The Cubs still have the best tradition in baseball though.:bandance::bliss::wooty:

hi im skot
Still worried about Jenks, Rohan?

october23sp
http://www.wwe.com/content/media/touts/splash/images/2907418
Suck it Cubs.

VeeckAsInWreck

People love to bitch for no reason. I think Jenks has been fine. No closer is perfect.

Otherwise, great game today for us.

Rohan
Hey, Chicago, whaddya say? The Cubs still ****ing suck to-day!
:woo-woo

Woo!

soxfan21
06-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Great win today, nice to see everyone executing plays.

Zakath
Need a performance like that from Gavin tomorrow.

October26
I loved hearing the Let's go White Sox chant (on the radio) at the end of the game. Fabulous! Great win! :bandance:

TDog
When you have pitching and defense, and pitching and defense immediately following your only defensive lapse, four runs is plenty.

Today the White Sox had one more hit with runners in scoring position than the Cubs, and they didn't even need it, especially because it would have brought home the run even if Podsednik had been thrown out on the play.

Frankie5Angels
06-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Great game today. Ozzie managed his best game of the year. This is the type of baseball I like to see. If they play like this the rest of the year, this team takes this division easy!!!:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

WhiteSoxFTW
06-17-2009, 05:09 PM

MLB Gameday shows his top speed as 96. All of his fastballs between 93-96mph.

Rohan
06-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Still worried about Jenks, Rohan?

I'd just like more consistency :smile:.

I'd still take Bobby Jenks over many other relievers in baseball.

You're all used to dealing with people arguing extremes. I'm not arguing that Jenks' is trash that needs to be taken out. Just that as of late he hasn't been as sharp as a guy with his stuff should be.

daveeym
06-17-2009, 05:10 PM

You're all used to dealing with people arguing extreme's. I'm not arguing that Jenks' is trash that needs to be taken out. Just that as of late he hasn't been as sharp as a guy with his stuff should be.:o: I know you took it back and all but you said in the gamethread that he needed to go down to the minors.:rolleyes:

WhiteSoxFTW
06-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Best all-around game so far this year.

It was a very well-pitched game, and we came up with some small-ball runs, but we will still 1-10 with RISP.

34 Inch Stick
Bring out the brooms tomorrow...and I do not care about the official interpretation.

twsoxfan5
Nice job Danks. A Sox win in a day game against the Cubs makes my office a much more pleasant place.

JohnnyInnsbrook
http://www.wwe.com/content/media/touts/splash/images/2907418
Suck it Cubs.
:gulp: Best post ever

THIS GAME IS OVAH!!!!! YES !!!! YELL YES!!!!!

DirtySox
Looks like I missed a good one. Looking forward to when it's archived. :)

thomas35forever
That L flag looks awesome! I think this thread calls for one.
http://i.dailyherald.com/stories/78/normal/78528.jpg

Rohan
06-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Lou Piniella is depressed. He's either depressed or he's losing brain cells FAST.

DSpivack

You're all used to dealing with people arguing extremes. I'm not arguing that Jenks' is trash that needs to be taken out. Just that as of late he hasn't been as sharp as a guy with his stuff should be.

No closer is perfect, and Jenks is a good but not great closer. The more he gets, the better he'll be, too. Hard to stay consistent when you're not pitching often.

BleacherBandit

I got 99 as the top speed from the T.V.

PatK
06-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Reading the play-by-play on the Tribune's website is hilarious.

Mostly how overly-dramatic Dan McGrath is.

DSpivack
Lou Piniella is depressed. He's either depressed or he's losing brain cells FAST.

Yes. :tongue:

EuroSox35
I'm an Ozzie hater but I'm glad he didn't pinch hit for Danks like he did in a similar situation last year when it cost us the game. It was nice to win, but we didn't play that well. Bad infield defense (when are we moving Beckham to SS and Alexei back to 2B? More than just errors these guys seem to make a mistake a game), and some bad situational hitting during the game, luckily Danks was great to overcome it.

voodoochile
Some interesting and fun calls today.

Suicide squeeze? Check.

Hit and Run go the opposite way for the hit behind the runner? Check.

Successful sacrifice? Check.

Fake the sacrifice and have the pitcher chop one toward the vacated SS hole when the flubbies have the wheel play on? Check. Heck of a play by Guzman or the Sox blow the game open there.

Nice solid win all around. Flubbies are struggling you have to beat the teams that are struggling...

Go Cardinals, get us to 3 back...

:soxwin:

:)

soltrain21
06-17-2009, 05:14 PM
And I think Piniella has just started collecting a paycheck judging by his post game stuff thus far.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-17-2009, 05:14 PM

He's been very reserved lately. You can tell he is out of answers on how to turn the Cub's offense around.

thomas35forever
06-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Who saw Lou's press conference? He looked like he was at a loss for words. I love it.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-17-2009, 05:16 PM
I got 99 as the top speed from the T.V.

I don't know. I would probably trust the computerized thing on Gameday. It's pretty damn sophisticated.

Dibbs
06-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Great game!

There was a group of "Sox Fan" posters who were vigorously fighting in defense of the Cubs about how they were clearly better than the White Sox. They put up a better fight than most Cub fans I know. Do you all still feel that way?

TDog
06-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Great game today. Ozzie managed his best game of the year. This is the type of baseball I like to see. If they play like this the rest of the year, this team takes this division easy!!!:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

I thought Guillen did a great job of managing Sunday, when the White Sox won without Buehrle pitching exceptionally well. These last two games have shown him to be a very good game manager.

Of course, the suicide squeeze doesn't make the manager look good if the hitter misses the sign or doesn't get his bat on the ball.

The Sox executed some today, especially on defense, which is where you win games.

RedHeadPaleHoser
It's a win - gets us closer to .500 and it helps us gain ground (or keep ground) in the division.

Station to station baseball. Let's do it again tomorrow.

Chez
Who saw Lou's press conference? He looked like he was at a loss for words. I love it.

Not much you can say or do when your team isn't hitting. Sox fans should know the feeling.

russ99
He's been very reserved lately. You can tell he is out of answers on how to turn the Cub's offense around.

I don't get it. His big hitters struck out on good pitches today. Can't lay everything on the offense.

As for the Sox, nice smallball by Ozzie today, I'd like to see more of that even outside of NL parks with the wind blowing in.

Beckham did fine. It's the first time playing on that awful Wrigley infield and he played the ball like on a normal infield. No need to worry about that SS/2B switch, plus Getz is hitting the ball pretty well and is no slouch defensively.

Rohan
:o: I know you took it back and all but you said in the gamethread that he needed to go down to the minors.:rolleyes:

Don't misquote me. I said I wouldn't mind Bobby Jenks pulling a Contreras. That is taking the initiative to take some time off to get his control back and become completely consistent. I would rather have a consistent closer than someone who is hit or miss.

What people were saying is that, yeah he has been inconsistent. But he hasn't been bad. He's good enough. With that logic he doesn't NEED to improve anything. Well, with this team, good enough isn't always enough. Especially from our highest paid reliever.

I took that comment back entirely because I don't want to short hand our bullpen. Making Thornton closer would move Linebrink into the setup spot which i'm even more uneasy about.

october23sp
When are they making up yesterdays game? Or will it be like the Tigers game of last year and be marked as an "if necessary".

Woofer
06-17-2009, 05:18 PM
This was a great win today. The Cubbie fans here at work are strangely quiet today. I think that June swoon feeling is starting to sink in with them.

Danks has looked great of late, and the team plays better National League ball than American League ball lately. I know we are still under .500, but winning feels pretty good.

SoxGirl4Life
06-17-2009, 05:19 PM
And their only run was on a ground out. :D:

TDog

I thought firing the hitting coach that coached the National League's best offense last year in favor of a former, fired White Sox hitting coach was the answer.

russ99
When are they making up yesterdays game? Or will it be like the Tigers game of last year and be marked as an "if necessary".

That would be an insane "playoff" make-up game. But seriously, I can't see anything in the weather report as to why a DH couldn't happen today or tomorrow.

More like the Cubs don't want to lose the revenue of a Cubs-Sox day game.

BainesHOF
Great all-around execution by many today led by Danks and Ozzie. This seemed like the easiest win of the season. It appeared just about effortless.

Frankie5Angels
I thought Guillen did a great job of managing Sunday, when the White Sox won without Buehrle pitching exceptionally well. These last two games have shown him to be a very good game manager.

Of course, the suicide squeeze doesn't make the manager look good if the hitter misses the sign or doesn't get his bat on the ball.

The Sox executed some today, especially on defense, which is where you win games.
The only problem today I have is with Bacon. If he isn't gonna be able to field the 3b position you have to send him back down. If he isn't hitting or fielding, there is no need for him to be here, and I am probably one of his biggest supporters.

WhiteSoxFTW

Sept. 3 or Sept. 10 I heard.

soltrain21
06-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Great game!

There was a group of "Sox Fan" posters who were vigorously fighting in defense of the Cubs about how they were clearly better than the White Sox. They put up a better fight than most Cub fans I know. Do you all still feel that way?

I would say one game is a fairly small sample size. It's pretty apparent both teams have holes.

guillensdisciple
06-17-2009, 05:20 PM
I loved the execution by the Sox today, and I love the fact that we get closer to .500 and the Tigers. The White Sox are still in this thing, whether some people admit it or not.

We have to be patient, because the White Sox will find a way in the end. Just wait and see.

soltrain21
06-17-2009, 05:21 PM
The only problem today I have is with Bacon. If he isn't gonna be able to field the 3b position you have to send him back down. If he isn't hitting or fielding, there is no need for him to be here, and I am probably one of his biggest supporters.

He made one error?

TDog

I would love to see that (unless it's necessary for the Sox to win a day after the season in Wrigley), but with the Cubs' focus on attendance, I'm sure it will be made up. The Cubs don't lose dates if they can help it.

Rohan
That would be an insane "playoff" make-up game. But seriously, I can't see anything in the weather report as to why a DH couldn't happen today or tomorrow.

More like the Cubs don't want to lose the revenue of a Cubs-Sox day game.

The Cubs wouldn't do a double header because they have something like 23 straight days with games. Having a doubleheader at the beginning of a 23 day stretch like that can be hard on the bull pen.

kittle42
06-17-2009, 05:22 PM

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/hourbyhour/graph/60613?begHour=10&begDay=169&from=hrly_graph

thomas35forever
If that were to happen, imagine the bloodbath in the stands as everything unfolded.:o:

Boondock Saint

He's better than anything we've got at 3B, the arbitration clock has already started on him, and he'd been crushing the ball in AA. There's little point to sending him back down now. If he's got lumps to take, he can take them up here.

FielderJones
06-17-2009, 05:23 PM

That's funny. CBS Sports was showing his fastballs at 96-97 consistently.

russ99
06-17-2009, 05:23 PM
He made one error?

One error plus a gimme hit by the scorekeeper that should have been an error. I didn't see a real misplay other than the one time he tried to move over instead of going for a backhand.

Most of that can be attributed to Wrigley's bad infield. They have super-tall grass, then soft dirt, then hardscrabble pack (with rocks) in the back. It takes time to adjust to it.

Sargeant79
06-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Don't misquote me. I said I wouldn't mind Bobby Jenks pulling a Contreras. That is taking the initiative to take some time off to get his control back and become completely consistent. I would rather have a consistent closer than someone who is hit or miss.

What people were saying is that, yeah he has been inconsistent. But he hasn't been bad. He's good enough. With that logic he doesn't NEED to improve anything. Well, with this team, good enough isn't always enough. Especially from our highest paid reliever.

I took that comment back entirely because I don't want to short hand our bullpen. Making Thornton closer would move Linebrink into the setup spot which i'm even more uneasy about.

?!?!?!

I didn't read the gamethread, but dude, c'mon... 2/3 of the teams in baseball would kill to have Jenks closing for them. He's not perfect...no pitcher is. But to suggest he has anything that needs to be worked out in anything more than a bullpen session is ridiculous.

Frankie5Angels
He's better than anything we've got at 3B, the arbitration clock has already started on him, and he'd been crushing the ball in AA. There's little point to sending him back down now. If he's got lumps to take, he can take them up here.
I disagree. If he can't field the position and he isn't hitting what is the point of him being here? What is he contributing? It's one bad game, I know that. I am just saying if his defense conitnues like it was today, he has to be sent down. His error didn't hurt today, we got lucky.

DSpivack
One error plus a gimme hit by the scorekeeper that should have been an error. I didn't see a real misplay other than the one time he tried to move over instead of going for a backhand.

Most of that can be attributed to Wrigley's bad infield. They have super-tall grass, then soft dirt, then hardscrabble pack (with rocks) in the back. It takes time to adjust to it.

The brand new one installed in the offseason by Roger Bossard?

SoxGirl4Life
If that were to happen, imagine the bloodbath in the stands as everything unfolded.:o:

Or if it only meant something to us or them.

Gavin
06-17-2009, 05:25 PM
No walks = wins

Railsplitter
06-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Break out the L flag! :bandance:

Boondock Saint
I disagree. If he can't field the position and he isn't hitting what is the point of him being here? What is he contributing? It's one bad game, I know that. I am just saying if his defense conitnues like it was today, he has to be sent down. His error didn't hurt today, we got lucky.

Who do you want to replace him? Again, he's better than anyone we've got to play 3B.

russ99
The brand new one installed in the offseason by Roger Bossard?

As I recall, that was the outfield and drainage system. If anything has been done to the infield, I'd be surprised.

He had some nice at-bats too, I see progress despite the iffy numbers. Would you guys rather see Fields butcher the position?

Soxman219
06-17-2009, 05:27 PM
It always feels good to beat the :nocubs.

But more importantly, we move up in the standings.

Danks is a BOSS!

:bandance:

DSpivack
06-17-2009, 05:28 PM
As I recall, that was the outfield and drainage system. If anything has been done to the infield, I'd be surprised.

He had some nice at-bats too, I see progress despite the iffy numbers. Would you guys rather see Fields butcher the position?

Ahh, okay. I guess I just assumed he replaced the whole field.

TDog
06-17-2009, 05:28 PM

I don't believe it's a matter of Beckham not being able to play third. To the contrary, I believe he is the best option at third base the Sox have in their system. He isn't the hitter Fields is, although he has more potential.

Third base defense is so important to the Sox with the sort of pitchers they have that Beckham is here to stay, short of the Sox picking up a strong defensive third baseman in trade. And I don't see that happening.

Frankie5Angels
06-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Who do you want to replace him? Again, he's better than anyone we've got to play 3B.
It depends, if we play like this the rest of the year, KW will have to make a move and find someone. But, like I said before, today was a bad day for him, if he plays like he has been playing defense at t 3rd before today, I am fine with him. If he is gonna look like he did today, I don't want him playing 3rd.

daveeym
06-17-2009, 05:29 PM

Didn't the sodfather just redo Wrigley's field? It shouldn't be all that bad if that's the case.

Frankie5Angels
06-17-2009, 05:31 PM
3.5 out, with Detroit yet to play tonight. Unbelievable.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-17-2009, 05:33 PM
That's funny. CBS Sports was showing his fastballs at 96-97 consistently.

I'd assume there are different radar guns clocking for different media outlets then? Maybe Ranger could shed some light on this. I'll say something in the thread that they were debating Jenk's speed.

I'd still bet the Gameday speed as the most accurate. They show release speed and the slower speed when it crosses the plate. They also show the inches the pitch breaks. It's pretty nice.

kobo
06-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Didn't the sodfather just redo Wrigley's field? It shouldn't be all that bad if that's the case.
Pretty sure they did the entire field, not just outfield and drainage.

Rohan
06-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Does anyone know where i can find Kenny Williams quote on White Sox fans tired of being seen as fans of a second class team?

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Woot! That was awesome! The Cubs still have the best tradition in baseball though.:bandance::bliss::wooty:
It was nice seeing that Cub fan throwing back Alexei's HR ball in the 1st...There are traditions...and there are Cub fan traditions.
It looked like Lou had just attended a funeral.
Some interesting and fun calls today.

Suicide squeeze? Check.

Hit and Run go the opposite way for the hit behind the runner? Check.

Successful sacrifice? Check.

Fake the sacrifice and have the pitcher chop one toward the vacated SS hole when the flubbies have the wheel play on? Check. Heck of a play by Guzman or the Sox blow the game open there.

Nice solid win all around. Flubbies are struggling you have to beat the teams that are struggling...

Go Cardinals, get us to 3 back...

:soxwin:

:)
You forgot ONE major thing, voodoo:

BA makes two outstanding game-changing catches in CF? CHECK.

kobo
Pretty sure they did the entire field, not just outfield and drainage.
This article has quotes from Bossard on what was done. They did redo the infield as well as the outfield and drainage. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071116&content_id=2301854&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

kevingrt
Beautiful win and we can sweep tomorrow.

thomas35forever
06-17-2009, 05:43 PM
It was nice seeing that Cub fan throwing back Alexei's HR ball in the 1st...There are traditions...and there are Cub fan traditions.
Is it a hassle? I don't know. Is sucking a hassle?

Rohan
06-17-2009, 05:45 PM
What is ozzie wearing on his head? A "Plush" hat.. What is that?

SoxGirl4Life
06-17-2009, 05:45 PM
:roflmao:

Soxman219
06-17-2009, 05:46 PM

LOL!:tongue:

soxjim
06-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Lou sure looked depressed at the press conference. Now let's build on this win and keep up any momentum that we have.

chisoxfanatic
:rolling:

BigP50
Sox win sox win sox win.

WSox597
06-17-2009, 05:53 PM
I heard Alexei's homerun was in the basket. I LOVE when opposing teams hit balls into the basket.

The Cubs make a living hitting balls into those stinking baskets, so it's cool when it backfires on them.

Piniella looks like he's about to retire for "health reasons". Face it Lou, you just can't buck 101 years of tradition.

JB98
06-17-2009, 05:53 PM
That's three wins in row now. I would love to see the Sox sustain this type of play and put together six or seven consecutive wins. Lack of consistency has been an issue all year. Now would be a great time to put it together.

Danks was just outstanding today. A well-deserved win for him.

Zisk77
06-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Great game. As far as jenks throughing 99 or 93-96, who cares. he was throwing hard. Evidenced by the 1-0 fb right down the middle to D. lee when he knew he was getting heat, and shanked it over the 1b dugout. Bobby can reach back and get 100 if he needs it (see game 163). He has realized for his longevity that it is wiser to pick his spot.

JB98
06-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Great game. As far as jenks throughing 99 or 93-96, who cares. he was throwing hard. Evidenced by the 1-0 fb right down the middle to D. lee when he knew he was getting heat, and shanked it over the 1b dugout. Bobby can reach back and get 100 if he needs it (see game 163). He has realized for his longevity that it is wiser to pick his spot.

Velocity has never been Jenks' key anyway. It's all about location and movement - and the ability to get a breaking ball over.

Frankly, Bobby hasn't had a good breaking ball this year, but he's gotten outs by sinking and cutting his fastball.

doublem23
06-17-2009, 06:18 PM
We're awesome. They suck.

voodoochile
06-17-2009, 06:21 PM

Sox rule, flubs drool?

Tragg
06-17-2009, 06:22 PM
:cheers:

Big D
06-17-2009, 06:23 PM
I don't know which team will finish with the better record this year, but I'll sure take our future over the Cubs' future. They've got virtually nothing in their minor league system other than Vitters, and they've got so much money tied up long-term in guys like Soriano that they're not going to be able to add pieces in the future. It's hard to believe Soriano still has 5 years left on his contract.

doublem23
06-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Sox rule, flubs drool?

Something like that. :)

Hoping for a classic Zambrano meltdown tomorrow, going to my first game at the Shrine in something like 8 years.

SoxSpeed22
06-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Great job by Danks. He's figuring out how to utilize that changeup. Good small ball successfully gets our runs. Maybe that's why we do better on the road, because we swing for the fences less.

Tragg
06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
To state the obvious: If we get starting pitching, we'll win games. We won't win many slugfests though.

doublem23
06-17-2009, 06:32 PM
To state the obvious: If we get starting pitching, we'll win games. We won't win many slugfests though.

It was still nice to get some production from the bottom of the order. With Konerko and Dye battling some nagging injuries and Thome benched (thanks, National League) we're going to need more runs and hits from Anderson, Getz, and Beckham.

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2009, 06:33 PM

Hoping for a classic Zambrano meltdown tomorrow, going to my first game at the Shrine in something like 8 years.
You be careful over there, doub. Don't get hit by a flying beer cup or anything! :cool:

Tragg
06-17-2009, 06:46 PM
It was still nice to get some production from the bottom of the order. With Konerko and Dye battling some nagging injuries and Thome benched (thanks, National League) we're going to need more runs and hits from Anderson, Getz, and Beckham. They've been picking up some slack over the last few games. 2 of the 3 are rookies.
Beckham is gonna rake. I think Getz will settle in as a satisfactory hitter. Anderson will be good enough for a 9 hole hitter as long as he keeps his D up.
I wish Alexei would get it together. I haven't seen him swing enough to judge, but I assume that they're just thowing him nothing but trash and he's swinging at all of it.

Rohan
06-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Don't look now. But we've won three straight!

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2009, 06:54 PM
I wish Alexei would get it together. I haven't seen him swing enough to judge, but I assume that they're just thowing him nothing but trash and he's swinging at all of it.
I think he's in a true Sophomore slump here. He does seem to swing at a lot of things way out of the strike zone. It can be nauseating.

MarySwiss
06-17-2009, 06:54 PM

You be careful over there, doub. Don't get hit by a flying beer cup or anything! :cool:

How's this for a meltdown scenario, doub? Scoreless tie through eight. Zambrano pitching a no-hitter. Getz hits a shallow fly ball to right field. However, Bradley lost track of who was batting and is playing on the warning track. Ball drops in, takes a Bossard bounce, rolls into the corner, and Getz has an inside-the-park home run.

That oughta do it!!:D:

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2009, 06:57 PM
How's this for a meltdown scenario, doub? Scoreless tie through eight. Zambrano pitching a no-hitter. Getz hits a shallow fly ball to right field. However, Bradley lost track of who was batting and is playing on the warning track. Ball drops in, takes a Bossard bounce, rolls into the corner, and Getz has an inside-the-park home run.

Either that, or it could get stuck in the ivy, and Bradley forgets the ground rules at Wrigley and fights to get the ball out of the ivy instead of throwing his hands up. Getz is able to get around the bases right when Bradley dislodges the ball from the ivy. :wink:

ChicagoG19
06-17-2009, 06:57 PM
I was able to catch the first four innings of today's game and thoroughly enjoyed them. Seeing the score at the end of the game was just icing on the cake. Sox win! Go Cardinals.:bandance::bandance::bandance:

hawkjt
06-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Todays hitters were Pods,Alexei,Getz,BA,and Beckham,along with a hit and run caused single by PK. JD,PK and AJ only produced one hit...a cheapie..so I am tipping the hat to the ''other''guys today.

The cubs have big money tied up in Soriano,Bradley and Fukadome..none who are hitting much. good for them:D: Even Lee is not as productive as PK these days.

I am very pleased with Johnny Danks grit out there today. If he makes a mistake or two he could have let them right back in the game. He had to pitch over Beckhams error and some bloop hits by bradley. It was a great day for a pitcher to shut them down with that wind. BA made two big plays behind him also.

Tomorrow,Big Z will be amped up, the wind will be bout the same, so scratching out a few runs early could be big. I like Gavin on the mound tho, as he is a fly ball pitcher and I doubt the wind will alllow much again tomorrow. Alexei's early homer took a lot of pressure off the Sox and Johnny today...whoever scores first usually wins on low run days...do it again tomorrow Pods,Alexei and co.
Beckham is swinging pretty well now, his last ab he hit a bullet out to left that was caught but he is going with the pitch well lately. Keep him out there.

It's Dankerific
06-17-2009, 06:59 PM
You forgot ONE major thing, voodoo:

BA makes two outstanding game-changing catches in CF? CHECK.

Imagine, BA missing his DAP.

He's on base twice, scores what ends up being the winning run and is saving XBH and runs in CF.

Again, it doesnt matter if you score one or keep the other team from scoring run, it all helps the team.

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Imagine, BA missing his DAP.

He's on base twice, scores what ends up being the winning run and is saving XBH and runs in CF.

Again, it doesnt matter if you score one or keep the other team from scoring run, it all helps the team.
Not everyone has the same determination that BA possesses to climb the hill of being underrated.

UChicagoHP
06-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Woot woot! One down, five to go.

BigP50
06-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Scotty Pods has been great for this team, today 2-4 RBI and a sac bunt

wassagstdu
06-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I love the suicide squeeze! It makes the opposition look helpless. And the idea that the "solo shot" White Sox, of all teams, finally have it in their book can't help but keep the other teams off balance a little.

SoxFan1979
06-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Hello from Juarez, Mexico. Just heard the news and what great news it is!

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Windy City
06-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Gotta give props to Danks for a great start today. The guy is a bulldog on the hill even though he rammed up my team's rump. I have been telling people the last year that Danks is the ace of the White Sox. I know he has some shaky starts here and there, but he pitches his butt off and his stuff is solid.

ZombieRob
06-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Pods very well may be comeback player of the year in the A.L.

markopat
06-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Ozzie was spectacular today and Lou was non-existent.........Hide the Gatorade Dispensers tomorrow...Let's light em up!

YES!

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Shoeless
06-17-2009, 08:42 PM

+1

Great win today!

slavko
06-17-2009, 08:52 PM

I hope it's not a reaction time problem, but what I saw today is not the makings of a MLB 3B.

I think he's in a true Sophomore slump here. He does seem to swing at a lot of things way out of the strike zone. It can be nauseating.

I'd never throw him anything but sliders off the plate. No fastballs.

Scotty Pods has been great for this team, today 2-4 RBI and a sac bunt

He has a special offensive skill. Talk about a resurrection. He even looks steadier in the field than 2005. BTW, the Cubs Reed Johnson was also a scrapheap pickup.

Gotta give props to Danks for a great start today. The guy is a bulldog on the hill even though he rammed up my team's rump. I have been telling people the last year that Danks is the ace of the White Sox. I know he has some shaky starts here and there, but he pitches his butt off and his stuff is solid.

Same kind of stuff as Buehele, but better when he's right. I called him the "ace" last year, right now not so sure.

Isn't it a pleasure to see some fast guys in black and gray running the bases, making things happen? The BA catches were nice, but a MLB CF must make those catches, as much as I like BA. Note on Kasper/Brenly on the PK hit-and-run: They never mentioned the words hit-and-run. Oversight or ignorance?

MarySwiss
06-17-2009, 08:55 PM

Either that, or it could get stuck in the ivy, and Bradley forgets the ground rules at Wrigley and fights to get the ball out of the ivy instead of throwing his hands up. Getz is able to get around the bases right when Bradley dislodges the ball from the ivy. :wink:

Oooo, I like that better, Heather! It has such a nice "only at Wrigley" ring to it! :cool:

Lip Man 1
06-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Very nice, especially the Ozzie-Ball.

Lip

johnnyg83
06-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Danks change-up is phenomenal when it's on .. and it was on today.

And Pods? ***. Where we'd be without this guy is scary to think about. And big handshakes to BA for two great plays and some good ABs today.

TheVulture
06-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Damn! I forgot to put Danks in my fantasy lineup for today after he missed the start yesterday!

A. Cavatica
06-17-2009, 09:40 PM

Don't forget Contreras.

ZombieRob
06-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Don't forget Contreras.
We'll see. I won't pass judgement until at least 3 more starts. Pods has been a HUGE catalyst for this team since he's been back.

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Don't forget Contreras.
I would think his struggles in the early goings of the season wouldn't be helpful for him.

BigP50
06-17-2009, 09:52 PM
I love how Pods steps forward when he bats so he can hit it before it breaks

Zakath
06-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Could end up being a very good day for the Sox, as everyone else in the AL Central is currently losing.

BadBobbyJenks
06-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Why is anyone posting in this thread?
:scratch:
This series sucks.

doublem23
06-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Could end up being a very good day for the Sox, as everyone else in the AL Central is currently losing.

31-34 and somehow, right in the thick of things.

Shoeless
06-17-2009, 10:28 PM
This series sucks.

:tealtutor:

right??

Zakath
06-17-2009, 10:28 PM
31-34 and somehow, right in the thick of things.

Well, at this point, except for the Orioles, A's, Nationals, and the teams in the NL West not named the Dodgers, everyone's still kind of in the thick of it.

Marqhead
06-17-2009, 10:33 PM
:tealtutor:

right??

That should go without saying.

KMcMahon817
06-17-2009, 10:57 PM

HAHAHAHA...changed your mind awfully quickly there frankie. You crack me up.:rolleyes:

guillensdisciple
06-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Um, guys, we are only three games behind. Anyone think the year is over?

GoGoCrede
06-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Um, guys, we are only three games behind. Anyone think the year is over?

If MacDougal can get a save against the Yankees, anything is possible. :bandance: Our pitching is much better than it was this time last month.

palehozenychicty
06-17-2009, 11:12 PM

He's playing out of position. He's a shortstop. HELLO?!

People here seem to think that anyone can play anywhere. As someone mentioned the other day, he has way too much range and too slow of reaction time for third base. Nix could play third, but he's not a starter, so what you see is what you get, unless they move Getz and push Ramirez back to second.

TDog
06-17-2009, 11:24 PM

People here seem to think that anyone can play anywhere. As someone mentioned the other day, he has way too much range and too slow of reaction time for third base. Nix could play third, but he's not a starter, so what you see is what you get, unless they move Getz and push Ramirez back to second.

If Beckham is a shortstop or a second baseman, he is a minor league shortstop or second baseman. He isn't up because he can hit. He is up because he can play third better than Fields.

Getz and Nix are better hitters than Beckham right now. Ramirez may always be a better hitter than Beckham.

voodoochile
06-17-2009, 11:25 PM

Give him the rest of the season unless the Sox acquire a guy who can play 3B long term. No reason to think a guy with Beckham's ability won't improve with more PT and practice. He's played a grand total of 30 games or something at 3B in his life. If he doesn't get better, they can move him to SS in the spring and move TCM back to 2B or vice versa.

The important part is Beckham continue to see MLB pitching for the rest of the year. He's got nothing to learn in the minors from that perspective.

Windy City
06-17-2009, 11:31 PM
I hope it's not a reaction time problem, but what I saw today is not the makings of a MLB 3B.

I'd never throw him anything but sliders off the plate. No fastballs.

He has a special offensive skill. Talk about a resurrection. He even looks steadier in the field than 2005. BTW, the Cubs Reed Johnson was also a scrapheap pickup.

Same kind of stuff as Buehele, but better when he's right. I called him the "ace" last year, right now not so sure.

Isn't it a pleasure to see some fast guys in black and gray running the bases, making things happen? The BA catches were nice, but a MLB CF must make those catches, as much as I like BA. Note on Kasper/Brenly on the PK hit-and-run: They never mentioned the words hit-and-run. Oversight or ignorance?

I think it was an oversight. Len and Bob don't miss much on the broadcast.

twinslayer
06-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Danks threw an excellent game. He really looked good on the mound. Milton Bradley didn't have to help us to win this one!

ChiSoxGirl
06-17-2009, 11:38 PM
I caught most of the game on my XM as I drove up I-95 from West Palm. I survived an hour and a half of Pat & Ron! :bandance: Seriously though, what a well-played game all-around. I love that I can't remember the last time Pods didn't have a hit! I can't even put into words what he has meant to this team. Go get the sweep tomorrow afternoon!!!

palehozenychicty
06-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Give him the rest of the season unless the Sox acquire a guy who can play 3B long term. No reason to think a guy with Beckham's ability won't improve with more PT and practice. He's played a grand total of 30 games or something at 3B in his life. If he doesn't get better, they can move him to SS in the spring and move TCM back to 2B or vice versa.

The important part is Beckham continue to see MLB pitching for the rest of the year. He's got nothing to learn in the minors from that perspective.

Thank you for a knowledgable post. He's not going to be Chavez or Brooks Robinson right now. The organization needs to do everything in their power to make sure that he succeeds, because this team will be better for it. He will be a good player in time unless they really do something egregious.

palehozenychicty
06-18-2009, 12:10 AM
If Beckham is a shortstop or a second baseman, he is a minor league shortstop or second baseman. He isn't up because he can hit. He is up because he can play third better than Fields.

Getz and Nix are better hitters than Beckham right now. Ramirez may always be a better hitter than Beckham.

That's a bold statement. Ramirez hit the homer today, but he is having a sophomore slump in the field and with the bat. You really don't know what you're getting with him right now. Beckham should be a good player too with time. I love Alexei, but his uneven play this year reeks of Uribe. At least he isn't expensive, and still has room for upside.

hawkjt
06-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Beckham had some very tough chances today. I think he will be fine in the field and I really like his ''thought process'' at the plate the last 3-4 games. He has a quick bat and makes contact. He is going with the pitch and getting a little more selective. I think he will be at third the rest of the year.

TDog
06-18-2009, 01:42 AM
That's a bold statement. Ramirez hit the homer today, but he is having a sophomore slump in the field and with the bat. You really don't know what you're getting with him right now. Beckham should be a good player too with time. I love Alexei, but his uneven play this year reeks of Uribe. At least he isn't expensive, and still has room for upside.

I think Ramirez has more all-around potential than anyone in the organization I have seen in the organization. The A's announcers said that Orlando Cabrera believes Ramirez misses his experience on the infield and now is the veteran between to young English-speaking infielders. Consider the source, of course (Sr. Cabrera certainly has a high opinion of himself), but there may be some truth in Ramirez not getting the help that he did last year, perhaps missing an amigo, if Cabrera really was an amigo.

At times in the No. 2 spot in the order, Ramirez has shown more patience at the plate than he ever has with the White Sox. Ramirez just needs to harness his five-tool talent.

Eventually I would like to see Beckham at second base. I don't see (nor do I wish to see) Ramirez going anywhere. Unfortunately, since Joe Crede faded away and Jose Uribe went to the Giants, the White Sox have been without someone who could play a solid third base. I hope Beckham is someone who can learn at the major league level because the Sox are a contender and the need his glove at third even before he figures out how to hit major league pitching consistently.

Nellie_Fox
06-18-2009, 02:08 AM
This series sucks.Just because some of us don't like interleague play and would be perfectly happy without playing the Cubs doesn't mean we can't be happy with a well-played Sox win.

Danks was tough as nails today, pitching out of jams like a veteran, and Ozzie pushed all the right buttons. It was a fun game to watch.

VenturaFan23
06-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Way to go Johnny be Good! Also, I love it when Ozzie manages in National League parks.

bigdommer
06-18-2009, 07:56 AM

Gordon has played 11 games in the big leagues. 11 games! Give the kid at least a month before making bold statements like that.

If you poll 100 MLB scouts to ask them if Gordon is a better hitter than Getz/Nix right now, 100 scouts will tell you that yes, Gordon is better. You can't look at 11 games worth of numbers to tell if he's a good hitter or not, you have to watch the at bats. He looks comfortable and confident at the plate, and he has crushed a handful of balls for outs.

TomBradley72
06-18-2009, 10:41 AM
As far as Beckham goes, the reality is that Getz sucks less than Fields sucks....and Getz has been getting some hits lately...so Beckham for 2009 is our best alternative at 3rd base....and our best infield without going outside the organization for help is Beckham/Ramirez/Getz/Konerko.

It's not easy to be called up to MLB as a 3rd baseman when you've played SS most of your career....a few balls ate him alive yesterday...but he also turned some nice double plays and almost made a great diving stop to his left. Give him a few weeks to settle down and I think he'll be a significant upgrade over Fields. Even as bad as he's looked, his fielding pct. is .935 vs. Fields' .940., and we have no other options within the orrganization.

TDog
06-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Gordon has played 11 games in the big leagues. 11 games! Give the kid at least a month before making bold statements like that.

If you poll 100 MLB scouts to ask them if Gordon is a better hitter than Getz/Nix right now, 100 scouts will tell you that yes, Gordon is better. You can't look at 11 games worth of numbers to tell if he's a good hitter or not, you have to watch the at bats. He looks comfortable and confident at the plate, and he has crushed a handful of balls for outs.

I don't know 100 MLB scouts, so you will have to do the polling for me. But that isn't such a bold statement. I'm sure Beckham will be a better hitter than Getz and Nix. He may be better than Getz and Nix in two weeks, six weeks or a couple of months. He is still learning major league pitching, and major league pitchers are still learning him. For most players, it's a process that goes on over the length of a career. But Beckham is just starting out.

I honestly don't believe Beckham had developed enough as a hitter to justify his being called up to replace Getz at second. But he is up now because the Sox need a third baseman.

Cangelosi CF
06-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Way to go Johnny be Good! Also, I love it when Ozzie manages in National League parks. Yes it was nice to see some 2005-esque small ball tactics today. Danks was money. :gulp:

voodoochile
06-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Yes it was nice to see some 2005-esque small ball tactics today. Danks was money. :gulp:

I absolutely loved Ozzie calling for the slap hit/fake bunt with Danks batting and the Flubbies putting on the wheel. I'm shocked more teams don't do this. Anything from 10-2 is almost a guranteed hit unless (as yesterday) the pitcher makes a great play and odds are you still get the guy to third and no DP. I've always thought bunting against the wheel defense was extra stupid.

bigdommer
06-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't know 100 MLB scouts, so you will have to do the polling for me. But that isn't such a bold statement. I'm sure Beckham will be a better hitter than Getz and Nix. He may be better than Getz and Nix in two weeks, six weeks or a couple of months. He is still learning major league pitching, and major league pitchers are still learning him. For most players, it's a process that goes on over the length of a career. But Beckham is just starting out.

I honestly don't believe Beckham had developed enough as a hitter to justify his being called up to replace Getz at second. But he is up now because the Sox need a third baseman.

I agree that Beckham shouldn't replace Getz at 2nd, because Getz has been consistent on D and a sparkplug in the lineup and is one of the only guys on this team who can play "small ball." However, if there is a spot today where we are down a couple of runs with a couple of guys on, I would rather have Beckham at the plate.

If TCQ does not get hurt and Jose doesn't wait 6 weeks to find his groove, the team is probably above .500 and in first and KW does not have to pull up Beckham or Poreda and this is all a moot point. Ozzie is right about Beckham in one respect, the fact that he was called up points out that the the team is in trouble. That's not a knock on Beckham, but more of a knock on the guy he replaced.

ode to veeck
06-18-2009, 12:50 PM
As far as Beckham goes, the reality is that Getz sucks less than Fields sucks....and Getz has been getting some hits lately...so Beckham for 2009 is our best alternative at 3rd base....and our best infield without going outside the organization for help is Beckham/Ramirez/Getz/Konerko.

It's a decent infield that should continue to improve and possible become a darn good one.

Waysouthsider
06-18-2009, 01:42 PM
What could be better.....slovenly cubby play, general public embarrassment about Sosa, and home park loss. Thank you John Danks for the big lift.

:redface:

soxfanreggie
06-18-2009, 08:57 PM
I about puked after this one. I really thought we had the game in the bag, but I guess it proves how anything can happen in this game.