PDA

View Full Version : New Sox DVD

Lip Man 1
06-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Didn't see this anywhere:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090616&content_id=5348780&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

ShoelessJoeS
06-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Sweet! I for one will be making the purchase. :D:

WhiteSoxFTW
06-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Very interesting. I found a Father's Day present.

EDIT: Use code 'REAWATWEN5' for 25% off!!

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Very interesting. I found a Father's Day present.

I just wish it came out in time :(:.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I just wish it came out in time :(:.

I'm just going to make him wait, it's worth it! :D:

downstairs
06-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Awesome... and Netflix has it!

FielderJones
06-17-2009, 01:13 PM
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=68335112

Release date listed as June 30.

XplodingScorbord
06-17-2009, 04:22 PM
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=68335112

Release date listed as June 30.

And $7.00 cheaper! :bandance:

Medford Bobby
06-17-2009, 04:43 PM
EBAY is also a good place to find copies...cheap!:wink:

RealFan
06-17-2009, 04:45 PM
With the 25% off discount code one of the first posters offered up, the price is right for me. Why quibble over a few bucks - no offense to anyone who wants to save a buck as I've been known to pinch a penny. But when it comes to my beloved White Sox, I can't set a budget and stick to it.

Can't wait for my DVD!!

rookie
06-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the info and the code. Just ordered it!

(Also, the Tribune Believe It! book from 2005 is $1 at Factory Card Outlet stores.)

Soxman219
06-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll buy it.

SOXfnNlansing
06-17-2009, 05:30 PM
I just bought it too. Thanks for the info and the 25% off code.:bandance:

AJRoxMyWhiteSox
06-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Wherever you get the DVD, I say get it. It's really a great DVD, and I was lucky enough to be the one to review it. I learned a lot about the teams I never got the chance to watch because I'm only in my 20s. I think "must-have" is an understatement.

SOXSINCE'70
06-17-2009, 05:49 PM
I can only hope Ventura's grand slam off Goose Gossage (1991) and Carlos Lee's slam off Courtney Duncan (2001) are included.

whtsox13
06-17-2009, 08:32 PM
BestBuy is going to have it on 6/23. No shipping and no waiting.

Nellie_Fox
06-18-2009, 12:51 AM
I ordered it when it was first announced back in March, and I got the email just today that it was finally shipped. So, I should have it in a couple of days.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Just got my email from MLB.com letting me know that they're shipping it now. Can't wait to watch this DVD. I read that they're gonna have some Sox clinchers as bonus features along with a TWIB feature on Nancy Faust.

Noneck
06-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Why quibble over a few bucks - no offense to anyone who wants to save a buck as I've been known to pinch a penny. But when it comes to my beloved White Sox, I can't set a budget and stick to it.

I am glad the last regime of over a quarter century has not rubbed off on you. Enjoy the DVD as I will.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Got mine yesterday and have started watching it. I'll post a review in a day or so.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
06-24-2009, 12:57 AM
Got mine a few days ago, watched the main thing (haven't watched any of the extras) last night. It was worth the money, just for the memories.

Lip Man 1
06-24-2009, 01:21 AM
OK here's my review of the 'White Sox Memories- DVD'

First off I rate it an 8.5 out of 10, certainly worth the money.

Now to some specifics:

What I liked:
------------

1. Interviews and soundbites galore. From current players, former players, opponents, baseball historians (including Rich Lindberg and Bob Vanderberg), current and former members of the Sox front office all interspaced throughout the story.

2. Some video footage that I've never seen before (and those who know me know that I have an awful lot in my library) Here are some examples:

A. Footage of Hall of Fame announcer Bob Wolfe interviewing Luis Aparicio in Washington

B. A snippet of an interview with Luis from 1958.

C. Footage which appears to be 16mm color film of Aparicio and Bill Melton in action from the late 60's (due to the uniform they wore.)

D. Footage which appears to be 16mm color film of Wilbur Wood pitching against the Yankees in what looks like Shea Stadium.

E. The final outs of Joe Cowley's no-hitter in 1986 in Anaheim.

F. Some newsreel footage of "Minnie" Minoso from the 1950's.

3. Good research, DVD was historically accurate with one exception. In 1983 the Orioles did not beat the Sox 4-1, it was 3-1.

4. Tom Paciorek feature from 1983 on 'how to be cool in your uniform' was funny!

What I disliked:
---------------

1. Most of the DVD is in widescreen format (I dislike widescreen intensly) If some of the footage could be in fullscreen on it, ALL of the footage could have been in fullscreen. They should have made both formats and given the consumers the choice of what they wanted to buy.

2. These may be small things but I noticed them and they were important to me:

A. Didn't have footage of the final outs from the 83 division clincher in the bonus section. (They did from 93, 05 and 08.) That SportsChannel footage exists (I should know...nudge, nudge, wink, wink SAY no more!)

B. Didn't have anything from the 1990 season nor the closing of the original Comiskey Park. That should have been a given for a bonus feature.

C. I don't know if this exists or not, but the Sox had a combined no-hitter at Oakland in 1976. If some footage remains it should have been included in the no-hitters bonus section. (They had a lot of TV footage from the Veeck 70's era by the way on the disc.)

D. Jim Landis was not included in the All-Time center fielders. Excuse me? A four time Gold Glover, the best the franchise has ever had and he's NOT included?

E. This really bugged me. They basically had a lot of stuff from the 1950's, but very little from the 1960's. How do you gloss over one of the greatest time periods in franchise history? From 63 to 65 the Sox averaged 96 wins. In 64 they won 98 games and lost the pennant by a single game. They lost the pennant in 67 the final week. Yet nothing on this period. No newsreel footage, no soundbites from any of the former players, nothing. That's unbelievable. (Maybe they should have asked me for some. I've got about eight minutes from two games in 64..at Washington and at Baltimore!) I can understand why Mike Hershberger got a little ticked when talking about a 'lack of respect' from the fans and organization about that time period in his WSI Interview.

---------------------

That's it... like I said it's pretty good all things considered and worth the money.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
06-24-2009, 01:31 AM
D. Jim Landis was not included in the All-Time center fielders. Excuse me? A four time Gold Glover, the best the franchise has ever had and he's NOT included?That shocked me so much that I honestly thought I must have gotten distracted and missed it. Really.

anewman35
06-24-2009, 06:48 AM
What I disliked:
---------------

1. Most of the DVD is in widescreen format (I dislike widescreen intensly) If some of the footage could be in fullscreen on it, ALL of the footage could have been in fullscreen. They should have made both formats and given the consumers the choice of what they wanted to buy.

I have no idea what you personally have against widescreen, but this is probably a good thing. The standard is becoming widescreen more every day, and putting out something in fullscreen now is a good way to instantly date it. And, sure, they COULD have done both ways, but it would have cost them more money, and let's be honest, how many copies of this are they going to actually sell?

TommyJohn
06-24-2009, 08:47 AM
OK here's my review of the 'White Sox Memories- DVD'

First off I rate it an 8.5 out of 10, certainly worth the money.

Now to some specifics:

What I liked:
------------

1. Interviews and soundbites galore. From current players, former players, opponents, baseball historians (including Rich Lindberg and Bob Vanderberg), current and former members of the Sox front office all interspaced throughout the story.

2. Some video footage that I've never seen before (and those who know me know that I have an awful lot in my library) Here are some examples:

A. Footage of Hall of Fame announcer Bob Wolfe interviewing Luis Aparicio in Washington

B. A snippet of an interview with Luis from 1958.

C. Footage which appears to be 16mm color film of Aparicio and Bill Melton in action from the late 60's (due to the uniform they wore.)

D. Footage which appears to be 16mm color film of Wilbur Wood pitching against the Yankees in what looks like Shea Stadium.

E. The final outs of Joe Cowley's no-hitter in 1986 in Anaheim.

F. Some newsreel footage of "Minnie" Minoso from the 1950's.

3. Good research, DVD was historically accurate with one exception. In 1983 the Orioles did not beat the Sox 4-1, it was 3-1.

4. Tom Paciorek feature from 1983 on 'how to be cool in your uniform' was funny!

What I disliked:
---------------

2. These may be small things but I noticed them and they were important to me:

A. Didn't have footage of the final outs from the 83 division clincher in the bonus section. (They did from 93, 05 and 08.) That SportsChannel footage exists (I should know...nudge, nudge, wink, wink SAY no more!)

B. Didn't have anything from the 1990 season nor the closing of the original Comiskey Park. That should have been a given for a bonus feature.

C. I don't know if this exists or not, but the Sox had a combined no-hitter at Oakland in 1976. If some footage remains it should have been included in the no-hitters bonus section. (They had a lot of TV footage from the Veeck 70's era by the way on the disc.)

D. Jim Landis was not included in the All-Time center fielders. Excuse me? A four time Gold Glover, the best the franchise has ever had and he's NOT included?

E. This really bugged me. They basically had a lot of stuff from the 1950's, but very little from the 1960's. How do you gloss over one of the greatest time periods in franchise history? From 63 to 65 the Sox averaged 96 wins. In 64 they won 98 games and lost the pennant by a single game. They lost the pennant in 67 the final week. Yet nothing on this period. No newsreel footage, no soundbites from any of the former players, nothing. That's unbelievable. (Maybe they should have asked me for some. I've got about eight minutes from two games in 64..at Washington and at Baltimore!) I can understand why Mike Hershberger got a little ticked when talking about a 'lack of respect' from the fans and organization about that time period in his WSI Interview.

---------------------

That's it... like I said it's pretty good all things considered and worth the money.

Lip
1964 and 1967 are two of my favorite White Sox seasons. I am surprised they don't have anything on them. That's just sad, seriously.

The Critic
06-24-2009, 08:49 AM
BestBuy is going to have it on 6/23. No shipping and no waiting.

I went to my local Best Buy last night looking for it.
No copies.

Lip Man 1
06-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Anew:

I do not have a widescreen TV and what I have is only a few years old. I'm not going to run out and spend money to get one so that the movie companies in cohoots with the DVD folks can get it. (Which is why they are doing this more and more.)

They say "get a big TV..." So you do, then the top third and bottom third of it are wasted with black spaces.

Makes perfect sense to me! No thank you.

I have a 35 inch screen I want it all filled with video...not black.

Lip

ChiSoxFan81
06-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Anew:

I do not have a widescreen TV and what I have is only a few years old. I'm not going to run out and spend money to get one so that the movie companies in cohoots with the DVD folks can get it. (Which is why they are doing this more and more.)

They say "get a big TV..." So you do, then the top third and bottom third of it are wasted with black spaces.

Makes perfect sense to me! No thank you.

I have a 35 inch screen I want it all filled with video...not black.

Lip

Is there a 'zoom' option on your DVD player or TV? If so, you may be able to get full screen. Of course, you may end up reducing the quality or missing things off screen.

Lip Man 1
06-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Chisox:

I do have that feature but there are times when it simply will not work depending on how the DVD was formatted. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Oddly enough it also doesn't work if you have a satellite and say am trying to watch a game without that goofy continuous crawl at the bottom that keeps saying the same damn thing over and over.

Lip

KenBerryGrab
06-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Pretty much everything will be in widescreen now, as that format aspect (16 by 9) is the new broadcast industry standard replacing 4 by 3.

Lip Man 1
06-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Ken:

I'm in the business I understand that. My point is that there are still a number of items in fullscreen both VHS and DVD. Some of this White Sox video is in fullscreen.

If widescreen is so special why didn't they convert the fullscreen video into widescreen? Why do they have both?

They could have made both formats if they wanted to, it happens all the time. I myself have some DVD movies that are in both formats.

They chose not to in part, I think, because both the movie / entertainment industry and the makers of TV sets are in cahoots wanting folks to go out and spend money buying "widescreen" TV sets. (and I'm not necessarily referring to this DVD but in a broader sense the entire industry)

Sony Company makes movies / TV shows and they make TV's....coincidence?

Give the consumer a choice that's all I ask.

Lip

ewokpelts
06-25-2009, 10:36 AM
sorry lip, you actually see MORE with widescreen, even on an old SD set.

Lip Man 1
06-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Ewok:

You figure out a way to get rid of the black bars and we've got a deal.

Plus I have over 700 VHS tapes dating back to the 70's with material all have been converted to DVD's.

Those tapes / games / documentaries etc were recorded in a fullscreen mode because that was the state of the art at that time.

How do you watch those on a widescreen format? I've seen what they look like when you try, all funky.

They can't be replaced even if I had the money to do so, many of the games that I have will never be shown again. That's the biggest reason I'll probably never get a widescreen TV and why I hate it so.

Give consumers a choice in the matter.

Lip

ewokpelts
06-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Ewok:

Plus I have over 700 VHS tapes dating back to the 70's with material all have been converted to DVD's.

Those tapes / games / documentaries etc were recorded in a fullscreen mode because that was the state of the art at that time.

How do you watch those on a widescreen format? I've seen what they look like when you try, all funky.

They can't be replaced even if I had the money to do so, many of the games that I have will never be shown again. That's the biggest reason I'll probably never get a widescreen TV and why I hate it so.

Lip wikipedia is your friend

Lip Man 1
06-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Actually wikipedia is one of the last things I'd look at. You realize that most schools don't allow students to use that as source material for example because it is often wrong.

Lip

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-25-2009, 08:34 PM
I went to my local Best Buy last night looking for it.
No copies.

I had the same problem. I went a few hours ago because their website said they had them. When I got there, I couldn't find any. I asked someone for help. He looked it up on their computer and said they should have 3. He looked on the shelves and in the warehouse and didn't find any. I was disappointed. :mad:

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2009, 08:39 PM
I had the same problem. I went a few hours ago because their website said they had them. When I got there, I couldn't find any. I asked someone for help. He looked it up on their computer and said they should have 3. He looked on the shelves and in the warehouse and didn't find any. I was disappointed. :mad:
Perhaps they did but they were all in other shopper's carts at the time? It has to be a hot commodity, ya know!

Brian26
06-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Ken:

I'm in the business I understand that. My point is that there are still a number of items in fullscreen both VHS and DVD. Some of this White Sox video is in fullscreen.

If widescreen is so special why didn't they convert the fullscreen video into widescreen? Why do they have both?

They could have made both formats if they wanted to, it happens all the time. I myself have some DVD movies that are in both formats.

They chose not to in part, I think, because both the movie / entertainment industry and the makers of TV sets are in cahoots wanting folks to go out and spend money buying "widescreen" TV sets. (and I'm not necessarily referring to this DVD but in a broader sense the entire industry)

Sony Company makes movies / TV shows and they make TV's....coincidence?

Give the consumer a choice that's all I ask.

Lip

Lip, full-screen is being completely phased out. I was watching a WTTW broadcast of Sesame Street with my little guy yesterday on our downstairs tv, and I couldn't see half of Snuffy's body. Yes, even Sesame Street is broadcast in wide-screen now.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Got my copy in the mail today! :bandance:

FielderJones
06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Actually wikipedia is one of the last things I'd look at. You realize that most schools don't allow students to use that as source material for example because it is often wrong.

Would The Digital Bits (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.html) meet your accuracy criteria?

kitekrazy
06-26-2009, 02:18 PM

Lip

Great post.

kitekrazy
06-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Lip, full-screen is being completely phased out. I was watching a WTTW broadcast of Sesame Street with my little guy yesterday on our downstairs tv, and I couldn't see half of Snuffy's body. Yes, even Sesame Street is broadcast in wide-screen now.

That's not wide screen. They cropped it to give the WS look.

kitekrazy
06-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Ewok:

Lip

You can change the aspect ratio of a WS TV. So if you want to view old stuff you set the setting to 4:3.

Lip Man 1
06-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Fielder:

I dislike the black bars more then I dislike missing some of the scenes around the outside edges.

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Kite:

Yes you can change the aspect ratio but doesn't that simply move the black bars from top / bottom to left / right? Maybe I'm wrong about that.

I don't want ANY black bars, not one iota of them on my screen.

Lip

VeeckAsInWreck
06-26-2009, 03:29 PM
One of the bonus features is the prank that was played on Bacon during spring training after he said "Who's Harold?"

Funny stuff.

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Kite:

Yes you can change the aspect ratio but doesn't that simply move the black bars from top / bottom to left / right? Maybe I'm wrong about that.

I don't want ANY black bars, not one iota of them on my screen.

LipI sometimes have to put up with the black bars at the sides of my HDTV. That's life.

Sometimes movies in HD are even wider screen than my wide-screen, and I still get black bars at the top and bottom. The 3X4 aspect ratio is as dead as BetaMax. You'll just have to get over it.

ewokpelts
06-29-2009, 02:33 PM

Lip

i dont even know where to begin on that one.....

Lip Man 1
06-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Actually I don't Nellie. I can continue to hunt for the things I want the way I want them or figure out a way to tweek things so that I can get it in the way I want.

It's interesting that via DirecTV when you order a pay per view movie (like I just did 30 minutes ago), SURPRISE it's in full screen mode! How do you account for that? (nudge, nudge...wink, wink...) maybe it's because DirecTV thinks it's OK to offer a choice unlike the movie studios and TV makers who want you to run right out and drop 600 bucks or so down on a widescreen version.

It's also amazing that when I go to Wal-Mart I can get a ton of DVD movies in full screen (just got the Bourne Supremacy) but when you go to Hollywood Video SURPRISE 90% of them are in wide screen. No coincidence that Hollywood Video is offering titles from the same companies that want you to get that widescreen TV I guess. I guess Wal-Mart has no stake in the type of TV someone has where Hollywood Video does.

All I can say is, not in my lifetime.

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Ewok:

I suggest you start with Hal Vickery (Torn Labrum) a teacher and his rules for his students on wikipedia.

Lip

Patrick134
06-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Actually I don't Nellie. I can continue to hunt for the things I want the way I want them or figure out a way to tweek things so that I can get it in the way I want.

It's interesting that via DirecTV when you order a pay per view movie (like I just did 30 minutes ago), SURPRISE it's in full screen mode! How do you account for that? (nudge, nudge...wink, wink...) maybe it's because DirecTV thinks it's OK to offer a choice unlike the movie studios and TV makers who want you to run right out and drop 600 bucks or so down on a widescreen version.

It's also amazing that when I go to Wal-Mart I can get a ton of DVD movies in full screen (just got the Bourne Supremacy) but when you go to Hollywood Video SURPRISE 90% of them are in wide screen. No coincidence that Hollywood Video is offering titles from the same companies that want you to get that widescreen TV I guess. I guess Wal-Mart has no stake in the type of TV someone has where Hollywood Video does.

Lip

That's like looking for 8 track tapes out there. I can see if someone is hanging on to an old tv, but to buy a new tv that's not widescreen is insane.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Patrick:

That's my point. I have a nice fairly new 35 inch Sony that I got a great deal on from my local provider for electronics and satellite TV two plus years ago.

I'm not going to run out and drop down anther 600-700 dollars because some movie company (Sony) or rental place (Hollywood) wants me to.

I think it's reasonable to say a consumer should have a choice plus as mentioned earlier in the thread. I have recordings and tapes as far back as the 70's that do not look good in wide screen.

They weren't broadcast that way and they aren't designed to play that way (even when copied to a DVD for safe keeping.)

Lip

ewokpelts
06-29-2009, 03:56 PM

LipYou remind me of Hangar18. Way too paranoid.

Ewok:

I suggest you start with Hal Vickery (Torn Labrum) a teacher and his rules for his students on wikipedia.

LipI'm not writing a paper.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Chisox:

I do have that feature but there are times when it simply will not work depending on how the DVD was formatted. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Oddly enough it also doesn't work if you have a satellite and say am trying to watch a game without that goofy continuous crawl at the bottom that keeps saying the same damn thing over and over.

Lip

This is why I love Dish Network. It allows me 5 different formats. Normal (for you Lip), Partial Zoom, Stretch, etc. It's nice for multiple different situations. Partial Zoom will get rid of the crawl at the bottom. I hate Direct TV with a passion. Dish is much more user friendly and it's on screen guide and remotes are the best out there. Just read the user reviews.

Would The Digital Bits (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.html) meet your accuracy criteria?

This is a very interesting webpage. Thanks for the link.

KenBerryGrab
06-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Patrick:

That's my point. I have a nice fairly new 35 inch Sony that I got a great deal on from my local provider for electronics and satellite TV two plus years ago.

You got a great deal because the set was soon to be out of date.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2009, 04:14 PM
White Sox FTW:

I had Dish Network for five years and loved it, unfortunately they lost the MLB Extra Innings package and it's probably not coming back so I switched.

Ewok:

But if the information is considered at risk and faulty by those who teach for a living, how am I supposed to feel comfortable with what some yahoo from Podunk, Arkansas says to do?

Ken:

It's a flat screen to boot but even if the deal wasn't the best I was getting a regular TV (non widescreen) because of the over 700 tapes and DVD's that were transmitted and (or) recorded in full screen which I have. Those can not be replaced and those games will never be broadcasts again, I'm not going to trash those nor try to watch them when they look funky so that a movie company or a TV manufacture can make more money off me.

-------------

Folks I was asked why I hate wide screen so much. I explained my reasons, you aren't going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours so why don't we simply agree to disagree?

Lip

ewokpelts
06-29-2009, 04:17 PM
White Sox FTW:

I had Dish Network for five years and loved it, unfortunately they lost the MLB Extra Innings package and it's probably not coming back so I switched.

Ewok:

But if the information is considered at risk and faulty by those who teach for a living, how am I supposed to feel comfortable with what some yahoo from Podunk, Arkansas says to do?

-------------

Folks I was asked why I hate wide screen so much. I explained my reasons, you aren't going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours so why don't we simply agree to disagree?

Liptake the tin foil off your head.

wikipedia is a good starting point.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2009, 04:22 PM
If you say so Ewok, I can give you the names of just as many folks who think it's garbage.

I suggest we let this matter go.

Lip

hi im skot
06-29-2009, 04:25 PM
So, moving past this obnoxious threadjack...

I was really pleased with the DVD. I could use a few more "classic moments" (I was hoping for the Ventura/Gossage grand slam), but still worth every penny.

SOXfnNlansing
06-29-2009, 04:40 PM
I sat up and watched it with my son last night, trying to introduce him to players of yesterday. I was going to save it for one of his birthday presents, but August is soooo far away!

It was a professionally done video. I'm just glad they didn't have Jim Belushi gushing how he is a Sox fan (George Wendt played the part nicely). I'm glad I got the heads up from the site to order it. Nice addition to the collection.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-30-2009, 09:40 AM
White Sox FTW:

Ewok:

Ken:

It's a flat screen to boot but even if the deal wasn't the best I was getting a regular TV (non widescreen) because of the over 700 tapes and DVD's that were transmitted and (or) recorded in full screen which I have. Those can not be replaced and those games will never be broadcasts again, I'm not going to trash those nor try to watch them when they look funky so that a movie company or a TV manufacture can make more money off me.

-------------

Lip

Lip,

Have you looked into transferring all of those VHS tapes to digital video files on your computer? My dad began transferring all of our family home movies to an external hard drive. He also backs up his files to a subscription online backup server. Even DVDs can be damaged. He bought a little converter box and a few cables from Dell with his laptop that he simply hooks up to a VCR. After you have the digital files you can do a number of things with some very simple video software.

But, maybe you know this already. :D:

pudge
07-11-2009, 03:40 AM
No coincidence that Hollywood Video is offering titles from the same companies that want you to get that widescreen TV I guess. I guess Wal-Mart has no stake in the type of TV someone has where Hollywood Video does.

Lip

Ah, lordy, I just had to chime in because this is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Yeah, Hollywood Video, about to go out of business if they haven't already, gives a rats butt what TV you buy. That has zero to do with their business model.

Nobody is trying to force any TV on you. Most of the sane world actually wants to partake in progress. As for cutting a video DVD of the White Sox history, which I'm sure has a very thin margin of profit considering the low number of copies it will sell, there is no value in them recropping everything to provide the customer choice you so dearly demand. They went with what they thought would work for most people.

I agree it's a frustrating time to be caught in the 4:3 / 16:9 transition, but you just gotta live with it. And I know widescreen TVs are pricey, but widescreen HDTV is the most spectacular thing, and as a sports fan, easily worth the cost, but that's just me.

Cuck the Fubs
07-11-2009, 08:56 AM
I just watched this DVD on my 61" 1080p widescreen through my Blu Ray player....no issues.

On the more important side....this DVD is a MUST buy for any White Sox fan...it's really well done.

PKalltheway
07-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Already placed my order, I can't wait to get it!:D:

Cuck the Fubs
07-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Already placed my order, I can't wait to get it!:D:

You won't regret it....what I need to do now is get to my dad's house with my 2 sons so gramps can get them up to speed on the Go Go Sox!

tacosalbarojas
07-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Ah, lordy, I just had to chime in because this is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Yeah, Hollywood Video, about to go out of business if they haven't already, gives a rats butt what TV you buy. That has zero to do with their business model.

Nobody is trying to force any TV on you. Most of the sane world actually wants to partake in progress. As for cutting a video DVD of the White Sox history, which I'm sure has a very thin margin of profit considering the low number of copies it will sell, there is no value in them recropping everything to provide the customer choice you so dearly demand. They went with what they thought would work for most people.

I agree it's a frustrating time to be caught in the 4:3 / 16:9 transition, but you just gotta live with it. And I know widescreen TVs are pricey, but widescreen HDTV is the most spectacular thing, and as a sports fan, easily worth the cost, but that's just me.Seriously, anyone who doesn't think widescreen HDTV isn't the BEST television/movie experience you can possibly have simply doesn't know what they are missing.

Lip Man 1
07-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Taco:

Of course when you have an HDTV set but all the channels AREN'T in HD it doesn't look so hot does it? (and I've seen the picture on those sets when they aren't in HD). HD is great...please call me when every channel is broadcast in it and I'll consider it.

Lip

tacosalbarojas
07-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Taco:

Of course when you have an HDTV set but all the channels AREN'T in HD it doesn't look so hot does it? (and I've seen the picture on those sets when they aren't in HD). HD is great...please call me when every channel is broadcast in it and I'll consider it.

Lip
A high enough pct. of meaningful channels are programmed in HD...but like others have said, enjoy your television watching without it. More HD for the rest of us.

thomas35forever
07-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Just ordered my copy yesterday and it's been shipped out. Can't wait!

VeeckAsInWreck
07-17-2009, 09:17 AM

You'll love it. I watched my copy again during the break to fill the void the last few days.

PKalltheway
07-18-2009, 12:59 AM
I got my copy in the mail a few days ago, and after watching it, I was not disappointed. You won't be disappointed, either. Just an awesome DVD!:cool:

parlaycard
07-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Taco:

Lip

You might not live to see that day.

Theyre pushing these 1080p tvs and have been for years, as the greatest picture ever.

How many channels are broadcaast in 1080?

ZERO

Not to mention, there is no definate plan to broadcast in 1080. Mayve by 2014. MAYBE.

So all these guys that are so proud of their 1080 sets, better have a blue ray player, because that is the only way you get to use any portion of your sets capabilities.

So in my opinion , grab a 720p HDTV set to enjoy the Sox in HD.

thomas35forever
07-20-2009, 04:24 PM
An awesome DVD that every diehard Sox fan must own. I love how they added Cora's ribbing of Beckham in the bonus features.:cool:

pudge
07-20-2009, 07:38 PM
You might not live to see that day.

Theyre pushing these 1080p tvs and have been for years, as the greatest picture ever.

How many channels are broadcaast in 1080?

ZERO

Not entirely true. DirecTV is broadcasting movies in blu-ray quality 1080p... Satellites have an edge since they are limited only by how many they can send into space... Cable companies will have some trouble getting to 1080p, but they'll get there, and it's true that live sporting events are not going to jump to 1080p for a while, but at this stage, 1080p TVs are not a heck of a lot more expensive than a 720p TV, and if you grab a PS3 you've got blu ray and video games in 1080p, not too shabby. I don't know why anyone would buy a 720p TV now. I still have a 720p and don't think it's worth an upgrade yet, but I may soon.

ewokpelts
07-21-2009, 11:51 AM
over the air hd broadcasts are in 1080.

CLUBHOUSE KID
07-21-2009, 01:46 PM
This movie is great! Got it almost a week but watching now.