PDA

View Full Version : Jared Mitchell-LSU Sox draftee

hawkjt
06-17-2009, 12:30 AM
had a very good day in the college WS in Omaha and on Baseball2Nite Steve Phillips and the other guy covering it with the hot babe both said that Mitchell reminds them of Carl Crawford with his speed /power combo.
Phillips said he has star potential.

Nice to hear.

palehozenychicty
06-17-2009, 12:53 AM
I would love for this guy to refine that swing......without Greg Walker. If he does, then look out.

jabrch
06-17-2009, 08:31 AM
I would love for this guy to refine that swing......without Greg Walker. If he does, then look out.

Um Walk is our major league hitting coach. Aside from ST, he isn't going to see much at all or have much at all to do with Mitchell.

If you want to worry about a hitting coach (and I think that's insane), I'd worry about Briley in Kanny, Sasser in WS and Tomberlin in Birmingham. Those are the guys who will impact his swing - not Walker.

PalehosePlanet
06-21-2009, 04:55 PM
had a very good day in the college WS in Omaha and on Baseball2Nite Steve Phillips and the other guy covering it with the hot babe both said that Mitchell reminds them of Carl Crawford with his speed /power combo.
Phillips said he has star potential.

Nice to hear.

I watched some of the game and he reminded me more of a raw, young and unpolished Curtis Granderson.

He definitely has big time potential; hopefully our ML coaches can refine his game over the next couple of years.

palehozenychicty
06-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Um Walk is our major league hitting coach. Aside from ST, he isn't going to see much at all or have much at all to do with Mitchell.

If you want to worry about a hitting coach (and I think that's insane), I'd worry about Briley in Kanny, Sasser in WS and Tomberlin in Birmingham. Those are the guys who will impact his swing - not Walker.

Believe what you want, but hitting coaches do have value at the major league level. Sure, the minors will give him the opportunity to train at the different levels to polish up and refine, but in order for him to maximize his major league potential, the major league hitting coach will be a factor. I doubt that Walker is capable of doing this if/when he reaches the team, thus my prior statement of not wanting him around at that point.

UofCSoxFan
06-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Kind of funny that Crawford and Granderson are mentioned in this thread. In an interview Mitchell said he thinks his game is similar to Crawford's (he wasn't saying he's at that level by any means more that's what he tries to play like) and when I saw his draft reel Granderson was the first person that came to mind for me.

palehozenychicty
06-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Kind of funny that Crawford and Granderson are mentioned in this thread. In an interview Mitchell said he thinks his game is similar to Crawford's (he wasn't saying he's at that level by any means more that's what he tries to play like) and when I saw his draft reel Granderson was the first person that came to mind for me.

If he becomes a Granderson, then I'll take it, except I hope that he walks a little more.

hawkjt
06-22-2009, 02:58 PM
in the College WS...good luck to Jared!

soltrain21
06-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Game just started - and since the Sox don't play it would be a good time to check him out.

Was just told that Mitchell has "blinding" speed in right.

KRS1
06-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Shot one hard right back up the middle in his first AB and really laced a ball that was tracked down in deep CF his second.

KRS1
06-22-2009, 08:53 PM
2 RBI triple in his third AB.

chunk
06-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Holy crap he's fast. I can't believe he got a triple there.

soxnut1018
06-22-2009, 08:54 PM
That was NICE!:wooty:

Soxman219
06-22-2009, 08:57 PM
He's going to look good in that Sox uni.

With some work, we might have a Carl Crawford in our hands.

soxnut1018
06-22-2009, 08:59 PM
He's going to look good in that Sox uni.

With some work, we might have a Carl Crawford in our hands.

Maybe we might have Hawk's version of Carlos Gomez on our hands.

DirtySox
06-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Most importantly, that Triple was off a lefty.

KRS1
06-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Holy crap he's fast. I can't believe he got a triple there.

Easily too.

KRS1
06-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Made his first out today on a hard grounder up the middle to the SS.

Redus Redux
06-22-2009, 10:01 PM
apparently Mitchell got the triple off a lefty that Detroit took in Round 5

Redus Redux
06-22-2009, 10:36 PM
he's up

flies out, gets runner to third.

thomas35forever
06-22-2009, 11:09 PM
apparently Mitchell got the triple off a lefty that Detroit took in Round 5
A nod to the future, perhaps?:cool:

UofCSoxFan
06-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Most importantly, that Triple was off a lefty.

Broadcasters said at the beginning that he has been killing righties all tourney but struggling against the lefties. This isn't terribly shocking given that I guess up to this year he played football in the spring and joined the baseball team late (that floors me that he was forced to practice football instead of playing with an in season team but I guess that's why you see few multi-sport atheletes at the D1 level)

The talent is definitely there. Not to put timeframes but I would say he's a minimum of 3 or 4 years away but its good to see us take a high ceiling guy instead of a Lance Broadway. On the surface, this seems like real good value at 23.

NLaloosh
06-23-2009, 06:38 AM
It seems to me that he should be on the southside in 2012.

asindc
06-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Broadcasters said at the beginning that he has been killing righties all tourney but struggling against the lefties. This isn't terribly shocking given that I guess up to this year he played football in the spring and joined the baseball team late (that floors me that he was forced to practice football instead of playing with an in season team but I guess that's why you see few multi-sport atheletes at the D1 level)

The talent is definitely there. Not to put timeframes but I would say he's a minimum of 3 or 4 years away but its good to see us take a high ceiling guy instead of a Lance Broadway. On the surface, this seems like real good value at 23.

It is probably because he is/was officially on a football scholarship but allowed to play baseball as long as it did not interfere with football. He might have been given a baseball scholarship before this season started, allowing his footbal scholarship to lapse in the process, since they are awarded on a year-to-year basis.

I saw his second at bat yesterday, in which he flied out to deep CF. I really hope he is ready to leadoff by the beginning of 2011.

KyWhiSoxFan
06-23-2009, 07:02 PM
It is probably because he is/was officially on a football scholarship but allowed to play baseball as long as it did not interfere with football. He might have been given a baseball scholarship before this season started, allowing his footbal scholarship to lapse in the process, since they are awarded on a year-to-year basis.

I saw his second at bat yesterday, in which he flied out to deep CF. I really hope he is ready to leadoff by the beginning of 2011.

My impression from listening to the announcers of the college world series is that Les Miles let him skip spring practice and play baseball this year because he knows Mitchell's professional future was in baseball, not football. I think he was still on a football scholarship. Maybe someone familiar with LSU can chime in.

BadBobbyJenks
06-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Mitchell just hit a laser beam out of the yard for a 3 run home run.

soxnut1018
06-24-2009, 07:19 PM
I like what I see:bandance:

Taliesinrk
06-24-2009, 07:20 PM
I believe that's the meaning of "piss-rod". I wonder how many seconds it took for it to leave. That ball was hammered.

thomas35forever
06-24-2009, 07:27 PM
This Shlubs fan must have been clueless about where he's ending up.
jared mitchell is a stud..come to the cubs.

KRS1
06-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Twas jacked.

goon
06-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Just saw a highlight. He smoked that ball.

goon
06-24-2009, 07:47 PM
This Shlubs fan must have been clueless about where he's ending up.

:scratch:

soxnut1018
06-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Congrats Jared! Tournament's Most Outstanding Player:bandance:

KRS1
06-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Named the NCAA tourny's Most Outstanding Player!!! :gulp:

SoxSpeed22
06-24-2009, 11:01 PM
LSU wins the title tonight with an 11-4 victory. Jared Mitchell was the tournament's most outstanding player. He homered in the first inning to give the Tigers a 3 run lead. He was also making plays defensively, and hitting the ball hard throughout the tournament. Let's get this kid signed.

JohnTucker0814
06-24-2009, 11:13 PM
LSU wins the title tonight with an 11-4 victory. Jared Mitchell was the tournament's most outstanding player. He homered in the first inning to give the Tigers a 3 run lead. He was also making plays defensively, and hitting the ball hard throughout the tournament. Let's get this kid signed.

I have no doubts that he will get signed... I have faith!

TDog
06-24-2009, 11:31 PM
... Let's get this kid signed.

He seems to be a great athlete who could be a great baseball player. I don't know if signing him will be more difficult because of his success in Omaha.

Even so, he's a couple of years away from the majors.

soxnut1018
06-24-2009, 11:35 PM
He seems to be a great athlete who could be a great baseball player. I don't know if signing him will be more difficult because of his success in Omaha.

Even so, he's a couple of years away from the majors.

But he is "ridiculously excited to join the White Sox."

rdivaldi
06-24-2009, 11:36 PM
I don't know if signing him will be more difficult because of his success in Omaha.

It didn't stop us from signing Beckham rather quickly, so I doubt this will cause much of a problem.

California Sox
06-24-2009, 11:50 PM
I would be shocked if he does not sign fairly soon for something close to slot. (Maybe last year's slot.) It's not like he was a top ten pick or expected to be a top ten pick. The Sox are about as high as anyone thought he would go. He should be pretty satisfied with where he was picked. I bet he's in Great Falls by July 4th.

Britt Burns
06-25-2009, 01:14 AM
Let's get him signed and start getting him his reps. Assuming he does sign quickly, I wonder if the Sox will consider sending him to the AFL like Beckham last year...

Nutriaitch
06-25-2009, 02:29 PM
My impression from listening to the announcers of the college world series is that Les Miles let him skip spring practice and play baseball this year because he knows Mitchell's professional future was in baseball, not football. I think he was still on a football scholarship. Maybe someone familiar with LSU can chime in.

Mitchell was on a full ride football scholarship to LSU.
College baseball teams are only allowed 11.7 schollies per year, so if they can get a player or 2 on a full ride in football, it really helps the number crunching.

Les Miles (our football coach) normally wouldn't allow a guy on full ride to skip spring practice for any reason.

However, in Mitchell's situation things were a lil different. He was projected as a high round draft choice in baseball, and would be no better than 5th or 6th WR on the football depth chart.

Mainieri (our baseball coach) asked to keep Mitchell through spring, because it was in best interest of both the team and the kid.

Dude is a tremendous talent. He's gotten a lot better at hitting lefties down the stretch.
Early on, he would either not swing, or hack wildly at terribly low and outside pitches.
Most of this, is because he hadn't seen a ton of lefty pitchers. Early in his career here, he would sit against Lefty starters. Now that he's facing them, he is starting to recognize pitches and feel more comfortable facing them.

If he can continue to improve like this, he has a future in the big leagues.
Wishing him the best of luck, I always like to follow our former players at the next level.

Domeshot17
06-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Let's get him signed and start getting him his reps. Assuming he does sign quickly, I wonder if the Sox will consider sending him to the AFL like Beckham last year...

He is not even close to AFL ready.

We have to be ANTI BECKHAM APPROACH with Mitchell. This kid has the tools to succeed. I don't know if he will hit for much Average in the pros, but he has the strength to develop Power if he learns to square pitches up, and tremendous speed.

However, there has been a lot of talks that his swing will need to be blown up and completely reconstructed. You have to look at Mitchell and forget everything the kid has done, and see him as a 3 year or more project who needs to be built from scratch.

If we rush him, he will bust, if we do this right, maybe we get a guy who can hit 260-270 with a 350 obp with power and speed.

cws05champ
06-25-2009, 03:07 PM
He is not even close to AFL ready.

We have to be ANTI BECKHAM APPROACH with Mitchell. This kid has the tools to succeed. I don't know if he will hit for much Average in the pros, but he has the strength to develop Power if he learns to square pitches up, and tremendous speed.

However, there has been a lot of talks that his swing will need to be blown up and completely reconstructed. You have to look at Mitchell and forget everything the kid has done, and see him as a 3 year or more project who needs to be built from scratch.

If we rush him, he will bust, if we do this right, maybe we get a guy who can hit 260-270 with a 350 obp with power and speed.
+ 1

My thoughts exactly...

SoxSpeed22
06-25-2009, 04:32 PM
From what I saw in the CWS, Mitchell's biggest thing to improve is his understanding of the strike zone. Hopefully that is something he can solve just by playing more and seeing more pitches. Defensively, he should be able to play any position in the outfield. I also agree that the Sox should take their time with him. He has a lot of things to refine.