PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Rodriguez Ties Pudge's Record

DSpivack
06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Of games caught at catcher.

TDog
06-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Sadly, people in the national media will call Rodriguez Pudge and, unlike Carlton Fisk, Ivan Rodriguez will be elected to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. Some people care about such things.

I recall Angels fans being extremely upset that Fisk broke Bob Boone's record. I was at an Angels game and heard fans saying Boone should come back to play a couple more games to get the record back.

It's disappointing that someone like Rodriguez should break Fisk's record, but I'm more disappointed that Omar Visquel broke Luis Aparicio's record at shortstop.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Sadly, people in the national media will call Rodriguez Pudge and, unlike Carlton Fisk, Ivan Rodriguez will be elected to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. Some people care about such things.

I don't think he will get in on his first try. I think there are too many questions about if he used steroids for that to happen.

sox1970
06-16-2009, 08:48 PM

Yeah right. He juiced.

Big D
06-16-2009, 08:49 PM
If he sticks around a few more years, he may also be able to tie Jose Canseco's record for the most career steroid injections.

getonbckthr
06-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah right. He juiced.

If he sticks around a few more years, he may also be able to tie Jose Canseco's record for the most career steroid injections.
http://www.jimrome.com/globalshell.HeaderLogoMap.Single.Image.jpg (rome@haveatake.com)
Allegedly.

drewcifer
06-16-2009, 08:59 PM

I recall Angels fans being extremely upset that Fisk broke Bob Boone's record. I was at an Angels game and heard fans saying Boone should come back to play a couple more games to get the record back.

It's disappointing that someone like Rodriguez should break Fisk's record, but I'm more disappointed that Omar Visquel broke Luis Aparicio's record at shortstop.

Really?

I'm pretty sure that Fisk had Boone beat before he retired and he caught more games with the Phils than the Angels anyway. And he retired with the Royals. And finally, the Angels had Parrish by the time Boone retired , so I guess I'm saying those fans were pretty silly.

I lived in El Toro in those days.

TDog
06-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Really?

I'm pretty sure that Fisk had Boone beat before he retired and he caught more games with the Phils than the Angels anyway. And he retired with the Royals. And finally, the Angels had Parrish by the time Boone retired , so I guess I'm saying those fans were pretty silly.

I lived in El Toro in those days.

I drove from Arizona to see the the White Sox play whenever they were in Anaheim (and I had a brother stationed at El Toro for a couple of those years). I'm just telling you what I heard. I rolled my eyes when I heard it, but that's what I heard.

And I don't think the steroid charges will keep Rodriguez from being elected in his first year of eligibility. I think voters will look at home run hitters and front-line pitchers with more suspicion.

Of course, I wouldn't vote for him.

Daver
06-16-2009, 09:20 PM
I drove from Arizona to see the the White Sox play whenever they were in Anaheim (and I had a brother stationed at El Toro for a couple of those years). I'm just telling you what I heard. I rolled my eyes when I heard it, but that's what I heard.

And I don't think the steroid charges will keep Rodriguez from being elected in his first year of eligibility. I think voters will look at home run hitters and front-line pitchers with more suspicion.

Mark McGwire's vote numbers have been declining instead of increasing, there will be no steroid era player inducted on the first year of eligibility, it will hurt guys like Greg Maddux and John Smoltz that truly belong to be in the hall.

drewcifer
06-16-2009, 09:22 PM

I loved going to their games in those days. They marched so many good/fun players through and we always caught the Sox when in town too.

Anyway, my guess is that Pudge will get in easily unless he does something monumentally stupid (i.e- Palmeiro) before his eligibility.

TDog
06-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Mark McGwire's vote numbers have been declining instead of increasing, there will be no steroid era player inducted on the first year of eligibility, it will hurt guys like Greg Maddux and John Smoltz that truly belong to be in the hall.

You might be right. But I've heard people who currently do Hall of Fame voting say they would vote for Rodriguez. I've heard that for Sosa, too, but that might change with the New York Times story.

I believe the home run hitters and Clemens are less easily forgiven.

Oblong
06-16-2009, 10:41 PM
I believe he'll get in on the first try.

The voters will weigh the effects they think steroids had on their career. With McGwire and Sosa it's obvious they were nowhere near HOF caliber players until everybody suspected they were juicing. I don't believe Rodriguez carries that stigma, and I don't think Alex Rodriguez will either. The voters will make their own decision that they think he was a HOFer without them. He didn't need it.

I'm on the fence on what I think will happen with Clemens. He was such a tool about it.

(Keep in mind I'm talking about what I think will happen, not what I think should happen. I also have no real love for Iven Rodriguez because he was a Tiger.)