PDA

View Full Version : Crosstown Classic - Do you even care?

chisoxfanatic
06-16-2009, 07:42 PM
I really think the Sox/Cubs series have become completely stale, especially since we won the World Series. How about you?

JB98
06-16-2009, 07:44 PM
I care, but only because the Sox need to win these games in order to move up in the AL Central standings.

Frankly, the Crosstown Classic is just irritating. Like it or not, the Cubs and their fan culture have to be a part of our lives during these six days. The rest of the year, we can concentrate on our Sox and ignore those dopes, if we so choose.

Rohan
06-16-2009, 07:45 PM
I was a little annoyed when Konerko kept saying that there are many Sox fans who would rather the Sox beat the Cubs in the series than the Sox win a world series. I hope that that is not true AT ALL.

The games are slightly important for us as fans because they allow us to live our lives in peace without annoying Cubs fans breathing down our necks and telling us that we're fans of a second class team. This DOES happen. And winning this series really does help shut them up a little bit.

But all things being the same, statistically, this is just another interleague series. And it should be thought of as such, nothing like a playoff series

MarySwiss
06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
I care, but only because the Sox need to win these games in order to move up in the AL Central standings.

Frankly, the Crosstown Classic is just irritating. Like it or not, the Cubs and their fan culture have to be a part of our lives during these six days. The rest of the year, we can concentrate on our Sox and ignore those dopes, if we so choose.

Could not have said it better, JB! :cool:

getonbckthr
06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Born, raised and still living on the northwest side I love these 6 games. Win or lose its a blast between me and my friends which is pretty close to split down the middle. I prefer the games Friday-Sunday opposed to during the week.

mcg
06-16-2009, 07:47 PM
I've never cared for it but I understand MLB likes to do the regional rivalries during interleague. I'd prefer if they kept it to one three game series per season.

sox1970
06-16-2009, 07:50 PM
The games themselves are still fun to watch. It's all the other stuff that's stale--the interviews with the fans on the street, the local news coverage, the media in general making this out to be more important than it is.

I don't think the 2005 team has anything to with it. I just think real fans have it in better perspective 13 years into this interleague stuff. Yeah, we get it...they play six times a year and in the long run, they'll split the wins evenly.

BigP50
06-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I care more about getting the wins, but if we can beat the Cubs in the process, I love it.

angiew
06-16-2009, 08:08 PM
I hate interleague play no matter who it's against.

sox1970
06-16-2009, 08:09 PM

I've given up on that fight. It's never going away.

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I don't care as much as I used to, but it's still nice to beat the Cubs.

getonbckthr
06-16-2009, 08:18 PM
So I guess you hate BlackHawks vs Penguins/Canadiens/Rangers/Flyers, or Bears vs Patriots/Colts/Jets/Steelers or Bulls vs Lakers/Spurs/Nuggets/Mavericks

chisoxfanatic
06-16-2009, 08:20 PM
So I guess you hate BlackHawks vs Penguins/Canadiens/Rangers/Flyers, or Bears vs Patriots/Colts/Jets/Steelers or Bulls vs Lakers/Spurs/Nuggets/Mavericks
The NHL, NFL, and NBA have been doing it for a long time. Baseball was the one sport that kept teams playing only their leagues until the championship round for a very long time. It's not the same.

DSpivack
06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
The NHL, NFL, and NBA have been doing it for a long time. Baseball was the one sport that kept teams playing only their leagues until the championship round for a very long time. It's not the same.

I could see the equivalent in the NHL as bemoaning the loss of the Campbell and Wales Conferences, although not in terms of playing one another.

chisoxfanatic
06-16-2009, 08:41 PM
I could see the equivalent in the NHL as bemoaning the loss of the Campbell and Wales Conferences, although not in terms of playing one another.
If they brought those names back, do you think Brian Campbell would think the conference was named after himself? :redneck

DSpivack
06-16-2009, 08:41 PM
If they brought those names back, do you think Brian Campbell would think the conference was named after himself? :redneck

Well played. :tongue:

ChicagoHoosier
06-16-2009, 08:45 PM
All my friends are Cubs fans, or at least 80%. I love these two series and the extra attention the local media gives it.

Hitmen77
06-16-2009, 08:45 PM

I agree 100%!

These games are just irritating. I have absolutely no interest in attending any Crosstown Classic game in person. Why would I want to go only to be surrounded by a park full of total assclowns (from both sides of town).

I haven't heard when today's game will be made up. If I'm lucky, it'll be on a day that I'm out of town.

TDog
06-16-2009, 09:02 PM

None of those other sports leagues has interleague play. None tolerates the existence of other leagues.

The NBA never played the ABA. The Indiana Pacers didn't play NBA teams until they gave up the red, white and blue ball. I believe the AFL never played the NFL except in the Super Bowl until the leagues merged, and when the did, I believe at least one or two of the old NFL teams went to the AFC. There might have been some regular season interleague play, but I would have missed it because I wasn't watching football.

I don't think the NHL ever had interleague play. It just kept expanding. I don't think they ever played games against World Hockey Association, but the NHL accepted a few WHA teams as expansion teams -- the Edmonton Oilers but not the Chicago Cougars.

The NFL, NBA and NHL essentially put their competing leagues out of business. The NBA always rejected the ABA's challenge for a series between their champions.

Baseball's interleague play is unique and a little odd, particularly considering the American and National leagues play with different rules, something I don't have a problem with. It isn't like the ABA and NBA, which played with different rules, had games where they compromised on which rules to use. The three-point field goal in basketball was an ABA innovation that the NBA adapted long after the Pittsburgh Condors were a faint memory.

The games between the White Sox and the Cubs used to mean more when there weren't any thoughts of championships in the city. The White Sox won one, of course. That made Cubs fans think it couldn't be so difficult that the Cubs couldn't win one too.

Gavin
06-16-2009, 09:08 PM
I sense a sort of elitism to dislike the Sox playing the Cubs, which I find amazing since it brings a lot, in my opinion, to a city that's already knee deep in sports culture. To me it's really fun to rib back and forth with friends and coworkers.

The fact that it has seemed to come right after the NHL and NBA end their seasons is like a stubborn Chicago insistence to keep sports at a ridiculous head-first turbo pace.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind 3 games a year against the Cubs...

WhiteSox1989
06-16-2009, 09:08 PM
This is going to sound stupid, but I try so hard to not care about this. I tell myself that. I tell other people that. But I have a bad temper. I can't help it. I have been hearing all week about how Sox fans can't fill up their ballpark, Sox fans care more about the Cubs, and was asked questions such as "Do you think the Cubs will take 2 or 3?".

This is all trivial, because obviously it doesn't affect my life in the long run in anyway. So I just keep my mouth shut.

chisoxfanatic
06-16-2009, 09:14 PM
None of those other sports leagues has interleague play. None tolerates the existence of other leagues.
The context of the word "League" is the same as "Conference" in the other 3.

drewcifer
06-16-2009, 09:17 PM

I want the Sox to win games and move up in the standings too, but playing the Cubs doesn't do this. We could sweep the Cubs and not move an inch if the Twins/Detroit do the same. If we were playing them, or even another in division team and wound up in a division record situation, this wouldn't be the case. Our pitchers hitting roughly 18 or 21 times a year can actually cost games and is a risk.

I voted get rid of it; I can't stand interleague games during the season.

*Edit - And STL is crushing DET so there's that. We move a .5 without ever playing. Interleague!!!11!!!1

SOXPHILE
06-16-2009, 09:27 PM
The 2005 season should have cured me of caring, and I told myself it did. But then, I remember 2006, with the Sox taking two of three at both parks (and damn near sweeping at the Cell) - and how awesome it was for the Cubs to have their faces rubbed in it, to see the World Champions banners at U.S. Cellular. A.J.'s 9th inning homerun at the Urinal. I was hoping that it was finally done as far as me getting all unnecessarily worked up over the whole thing. Cubs who ?

The disaster of the 2007 season, which included losing 5 of 6 to the Cubs, then getting swept in round 1 at Wrigley last year really pissed me off, but then, after the Sox returned the favor, I was happy, but not the way I was in prior years. They got 3 wins, avenged the previous week's sweep, bring on the next team.

This year there seems to be less hype, and much less anxiety on my part. I think a lot has to do with the series being in the middle of the week. I want the Sox to win, but whatever happens happens. The Cubs seem even more irrelevant to me now. Getting swept out of the playoffs the previous two season, when it was "their year" I think has tempered a tiny bit of Cubs fans assclown-ery. The Sox crashing the party last year by also making the playoffs, when they weren't supposed to helped. It also helps that I'm really not around any of said assclown Cub fans too much anymore at work, play, etc, outside of occasionally seeing one at a barbecue or the store or something.

LongLiveFisk
06-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I agree 100%!

These games are just irritating. I have absolutely no interest in attending any Crosstown Classic game in person. Why would I want to go only to be surrounded by a park full of total assclowns (from both sides of town).

I also agree. A lot of people think I'm nuts but I turn down every opportunity I get to go to these games. I will go see the White Sox play any team besides the Cubs. Someone else who enjoys that circus can gladly have my ticket.

Jerko
06-16-2009, 09:49 PM
I also agree. A lot of people think I'm nuts but I turn down every opportunity I get to go to these games. I will go see the White Sox play any team besides the Cubs. Someone else who enjoys that circus can gladly have my ticket.

I can get obnoxious with the best of em, but even I can't stand going to these games anymore, at either park. Wish they would rotate and just play one series every few years.

TDog
06-16-2009, 09:54 PM
The context of the word "League" is the same as "Conference" in the other 3.

Conferences within sports are completely different from the American and National leagues in baseball. Maybe younger fans don't see that. In football it has some relationship to the league the NFL put out of business, but otherwise it's generally geographical, with everyone playing by the same rules.

Conferences are just a way of managing a large number of teams in your league. The American and National leagues in baseball have independent identities that go back generations, even before the DH.

That's why so many people are so cold to interleague play.

PKalltheway
06-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Someone else who enjoys that circus can gladly have my ticket.
If I lived in Chicago, I would gladly take it.

I really enjoy the Cubs/Sox series. It was one of my most memorable moments as a baseball fan to get to see the Sox play the Cubs at Wrigley Field with my Dad (who is a Cubs fan), and my uncle (who is a Sox fan) some eight years ago. I had an absolute blast. I wish I could have the opportunity to experience going to one of those games once again, but I simply don't have the time, with work and all.

And no, this is not supposed to be in teal. Different strokes for different folks, I guess, but count me in as someone who enjoys the Sox/Cubs series.

voodoochile
06-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Conferences within sports are completely different from the American and National leagues in baseball. Maybe younger fans don't see that. In football it has some relationship to the league the NFL put out of business, but otherwise it's generally geographical, with everyone playing by the same rules.

Conferences are just a way of managing a large number of teams in your league. The American and National leagues in baseball have independent identities that go back generations, even before the DH.

That's why so many people are so cold to interleague play.

I normally agree with you, but in this case I can't. It's an argument in semantics, IMO. MLB is one league as sure as the NFL is one league. Yeah, they've got the stupid DH mess to clean up, but the players are all one union and the owners all split the national TV money. FOX doesn't sign separate contracts with the NL and let CBS have the AL (football actually does do this). MLB has been one league since 1901. The DH didn't come around until the 70's. That's a heck of a lot longer playing under one set of rules than it has playing under only mostly the same rules.

I understand where you're coming from and Lip has talked about how winning the pennant was often considered enough and the WS as gravy, but for most fans today, the season isn't over until the WS is and your team that won the pennant finished second if it didn't win the WS. More so now with multiple rounds of playoffs.

Argue the rules should be changed and the DH either banned or allowed in both leagues and argue that there should be less rounds of playoffs to make the regular season more meaningful, but arguing that MLB is really two separate leagues doesn't pass the sniff test, IMO.

veeter
06-16-2009, 10:14 PM
I look back at those '01 and '03 highlights and remember how crazy nervous I was. I'm not sure if it's because the Sox have won a championship or what, but the games are more FUN to me now, than nerve racking. I was really looking forward to today's game. I also know this...the Sox will win at least one more championship before the cubs ever do.

chisoxfanatic
06-16-2009, 10:18 PM
I thought a lot of that was diffused when the AL and NL offices merged and formed one MLB office.

BigP50
06-16-2009, 10:20 PM
I remember that GS by Carlos, I was only 8 and my parents were having a party, man that was nuts.

But I dont remember the Jose one.

soxfanreggie
06-16-2009, 10:47 PM
I like to bust my friends' chops when the Sox beat the Cubs, just as they like to bust mine when the Cubs play the Sox. It's also the only time besides spring training that we can go watch a game together and see our favorite teams together.

chisoxfanatic
06-16-2009, 10:54 PM
I like to bust my friends' chops when the Sox beat the Cubs, just as they like to bust mine when the Cubs play the Sox. It's also the only time besides spring training that we can go watch a game together and see our favorite teams together.
Well, do they realize that you have the upper-hand until they can break their "curse?" :cool:

Marqhead
06-16-2009, 10:59 PM

I agree here completely. The fans might get annoying and sure the games aren't as meaningful as division rivalry games, but I like the back and forth between friends and family members.

On top of that, I've been to a lot of memorable Sox-Cubs games:

Jose's walkoff
Billy Koch's pitchouts
Barrett Punches AJ (Iguchi GS)
Game 3 of the sweep at the Cell last year

I don't put more stock in these games, but I'd be lying if I said I don't get excited for them.

HomeFish
06-16-2009, 11:06 PM
The crosstown series is when all the casual baseball fans come out of the woodwork. They talk crap to each other at work and such.

BigP50
06-16-2009, 11:11 PM
the only times when I dont like the series is when the Sox lose, cause most of my friends like the Cubs.

John Barrett
06-16-2009, 11:29 PM
don't understand it anymore .. we won the arms race in 05... that is the only prize!!! just another 6 games on the schedule .. let them worry about :)the 6 games ..let us worry about the WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!!

TheOldRoman
06-16-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't get much pleasure from beating the Cubs, but I hate losing to them. I wish we didn't play them at all.

Also, I am sick of all Cubs fans acting like 5 year olds about this series. It is the biggest thing in the world for them (which it was also for many Sox fans before the championship), and they obsess over beating the Sox. When they lose, "it never happened". I don't talk trash, and I don't like hearing trash talk from random co-workers. When the Cubs win, we never hear the end of it. However, then the Sox win, baseball is almost non-existent to those people.

I remember last year when Aramis hit the walk off on Friday, I heard women in different cubes cheering clapping at work. They had their W flags up and everything for the next week. Everyone knows I am a Sox fan because I have stuff up on my desk, but I only talk to friends (civilly) at work about baseball. For the next week, I had women who had just moved to the state a couple years earlier and don't know what a bunt is talking trash to me about baseball. Well, after the Sox swept the Cubs, suddenly it was like Chicago didn't have a baseball team at all. Not a word was said for the rest of the year. If you mention anything about baseball, you get the response "big deal".

TDog
06-16-2009, 11:53 PM
I normally agree with you, but in this case I can't. It's an argument in semantics, IMO. MLB is one league as sure as the NFL is one league. Yeah, they've got the stupid DH mess to clean up, but the players are all one union and the owners all split the national TV money. FOX doesn't sign separate contracts with the NL and let CBS have the AL (football actually does do this). MLB has been one league since 1901. The DH didn't come around until the 70's. That's a heck of a lot longer playing under one set of rules than it has playing under only mostly the same rules.

I understand where you're coming from and Lip has talked about how winning the pennant was often considered enough and the WS as gravy, but for most fans today, the season isn't over until the WS is and your team that won the pennant finished second if it didn't win the WS. More so now with multiple rounds of playoffs.

Argue the rules should be changed and the DH either banned or allowed in both leagues and argue that there should be less rounds of playoffs to make the regular season more meaningful, but arguing that MLB is really two separate leagues doesn't pass the sniff test, IMO.

First of all, I am delighted to read that you usually agree with me. If everyone agreed with me, there would be no reason to post, but yours is an opinion I particularly value. And I could be wrong in that it may be that only a minority of people still distinguish between the leagues.

Still, I believe the number of people who dislike interleague play are evidence that many people believe there is a difference between the two leagues, which agreed not to raid each other in 1901, agreed to an annual World Series in 1905 and agreed to a commissioner in 1920. They were certainly two leagues when I began watching baseball in the 1960s. Each had its own character. I believe that is still the case. the DH perpetuates that, and I don't see any serious effort to bring both leagues under a single set of rules.

It may be that the conferences in football have individual character. But people still seem to care more about the baseball All-Star Game than they do the all-star games in other sports, and I believe that has to do with fans identifying with leagues to a much greater degree than they identify with conferences in other sports. If people didn't care, there wouldn't be so much debate about the fan voting and determining home-field advantage for the World Series.

Leading the American League in hitting or home runs carries more weight than leading the NBA Western Conference in scoring. I think there remains individuality to the baseball leagues that don't exist in conferences of other sports.

Honestly, I have no problem with the American League playing with a DH and the National League considering it a perversion of the game. Baseball doesn't seem to think there is a problem either. The American League DH rule is older than a lot of the people who post here.

Even if I'm wrong, I don't think I'm wrong to suggest there is a difference between interleague baseball games in baseball and interconference games in the NBA or NHL.

DonnieDarko
06-16-2009, 11:55 PM
I <3 me some Crosstown Classic.

BadBobbyJenks
06-17-2009, 01:01 AM
It is hip to hate this series now.

I still love it.

Nellie_Fox
06-17-2009, 01:09 AM
I hate interleague play no matter who it's against.Me too.

I've given up on that fight. It's never going away.So what? I can still hate it.

All my friends are Cubs fans, or at least 80%. You need new friends.

The context of the word "League" is the same as "Conference" in the other 3.No, it's not. At least it wasn't historically, until Bud decided to screw with history.

the only times when I dont like the series is when the Sox lose, cause most of my friends like the Cubs.You also need new friends.

guillensdisciple
06-17-2009, 02:14 AM
In terms of rivalry I don't care, but I want to see the Sox win.

Go White Sox!!

pilotsox
06-17-2009, 02:22 AM
My brother is the typical Cubs fan. I still love him, but nonetheless, I'll spend the next several days wanting to punch several of his teeth out. This series is important to me as three Sox games that must be won, like the 159 others, but on some distinct sentimental level? Not a chance.

central44
06-17-2009, 04:07 AM
I really want to win the series, but only so i don't have to hear it from Cub fans. If the Sox lose, it will be miserable. If they win...it will at least be peaceful, I guess.

I'm not a trash talker. When it comes to this series, it feels like I have nothing to gain and everything to lose. I wish it would end but I know thats not going to happen.

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2009, 06:29 AM
Most everything with which I agree already has been posted.

The games with the Cubs became a lot less important after October 26, 2005.

I actually like interleague play and think there should be more of it, to the point that everyone plays everyone every year, with interleague play spread throughout a 174-game season (3 home, 3 away v. all 29 teams). But I know I'm in the minority on this.

(This would obviate the need for divisions, so I'd just have the top two teams meet for the World Series. Then I'd also have a single-elimination postseason NCAA-style tournament for the top 16 teams.)

Taliesinrk
06-17-2009, 07:10 AM
I like interleague only for the Sox-Cubs series. Other than that, I'd like it if they took it old school, and had two separate leagues again... I liked it when there was that rivalry between the leagues and it was decided (kind of) twice a year during the world series and all-star games.

That said, my one thing left to do as a Sox fan is hit up a Sox-Cubs game. Of course I get a call last night at 10:30 offering 5th row tickets for free. Of course, I'm in indy and have to work. It's going to be a long day... :whiner:

parlaycard
06-17-2009, 08:05 AM
I was a little annoyed when Konerko kept saying that there are many Sox fans who would rather the Sox beat the Cubs in the series than the Sox win a world series. I hope that that is not true AT ALL.

The Sox actually have a chance at beating the Cubs, They have ZERO chance at winning the world series

rwcescato
06-17-2009, 08:10 AM

It doesnt mean as much as it used to. I could not sleep the day before
these games in the past. Now its just another game. But it would be nice if a 6 game sweep of the cubs would happen.

BadBobbyJenks
06-17-2009, 08:59 AM
This World Series Championship reason why this rivalry doesn't mean anyhing anymore doesn't make sense to me. Does Notre Dame/Michigan lose its luster after one team wins it all? (Cue the ND will never win it jokes:rolleyes:)

It is still the Sox vs the Cubs two fun weeks of talking **** between friends. Rivalries are what makes sports so fun and winning a title doesn't change that except for the season no longer depends on what happens these 6 games for some fans.

voodoochile
06-17-2009, 09:09 AM
First of all, I am delighted to read that you usually agree with me. If everyone agreed with me, there would be no reason to post, but yours is an opinion I particularly value. And I could be wrong in that it may be that only a minority of people still distinguish between the leagues.

Still, I believe the number of people who dislike interleague play are evidence that many people believe there is a difference between the two leagues, which agreed not to raid each other in 1901, agreed to an annual World Series in 1905 and agreed to a commissioner in 1920. They were certainly two leagues when I began watching baseball in the 1960s. Each had its own character. I believe that is still the case. the DH perpetuates that, and I don't see any serious effort to bring both leagues under a single set of rules.

It may be that the conferences in football have individual character. But people still seem to care more about the baseball All-Star Game than they do the all-star games in other sports, and I believe that has to do with fans identifying with leagues to a much greater degree than they identify with conferences in other sports. If people didn't care, there wouldn't be so much debate about the fan voting and determining home-field advantage for the World Series.

Leading the American League in hitting or home runs carries more weight than leading the NBA Western Conference in scoring. I think there remains individuality to the baseball leagues that don't exist in conferences of other sports.

Honestly, I have no problem with the American League playing with a DH and the National League considering it a perversion of the game. Baseball doesn't seem to think there is a problem either. The American League DH rule is older than a lot of the people who post here.

Even if I'm wrong, I don't think I'm wrong to suggest there is a difference between interleague baseball games in baseball and interconference games in the NBA or NHL.

I do agree about the interleague game stuff. I think most fans are tired of it. This year seems to be a bit cooler because the ALC is playing the NLC so there are more natural rivalries to be explored. It certainly is cooler to be playing Milwaukee and Cinci than it is Arizona or the Braves. At least it's easier for the fans to travel to also, but I don't think most people give a crap about these games other than the intercity "rivalries". Like it or not even if they did away with the rest of interleague play, those games would remain because they are big draws - though I don't know about LAAAA/LAD, SF/OAK being successful. NY/NY is well received but those teams draw well anyway. I'd imagine KC/STL probably draws pretty well also and maybe MIL/MIN and HOU/TEX. Most of the rest aren't anything special at all and I'd rather play more games in the AL even if it meant having to put up with the 6 flubbie games every year.

kittle42
06-17-2009, 09:11 AM
I still enjoy the games. Went to Murphy's last night waiting for the rain to stop before going into the Historic Bud Light Bleachers, but alas, it never happened.

I sold my tickets for today because I couldn't get a taker for my second ticket. Turned out to be a good move because I got hit with an emergency work assignment, anyway.

I still have tickets for tomorrow. I'll decide what to do with them by the end of the day. It would be nice to be able to go to one of these.

GoSox2K3
06-17-2009, 09:11 AM
I don't get much pleasure from beating the Cubs, but I hate losing to them. I wish we didn't play them at all.

Also, I am sick of all Cubs fans acting like 5 year olds about this series. It is the biggest thing in the world for them (which it was also for many Sox fans before the championship), and they obsess over beating the Sox. When they lose, "it never happened". I don't talk trash, and I don't like hearing trash talk from random co-workers. When the Cubs win, we never hear the end of it. However, then the Sox win, baseball is almost non-existent to those people.

..... If you mention anything about baseball, you get the response "big deal".

BINGO! This is exactly how I feel!

I really want to win the series, but only so i don't have to hear it from Cub fans. If the Sox lose, it will be miserable. If they win...it will at least be peaceful, I guess.

I'm not a trash talker. When it comes to this series, it feels like I have nothing to gain and everything to lose. I wish it would end but I know thats not going to happen.

Yep, if we lose then all the Cub fans come out to gloat. If we win, it's just a relief and everyone else acts like the game was irrelevant.

....but I guess that makes me an elitist who just wants to be hip. :rolleyes:

I sense a sort of elitism to dislike the Sox playing the Cubs, which I find amazing since it brings a lot, in my opinion, to a city that's already knee deep in sports culture.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind 3 games a year against the Cubs...

It is hip to hate this series now.

I still love it.

BadBobbyJenks
06-17-2009, 09:12 AM
I am off to Wrigleyville now to go meet with up some Cubs fans. Let a day of drinking and trash talking begin at 10 in the morning. How can you not love these games?

WhiteSoxFTW
06-17-2009, 09:17 AM

The games are slightly important for us as fans because they allow us to live our lives in peace without annoying Cubs fans breathing down our necks and telling us that we're fans of a second class team. This DOES happen. And winning this series really does help shut them up a little bit.

But all things being the same, statistically, this is just another interleague series. And it should be thought of as such, nothing like a playoff series

I was pretty sure he said "get to the playoffs" in his interview with Frank Thomas. That makes a lot more sense for him to say.

I remember last year when Aramis hit the walk off on Friday, I heard women in different cubes cheering clapping at work. They had their W flags up and everything for the next week. Everyone knows I am a Sox fan because I have stuff up on my desk, but I only talk to friends (civilly) at work about baseball. For the next week, I had women who had just moved to the state a couple years earlier and don't know what a bunt is talking trash to me about baseball. Well, after the Sox swept the Cubs, suddenly it was like Chicago didn't have a baseball team at all. Not a word was said for the rest of the year. If you mention anything about baseball, you get the response "big deal".

This is very true for the majority of Cubs fans. They are so in your face when the Cubs win, but when the Cubs lose, they won't listen to anyone. And, this isn't just limited to this series. But, there ARE real Cubs fans out there that aren't like this, and they actually realize the baseball significance of 6 games out of 162. I'm lucky enough that one of my best friends is like this and not like the idiots.

Warriorjan
06-17-2009, 09:41 AM
I am "old school" I guess, but I still believe the two leagues are different. I voted against interleague play partly because of that, I would rather just play the NL in the All-Star game and the World Series. If we have to have interleague play, I would rather play the Cubs only once. I liked going to Milwaukee much more than playing the Cubs. I hate these games because of all the people who act like idiots that the games attract and the incessant trash-talking. I don't even want to discuss them with my rational, true Cubs fans friends. I go to one game at Sox Park because it's a group thing we do every year, but would be just as happy to go to none and to simply leave town.

jdm2662
06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
If both fanbases didn't act like complete jackasses during these games, I might enjoy them. Since they do, I don't, and refuse to go to any of these games.

In the end, I want the White Sox to win because winning is better than losing in the standings...

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Considering the fact that both teams are dead even W-L, and the Sox hold a SLIGHT run scoring advantage, all this series does is eat up 6 games of a 162 game season. AFAIAC, it means nothing. It's 6 games that I hope the Sox win series out of to move them up in the AL Central.

I want Danks to pitch well today. Not because it's the Cubs, but because he's starting. That's the end of it for me.

ChiSoxGirl
06-17-2009, 10:45 AM
I agree 100%!

I haven't heard when today's game will be made up. If I'm lucky, it'll be on a day that I'm out of town.

I'm thrilled because for the second year in a row, I'm out of town for the series at Wrigley; last year it was Georgia, this year it's Florida! However, my friend and I went to dinner around 6p yesterday and came home right afterwards so we could watch the game. He and I were both disappointed that it ended up being postponed. It was going to be so much fun watching with him, since I got him to be "fond" of the Sox last year. We settled for Cardinals/Tigers and the end result of that game definitely benefited us! I watch these Sox/Cubs games regardless, it's just a lot easier to do when I'm 1000 miles away from the action at The Shrine!

pilotsox
06-17-2009, 11:01 AM
They are so in your face when the Cubs win, but when the Cubs lose, they won't listen to anyone. And, this isn't just limited to this series.

I live with one of these people. And it's funny, because I've been away from Chicago for the last half of my life so I don't interact with Cubs fans much, other than him. So when he does some ridiculous crap like gloating about one three-game sweep in June, I usually write him off as a lone idiot in Flubbie Nation. But according to what I've read in this thread, he is a carbon copy of 99% of the little ****ers.

ShoelessJoeS
06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
It always makes for a very exciting series. Get rid of it? Absolutely not.

TDog
06-17-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm thrilled because for the second year in a row, I'm out of town for the series at Wrigley; last year it was Georgia, this year it's Florida! ...

That reminds me how disappointed I was last summer with my trip to Chicago. I hadn't been in the area since July 2003, when I moved from Wisconsin. I attended a convention in Chicago last June, and it coincided with the Sox at Wrigley. It was like the Sox being out of town.

First of all, I do not believe I could get tickets. I never pay above face value, so I wouldn't have dealt with the brokers, even the legal ones. Also, I don't want to deal with Wrigley Field. I went to a few games there when I was a kid and it appears only to have gotten worse.

I did get to see the Sox beat the Pirates before that awful series against the Cubs. I followed the first two Cubs games on my laptop in McCormick Place, where I couldn't get radio reception. Of course, people from all over the country were wearing Cubs stuff they had bought as souvenirs of Chicago. I even saw a Fukudome jersey.

My trip ended at O'Hare. I was listening to the Sunday night game on my radio (it was ridiculous to play on a Sunday night when they didn't even play on the Friday night that weekend) when a Cubs fan woman at the gate was getting excited about the Cubs beating up on the Sox and telling me this was the year they were going to win the World Series and I should get excited for them. I told her the Cubs were going to get to the World Series let alone win it. Stuff will go wrong. Stuff always goes wrong.

As I was boarding my plane for San Francisco, she let me know the Cubs had scored again (WOO HOO!) and this was their year. I really hated baseball that weekend.

soxpride724
06-17-2009, 12:14 PM
I would rather use those six games for a diffrent National League team each season. If you want to make it "special" have them play each other every couple of years.

Hitmen77
06-17-2009, 01:11 PM
My trip ended at O'Hare. I was listening to the Sunday night game on my radio (it was ridiculous to play on a Sunday night when they didn't even play on the Friday night that weekend) when a Cubs fan woman at the gate was getting excited about the Cubs beating up on the Sox and telling me this was the year they were going to win the World Series and I should get excited for them. I told her the Cubs were going to get to the World Series let alone win it. Stuff will go wrong. Stuff always goes wrong.

As I was boarding my plane for San Francisco, she let me know the Cubs had scored again (WOO HOO!) and this was their year. I really hated baseball that weekend.

I bet she was laying low the following weekend.

I wonder if she took her own advice and "got excited" for the Sox when they made the playoffs last year. For some reason, I doubt it.

TDog
06-17-2009, 01:30 PM
I bet she was laying low the following weekend.

I wonder if she took her own advice and "got excited" for the Sox when they made the playoffs last year. For some reason, I doubt it.

It wasn't just the Chicago people -- and the Cubs stuff up and down Michigan Avenue was everywhere with almost no mention of the White Sox. The out-of-town people at the convention were getting into the Go-Cubs-Go thing, which I found particularly irritating.

The only pleasant baseball-related thing I saw that weekend was in Chinatown when I went out to dinner Friday night. There was a party a couple of tables away with men dressed in White Sox and Cubs jerseys. They were civil to each other and were obviously very good friends even after the Cubs won a game that should have belonged to the White Sox. Elsewhere it wasn't about civility and friendship.

It's like White Sox fans are in a no-win situation in the series. There is senseless taunting if the Sox lose, but if the Sox win, Cubs fans suddenly don't care.

soxjim
06-17-2009, 06:47 PM
I just want to see a SOX win over any team. While working out today, I did cheer the last out. In the parking lot afterward, 2 cub fans asked me the last time the SOX won the division back to back. I just smiled with my World Series 2005 hat.

LongLiveFisk
06-17-2009, 08:01 PM
In the parking lot afterward, 2 cub fans asked me the last time the SOX won the division back to back. I just smiled with my World Series 2005 hat.

You should have asked them how the parade was to honor that monumental achievement.

johnnyg83
06-17-2009, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't mind 3 games a year, but the truth is since we won the WS it's not nearly as important as it used to be. Sweep us all you want, we got da ring.

kevingrt
06-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Fun time. Gets casual fans drunk. Always funny some of the things you see. I enjoy it. Keep it.

I would not mind a cut back to three games a year though.

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2009, 08:14 PM
To be honest with you, yea it's AWESOME when we win (like today...woo hoo!). But, when we lose, it's downright awful! When we lose, we have to hear from a bunch of people. It can sometimes be worse than losing to the Twins...All I have to hear from is Timberwolf in that case (I wonder where he's been lately...lol...his new "favorite" NHL team Red Wings lost...haha!).

MarySwiss
06-17-2009, 08:20 PM
I just want to see a SOX win over any team. While working out today, I did cheer the last out. In the parking lot afterward, 2 cub fans asked me the last time the SOX won the division back to back. I just smiled with my World Series 2005 hat.

You should have asked them how the parade was to honor that monumental achievement.

Or pointed out that you were pretty sure the Sox had never won back-to-back division titles only to get SWEPT back-to-back!

getonbckthr
06-17-2009, 08:20 PM
My favorite Crosstown Classic Moment was during the AJ-Barrett altercation when Anderson came flying in from 1st base and completely knocked out John Mabry. The combination of being a Sox fan, a FOBA and for some reason my dislike of John Mabry all came into one.

1908<2005
06-17-2009, 08:25 PM
I hate how we have to play the Cubs 6 times a year while the Indians get the Reds 6 times a year. (Not that the Indians are relevant this year).

AnkleSox
06-17-2009, 08:34 PM
I hate how we have to play the Cubs 6 times a year while the Indians get the Reds 6 times a year. (Not that the Indians are relevant this year).

For the first time in a long time, this is probably a more legitimate gripe for Cubs fans than Sox fans. The Reds are actually competitive while the Indians are the doormat of the Central.

twsoxfan5
06-17-2009, 08:37 PM
My favorite Cubs vs. Sox story is that the guy that lives behind my dad in Tinley is a Cubs fan and he puts up that dumb flag every time the Cubs win. Well during last year's playoffs this guy goes up on his roof and he spends all day putting a giant W of Christmas lights on his roof to light when the Cubs win a game. Well as you know this guy did not get to light his rooftop W once and when my Dad tells this story you can just see his eyes light up. I love that this guy lights a fire under my Dad as it makes me think about how great Sox fans are. We are all about our team and not about gimmicks and stupid flags. This has been passed down to us from many of our fathers and I am so proud to be a Sox fan and I love getting to post here with other amazing Sox fans!

soxjim
06-17-2009, 09:29 PM
My favorite Cubs vs. Sox story is that the guy that lives behind my dad in Tinley is a Cubs fan and he puts up that dumb flag every time the Cubs win. Well during last year's playoffs this guy goes up on his roof and he spends all day putting a giant W of Christmas lights on his roof to light when the Cubs win a game. Well as you know this guy did not get to light his rooftop W once and when my Dad tells this story you can just see his eyes light up. I love that this guy lights a fire under my Dad as it makes me think about how great Sox fans are. We are all about our team and not about gimmicks and stupid flags. This has been passed down to us from many of our fathers and I am so proud to be a Sox fan and I love getting to post here with other amazing Sox fans!

You are right, SOX fans are not worried about gimmicks just good baseball. We have 2 houses in Rockford that fly W flags when they win. Also one house will fly the L flag when they lose. It was neat to see the L flag wear out in 2005. Topping that was our World Series triumph.

Shoeless
06-17-2009, 09:33 PM
You are right, SOX fans are not worried about gimmicks just good baseball. We have 2 houses in Rockford that fly W flags when they win. Also one house will fly the L flag when they lose. It was neat to see the L flag wear out in 2005. Topping that was our World Series triumph.

I was at Triple Threat in Mokena and I saw they had W shirts. I had a buddy at school who always wears them. I recently also noticed that Triple Threat has blue L shirts. One of those shirts was put to good use today, much to the dismay of my classmate.

BadBobbyJenks
06-17-2009, 09:35 PM
I just got home. I had a fantastic day in Wrigleyville.

Funny they kicked me out in the 9th inning for doing the same thing I was doing the whole game. I thought I was kidding around with the people in my section but all of a sudden in the 9th inning I was kicked out.

On my walk of shame out of the stadium I was asking the guy why I was being kicked out and he said honestly I dont know, but my boss said you have to go.

Shoeless
06-17-2009, 09:51 PM
I just got home. I had a fantastic day in Wrigleyville.

Funny they kicked me out in the 9th inning for doing the same thing I was doing the whole game. I thought I was kidding around with the people in my section but all of a sudden in the 9th inning I was kicked out.

On my walk of shame out of the stadium I was asking the guy why I was being kicked out and he said honestly I dont know, but my boss said you have to go.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5833/goatsmall.jpg
"baaaaaa! That one! Right there! He's paying too much attention!!!!"

hawkjt
06-17-2009, 09:51 PM
It is sweet, I am listening to Jeff Dickerson and Finfer on Chicago Baseball tonite and they are both agreeing that they are not fired up for Sox-cubs anymore...and it is no fun anymore...ect..ect...whine,whine...pout,pout...

Both are avowed Cub Fans....it figures.

WhiteSox1989
06-17-2009, 09:55 PM
I will say the best game was 2006. Everything about the game was fantastic. Especially with it being the first time to play the Cubs since the World Series. Then Gooch hitting the grand slam right after the fight..amazing.

And as someone else said, BA coming out of nowhere like a ninja taking down Mabry was also pretty sweet.

PKalltheway
06-18-2009, 12:10 AM
:scratch::?:The Reds have a 13-8 record against Cleveland since 2006. Not a spectacular record, but they're no pushover either.

russ99
06-18-2009, 12:25 AM
I will say the best game was 2006. Everything about the game was fantastic. Especially with it being the first time to play the Cubs since the World Series. Then Gooch hitting the grand slam right after the fight..amazing.

And as someone else said, BA coming out of nowhere like a ninja taking down Mabry was also pretty sweet.

Don't forget Pods going after Barrett, who outweighed him by probably 150 pounds... :D:

Who knows, maybe Zambozo does something stupid tomorrow and we get to relive the fun yet again...

StillMissOzzie
06-18-2009, 12:35 AM
It's more fun when one or both are in a heated pennant race, but I always enjoy watching the Sox beat up on the pathetics.

SMO
:gulp:

FielderJones
06-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Fun time. Gets casual fans drunk. Always funny some of the things you see. I enjoy it. Keep it.

Kass addresses (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-kass-jun18,0,2635367.column) the ugliness that is the Crosstown Classic.

Jenks4Prez
06-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Nothing beats Cubs/Sox. As a Chicagoan it is by far and away the best rivalry in sports these days.

ewokpelts
06-18-2009, 01:57 PM
i love making mad cash off cub fans

mweflen
06-25-2009, 02:37 AM
Personally, I'd rather more Sox-Brewers as opposed to Sox-Cubs. I had way more fun at Miller Park this year than I had at Wrigley.

They should cut the crosstown stuff to one series a year and alternate parks. That way we can actually see some of the rest of the NL Central once in a while.

We've just had so many stinking Sox-Cubs games lately that they're not special at all any more. It's ab out as special as watching the Devil Rays.

BUT...

It's big money on both ends. No way it gets cut back. Sigh.

NorthSideSox72
06-25-2009, 09:12 AM
I like it. You pack the stadium for 3 games, you get a nice heated rivalry... its a good time.

But I'd like them to change the interleague formatting to more like football (I think someone else mentioned this too). You play your rival team twice, as usual, fine. But then you rotate divisions yearly - west, central, east each year. This gives you a better balanced schedule, IMO, and you get to see each time play the Sox every three years.

Chez
06-25-2009, 09:32 AM
In general, I think the Crosstown Classic brings out the worst in all of us -- on both sides of town -- unleashing the inner 12 year old in grown men and women. But I still love it when we beat the Cubs! I'll be at the Cell on Friday and Sunday likely acting like a fool.

cub killer
06-26-2009, 01:17 AM
We as fans have to get loud as hell during these games, and keep rubbing it in to cub fans that we won the World Series and they did not. And that we at least won a playoff game last year while they got swept. Any time we are quiet, they'll take advantage of that and make their own annoying noise, even though they have no right to since they've gone 101 freakin' years without a World Series title.

The game being played on the field isn't the only game being played in the stadium. It's also us vs. them. Let's grab the bull by the horns and kick some cub ass, as fans. If The Cell is too hostile an environment for them, hopefully flub fans will stop coming there. And that would be a good thing.

I fully expect Sox fans to be rocking the house tomorrow afternoon (it should be a night game, though), making cub fans feel like they are in a cauldron of pain. Never stop reminding them that 101 years without winning your league's title (and 64 without making the final 2) is the saddest statistic in all of sports. Remember, those idiots will never shut up until we shut them up.

JB98
06-26-2009, 01:47 AM
I'm not excited about this weekend. Glad I got rid of my tickets.

Blueprint1
06-26-2009, 08:38 AM
We as fans have to get loud as hell during these games, and keep rubbing it in to cub fans that we won the World Series and they did not. And that we at least won a playoff game last year while they got swept. Any time we are quiet, they'll take advantage of that and make their own annoying noise, even though they have no right to since they've gone 101 freakin' years without a World Series title.

The game being played on the field isn't the only game being played in the stadium. It's also us vs. them. Let's grab the bull by the horns and kick some cub ass, as fans. If The Cell is too hostile an environment for them, hopefully flub fans will stop coming there. And that would be a good thing.

I fully expect Sox fans to be rocking the house tomorrow afternoon (it should be a night game, though), making cub fans feel like they are in a cauldron of pain. Never stop reminding them that 101 years without winning your league's title (and 64 without making the final 2) is the saddest statistic in all of sports. Remember, those idiots will never shut up until we shut them up.

This post is the exact reason why I think this series sucks.

rdwj
06-26-2009, 10:51 AM
I like it, but I wish it was one series a year in alternating parks.

g0g0
06-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Anything that can put a hurt on the Northside is a good thing. Especially when the Pale Hose are doing it!

ChiSoxGirl
06-26-2009, 11:11 AM

I'm with you. I wish I cared more about this series, but I just don't. I was offered tickets to this series on two different occasions and I turned them both down because I just don't want to deal with it. I'm going up to Milwaukee for Summerfest later and will definitely be having friends update me via text because I still care if the Sox win or lose, I just don't care as much as I used to pre-2005 that their opponent is the Cubs.

Lip Man 1
06-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Great column:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1640723,CST-SPT-joe26.article

Lip

jabrch
06-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Great column:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1640723,CST-SPT-joe26.article

Lip

Really?

What was great about it? Felt like wasted space to me. I don't think he told us anything we didn't see/hear/read already.

chisoxfanatic
06-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I was unable to sell my ticket online, so I am going today. Hopefully it's another game that resembles that wonderful 10-3 win I was at last year.

Cat Thief
06-26-2009, 02:37 PM
i love making mad cash off cub fans

All time series is tied and your making money?

Interesting.

thomas35forever
06-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Don't take him seriously. He made this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2075763&postcount=445)post when the Cubs got swept out of the playoffs last year.

Jerko
06-26-2009, 03:02 PM
All time series is tied and your making money?

Interesting.

I'm assuming he means by selling his tickets. :scratch:

areilly
06-26-2009, 03:24 PM
We as fans have to get loud as hell during these games, and keep rubbing it in to cub fans that we won the World Series and they did not. And that we at least won a playoff game last year while they got swept.

That was awesome when you, CK, hit that double off of Roy Oswalt, and also awesome when you, CK, struck out the side against Tampa Bay.

Cat Thief
06-26-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm assuming he means by selling his tickets. :scratch:

Me and my one-track mind.

TommyJohn
06-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Don't take him seriously. He made this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2075763&postcount=445)post when the Cubs got swept out of the playoffs last year.

That was an absolute embarrassment.

KingXerxes
06-26-2009, 09:02 PM
I hate to sound like an old fart - and I know I'm late to this thread - but I wish they'd get rid of interleague play altogether.

Windy City
06-26-2009, 10:12 PM
I love interleague play. I think there should be more of it. I know arguments are made about White Sox-Pirates tilts or Cubs-Mariners clashes, but there are a bunch of no so energy filled series like White Sox-Baltimore or Cubs-Giants. It is silly that MLB is the only major pro sport that has just gotten around to the leagues (conferences) playing each other.

Shoeless
06-26-2009, 10:17 PM
I love interleague play. I think there should be more of it. I know arguments are made about White Sox-Pirates tilts or Cubs-Mariners clashes, but there are a bunch of no so energy filled series like White Sox-Baltimore or Cubs-Giants. It is silly that MLB is the only major pro sport that has just gotten around to the leagues (conferences) playing each other.

I support getting rid of it or making it bigger. I like it, but it just seems like it messes up scheduling a lot having the cubs/sox play twice a year while KC and StL go together. I know that shouldn't be a factor, but ultimately it doesn't seem right.

Windy City
06-26-2009, 10:34 PM
I support getting rid of it or making it bigger. I like it, but it just seems like it messes up scheduling a lot having the cubs/sox play twice a year while KC and StL go together. I know that shouldn't be a factor, but ultimately it doesn't seem right.

Well, Cardinals playing the Royals while the Cubs playing the Sox might not seem fair. However, how fair is that during some weeks the Sox have to play the Twins, while the Tigers play the Royals? There are match ups like that even when there is no interleague play.

TommyJohn
06-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Except for the intra-city and region rivalries (Cubs-Sox, Yanks-Mets) there is no rhyme or reason to the interleague matchups. They should streamline it, somehow. Trouble is they are trying to be too much like football.

chisoxfanatic
06-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Well, Cardinals playing the Royals while the Cubs playing the Sox might not seem fair. However, how fair is that during some weeks the Sox have to play the Twins, while the Tigers play the Royals? There are match ups like that even when there is no interleague play.
You're comparing apples to oranges. We play the Twins and Royals exactly the same number of times as the Tigers do. Interleague play, however, is one thing that is completely unbalanced.

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2009, 01:11 AM
It is silly that MLB is the only major pro sport that has just gotten around to the leagues (conferences) playing each other.They are not conferences. They are separate leagues, with separate histories. The AL was formed to compete with the NL.

NBA split a single league into conferences when it got too big. The NHL, NBA and NFL never played "interleague" when there were two leagues. The NFL only played the AFL in the Super Bowl, just like the World Series. The NBA and NHL never played the ABA and WHL at all.

The NFL, NBA and NHL didn't "get around" to playing the other league. The other league folded and some of the teams got absorbed. That's it.

Interleague sucks.

Sox
06-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Not a big fan of inter league play. Never have been and never will be. Frankly as much as I dislike the scrubs I could do without seeing them 6 times this year. I just don't get what MLB sees are the advantages to inter league play. :scratch:

Shoeless
06-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Not a big fan of inter league play. Never have been and never will be. Frankly as much as I dislike the scrubs I could do without seeing them 6 times this year. I just don't get what MLB sees are the advantages to inter league play. :scratch:

three games a year, regardless of the day of the week, the White Sox will nearly sell out US Cellular. Wrigley field games were in the middle of the week and people still filled the seats. Say what you want about the decay of the series (personally, I don't care for it), but every stuffed shirt fair weather fan knows the value of a Cubs-Sox series and the stature involved with being able to go to the city's biggest sporting event of the summer. So no one cares about baltimore playing Florida? No one cares about Baltimore playing Kansas City either. Interleague play causes a handful of key matchups which make a lot of revenue for everyone involved.

TommyJohn
06-27-2009, 09:35 AM

$$$$$$$$$$$$

TommyJohn
06-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Contrary to the propaganda that Bud shovels at us, IL play was NOT his brainchild. It was first proposed in 1922 by Bill Veeck, Sr. The subject came up again in the late 1960's-early 1970's when a lot a baseball teams were suffering at the gate and needed something to reignite interest in the game. The owners were reluctant to sign off on it, though. One of the reasons was the "sanctity" of the two leagues. They just didn't want to take the final step to implement it for whatever reason. By 1997 it was an idea whose time had come, to quote Everett Dirksen.

Jimmy Piersall
06-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Anybody know how many leads we blew from the 7th inning on against those guys over the years ? we should have a much bigger margin over
those dopes than the current 37-36.

BadBobbyJenks
06-29-2009, 01:15 PM

It is fun to get to see the Dodgers, the Cardinals, the Braves, etc etc. What are these disadvantages that interleague play presents? Well besides the drunk Cubs fans that come into our park. :rolleyes:

JC456
06-29-2009, 01:30 PM
It is fun to get to see the Dodgers, the Cardinals, the Braves, etc etc. What are these disadvantages that interleague play presents? Well besides the drunk Cubs fans that come into our park. :rolleyes:

The disadvantage is that teams in the White Sox Division don't play the same teams the Sox do. I do not believe any other team in our division played the Dodgers, the team with the best record in baseball.

If they could balance the games so everyone from a division each plays the same teams than that would help!

TDog
06-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Contrary to the propaganda that Bud shovels at us, IL play was NOT his brainchild. It was first proposed in 1922 by Bill Veeck, Sr. The subject came up again in the late 1960's-early 1970's when a lot a baseball teams were suffering at the gate and needed something to reignite interest in the game. The owners were reluctant to sign off on it, though. One of the reasons was the "sanctity" of the two leagues. They just didn't want to take the final step to implement it for whatever reason. By 1997 it was an idea whose time had come, to quote Everett Dirksen.

The night in Chicago at the Baseball Winter Meetings before the 1973 season when the American League owners voted to run a three-year experiment with the designated hitter, a voted on interleague play failed to get support from the necessary three-fourths majority of the National League owners. I don't remember the vote numbers, but, unlike the designated hitter, it would have required approval from nine of the 12 National League owners, as well as seven of the 12 American League owners.

I went to bed that night hoping interleague would pass and the DH (they called it the DPH at the time) would fail. Interleague was proposed for a limited basis -- Sox vs. Cubs, Giants vs. A's, Yankees vs. Mets etc. Some teams would be left out. The Padres weren't matching up against the Angels, but I liked the idea on a limited basis. Bob Elson in 1970 talked sometimes during games about how great Interleague play would be, to have the Dodgers come to town. I guess the 1959 World Series was the highlight of his life.

As people have noted, the Sox-Cubs thing was different before 2005. The Sox had something to prove against the Cubs. They generally did well against the Cubs before proving something to Chicago that didn't have anything to do with the Cubs.

This series has grown tiresome.

I agree with Nellie. Although when I made such a post recently about baseball being two separate leagues, I was shouted down.

TomBradley72
06-29-2009, 01:44 PM
The annual Cubs/Sox series brings the usual flood of b.s. from the media, fans of both teams, etc., but it also brings very entertaining, interesting and memorable baseball games usually played in a "post season like" atmosphere. So for those reasons I like it.

FielderJones
06-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Although when I made such a post recently about baseball being two separate leagues, I was shouted down.

I would never shout you down. If the leagues still had separate presidents and were still managed as separate business entities, I would agree with you. However, I would point out that Selig (longest reigning commissioner since Landis) abolished (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/officials.shtml) the positions of league presidents in 2000, and has run the single business entity Major League Baseball ever since. For all practical purposes the "Leagues" are being operated as conferences, albeit with a single rule difference for home field play.

longshot7
06-29-2009, 02:11 PM
I like it, altho I wish they would concentrate on regional matchups. The Sox should play the Cards, Brewers, & Cubs every year, and if that means they expand it, then so be it. Also, I wish they would bring back the balanced schedule.

TDog
06-29-2009, 02:55 PM
I would never shout you down. If the leagues still had separate presidents and were still managed as separate business entities, I would agree with you. However, I would point out that Selig (longest reigning commissioner since Landis) abolished (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/officials.shtml) the positions of league presidents in 2000, and has run the single business entity Major League Baseball ever since. For all practical purposes the "Leagues" are being operated as conferences, albeit with a single rule difference for home field play.

If they were operating as conferences, they wouldn't have different rules between them.

It would be as if the Eastern and Western conferences of the NBA had different shot clocks. (Syracuse Nationals owner Danny Biasone came up with the 24-second shot clock by dividing the aveage number of shots into the time of the game. The ABA used a 30-second shot clock before the NBA put it out of business and bought up a few of its profitable franchises.) It would be as if the NFL's conferences had different rules on how many feet a receiver has to have in bounds while making a catch or differences in the minutia of eligible receivers or time management rules or even how bonus points are available off the clock after touchdowns. There was a football league in the 1970s that fooled around with changing that.

People want Major League Baseball to be one league. But there are people determined to keep the leagues' identities separate. Baseball operated without a commissioner for a time. Leagues can exist separately without presidents.

FielderJones
06-29-2009, 03:01 PM
If they were operating as conferences, they wouldn't have different rules between them.

Rule. One rule.

voodoochile
06-29-2009, 03:04 PM

It would be as if the Eastern and Western conferences of the NBA had different shot clocks. (Syracuse Nationals owner Danny Biasone came up with the 24-second shot clock by dividing the aveage number of shots into the time of the game. The ABA used a 30-second shot clock before the NBA put it out of business and bought up a few of its profitable franchises.) It would be as if the NFL's conferences had different rules on how many feet a receiver has to have in bounds while making a catch or differences in the minutia of eligible receivers or time management rules or even how bonus points are available off the clock after touchdowns. There was a football league in the 1970s that fooled around with changing that.

People want Major League Baseball to be one league. But there are people determined to keep the leagues' identities separate. Baseball operated without a commissioner for a time. Leagues can exist separately without presidents.

Aside from the DH are there any other rules that are different? Both leagues operate under the same CBA, the same umpires, the same basic rules for dimensions and replay and etc. etc. I could go on and on. Players move freely between teams without one team having to pay a negotiating fee to talk to the players. The playoffs are all the same format. The money is divided from national TV contracts evenly.

I understand the point about the DH being a rule unique to the AL, but really it's the only distinction that says they are different leagues. Every other thing that can be shared between the two leagues is. If/when that rule goes away or is adopted by the NL will you change your whole stance because there are no rules that separate them? Seems a pretty arbitrary place to draw the distinction.

I see your point, but I still disagree with it. MLB's season ends with the WS and the champion is the MLB champion for that season. The team that lost is that league's pennant winner.

chisoxfanatic
06-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Well, barring having to make up that rained-out game, we survived this year's CC as victors once again! While that's all great, I still want this gone in a year or two.

voodoochile
06-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Well, barring having to make up that rained-out game, we survived this year's CC as victors once again! While that's all great, I still want this gone in a year or two.

They might reduce the number of interleague games eventually, but the will never get rid of the rivalry series, IMO. This home and home with the flubbies is a cash cow for both teams.

TDog
06-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Aside from the DH are there any other rules that are different? Both leagues operate under the same CBA, the same umpires, the same basic rules for dimensions and replay and etc. etc. I could go on and on. Players move freely between teams without one team having to pay a negotiating fee to talk to the players. The playoffs are all the same format. The money is divided from national TV contracts evenly.

I understand the point about the DH being a rule unique to the AL, but really it's the only distinction that says they are different leagues. Every other thing that can be shared between the two leagues is. If/when that rule goes away or is adopted by the NL will you change your whole stance because there are no rules that separate them? Seems a pretty arbitrary place to draw the distinction.

I see your point, but I still disagree with it. MLB's season ends with the WS and the champion is the MLB champion for that season. The team that lost is that league's pennant winner.

I understand your arguments, and I understand that we disagree on this issue. And you will probably continue to disagree if I stress that it is not just the DH but the fact that there continues to be such a fundamental rule difference.

The DH isn't going away and it isn't going to be adopted by the National League. That is more than a fact that distinguishes the leagues. The DH grew out of the independence of the leagues and it continues of of their continued independence.

For many years, the leagues had completely different scheduling philosophies with the American League preferring a balanced schedule. Expansion and interleague play logistics have compromised scheduling distinctions, but the leagues continue to have their unique character while agreeing not to raid each other and not drive players' prices up having separate drafts and such. They have an antitrust exemption that allows them to do business in a way that is profitable that might otherwise be illegal for 30 teams and two leagues. (The NFL had to "merge" with the AFL and become one league because it had no antitrust exemption.)

Each league has its own character, and always has, although that character has evolved from time to time. I know you disagree with me. Likewise, I know the people who come to baseball from other sports aren't quick to see things that way. But until there is massive realignment with the Cubs and Sox playing in the same division (or conference) they will be separate leagues. It is the leagues, independence that keeps this from happening.

PhillipsBubba
06-29-2009, 05:39 PM
I think it's great!

It's amazing how close the records and stats are.....very competitive!

http://blogs.southtownstar.com/schorsch/sox.jpg

Daver
06-29-2009, 05:54 PM
I understand your arguments, and I understand that we disagree on this issue. And you will probably continue to disagree if I stress that it is not just the DH but the fact that there continues to be such a fundamental rule difference.

The DH isn't going away and it isn't going to be adopted by the National League. That is more than a fact that distinguishes the leagues. The DH grew out of the independence of the leagues and it continues of of their continued independence.

For many years, the leagues had completely different scheduling philosophies with the American League preferring a balanced schedule. Expansion and interleague play logistics have compromised scheduling distinctions, but the leagues continue to have their unique character while agreeing not to raid each other and not drive players' prices up having separate drafts and such. They have an antitrust exemption that allows them to do business in a way that is profitable that might otherwise be illegal for 30 teams and two leagues. (The NFL had to "merge" with the AFL and become one league because it had no antitrust exemption.)

Each league has its own character, and always has, although that character has evolved from time to time. I know you disagree with me. Likewise, I know the people who come to baseball from other sports aren't quick to see things that way. But until there is massive realignment with the Cubs and Sox playing in the same division (or conference) they will be separate leagues. It is the leagues, independence that keeps this from happening.

Bud Selig did away with the independence of the leagues years ago, by removing the position of league president from MLB and moving those titles into his own office, and by removing the autonomous umpires union with one that is controlled from his office. There are no longer AL and NL umpires, they all work both leagues now, and they may as well do away with the term Crew Cheif for umpires, since everything is dictated by the league office now.

To quote Milt Pappas " The game sucks nowadays."

BadBobbyJenks
06-29-2009, 06:05 PM
The disadvantage is that teams in the White Sox Division don't play the same teams the Sox do. I do not believe any other team in our division played the Dodgers, the team with the best record in baseball.

If they could balance the games so everyone from a division each plays the same teams than that would help!

We all play the NL, it is balanced fine.

Windy City
06-29-2009, 06:58 PM
I like interleague play and wish MLB would allow both leagues to compete against each other throughout the whole year not just two months out of the season. Additionally, I would not mind there being an extra tier of postseason as well with the top two teams in the Wild Card standing squaring off in a three-game series. The winner of that series would play the No. 1 seed in the NLDS/ALDS.

As far as the DH goes, I think MLB should make a rule that it should be optional from game to game to be determined by the home team.

Gobally, I think the perception of its inability or apathy to change or alter the product has drastically hurt MLB in terms of popularity among the masses as we have seen with World Series ratings.

You can say that has a lot to do with the late start times, but that is bull, considering there were NBA playoffs games that started at 9:30 p.m. Nobody in the national media complained about Lakers-Nuggets ending at close to 1 a.m.

It is time for MLB to stop with some of its traditional ways and incorporate new ideas and methods.