PDA

View Full Version : oh stuff it

Spiff
06-02-2002, 06:26 PM
Some of you have really taken this optimism thing and run with it, to the point where you are trying to outdo each other. It is bizarre to say the least, considering we're talking about a team that has dropped seven straight. Blind loyalty is fine if that is your thing, but expressing concern does not make someone a "chicken little" or a "bandwagon jumper." Give it a rest, it's like the friggin Inquisition around here.

Sure, nobody can say for sure that the Sox will continue to tank, but there is no assurance that they will climb back to the top. Somehow, it has gotten to the point where suggesting the former makes you a traitor(?). Ridiculous.

Jerry_Manuel
06-02-2002, 06:33 PM
I agree. Some people are way to positive and people like myself are way to negative.

duke of dorwood
06-02-2002, 06:39 PM
I dont think its negative to want and hope some personell changes are made to inject life into this effort.

voodoochile
06-02-2002, 06:45 PM
Hey, I agree that the team hasn't been playing well, but when I come here and see threads asking, "Who has given up hope?" (or whatever the title of the thread is) and people going off on rants about how every member of the team stinks, I will respond. It is June (f'n) 2nd. There are 4 MONTHS of baseball left. I'm not happy with the way we are playing, but come on. 3.5 games in 4 months?

Maybe it is time to break out the JR quote from 1997, "Anyone who thinks the Twinkies can(NOT) be caught is crazy."

and before you go off on another pessamistic rant, yes, I changed the quote...

Here's to Sox fans who still believe...

:gulp:

Here's to Sox fans who don't...

:whiner:

HawkDJ
06-02-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Who has given up hope?" (or whatever the title of the thread is)

Well that is obviously referring to my thread. I was just curious you know. And no I was not one of the two who voted they lost hope.

voodoochile
06-02-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

Well that is obviously referring to my thread. I was just curious you know. And no I was not one of the two who voted they lost hope.

Maybe Spiff was...

Can you please take the losing streak stat out of your sig? It gives me the willies everytime I see it...

Whatever the willies are...

:D:

FarWestChicago
06-02-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Spiff
Blind loyalty is fine if that is your thing, but expressing concern does not make someone a "chicken little" or a "bandwagon jumper." Give it a rest, it's like the friggin Inquisition around here.The only ridiculous thing around here is some of the mindless ranting and raving. Not giving up yet is not blind optimism. It's being level headed. It's too early to give up. Does the current state of affairs suck? Hell yes. Baseball is a tough sport to follow. You lose a lot of games during the season even if you are good.

Pukester
06-02-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
The only ridiculous thing around here is some of the mindless ranting and raving. Not giving up yet is not blind optimism. It's being level headed. It's too early to give up. Does the current state of affairs suck? Hell yes. Baseball is a tough sport to follow. You lose a lot of games during the season even if you are good.

Hell yeah!!!

Cut everyone on the 25 man roster right now,fire all the coaches,and start from scratch as of Monday.

Guys like Jason Delaero,Tim Hummel,and Thomas Jacquez give us a much better chance of competing for the division.

Spiff
06-02-2002, 07:11 PM
The only ridiculous thing around here is some of the mindless ranting and raving. Not giving up yet is not blind optimism. It's being level headed. It's too early to give up. Does the current state of affairs suck? Hell yes. Baseball is a tough sport to follow. You lose a lot of games during the season even if you are good.

I don't care if people are optimistic, real optimism I can admire. But is all of this real? I don't think so. People are just looking for something to cling to.

Edit: To clarify, if people around here were really optimistic they wouldn't be so jumpy. If they weren't worried, they wouldn't be panicking and then lying to themselves (and each other), which is so blatantly going on.

baggio202
06-02-2002, 07:17 PM

i t ry to keep a level head but this franchise doesnt have a history of level headedness..i mean what other franchise throws in the towel 3 games back with two months to go???...right now we are 3.5 games back..anyday now i'm expecting to hear KW's patented speech about how we had to trade durham and lofton for prospects because this team was floundering and we felt we couldnt meet their salary demands because we are on such a strict budget since you, the fans, wont support the team...

even konerko came out this week and said if this slump continues alot of veterans will be moved...its not us in here you have to convince not to give up...its KW and management

Jerry_Manuel
06-02-2002, 07:38 PM
The only ridiculous thing around here is some of the mindless ranting and raving. Not giving up yet is not blind optimism. It's being level headed. It's too early to give up.

Sure, there's some people like "Viva Magglio" who like to rant and say everyone should be fired. Giving up to me means that the team can't win the division. I've said since March, (check link above sig) that the team wouldn't win the division. I think they can, but they won't. I've told you before West, we have a lot of red-asses on this board. It's not to early to give up hopes of winning the division, but it's never to early to say they won't win the WS.

Just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

JoeBatters
06-02-2002, 07:39 PM
I for one just wanna drink BEER !!!!!!!!! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

kevingrt
06-02-2002, 08:34 PM

Can I second that?

HawkDJ
06-02-2002, 08:35 PM

Can you please take the losing streak stat out of your sig? It gives me the willies everytime I see it...
:

Ha, sorry. Tried to put some humor into the whole situation.

doublem23
06-02-2002, 08:55 PM
I may be one of the optimism ringleaders around here, and while I understand how during a pretty crappy streak can sour some people. That's natural (you should see me when I play baseball... I absolutely hate losing), but you have to keep it all in perspective.

This is probably the worst the Sox have played since April and May of 2001... And we're only 3 1/2 games off the division lead. And once you get to the post-season, anything can happen.

But yes, I do think this is a solid team just in a valley right now. Does it suck? Hell yeah. I can't stand this, but I'm not ready to slash my wrists and jump in front of traffic over the current state of affairs. There are better days ahead, boys. Better days ahead.

Sure, blind faith is stupid... But when we're 3.5 games out of first on June 2nd, come on. IMO, that's just as ridiculous.

Back home to take on the Royals... You know I'll be there tomorrow (weather permitting) to cheer 'em on. But if they lose...

LongDistanceFan
06-03-2002, 02:23 AM
i don't know if i am a band wagon jumper or not, but when you lose whether it a close one or not......... the mistakes of the past becomes more glaring to look at. at least for me it does. i haven't deviated from my opinions of several sox players and management who i think should be fire.......... whether we were winning or not, i personally felt they needed to go and still do.......... where or not that adds to the chaos here of "chicken little" or however it was put........ i don't know.

when people are advocating the removal of clayton and nardi how would people classify that, people being panicky?

Nellie_Fox
06-03-2002, 03:41 AM
Folks, things are not good. Cleveland, who we thought was out of it, is now tied with the Sox. This team is showing no heart; they can't seem to come from behind after the 6th inning. I have not abandoned hope, I never do, but I'm getting to the point where I hate to find out the score of the day's game, and that's not good.

voodoochile
06-03-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

Ha, sorry. Tried to put some humor into the whole situation.

I think it was more the royal blue color that freaked me out...

Never like to dwell on the negative either. Things are goint to turn around for this team eventually.

I will go out on a limb and state that the Sox are not going to end the season 28-134...

Procol Harum
06-03-2002, 01:53 PM
I will go out on a limb and state that the Sox are not going to end the season 28-134...

Here's hopin' that your gifts as a prophet are confirmed by victory #29 tonight (hopefully, that won't mean we'll finish 29-133....)