PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati Series Discussion Thread

amsteel
06-16-2009, 12:38 PM
I realize fewer people will be making the trip to the Queen City than the Brew City, but there has to be a few.

The GF and I got lucky and were planning on driving to Florida starting on Saturday, but I talked her into leaving a day early and making a romantic side trip to the Ohio River valley. I scored some Club (read: all you can eat, woooo!) tickets off Stubhub for about 15% below face so I'm getting excited.

Any other Sox fans gonna be there?

FoulkeFan
06-16-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm going to be there with five other Sox fans are at the Friday and Saturday games. Should be fun - I'm counting down the days! Saturday is the Civil Rights game too and it's the first time that they're playing it in a ML park.

amsteel
06-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I wish I could make it Saturday since it sounds like there are going to be some ceremonies and they'll be wearing throwbacks. Either way, it should be fun on Friday, I really like the park and the night life across the Ohio in Covington.

KyWhiSoxFan
06-16-2009, 01:44 PM
I will be there on Friday night with my wife. We will be there with another couple from Lexington who are Sox fans. I'm not sure if we're staying for the Saturday game. Will play that by ear.

Coolpapa
06-16-2009, 02:40 PM
I believe the team stays at the Westin, downtown Cincy. Nice park they have, pretty good fans too.

ChicagoHoosier
06-16-2009, 02:44 PM
I paid full price when tickets went on sale for the Saturday game. Looked at club level but chose to sit closer. Didn't realize club was all-you-can-eat but assumed it was just like US Cellular's club or others I've sat in.

Looking forward to the game and ceremonies on Saturday.

amsteel
06-16-2009, 03:05 PM
I think the Club all-you-can-eat tix start at 85$, which really isn't all the bad when you figure the seats alone are probably 35$ and its not just ballpark food they serve, supposedly its sandwiches, pasta, etc.

hi im skot
06-16-2009, 04:41 PM
I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. Looking forward to it.

TSXNaVi
06-16-2009, 05:21 PM
I'll be there Saturday night. There will be about 25 of us making the trip. I guess we have seats similar to the patio, we will have all you can eat but not all you can drink :scratch: Never been there so very excited to go to the Great American Ballpark

asboog
06-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Never been there so very excited to go to the Great American Ballpark

It is a really nice place to see a game. I have been there multiple times. Its nice being able to see the river and all the boast going past in between innings.

TSXNaVi
06-16-2009, 05:29 PM
It is a really nice place to see a game. I have been there multiple times. Its nice being able to see the river and all the boast going past in between innings.

I've heard great things so I cannot wait!! As of right now it may be a short experience with Beuhrle and Cueto. May be a nice pitchers duel.

roylestillman
06-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Nice park, but a little hard to navigate around. There is a gap in the stands behind home plate for some architectural effect, which is fine I guess, but you have to go back downstairs to get from one side of the park in the upper decks to the other.

If you are looking for pre or post game food and drink, I'd suggest the Mount Adams neighborhood just east of downtown.

DSpivack
06-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Nice park, but a little hard to navigate around. There is a gap in the stands behind home plate for some architectural effect, which is fine I guess, but you have to go back downstairs to get from one side of the park in the upper decks to the other.

If you are looking for pre or post game food and drink, I'd suggest the Mount Adams neighborhood just east of downtown.

That sounds like a pretty stupid design to me. Nats Park has a similar 'gap' in the RF upper deck bleachers, but there's a concourse connecting the 'normal' upper deck with that.

BigP50
06-16-2009, 06:15 PM
The Great American Ball Park has a great view in past right field

amsteel
06-17-2009, 01:19 AM
That sounds like a pretty stupid design to me. Nats Park has a similar 'gap' in the RF upper deck bleachers, but there's a concourse connecting the 'normal' upper deck with that.

I wanna say that's so you can get glimpses of the Cinci skyline from the stadium and I wouldn't doubt it has something to do with wind currents thru the stadium as well. As someone mentioned I think DC has a similar structure as well as Detroit.

Does anyone know if they have water taxis from the KY side of the river to the stadium? My buddy mentioned it, but I can't find any info online.

ChicagoHoosier
06-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Parking - best to just use the lots and go where they direct you, or do you know any good tricks?

amsteel
06-17-2009, 10:27 AM
From what I remember the Reds operated lots are adjacent to the stadium and reasonably priced. Across the river in KY there are a lots of bars,shops, etc. I'm thinking about parking there and walking to the game.

PKalltheway
06-17-2009, 10:39 AM

:?::scratch: You can access the entire upper deck from the same concourse. You don't have to go downstairs.

PKalltheway
06-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Parking - best to just use the lots and go where they direct you, or do you know any good tricks?
You can park in the Westin hotel garage at 5th and Vine for just 3 dollars. Get there early though, it fills up pretty quick.

There's also the Fountain Square garage that has parking for 4 dollars.

EDIT: FYI, the Fountain Square garage is also at 5th and Vine, right across the street from the Westin.

pdimas
06-17-2009, 12:01 PM
I believe the team stays at the Westin, downtown Cincy. Nice park they have, pretty good fans too.

Yeah that is where they stayed last time they were in Cincy. I booked a room there then as well. The staff would not let anyone near the players for anything.

We usually make an annual trip to Cincy but won't be doing it this year :whiner:.

Max Power
06-17-2009, 02:21 PM
I'll be there for the Saturday game. I'm excited for my first trip to Cincinnati. Well, as excited as someone can get about going to Cincinnati.

amsteel
06-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Eat Skyline Chili while you're there. Those are the only 2 reason I can think to go to Cinci: To see the Reds play and to eat chili.

CHISOXFAN13
06-17-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm leaving Saturday morning and will be at the Saturday and Sunday games. Really looking forward to this trip. Will be the third road series of the year for me.

pdimas
06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Eat Skyline Chili while you're there. Those are the only 2 reason I can think to go to Cinci: To see the Reds play and to eat chili.

I concur. I always look forward to eating a few of these when I go down there. :smile:

Hartman
06-18-2009, 12:33 PM
I'll be at the Sunday game in the first row of left-center. Mark is slated to start and I hope that doesn't change!

narski
06-18-2009, 08:54 PM
I wanna say that's so you can get glimpses of the Cinci skyline from the stadium and I wouldn't doubt it has something to do with wind currents thru the stadium as well. As someone mentioned I think DC has a similar structure as well as Detroit.

Does anyone know if they have water taxis from the KY side of the river to the stadium? My buddy mentioned it, but I can't find any info online.
call Hooters in newport. the water taxi leaves and returns from there. i think its $5 roundtrip. great bars over there too.

also, not directed towards you, but the all you can eat seats are only one section in the club level

amsteel
06-19-2009, 12:14 AM
call Hooters in newport. the water taxi leaves and returns from there. i think its $5 roundtrip. great bars over there too.

also, not directed towards you, but the all you can eat seats are only one section in the club level

Yeah, we have the one where the food is included, it looked like all the others it wasn't included in the ticket, but you could upgrade.

It appears this bar also offers water taxi rides: http://www.beersellar.net/newport/default.html

Zakath
06-19-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how the Reds are a game over .500 when they hit worse than the Cubs and don't pitch better than them.

Taliesinrk
06-19-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how the Reds are a game over .500 when they hit worse than the Cubs and don't pitch better than them.

Seriously? They have Dusty Baker AND Nick Massett... come on.

Also, I'll be making the trip over from indy tonight. Looking forward to it as we'll be in Sec. 132 about 20 rows up (I wish I could pull tickets this good for home games).

I want Mags back
06-19-2009, 01:05 PM
You can park in the Westin hotel garage at 5th and Vine for just 3 dollars. Get there early though, it fills up pretty quick.

EDIT: FYI, the Fountain Square garage is also at 5th and Vine, right across the street from the Westin.
excellent tip, I will try that. Thanks a lot.

narski
06-19-2009, 03:10 PM

w/o volquez, the reds pitching staff is slightly above average. when he is/was healthy, they have one of the best staffs in the NL. maybe not talked about too much, but very good. their hitting right now is terrible alot due to the fact that their best hitter (votto) has been sidelined. this, from a sox fan transplanted to ohio.

DirtySox
06-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Still curious what jerseys the Sox will be wearing for the Civil Rights game tomorrow.

According to this (http://reds.gearupforsports.com/blog/2009/06/jersey-design-for-civil-rights-game/) the Reds will be wearing Replicas of the 1964 jerseys.

hi im skot
06-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Still curious what jerseys the Sox will be wearing for the Civil Rights game tomorrow.

According to this (http://reds.gearupforsports.com/blog/2009/06/jersey-design-for-civil-rights-game/) the Reds will be wearing Replicas of the 1964 jerseys.

Uniwatch claims that it will be based on the Sox 1964 design as well, though there's no confirmation anywhere.

Hartman
06-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Does anyone know when batting practice usually starts for a 1:10pm ET start time?

ssirish317
06-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Where's Hawk???

soltrain21
06-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Where's Hawk???

Family emergency.

chisoxfan4life
06-20-2009, 11:45 AM

Wow thanks for the tip! You just made the roadtrip for some poor college students a little bit cheaper. I'm lookin forward to getting there real early and catchin the Sox BP since I can never experience that at the Cell.

chisoxfanatic
06-21-2009, 01:07 AM
I've never been to the Great American Ballpark, but, from pictures I've seen of the place, the ballpark looks like a characterless sea of red seats. For those of you who have been to it, what makes it a nice stadium?

PKalltheway
06-21-2009, 01:48 AM
I've never been to the Great American Ballpark, but, from pictures I've seen of the place, the ballpark looks like a characterless sea of red seats. For those of you who have been to it, what makes it a nice stadium?
The tickets are inexpensive, and there isn't a bad seat in the house. Plus, the red seats in the ballpark actually give the park it's character, a lot of the newer parks use the same color of seats (usually blue or green; not saying it's bad, but red is just a nice change of pace, that's all. They are the Reds, you know.). If you're in the upper deck, you get a nice view of the Ohio River and Kentucky. The Reds also have a pretty nice Hall of Fame and Museum attached to the ballpark as well. The smokestacks in right center field also pay tribute to Cincinnati's steamboat heritage, which gives the park a little more character. They shoot out fireworks from the smokestacks as well.

Overall, it's a solid ballpark, not the absolute best I've ever been to, but it's 10,000x better than Riverfront Stadium/Cinergy Field. If you have ever seen a game there, it makes you appreciate GABP a lot more. Nothing really flashy about the place, just a good place to watch baseball.

PKalltheway
06-21-2009, 02:06 AM
excellent tip, I will try that. Thanks a lot.

Wow thanks for the tip! You just made the roadtrip for some poor college students a little bit cheaper. I'm lookin forward to getting there real early and catchin the Sox BP since I can never experience that at the Cell.
You're both welcome, I hope it wasn't too hard for you to find!

Hartman
06-21-2009, 08:30 AM

It's hard to explain, but I would just describe it as a "comfortable" park. It's just a nice atmosphere for a baseball game.

jshanahanjr
06-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Nice Stadium! I enjoyed the views of the city, river, and Kentucky side of it. The people were nice, and it was very affordable for a major league product.

I want Mags back
06-22-2009, 07:16 AM
You're both welcome, I hope it wasn't too hard for you to find!

Nope, very easy. And it lead us out to the Civil Rights game fair they were having in the Fountain Square. Thanks again, you can't beat 4 dollar parking.

g0g0
06-22-2009, 09:39 AM
I went to the game yesterday and man was it hot! I think I lost 10 lbs there. But great Father's Day present. There were a lot of WS fans there which made it nice. Not a bad ballpark.

CHISOXFAN13
06-22-2009, 02:14 PM
My Cincy experience was fantastic. I love the ballpark, though the food selection leaves something to be desired. Parked in the aforementioned lot at the Westin both days and enjoyed great conversation with some good baseball fans.

I've seen 20 Major League parks, and it's certainly in my top half.

NoNeckEra
06-22-2009, 09:46 PM

So were the Sox Uni's also based on early 60's road?

I know powder blue didn't come into play until '68-'70.

I love the block letters on the sleeves.

I know people think they're too Cubbie blue, but the Sox actually wore powder blue on the road before the cubs IIRC.

Anyone know if they're auctioning off the game uni's?

FielderJones
06-23-2009, 12:06 AM
I know powder blue didn't come into play until '68-'70.

The HOF uniform database would disagree (http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1964_chicago.gif&Entryid=1030).

Max Power
06-23-2009, 08:50 AM
I know people think they're too Cubbie blue, but the Sox actually wore powder blue on the road before the cubs IIRC.

The Cubs first wore powder blue on the road in 1941 (http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=nl_1941_chicago.gif&Entryid=652)