PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper is leaving high school

Mohoney
06-15-2009, 05:14 PM
He is getting a GED and enrolling in a community college in order to be eligible for the 2010 draft.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=955764

BigP50
06-15-2009, 05:17 PM
what a beast

BleacherBandit
06-15-2009, 05:28 PM
I'll believe his "powers" when I see them.

soxfanreggie
06-15-2009, 05:40 PM
If he does well there, you can bet people will be asking if Boras will get him as much as he got Strasburg.

DumpJerry
06-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Bad move on his part.

doublem23
06-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Bad move on his part.

He's got the Boras hype machine working for him, so unless he completely wilts at ( :rolling: ) JUCO, he'll get drafted in the 1st round next year and will likely be financially set for life at 17 years old.

Rocky Soprano
06-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Bad move on his part.

How so?

DumpJerry
06-15-2009, 06:16 PM
How so?
He's too young for pro ball. He should get his HS degree. There will be plenty of time for making money later.

Also, what if the pro teams decide it's not so much him that is talented, but the high school conference he's in? He may be talented, but not THAT talented. We just don't know. If the pros look at him that way, he could sink to a lower round in the draft. Then what kind of deal will he get? He has nothing to lose by waiting.

Rocky Soprano
06-15-2009, 06:21 PM
He's too young for pro ball. He should get his HS degree. There will be plenty of time for making money later.

Also, what if the pro teams decide it's not so much him that is talented, but the high school conference he's in? He may be talented, but not THAT talented. We just don't know. If the pros look at him that way, he could sink to a lower round in the draft. Then what kind of deal will he get? He has nothing to lose by waiting.

You make some great points. I can't say I have ever seen him play but he carries a ton of hype so I would be surprised if this move doesn't pan out for him. But, you are totally correct when you say that he has nothing to lose by waiting.

With Boras as his adviser, what can you expect...

LoveYourSuit
06-15-2009, 06:32 PM

In today's job market, is a HS diploma that much bigger in value than a GED?

I don't think so.

So for the chance to get his money 1 yr earlier, why not go for it. He has nothing to lose.

Plenty can go wrong in life in 12 months, the sooner you can ink that deal, get it done.

DumpJerry
06-15-2009, 06:41 PM
In today's job market, is a HS diploma that much bigger in value than a GED?

I don't think so.

So for the chance to get his money 1 yr earlier, why not go for it. He has nothing to lose.

Plenty can go wrong in life in 12 months, the sooner you can ink that deal, get it done.
To answer your question: yes. While I know lawyers who have GEDs, they will tell you it would have been much easier with a HS degree.

I won't even bother responding to the rest of your post.:rolleyes:

UChicagoHP
06-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Education, for special cases like Harper, is beyond over-rated. Due to Harper's other-worldly talent, he is guarenteed millions of dollars the second his name is in the draft. School/college will ALWAYS be an option in the future.

It doesn't send a great message to some(this is mostly simple jealously), but then again, college is a joke for most anyway in today's day and age. More power to him, you grab the millions while you can, and in the process make life for his children's children much easier in the process. Money doesn't guarentee happiness, but it sure as hell makes life in our society much easier.

LoveYourSuit
06-15-2009, 07:54 PM
To answer your question: yes. While I know lawyers who have GEDs, they will tell you it would have been much easier with a HS degree.

Why, cause the kid wants to make his money 1 year earlier?

soltrain21
06-15-2009, 07:58 PM

What are you trying to compare here? Lawyers have to go to school, get a masters, etc. All Bryce Harper has to do is hit a baseball 500 feet, and he can already do that. Who cares if he graduated with an actual high school diploma or a GED?

I don't see anything wrong with what he is doing. People said he would have been a top 5 player THIS year.

TomBradley72
06-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Alot can happen in a year...blow out your knee, rotator cuff, etc....with one stroke of the pen the kid will have financial security for life for his entire family. Plenty of time to go back and get a college degree if he's so inclined.

I doubt the quality of his high school conference could be having a huge influence on his performance. I'm sure his family has already consulted with a ton of scouts, Boras,etc. I don't think he's a lock to make the majors...but I can't blame him at all for going this route.

Standing Ovation
06-15-2009, 09:04 PM
This is a no-brainer. Take it and run. Have you ever put your "high school" credentials on your resume? A GED is the same damn thing. If we could do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQ5cZD8PgU

we'd all be making the same move.

06-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Alot can happen in a year...blow out your knee, rotator cuff, etc....with one stroke of the pen the kid will have financial security for life for his entire family. Plenty of time to go back and get a college degree if he's so inclined.

I doubt the quality of his high school conference could be having a huge influence on his performance. I'm sure his family has already consulted with a ton of scouts, Boras,etc. I don't think he's a lock to make the majors...but I can't blame him at all for going this route.

Precisely. This is exactly why it would be a bone-headed move to NOT go pro. What do you have to lose? Your high school diploma? "I tore my ACL, but at least I have a diploma!"

LoveYourSuit
06-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Precisely. This is exactly why it would be a bone-headed move to NOT go pro. What do you have to lose? Your high school diploma? "I tore my ACL, but at least I have a diploma!"

But the whole meaning of getting a diploma on stage and going to the Prom is lost.

jdm2662
06-16-2009, 11:54 AM
If I had a chance to get out of high school early, I wouldn't had blinked once.

Luke
06-16-2009, 12:27 PM

The sporting world is certainly littered with can't miss prospects that somehow missed. I don't think there's much question about his physical gifts though, he's not just dominating his conference. He's dominating elite showcases and travel ball every where he goes, plus has a fastball clocked at 96. Whether or not a 16 year old has the maturity to deal with all that is another question.

As far as the potential for getting hurt; can't he just take out an insurance policy on himself? Don't get me wrong, it's hard to blame a guy for wanting to get paid for what seems to be insane talent, but that shouldn't be the reason governing his decision.

PaleHoser
06-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Whether or not a 16 year old has the maturity to deal with all that is another question.

Agreed, and that's what concerns me the most about it.

I told my 17 year-old about this last night and my son said that he'll miss out on some of the best years of his life.

Josh Hamilton has attributed many of his off-field issues with lack of maturity and dealing with high expectations, not knowing how to manage his life, his money and his free time. Hamilton overcame his problems, but there is alot to be learned from knowing Hamilton's story.

Although it was in football and not baseball, this whole scenario smacks of Todd Marinovich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Marinovich). Dad's pushing too hard too fast. I can hope for the best but I don't see it ending well.

GoSox2K3
06-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Why, cause the kid wants to make his money 1 year earlier?

I suppose it's fitting that a post in favor of someone dropping out of high school would use this grammar.

Hitmen77
06-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Does this mean that he and Strasburg may both be on the Nationals in a couple of years?

Luke
06-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Does this mean that he and Strasburg may both be on the Nationals in a couple of years?

That's sure what the SI article made it sound like

DumpJerry
06-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Agreed, and that's what concerns me the most about it.

I told my 17 year-old about this last night and my son said that he'll miss out on some of the best years of his life.

Josh Hamilton has attributed many of his off-field issues with lack of maturity and dealing with high expectations, not knowing how to manage his life, his money and his free time. Hamilton overcame his problems, but there is alot to be learned from knowing Hamilton's story.

Although it was in football and not baseball, this whole scenario smacks of Todd Marinovich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Marinovich). Dad's pushing too hard too fast. I can hope for the best but I don't see it ending well.
Sidney Crosby of the NHL Penguins has a term in his contract that he must live with the Lemieux family. This was put in the contract at the insistence of his parents who did not want their 18 year old running wild with a ton of $$$ in his pocket. A very wise demand by his parents, if you ask me.

palehozenychicty
06-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Child prodigies with this amount of hype rarely deliver, so time will tell. That being said, if the Nats can get this guy and Strasberg in two consecutive drafts, and pair them with Zimmerman.....that's a damn good foundation.

TDog
06-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Education, for special cases like Harper, is beyond over-rated. Due to Harper's other-worldly talent, he is guarenteed millions of dollars the second his name is in the draft. School/college will ALWAYS be an option in the future.

It doesn't send a great message to some(this is mostly simple jealously), but then again, college is a joke for most anyway in today's day and age. More power to him, you grab the millions while you can, and in the process make life for his children's children much easier in the process. Money doesn't guarentee happiness, but it sure as hell makes life in our society much easier.

This kid would be a special case if he were a tennis player. I believe Andre Agassi dropped out of high school after going on the professional tennis circuit. Basketball players sometimes can make the transition from high school to the pros. But baseball players, especially hitters, rarely go straight from high school to the majors with success. Al Kaline did it. Alex Rodriguez played only 32 minor league games, come up with the Mariners at 18 after just 32 games in the minors and didn't appear ready. But he had some success the following year.

Still, it doesn't matter how good you are in high school against pitchers you face in high school. There is no way of knowing whether he will be as successful against pitchers at the next level. There have been some great high school hitters who couldn't handle AA.

This kid will probably be drafted and sign with a healthy bonus, assuming something doesn't happen before now and next year's draft. But it doesn't guarantee he will have any sort of baseball career.

Right now he's just a prospect. There have been other prospects who have dropped out of high school to improve the career they saw in front of them. I even coached one. But I've never seen any of them make it.

This kid may never get much more than a signing bonus. It's almost as if he wants that signing bonus without really proving he deserves it.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Sidney Crosby of the NHL Penguins has a term in his contract that he must live with the Lemieux family. This was put in the contract at the insistence of his parents who did not want their 18 year old running wild with a ton of $$$ in his pocket. A very wise demand by his parents, if you ask me.

Crosby has a family that obviously cares about him and know what's best. Let's hope this kid's family is the same.

DumpJerry
06-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Child prodigies with this amount of hype rarely deliver, so time will tell. That being said, if the Nats can get this guy and Strasberg in two consecutive drafts, and pair them with Zimmerman.....that's a damn good foundation.
Good foundation? Make that expensive foundation. If they do sign this kid, I want one of their money trees planted in my backyard. They would make the Red Sox and Yankees look like the Royals when it comes to spending.

Do they have the bucks to spend on Strasburgh and Harper given their lack of fan success?

DSpivack
06-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Good foundation? Make that expensive foundation. If they do sign this kid, I want one of their money trees planted in my backyard. They would make the Red Sox and Yankees look like the Royals when it comes to spending.

Do they have the bucks to spend on Strasburgh and Harper given their lack of fan success?

The Lerners do have deep pockets. Gotta spend money to make money.

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-16-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm torn on this issue. On one hand, he's leaving school early and may not be physically or mentally mature to handle the minor leagues or the majors. But on the other hand, hockey players leave their normal high schools to attend schools where they can focus on hockey to make the jump to the NHL. And tennis players turn pro before 18.

veeter
06-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Let the kid leave. I just roll my eyes every time I hear a player is the greatest, or a phenom. So many of these guys fizzle. He may end up being great. More than likely, he'll spend some time in the bigs and not leave much of a mark.

palehozenychicty
06-17-2009, 12:45 AM

Ted Lerner is a kabillionaire, and I heard that he wants to win. Now. Supposedly, Texeira was offered a $200 million deal this winter. They're so bad that he couldn't take the deal, but they have money. The franchise is one of the more valuable in baseball too, despite their poor gate receipts.

Sure, it's expensive, but if you had these two guys to build around, the upside is tremendous. Can you imagine if this team got two players with that kind of potential? It'd be like getting Chris Paul and Dwight Howard two years in a row.

TDog
06-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Ted Lerner is a kabillionaire, and I heard that he wants to win. Now. Supposedly, Texeira was offered a $200 million deal this winter. They're so bad that he couldn't take the deal, but they have money. The franchise is one of the more valuable in baseball too, despite their poor gate receipts.

Sure, it's expensive, but if you had these two guys to build around, the upside is tremendous. Can you imagine if this team got two players with that kind of potential? It'd be like getting Chris Paul and Dwight Howard two years in a row.

But it isn't about spending money to win. It's about spending money wisely to win. In baseball, there isn't a correlation between how much a team spends on players -- especially when bonuses are factored in -- and how much production they get from the players. Really, it's all over the place.

There are so many things that can go wrong to cause potential to be never fulfilled. Can't miss prospects often miss, often if you include the ones that only hit it briefly.

Baseball would be in better economic shape if there were a limit on signing bonuses for players with no major league experience. There is no reason for the players' association to oppose such a thing (other than influence from players' agents) because they won't be losing anything. You would think there shouldn't be opposition from owners, but with international talent creating bidding wars, there could be.

In any case, it is ridiculous to for prospects to command such huge money, and spending it as they demand isn't a particularly smart way to build a baseball team.

UChicagoHP
06-17-2009, 04:55 PM
I saw this kid play last summer in Arkansas. He is as big/fit/strong as half of the major leagues right now. Simply a freak of nature. Let him go pro, if his parents are cool with the decision, of course.

PatK
06-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I've seen monster power hitters in high school and college.

Then they use a wooden bat.

doublem23
06-17-2009, 09:08 PM
I saw this kid play last summer in Arkansas. He is as big/fit/strong as half of the major leagues right now. Simply a freak of nature. Let him go pro, if his parents are cool with the decision, of course.

:borass:
Of course they're cool with it... Now, look at my pocket watch, and you'll start feeling veeeeeeery sleepy... When you wake up, no one will think any of this is over the top.

palehozenychicty
06-17-2009, 11:02 PM
But it isn't about spending money to win. It's about spending money wisely to win. In baseball, there isn't a correlation between how much a team spends on players -- especially when bonuses are factored in -- and how much production they get from the players. Really, it's all over the place.

There are so many things that can go wrong to cause potential to be never fulfilled. Can't miss prospects often miss, often if you include the ones that only hit it briefly.

Baseball would be in better economic shape if there were a limit on signing bonuses for players with no major league experience. There is no reason for the players' association to oppose such a thing (other than influence from players' agents) because they won't be losing anything. You would think there shouldn't be opposition from owners, but with international talent creating bidding wars, there could be.

In any case, it is ridiculous to for prospects to command such huge money, and spending it as they demand isn't a particularly smart way to build a baseball team.

Your point is well taken. The Yankees stopped winning championships once they started going after every free agent that commanded maximum dollars at the beginning of this decade. Hell, even the White Sox haven't been as good once their payroll started rising over the past three-four years. The only way for any pro sports team to win is by spending wisely. The Nationals, right now, are spending wisely for their specific situation. No quality free agent is going to join that team right now. They have no credibility within the game or city. They're better off allocating their resources to young talent and hoping for the best. Then you fill the other pieces in with scouting, development, and good free agents that buy into the philosophy.

Sure, the chances of them becoming zeros is very strong. Baseball is a game of failure. You know this going to the table. Are you going to quit because they might fail? At least they are showing the fans that they are serious. It isn't the ultimate answer, but it's a proper first step.

They can't afford to sit back and do nothing either. Otherwise, MLB should not have granted them a franchise to begin with and paid for the stadium with taxpayer dollars. I don't think they'll offer an insane sum of cash to Strasburg, but they will have to overpay for him, and that's that. It's all they can do right now. If Harper is eligible next year and they pick him, it'll be the same deal.

I'm not in agreement with the rookie salary structure, and feel that MLB needs to restrict the draft signing bonuses/salaries like the NBA did in its last collective bargaining agreement. The chance to create clubhouse discord is large, but it's the reality of the game right now. It's all dependent on the Players Association to move on that issue, and it's uncertain if they'll put it on the agenda.

In short, I see where you are coming from, but if you feel that the Nationals have a better option right now, I'd like to see it.

UChicagoHP
06-18-2009, 04:28 PM
I've seen monster power hitters in high school and college.

Then they use a wooden bat.

He uses a wood bat at many of the tournies, it doesn't affect this kid at all(although your point is a very good one for most kids in the 16-20 age group). He is simply a phenom, one in million, etc...and imo, more than ready to earn a living with his talent.