PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone in AAA to replace DeWayne?

mweflen
06-15-2009, 01:31 AM
Instead of just complaining about his 3-4 automatic outs per game (such as the game in Milwaukee I just got home from tonight), let me ask the question: Is there anyone to replace him with in AAA?

Or, OTOH, why not have Fields take over backup corner OF duties when JD is (rarely) hurt and Quenten is (forever) injured?

Nellie_Fox
06-15-2009, 01:37 AM
Instead of just complaining about his 3-4 automatic outs per game (such as the game in Milwaukee I just got home from tonight), let me ask the question: Is there anyone to replace him with in AAA?

Or, OTOH, why not have Fields take over backup corner OF duties when JD is (rarely) hurt and Quenten is (forever) injured?Maybe because Fields was awful in the outfield when they tried that?

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Kreoger and Restovich. Both play RF and LF, not CF. Kroeger looked good in ST and was even playing 1B. Neither are anything special though.

doublem23
06-15-2009, 01:48 AM
Kreoger and Restovich. Both play RF and LF, not CF. Kroeger looked good in ST and was even playing 1B. Neither are anything special though.

Let's remember that Betemit had a pretty good spring at the plate. Spring stats mean dick.

Whenever TCQ comes back, Wise will be gone, there's no need to dump a 30-year-old minor leaguer for another 30-year-old minor leaguer.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Let's remember that Betemit had a pretty good spring at the plate. Spring stats mean dick.

Whenever TCQ comes back, Wise will be gone, there's no need to dump a 30-year-old minor leaguer for another 30-year-old minor leaguer.

Didn't say they did. Only it looks like Kroeger would be the better of the too.

JB98
06-15-2009, 02:07 AM
Restovich and Kroeger are both garbage. If either of them could play a lick, they would have been called up by now. We don't need either of those two bums on this team. What we need is a healthy Carlos Quentin.

jabrch
06-15-2009, 07:59 AM

I'm assuming that means Pods every day in CF and BA to the bench? I can't see Pods not playing the majority of the ABs given how well he has hit, even despite his defensive liabilities (which I acknowledge are huge in CF with Dye and TCQ on his flanks.

Britt Burns
06-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Is there anyone in AAA who couldn't replace Wise? I mean, he just isn't a very good player. Lucy...maybe?

He's gone when Quentin returns anyways.

Sargeant79
06-15-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm assuming that means Pods every day in CF and BA to the bench? I can't see Pods not playing the majority of the ABs given how well he has hit, even despite his defensive liabilities (which I acknowledge are huge in CF with Dye and TCQ on his flanks.

I think you're probably right. Much to my surprise, Pods has hit well and filled the void in the top of the order since he's been here. Anderson becomes an ideal fourth outfielder because of his ability to defend all three spots very well, but he still should see a good amount of playing time. He'll probably still wind up getting at least a couple starts a week too, not to mention an extra day or two as a defensive replacement.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-15-2009, 10:20 AM
When Quentin gets back, I think most of us will agree that the obvious move will be to DFA Wise and move BA to the bench and put Pods in center. We all saw on Sunday why BA is still valuable to this team. His defense is great. He gets jumps on balls that Pods wouldn't touch.

asindc
06-15-2009, 10:26 AM
When Quentin gets back, I think most of us will agree that the obvious move will be to DFA Wise and move BA to the bench and put Pods in center. We all saw on Sunday why BA is still valuable to this team. His defense is great. He gets jumps on balls that Pods wouldn't touch.

Which is why he is earning an MLB paycheck. The fact that Pods can outhit him, run the bases better, and handle the leadoff position much better is why BA should be the 4th OF when TCQ returns.

Wise apparently is a slightly better option than any other option we have. It is only of concern if TCQ does not return any time soon.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Which is why he is earning an MLB paycheck. The fact that Pods can outhit him, run the bases better, and handle the leadoff position much better is why BA should be the 4th OF when TCQ returns.

Wise apparently is a slightly better option than any other option we have. It is only of concern if TCQ does not return any time soon.

I'm not saying that Pods shouldn't start over BA, I'm just making a point in how good BA is in the outfield. There are people who think even he shouldn't be on this team.

russ99
06-15-2009, 12:08 PM

They both are bad career minor leaguers. As awful as Wise has been, he's better than both of them.

The guy I was hopeful to see brought up to help out was Miguel Negron, but he's had a simply awful season and was demoted from AAA to AA.

Can Andy Phillips play LF?

After that is Danks and Shelby in AA, but they're both at least a year away.

johnnyg83
06-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Wise has one hit in 24 ABs since he came back. It was a single. He also has one BB, 8 Ks, and a CS.

I don't dislike Wise, but he's a detriment, it's time to try something else.

seventyseven
06-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Wise has one hit in 24 ABs since he came back. It was a single. He also has one BB, 8 Ks, and a CS.

I don't dislike Wise, but he's a detriment, it's time to try something else.

This.

It would be one thing if he treaded water while TCQ was out. But he doesn't. He's awful, and a detriment to the team.

hawkjt
06-15-2009, 02:25 PM
I feel a little sorry for DWise. He did have a good spring, and was showing signs of hitting the ball coming into the season...makes the circus catch while injuring his shoulder..comes back and has completely lost it. 1 for 24? He is not great, but he is better than that. When Carlos gets back, he will be out of a job probably.

Konerko05
06-15-2009, 02:30 PM
I feel a little sorry for DWise. He did have a good spring, and was showing signs of hitting the ball coming into the season...makes the circus catch while injuring his shoulder..comes back and has completely lost it. 1 for 24? He is not great, but he is better than that. When Carlos gets back, he will be out of a job probably.

I think Wise is a horrible baseball player, but in his defense he was never given a full rehab stint. Instead he is expected to get his swing back playing sporadically in the ML. That's a pretty difficult task for a guy with marginal offensive talent.

Foulke You
06-15-2009, 03:13 PM
This.

It would be one thing if he treaded water while TCQ was out. But he doesn't. He's awful, and a detriment to the team.
I agree. It's time to cut him loose. Pods can spell Anderson in CF on days BA doesn't play and Nix can play LF. The longer Wise sticks around, the more tempted Ozzie will be to put him in the lineup twice a week. Ozzie's Wise man-crush is so great right now, he even had him bat in the 5 hole yesterday. Is this the first time in the history of baseball that a guy batting .146 with 0HRs 0RBI in June was batting 5th? As another poster pointed out, I don't hate Wise. He is trying out there but right now, he is hurting the team.

It's Dankerific
06-15-2009, 03:30 PM

The Sox have given/will give Wise almost a million dollars. I think the conscious is clean on this one.

Soxfest
06-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Anyone would be an upgrade at this point! Give someone else a chance DFA today!:angry:

russ99
06-15-2009, 03:43 PM
I agree. It's time to cut him loose. Pods can spell Anderson in CF on days BA doesn't play and Nix can play LF. The longer Wise sticks around, the more tempted Ozzie will be to put him in the lineup twice a week. Ozzie's Wise man-crush is so great right now, he even had him bat in the 5 hole yesterday. Is this the first time in the history of baseball that a guy batting .146 with 0HRs 0RBI in June was batting 5th? As another poster pointed out, I don't hate Wise. He is trying out there but right now, he is hurting the team.

BTW - Another Sox player who is hitting .114 in June batted fifth on Friday - and you're advocating him to play every day, so that argument doesn't wash.

As for me, I'd prefer Kenny get another real OF who can hit, and relegate Wise to Charlotte and BA to the bench as a defensive replacement.

It's Dankerific
06-15-2009, 03:46 PM
BTW - Another Sox player who is hitting .114 in June batted fifth on Friday - and you're advocating him to play every day, so that argument doesn't wash.

As for me, I'd prefer Kenny get another real OF who can hit, and relegate Wise to Charlotte and BA to the bench as a defensive replacement.

Nice job creating a small enough sample size :rolleyes:

That same players OBP in that time, was .244.

tstrike2000
06-15-2009, 03:55 PM
He is trying out there but right now, he is hurting the team.

BA HR RBI OBP SLG
.133 0 0 .170 .133 are Wise's numbers after 45 at bats so far this season. I understand what you're saying. I almost want to tell Ozzie that if he wants to play Wise again to bat in the middle of the lineup, he should just open up the phone book and pick a name at random.

Tragg
06-15-2009, 08:06 PM
He did have a good spring
His spring obp was .301

A. Cavatica
06-15-2009, 08:06 PM
"Bag of balls, grab your glove. You're going in next inning."

TheAnswer32
06-15-2009, 11:20 PM
I think Wise is a horrible baseball player, but in his defense he was never given a full rehab stint. Instead he is expected to get his swing back playing sporadically in the ML. That's a pretty difficult task for a guy with marginal offensive talent.

I don't remember him ever having a swing so how can he get it back? He is done though and it's obvious Kenny and Ozzie have given up on him.

Foulke You
06-16-2009, 03:25 PM

Who am I advocating to play every day? If you are referring to my comment about Nix, you misunderstood me. I'm saying that Nix could fill in as a backup outfielder to spell Pods and BA and provide a bit more offense than what Wise is offering. At least Nix has some HRs and RBIs this year. He is a threat to do some damage. Wise is not.

As for your other point, I couldn't agree more. It would help if we had a better outfielder but unfortunately, we won't get that until Quentin is back.