PDA

View Full Version : If you see Ozzie at The Urinal, don't stand too close to him

DumpJerry
06-14-2009, 04:28 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/06/ozzie-guillen-sounds-off-on-wrigley-field-again-jack-mcdowell-contreras-to-start-thursday.html

He'll hurl.

BleacherBandit
06-14-2009, 06:58 PM
I think he was just using that as an expression, but knowing Ozzie, he may not be kidding.

ChiSoxGirl
06-14-2009, 09:57 PM
After going on a tour of Wrigley Field a few weeks ago (don't ask) and seeing just how small the visitor's clubhouse really is, I now totally understand why Ozzie & Co. hate going there to much. The quarters are REALLY cramped, and that was just with about 50 people on a ballpark tour in there; imagine an entire team, coaches, and the media! :o:

chisoxfanatic
06-14-2009, 09:58 PM
After going on a tour of Wrigley Field a few weeks ago (don't ask) and seeing just how small the visitor's clubhouse really is, I now totally understand why Ozzie & Co. hate going there to much. The quarters are REALLY cramped, and that was just with about 50 people on a ballpark tour in there; imagine an entire team, coaches, and the media! :o:
Did you take some photos of that clubhouse? It would be interesting to see how small exactly that room is.

DumpJerry
06-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Did you take some photos of that clubhouse? It would be interesting to see how small exactly that room is.
http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:kbur787YoUhUxM:http://www.astro.virginia.edu/%7Emfs4n/labtour/img_0923.jpg (http://www.astro.virginia.edu/%7Emfs4n/labtour/img_0923.jpg)
This is the pic from the Cubs' brochure......

ChiSoxGirl
06-14-2009, 11:16 PM

Yes, I did. See below....

There's about eight feet of clubhouse behind me, but this is basically it. That flat panel TV you see was only added last year; it was a tube TV prior to that one. And according to the tour guide, that extra eight feet behind me was only added in 1989 before the Cubs hosted the 1990 All-Star Game because the organization thought the original clubhouse wasn't big enough. Ya think?! THIS one isn't big enough!

The second picture is of the "training facilities" in the visitor's clubhouse. :rolleyes:

gobears1987
06-15-2009, 12:41 AM
That looks worse than the Indians' clubhouse in Major League.

Heck, I think that IS an outboard motor in the whirlpool.

WhiteSox1989
06-15-2009, 07:19 AM
The quote from Ozzie last year was better. About the rats being so big he saw them lifting weights.

A couple days ago he said something about wanting a lot of Venezuelans to eat Wrigley Field.:scratch:

DumpJerry
06-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Heck, I think that IS an outboard motor in the whirlpool.
It's one of those things behind the soda fountain that makes milk shakes.

For many years there have been stories in the press about the abysmal condition of the visitor's clubhouse at The Urinal, which includes a long narrow hallway and stairway to the dugout. This is probably why so many players prefer to be traded to the Cubs so that they can escape the conditions.

The Dead Things players complained heavily about the facilities since they had to negotiate everything with ice skates on.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-15-2009, 08:40 AM
And IIRC, isn't the postgame "press conference" area a former rake/storage closet?

I guess that's the tradeoff for beauty and tradition.

tstrike2000
06-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Some of my Cub fan friends that give me crap for being a Sox fan, making digs about the Sox attendance and the usual garbage like that even say that Wrigley is a dump. My usual reaction is, "You're just now figuring this out?"

ChiSoxGirl
06-15-2009, 10:32 AM
It's one of those things behind the soda fountain that makes milk shakes.

For many years there have been stories in the press about the abysmal condition of the visitor's clubhouse at The Urinal, which includes a long narrow hallway and stairway to the dugout. This is probably why so many players prefer to be traded to the Cubs so that they can escape the conditions.

The Dead Things players complained heavily about the facilities since they had to negotiate everything with ice skates on.

They took us down this hallway on our way to the visitor's dugout during the tour and the first thing I thought of was the Sox going through this for three games a year. I'm 5'2" and not nearly the size of a Major League ballplayer, and the quarters were cramped for me; I can't imagine what it's like to be the size of Thome or Pierzynski and maneuvering around down there!

thomas35forever
06-15-2009, 11:30 PM
If anyone saw the end of Jim Rose's report tonight, Santo responded to Ozzie's comments about the Urinal, calling it "a beautiful place" and wanting to discuss it with Ozzie "face-to-face."

russ99
06-16-2009, 12:06 AM

For the Winter Classic, they showed the Wings players traversing that long hallway/stairwell. It's something like 2-3 bends and 30 stairs.

Bad enough for major leaguers, but really something to see a hockey goalie with full pads try and get through...

DeadMoney
06-16-2009, 12:42 AM
For the Winter Classic, they showed the Wings players traversing that long hallway/stairwell. It's something like 2-3 bends and 30 stairs.

Bad enough for major leaguers, but really something to see a hockey goalie with full pads try and get through...

Here's a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70d6KEyYwqk&feature=related) to that exact walk...

...from about 0:13-2:30 is the news guy's walk from the clubhouse to the field and from about 3:40-4:22 is some of the Red Wings walk.