PDA

View Full Version : Questionable Derrek Lee Quote in Van Dyck's Column

Brian26
06-14-2009, 09:16 AM
The Sunday Morning Funnies were extra good today. Dick Van Dyck has some classic but subtle Cub-love/Sox-hate going on.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-14-cubs-bits-chicago-jun14,0,4856759.story

In regards to the large amount of Twins fans in the crowd of 40,000 at the Shrine yesterday, where it seemed Twins fans outnumbered Cubs fans, we get this gem from Derrek Lee:

"I wasn't expecting it," he said. "I was expecting it next week against the White Sox. I don't even know if the White Sox get that many [fans].

He expects White Sox fans to outnumber Cub fans at Wrigley this week? Or he doesn't know if the White Sox even have enough fans to do so? The quote seems to contradict itself and doesn't make any sense. Shoddy journalism on Van Dyck's part.

Then, of course, Van Dyck blames the ticket services for putting tickets in Twins' fans hands.

At the very least, the Twins fans were more vocal from the outset, so the ticket resale outlets must have done a good business.

The point that is not implied enough here in print is that Cub fans unloaded their own tickets for this series. The ticket services did not just create these available tickets out of thin air.

getonbckthr
06-14-2009, 09:32 AM
The Sunday Morning Funnies were extra good today. Dick Van Dyck has some classic but subtle Cub-love/Sox-hate going on.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-14-cubs-bits-chicago-jun14,0,4856759.story

In regards to the large amount of Twins fans in the crowd of 40,000 at the Shrine yesterday, where it seemed Twins fans outnumbered Cubs fans, we get this gem from Derrek Lee:

He expects White Sox fans to outnumber Cub fans at Wrigley this week? Or he doesn't know if the White Sox even have enough fans to do so? The quote seems to contradict itself and doesn't make any sense. Shoddy journalism on Van Dyck's part.

Then, of course, Van Dyck blames the ticket services for putting tickets in Twins' fans hands.

The point that is not implied enough here in print is that Cub fans unloaded their own tickets for this series. The ticket services did not just create these available tickets out of thin air.
I took it as He doesn't think even the Sox can't get in as many fans as the Twins did. Meaning the Twins were impressive.

Eddo144
06-14-2009, 10:23 AM

I think it's clear he's just saying that the Sox don't even have that many fans at Wrigley when they play there. Don't take every Sox-related quote from a Cub fan/player/writer as a dig.

downstairs
06-14-2009, 10:29 AM
I think it's clear he's just saying that the Sox don't even have that many fans at Wrigley when they play there. Don't take every Sox-related quote from a Cub fan/player/writer as a dig.

Yes, that's what he meant. Not everyone is anti-Sox.

The Cubs and Sox have both been working hard to try to get their fans to far outnumber the other in the interleague games. So because of this, yes, I'd say the Sox will have a harder time making a dent in the games at Wrigley. And vice-versa.

slavko
06-14-2009, 10:39 AM
This is clubhouse bulletin board material. It's a vendetta now. There'll be blood on the sand sometime soon. Or maybe not.

voodoochile
06-14-2009, 10:43 AM
This is clubhouse bulletin board material. It's a vendetta now. There'll be blood on the sand sometime soon. Or maybe not.

So someone's gonna charge the mound and clock a pitcher? Look out below in the stands if the benches empty...:o:

DumpJerry
06-14-2009, 10:56 AM
He's acknowledging the fact that Sox fans don't really give as much of a rat's ass about the Crosstown Classic as Cub fans do. We had a real World Series, this is just another three games on the schedule.

Twins fans showed up because they wanted to see the worst case scenario for outdoor baseball.

StillMissOzzie
06-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Maybe Van Dyke's comment was a subtle socio-economic dig at Sox fans, since the deep-pocketed Twinkie fans can better afford the scalper prices than the poor, paycheck-to-paycheck Sox fans.

Never you mind that scalpers seem to ask a lot more for Crosstown Classic games...

SMO
:scratch::?:

JB98
06-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Maybe Van Dyke's comment was a subtle socio-economic dig at Sox fans, since the deep-pocketed Twinkie fans can better afford the scalper prices than the poor, paycheck-to-paycheck Sox fans.

Never you mind that scalpers seem to ask a lot more for Crosstown Classic games...

SMO
:scratch::?:

I am a poor, paycheck-to-paycheck Sox fan. Oh, well.

I sold my tickets for the Crosstown Classic.

slavko
06-14-2009, 03:07 PM
So someone's gonna charge the mound and clock a pitcher? Look out below in the stands if the benches empty...:o:

I was just jivin' you. It's more likely to happen in the stands anyhow. I have a feeling the players like each other more than we think.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-14-2009, 04:03 PM
He's acknowledging the fact that Sox fans don't really give as much of a rat's ass about the Crosstown Classic as Cub fans do. We had a real World Series, this is just another three games on the schedule.

Twins fans showed up because they wanted to see the worst case scenario for outdoor baseball.
Dump, lately you've really had your "A game" with sarcasm.

DumpJerry
06-14-2009, 04:16 PM
[/B]
Dump, lately you've really had your "A game" with sarcasm.
Thanks. The doc changed my meds.

LoveYourSuit
06-14-2009, 09:44 PM
I think he meant that he was surprised that this many tickets were made available to Twins fans. He thinks Twins fans go more tix compared to Sox fans get when playing at Wrigley.

1908<2005
06-15-2009, 03:19 AM
He's talking about White Sox fans at Wrigley I think. Don't see any bashing in this statement.

tstrike2000
06-15-2009, 08:08 AM

Well played. That case is probably true...until the Twinkies play baseball in 32 degree weather at the beginning of April in their new digs.

Jerko
06-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Maybe those weren't really Twins fans. Maybe they were a faction of Sox fans who would rather see the Cubs lose than the Sox win. (semi-teal)

ewokpelts
06-15-2009, 09:58 AM
twins fans made this series thier annual vacation in a real city. and the high number of princeland transplants that moved here after college wanting to see thier two teams duke it out.

btw, tix for cubs/sox @ wrigley can be had for $50 in hand from scalpers in wrigleyville right now. since both teams kinda suck this year, the demand is WAY down.

scratch that...you can get a pair of upper deck tix below face for wed's game on stubhub. it'll be box office face when you pay the fees.