PDA

View Full Version : Contreras' Future

Taliesinrk
06-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Let's say the White Sox go on and finish this season with a dismal 75 wins (perhaps it doesn't even matter for the sake of this conversation whether they win it all or finish last). My question is: If Jose continues to well for the remainder of the season, do the Sox consider bringing him back. I know he's definitely getting up there, but when healthy, the guy is just plain dominant.

I ask the question because I'm guessing the Sox will be letting Bartolo go, Broadway was just traded, and it seems that the Sox will have at least one whole in their rotation. I also know that Jose can be extremely frustrating to watch when he's falling behind and not throwing strikes... this is just a hypothetical.

Further, while we're speaking of contracts... do the Sox bring back Pods for a one-year deal to be a lead-off hitter until a good one becomes available. He's not THAT old and if he truly is in as good of shape as he claims this new training has got him into, then perhaps he still has a few more solid year in him. We've seen what he can do healthy as well.

EDIT: (Kittle in particular) Please forgive me misuse of the homonym "whole". I'm terribly embarrassed.

voodoochile
06-13-2009, 05:06 PM
They would have to offer him arbitration and something like $10M just for next year. I don't see them doing that...

Flamer
06-13-2009, 05:07 PM
They would have to offer him arbitration and something like $10M just for next year. I don't see them doing that...

Couldn't the Sox sign him for a lower amount before the arbitration deadline?

Taliesinrk
06-13-2009, 05:08 PM

Is it the same as the Thomas situation in '06 where if they don't offer him a contract by a certain date, they can't sign him until May 1 or something like that?

voodoochile
06-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Is it the same as the Thomas situation in '06 where if they don't offer him a contract by a certain date, they can't sign him until May 1 or something like that?

Yes and to answer the other question, I don't know what the rules are if they were to negotiate with him now and if they could offer him say $7M/yr for 3 years or something.

I doubt Contreras will sign a one year deal anyway. This is probably his last chance to sign a multi-year deal given his age (verified or not)...

Daver
06-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Couldn't the Sox sign him for a lower amount before the arbitration deadline?

Only if he and his agent agree to that, I would hazard a guess his agent would opt for free agency.

Any player on your roster that is not offered arbitration can't be resigned by that team until May 1st, there is talk of changing this in the next contract negotiations, but as of right now it is still in effect.

LoveYourSuit
06-13-2009, 06:09 PM
You trade Contreras RIGHT NOW!!!

His stock will never be as high as it is right now. The Sox are not going anywhere.

Trade him now!

slavko
06-13-2009, 06:38 PM

His stock will never be as high as it is right now. The Sox are not going anywhere.

Trade him now!

Thinking along with me.

BainesHOF
06-13-2009, 06:54 PM
If Contreras continues pitching like this, we'll win more than 75 games. If we make the playoffs, then we'd have potential to do some damage with Contreras pitching like this.

I hope people treat Contreras with more respect. He earned it by his remarkable performance that helped us win the World Series and that continued with his winning streak into 2006. I found it sad how quick people were to jump on him and write him off this year, especially considering how hard he worked to return from his injury so soon. You don't give up on a pitcher with his stuff, even at his advanced age, until you've exhausted all possibilities with him.

Frater Perdurabo
06-13-2009, 08:11 PM
I have tremendous respect for Contreras, just like I have tremendous respect for Carlton Fisk and Tom Seaver. Fisk and Seaver cannot play anymore, and before his last two starts, many of us thought Contreras was done. I'll admit I was wrong about Contreras and hope he keeps up the great pitching. He's been dominant in these two starts. If he can keep this up, that gives the Sox a full rotation of reasonably reliable starters, which when combined with a pretty good bullpen, might just be enough to remain competitive in this division. Now they just need to get Quentin healthy and hit better with RISP.

DirtySox
06-13-2009, 08:29 PM

Trade him now!

Yep. I'd imagine they are shopping him if/when it's time to concede. Then Poreda is slotted into the rotation afterward to get him some experience before next year.

Lip Man 1
06-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Should Contreras continue to pitch well and the Sox continue to founder, they'll get something for him when they offer him around.

That's a lot more than I thought they'd get a few weeks ago for him and in the long term that's good for the club.

Lip

DumpJerry
06-13-2009, 10:02 PM

Trade him now!
Is there someone on the 25 man roster you do not advocate trading "RIGHT NOW?"

Just askin'

russ99
06-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Only if he and his agent agree to that, I would hazard a guess his agent would opt for free agency.

Any player on your roster that is not offered arbitration can't be resigned by that team until May 1st, there is talk of changing this in the next contract negotiations, but as of right now it is still in effect.

I believe that's not in effect anymore for free agency. As I recall they removed it in the last CBA, since Clemens re-signed as a FA with the Astros well before the May 1st deadline in 2005, and they didn't offer him arbitration.

But with Contreras, there's a different issue in play since he has an option. I believe teams can't re-sign players after their option was refused due to it essentially circumventing the contract. I don't think there's an actual rule, but more a players association "agreement" not to do so.

Mohoney
06-13-2009, 10:36 PM

Trade him now!

That seems a little bit cold to me. The guy busted his ass to come back this year from a major injury. The guy was an integral part of winning a World Series. I think he deserves a little bit better than to be shipped off just because his value is high.

If a trade is made that Contreras is OK with, then by all means pull the trigger, but if he wants to stay, I think we should give him the 20 or so starts for the rest of the season. He's earned it.

Britt Burns
06-13-2009, 11:39 PM

Trade him now!

Agree

tm1119
06-13-2009, 11:39 PM
That seems a little bit cold to me. The guy busted his ass to come back this year from a major injury. The guy was an integral part of winning a World Series. I think he deserves a little bit better than to be shipped off just because his value is high.

If a trade is made that Contreras is OK with, then by all means pull the trigger, but if he wants to stay, I think we should give him the 20 or so starts for the rest of the season. He's earned it.

Seriously, talk like this drives me crazy. Stop living in the past! This is more of a business than anything, if you have a chance to improve your business than you do it. If someone is willing to give us something that can improve our team for the future for Contreras than you do it. He is most likely going to walk after this year anyway, and this team isnt winning a championship this year, so why not?

soltrain21
06-14-2009, 12:14 AM

I could not disagree with this logic more.

mccoydp
06-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Jose, is, hands down, one of my favorite Sox players for his contributions to the 2005 team, and for his miraculous comeback this season. When he's on his game, he's a delight to watch. The team can greatly benefit from a fit, dominant Jose.

Dan H
06-14-2009, 08:20 AM
I don't think Sox have to do anything right now. The trading deadline is weeks away and the team has time to think about it wants to do. Besides, I don't think any team is going hand over a bunch of talent because of two lone starts, no matter how dominant those starts were.

I would like to know what the White Sox really want to do: Are they rebuilding or going for it? As it stands now, this isn't a very good club and we shouldn't be telling ourselves anything different. If the team is rebuilding, and Contreras continues to pitch well, he should be traded. This team has holes everywhere.

Brian26
06-14-2009, 09:22 AM
As wonderful as his last two starts have been, this thing could fall apart again with Contreras as early as Thursday afternoon. That's the way he's pitched with the Sox since mid 2006. I'm not convinced he's back to his '05 form yet.

voodoochile
06-14-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't think Sox have to do anything right now. The trading deadline is weeks away and the team has time to think about it wants to do. Besides, I don't think any team is going hand over a bunch of talent because of two lone starts, no matter how dominant those starts were.

I would like to know what the White Sox really want to do: Are they rebuilding or going for it? As it stands now, this isn't a very good club and we shouldn't be telling ourselves anything different. If the team is rebuilding, and Contreras continues to pitch well, he should be traded. This team has holes everywhere.

Might want to take until the ASG to figure that out. If the team falls back further in terms of getting to or above .500 and in the standings, then there's still a few weeks to make some quality trades afterwards, but if the team manages to put together soime wins and get close to .500 and pick up a few games in the standing in the process and are looking at getting TCQ back around the same time, then going for it might not be a bad idea especially if they can pick up a 2B fairly cheap.

If they can make the playoffs with their big 4 bats healthy and productive and a top 4 rotation of Buehrle, Floyd, Danks and Contreras, they will be a force.

But that's the eternal optimist in me. I'm sure I'll get hammered for actually saying it...

Brian26
06-14-2009, 09:29 AM
But that's the eternal optimist in me. I'm sure I'll get hammered for actually saying it...

This year, more than any other year this decade, seems to be wide open in the American League. I don't see an unbeatable team out there yet. I'm not sold on the Yankees. The AL pennant is there for the taking.

ode to veeck
06-14-2009, 11:07 AM

not by me .. way too early in the season to make the white flag vs going for it decisions