PDA

View Full Version : Lets try this.

LITTLE NELL
06-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Beckham might be more comfortable at short, so move him there where he belongs, Alexei goes to CF. I like Getz at 2b. Lets sink or swim with Fields at 3B for the rest of the season, if he does'nt do the job, show him door and we will have to sign a free agent third baseman next year.

voodoochile
06-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Let's not...

BigP50
06-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Lets NOT try Fields at 3rd, or any position

nug0hs
06-13-2009, 01:46 PM
I like the idea of putting players at their natural positions.

Alexei @ CF (he played a bunch of CF while in Cuba)
Getz @ 2B
Fields @ Quarterback in the CFL or something.

JB98
06-13-2009, 02:07 PM
I would also like to move Ramirez to CF and put Beckham at SS.

I just don't like Ramirez's defense at SS at all. He bobbles a lot of routine plays, and Konerko has saved him a lot of errors this year.

WhiteSoxOnly
06-13-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm in on that one...nothing at all to lose by giving it a shot.
Except more games maybe,but what the hell,it's not like we
are winning anything now.

voodoochile
06-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Can always do this switch next year. For now, the Sox have Pods primed to take over CF when TCQ comes back so you'd be putting in Fields/Getz for Pods and that is a bad idea, IMO.

Beckham isn't going to lose the ability to play SS and TCM hasn't spent anytime in CF to date this season, so the time to make this move would be next ST. Meanwhile Beckham can continue getting AB as the regular 3B to get him used to handling Major League pitchers. Then say the Sox stick with Pods next year or acquire a 3b and CF they can move TCM back to 2B. Right now the best thing is to minimize the number of AB guys like Getz, Fields NIx and BA get so this season the long term solution is Pods in CF, Beckham at 3B and TCM at SS which (providing Beckham actually starts to hit) gives the best combination of offense and defense.

JB98
06-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Can always do this switch next year. For now, the Sox have Pods primed to take over CF when TCQ comes back so you'd be putting in Fields/Getz for Pods and that is a bad idea, IMO.

Beckham isn't going to lose the ability to play SS and TCM hasn't spent anytime in CF to date this season, so the time to make this move would be next ST. Meanwhile Beckham can continue getting AB as the regular 3B to get him used to handling Major League pitchers. Then say the Sox stick with Pods next year or acquire a 3b and CF they can move TCM back to 2B. Right now the best thing is to minimize the number of AB guys like Getz, Fields NIx and BA get so this season the long term solution is Pods in CF, Beckham at 3B and TCM at SS which (providing Beckham actually starts to hit) gives the best combination of offense and defense.

That all assumes Quentin comes back and actually stays healthy. I hope that is the case, but if we lose Q for the season, they could experiment with Ramirez in CF later this year to see whether it would be a good option for 2010.

Basically, I am open-minded about any change with this team. The status quo isn't nearly good enough.

voodoochile
06-13-2009, 02:33 PM
That all assumes Quentin comes back and actually stays healthy. I hope that is the case, but if we lose Q for the season, they could experiment with Ramirez in CF later this year to see whether it would be a good option for 2010.

Basically, I am open-minded about any change with this team. The status quo isn't nearly good enough.

Agreed, but I wouldn't mind seeing both Ramirez and Bekham get as close to a full year as possible playing the positions they are currently at. Ramirez even for his mental lapses has shown the ability to make some spectacular plays at SS.

Dibbs
06-13-2009, 03:55 PM
I am up for anything that would get Beckham to SS or 2B. We are really messing with this kid.

TDog
06-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Agreed, but I wouldn't mind seeing both Ramirez and Bekham get as close to a full year as possible playing the positions they are currently at. Ramirez even for his mental lapses has shown the ability to make some spectacular plays at SS.

I might be wrong, but I'm guessing Beckham wouldn't be in the majors right now if the Sox didn't need him at third base. He has the tools to play third, certainly. As much potential as he has to be a solid offensive player, I don't believe right now he would be starting every day over Getz or Ramirez or even Anderson, however the scenario would work out. I think Ramirez has the tools to play third base, but I think he has more defensive potential at shortstop than Beckham does.

It's quite possible that if the White Sox don't find a good defensive third baseman that third base could end up being Beckham's position. But right now, he is the best option on defense the Sox have in their system. And if he is getting everyday experience against major league hitting, he is getting that experience.