PDA

View Full Version : June 13, 1957 Basebrawl

Lip Man 1
06-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Mods:

Not sure where to post this so please move where you think best

-------------------------

As you know I'm doing a blog for the Chicago Tribune on the White Sox and that enables me to have access to the Tribune's photographs and on a limited basis, their archives.

June 13, 1957 saw perhaps the best 'basebrawl' in the sport's history as the Yankees and Sox went at it at Comiskey Park. Larry Doby dropped Yankee pitcher Art Ditmar with a left hook that started a free for all that lasted a half hour.

If you go to my blog and look on the 'This Date In White Sox History 6/13' section you'll find a link. Click on it and you can read the back page of the Tribune from the following day as they talk about the brawl. Using the zoom feature you can read the game stories by writers Irving Vaughn, Dave Condon and Robert Cromie. Also in the lower right corner of the page you'll find an interesting tidbit about attendence as both the Sox and Cubs were home that weekend.

I'll be doing this from time to time as a way to get WSI readers to learn a bit more about White Sox history.

Here's the link to the blog:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-white-sox-confidential/

Lip

TornLabrum
06-13-2009, 12:12 AM
I was at that game and have some vivid full-color memories of Enos Slaughter tangling with Walt Dropo and leaving the field in tatters. We were sitting in what were then called grandstand seats behind the Sox dugout and had a great view, well in my case my view was from on top of my dad's shoulders. I have the rare privilege of having been at that brawl game and the one vs. the Tigers a few years back.

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2009, 02:10 AM
I wasn't there, but I sure remember it.

LITTLE NELL
06-13-2009, 06:09 AM
Lip. in the attendance piece it said that the Cub series with the Giants was in New York ,not Chicago. Attendance was horrible that year at the Polo Grounds because it was their last season before moving to Frisco.
Still back in those days the Sox outdrew the Cubs by a margin of 3 to 2, and some years 2 to 1.

TommyJohn
06-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Mods:

Not sure where to post this so please move where you think best

-------------------------

As you know I'm doing a blog for the Chicago Tribune on the White Sox and that enables me to have access to the Tribune's photographs and on a limited basis, their archives.

June 13, 1957 saw perhaps the best 'basebrawl' in the sport's history as the Yankees and Sox went at it at Comiskey Park. Larry Doby dropped Yankee pitcher Art Ditmar with a left hook that started a free for all that lasted a half hour.

If you go to my blog and look on the 'This Date In White Sox History 6/13' section you'll find a link. Click on it and you can read the back page of the Tribune from the following day as they talk about the brawl. Using the zoom feature you can read the game stories by writers Irving Vaughn, Dave Condon and Robert Cromie. Also in the lower right corner of the page you'll find an interesting tidbit about attendence as both the Sox and Cubs were home that weekend.

I'll be doing this from time to time as a way to get WSI readers to learn a bit more about White Sox history.

Here's the link to the blog:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-white-sox-confidential/

Lip

There is a great pic from that brawl of Larry Doby clocking Ditmar as the ump is attempting to intervene. I'd love to have a copy of it, but can't find it anywhere.

TheMilkman
06-15-2009, 10:38 PM
That backpage is a very interesting read...

The article at the lower right says it 'started' a couple days before when when Minnie Minoso thought NY pitcher Al Cicotte was throwing at him. According to Baseball Reference, Al was the grandnephew of Black Sox ringleader Eddie Cicotte.

That's something I love about baseball history. There always seem to be odd coincidences and relations across generations

TDog
06-15-2009, 11:44 PM
I was at that game and have some vivid full-color memories of Enos Slaughter tangling with Walt Dropo and leaving the field in tatters. ...

This took place a month and four days before I was born in California, so I don't remember it.

But when going through some old books years ago, I came across a volume of the best news photographs of 1957. The one titled "Enos Gets Slaughtered" was memorable. But it was in black and white.

I was at the May 1, 1970, game against the Tigers at Old Comiskey, during which a huge fight broke out. There really is no such thing as a good baseball fight, though.

michned
06-16-2009, 12:16 AM
According to Baseball Reference, Al was the grandnephew of Black Sox ringleader Eddie Cicotte.

I had an Al Cicotte baseball card and on the back the little caricature said "Al's uncle was part of the Black Sox scandal."

I long for those politically incorrect days of yesteryear! :smile:

Jogurt
06-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Lip. in the attendance piece it said that the Cub series with the Giants was in New York ,not Chicago. Attendance was horrible that year at the Polo Grounds because it was their last season before moving to Frisco.
Still back in those days the Sox outdrew the Cubs by a margin of 3 to 2, and some years 2 to 1.

Also, if you look at the standings at the time, the White Sox and Yankees are 1st and 2nd place, and the Giants and Cubs are 6th and 8th.

Am I the only one that thinks the bit on Dorothy Comiskey-Rigney & Chuck Comiskey right next to the standings is hilarious (both the way it is written and the content)? You don't see stuff like that anymore.

vinny
06-16-2009, 10:04 AM
There is a great pic from that brawl of Larry Dody clocking Ditmar as the ump is attempting to intervene. I'd love to have a copy of it, but can't find it anywhere.
Didn't find that one, but this link (http://books.google.com/books?id=XNIqinMV3-4C&pg=RA2-PT141&lpg=RA2-PT141&dq=doby+ditmar+fight&source=bl&ots=LjhBXz7vqO&sig=jMFIsRQyGxVi4zFlKzCN7kUSJ68&hl=en&ei=86M3SqH8OZPAM6SkvJAN&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5) will take you to the book "Field of Screams" on Google Books. There's some mention of the fight on page 270 and a pic of Dropo pounding Slaughter on the previous page.

There's also a brief description of the fight in Sal Maglie's book "Close Shave", also on Google Books (http://books.google.com/books?id=sxQ0aNbCw-kC&pg=PA340&lpg=PA340&dq=doby+ditmar+fight&source=bl&ots=qaC1Xs-nN-&sig=7tP8-mDS0bF7v0fFxFQsCtJoI9g&hl=en&ei=aqI3Ss3wIoTEM8WixY4N&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10). Not sure if the quotes attributed to Ditmar and Doby are true, but certainly colorful.