PDA

View Full Version : Cubs to Sox fan conversion?

Whitesox029
06-12-2009, 11:01 PM
My friend sent me a text message after Milton Bradley's exploits in RF today:
That's it. I'm done. I'm switching.
He'd previously mentioned this possibility to me, and he's got the character of a Sox fan...unfortunately he grew up on the other side. I told him the first step was to get rid of his Cubs gear, and he said he gave it to his sister (a bit of a cop-out, but I'll take it). What do you suppose I should do to make sure he stays the course? I know it isn't likely, but I told him the first step was to avoid watching Chicago baseball for a week (mostly because of the crosstown series), and that we'll take it from there. Suggestions? Ideas? Experiences? I plan on making it clear that once he's fully on this side, I'll never respect him again if he goes back.

DSpivack
06-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Despite pressure against it from my family, I gradually made the switch. Then again, the catalyst was my dad taking me to an ALCS game in 1993, when I was 9. By Junior High I was a hardcore Sox fan.

skobabe8
06-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Take him to Schallers Pump and pour water over his head as a baptism.

BleacherBandit
06-12-2009, 11:14 PM
From birth to around when I was five, my parents tried to make me a Cubs fan, since we live on the North Shore. Well, they didn't "try", but both of them aren't from around here, and they decided to take me to both Cubs and White Sox games, and for a few years, I wasn't much of a fan of either team---both because I was too young to understand baseball and because they confused me by taking me to see both teams. Thus, I am ashamed to still own some relics from my childhood--several pieces of Cubs paraphanillia from the early 90s.

Now, that's not saying I was a Cubs fan, because I didn't really get it. But you have to understand that I--unlike the South Siders---made a conscious decision to become a White Sox fan around 1992, when I was around six. Mostly it was because Frank Thomas was cool, and because Sox games were easier for my parents to take me to because of the parking, so we went to more games.

However, many people try to tell me that I'm not a real Sox fan because I wasn't born into such fandom, especially around here where the Cubs fans like to see me as a defector.

You have to realize that---while a bit unlike my story---many Sox fans aren't born into their fandom, and have to make a conscious decision to change. This guy didn't switch because the Sox won the World Series, so he's not a fan of convinience. He's switching because he has finally realized that the Cubs are a team of convinience, that they'll do anything to win the World Series that has alluded them, and that includes dealing with dead beats and idiots for far too long--people like Sammy Sosa, and more recently Milton Bradley. He has realized that the Cubs are fail, and that's something a Sox fan can appreciate.

Jaysox
06-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Take him to Schallers Pump and pour water over his head as a baptism.

Hahahahaha!!!! You win at life.

DSpivack
06-12-2009, 11:23 PM
From birth to around when I was five, my parents tried to make me a Cubs fan, since we live on the North Shore. Well, they didn't "try", but both of them aren't from around here, and they decided to take me to both Cubs and White Sox games, and for a few years, I wasn't much of a fan of either team---both because I was too young to understand baseball and because they confused me by taking me to see both teams. Thus, I am ashamed to still own some relics from my childhood--several pieces of Cubs paraphanillia from the early 90s.

Now, that's not saying I was a Cubs fan, because I didn't really get it. But you have to understand that I--unlike the South Siders---made a conscious decision to become a White Sox fan around 1992, when I was around six. Mostly it was because Frank Thomas was cool, and because Sox games were easier for my parents to take me to because of the parking, so we went to more games.

However, many people try to tell me that I'm not a real Sox fan because I wasn't born into such fandom, especially around here where the Cubs fans like to see me as a defector.

You have to realize that---while a bit unlike my story---many Sox fans aren't born into their fandom, and have to make a conscious decision to change. This guy didn't switch because the Sox won the World Series, so he's not a fan of convinience. He's switching because he has finally realized that the Cubs are a team of convinience, that they'll do anything to win the World Series that has alluded them, and that includes dealing with dead beats and idiots for far too long--people like Sammy Sosa, and more recently Milton Bradley. He has realized that the Cubs are fail, and that's something a Sox fan can appreciate.

Having grown up in Evanston, my story reads very much like yours.

Both of my parents, however, grew up big baseball fans in Rogers Park, although oddly enough neither was a huge fan of either team specifically. My mom's older brothers made her memorize the starting lineups of both Chicago squads in the late 50's; my dad went to both Comiskey and Wrigley growing up. My mom's family were the real Cub fans; my dad was a huge sports fan and baseball his favorite, but oddly enough, never a huge fan of any one team. His father went to NY a lot on work, and thus he actually was a Yankees fan as a kid. Later on in his life, living in Springfield, he became fond of the Cardinals as he was tired of putting up with the Cubs organization as a fan. Both have remarked how back then there wasn't the animosity between the two fanbases as there seems to be since interleague play came into being.

Growing up in Evanston, I was certainly in the minority as a Sox fan. However, I was not alone. Quite a few of my friends in HS were Sox fans. Either because of family [the family were Sox fans for whatever reason] or for reasons of choice, as your story or mine would read.

longtimesoxguy
06-12-2009, 11:29 PM
We don't want or need him or any of them!!!!!!!!!!

BleacherBandit
06-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Both of my parents, however, grew up big baseball fans in Rogers Park, although oddly enough neither was a huge fan of either team specifically. My mom's older brothers made her memorize the starting lineups of both Chicago squads in the late 50's; my dad went to both Comiskey and Wrigley growing up. My mom's family were the real Cub fans; my dad was a huge sports fan and baseball his favorite, but oddly enough, never a huge fan of any one team. His father went to NY a lot on work, and thus he actually was a Yankees fan as a kid. Later on in his life, living in Springfield, he became fond of the Cardinals as he was tired of putting up with the Cubs organization as a fan. Both have remarked how back then there wasn't the animosity between the two fanbases as there seems to be since interleague play came into being.

Same with my father. He's from Iowa, and growing up he was both a Twins fan and a Cubs fan. When he moved here, he kind of discarded his quasi-allegiance to the Cubs and went to both Sox and Cubs games, but again--he went to more games at Comiskey because you could actually park your car there. But alas, he really isn't a Sox fan at heart, or to any team really although he knows more about baseball than I do several times over. He's memorized the winning pitchers of every world series game from 1950 on, which I still find should be physically impossible. And I still drag him to Sox games every summer I'm home from school.

Again--you have to take these conversion stories with a grain of salt. Any team should welcome new fans, because God knows, the Sox wouldn't have a large fanbase without their national fans and us fans up north, in enemy territory.

DumpJerry
06-13-2009, 01:09 AM
My friend sent me a text message after Milton Bradley's exploits in RF today:

He'd previously mentioned this possibility to me, and he's got the character of a Sox fan...unfortunately he grew up on the other side. I told him the first step was to get rid of his Cubs gear, and he said he gave it to his sister (a bit of a cop-out, but I'll take it). What do you suppose I should do to make sure he stays the course? I know it isn't likely, but I told him the first step was to avoid watching Chicago baseball for a week (mostly because of the crosstown series), and that we'll take it from there. Suggestions? Ideas? Experiences? I plan on making it clear that once he's fully on this side, I'll never respect him again if he goes back.
First of all, you must make three serious attempts to talk him out of it. Secondly, he must do it not because he harbors ill-will towards the Baby Bruins, but because he wants to embrace the White Sox, regardless of the Cubs. We don't want any haters.

palehozenychicty
06-13-2009, 01:53 AM
I'd have him eat a churro, then a kosher, then an elote, get him to join WSI, and it'll be done. :D:

Rohan
06-13-2009, 02:19 AM
I'd have him eat a churro, then a kosher, then an elote, get him to join WSI, and it'll be done. :D:

Where do you find Kosher's anymore? :whiner:

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Where do you find Kosher's anymore? :whiner:Where do you find kosher's what?

Rohan
06-13-2009, 02:35 AM
Where do you find kosher's what?

The Hot Dog. They stopped serving them at the cell and all the Best Kosher's closed down. Sarah Lee bought them out and shut the chain down.

Whitesox029
06-13-2009, 02:36 AM
This is a bit unintelligent, I think. I told you, he is knowledgeable enough to be a Sox fan, and roots for the Cubs the same way we all root for the Sox. He just got the team wrong.
First of all, you must make three serious attempts to talk him out of it. Secondly, he must do it not because he harbors ill-will towards the Baby Bruins, but because he wants to embrace the White Sox, regardless of the Cubs. We don't want any haters.

I said, "are you sure you want to do this?"
I think this should count as #1, even though I didn't technically attempt to talk him out of it... I still made him stop and think. And I must say, I myself am a hater of the Cubs, the only difference being I was born and raised that way.
My friend is a man who may simply be seeing the light...that the Cubs as an organization absolutely exude futility, almost visibly. I can't fault him for wanting to support the team whose fans he psychologically is more in line with, and who has some recent experience with victories.

parlaycard
06-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Tell him to keep his Fukudome jersey and stay away from the Cell.

You pick a team and you stick with it.

I wasnt real happy with Chris Snopek, Salome Barojas, Todd Ritchie, Kevin Bell, Mike Caruso, David Wells, Jim Parque, Matt Kemp, Claudell Washington, Ron Karkovice, Tim Hulett, Nick Swisher, Jerry Owens, Jerry Manuel, Terry Bevington, Jerry Dybzinski, Jaimie Navarro, etc.

But that doesnt mean because my team sucks, I'd go root for the Cubs.

Thats pathetic.

Redus Redux
06-13-2009, 11:48 AM

In related news, I need these pesky kids to get the hell off my lawn.

pearso66
06-13-2009, 12:00 PM

I too declared my Sox fandom in 1992, I had gone to many Cubs games in the 80's and considered myself a Cubs fan, I was young though, and had never heard of the Sox. Then in 92 I went to a Sox game for a birthday party, I think I was 11, and was hooked. I never looked back.

As for the title of this thread, I'd make your friend think about what he's doing. Make sure it's what he really wants to do and not just a gut check reaction to a whole bunch of stupid plays in one game.

voodoochile
06-13-2009, 12:11 PM

Really? So I should just go **** myself?

:rolleyes:

There are many people who have made the successful switch. I think it comes down to really wanting it. The rest is just window dressing. It's like quitting any unhealthy addiction, no one can force you to, but if you decide to make the change and really want to be done with the crappy part of your life, you will. If not, you'll go back to it eventually anyway...

longtimesoxguy
06-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Tell them to stay were they are!!!!!!

doublem23
06-13-2009, 12:27 PM

:rolleyes:

Yeah, you already posted that... I don't think posting something twice makes it any more real.

peridot
06-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Switching right after a World Series win is BS.

But switching right now from a .500 team that's 3.5 games out of first to a .452 team that's 6.5 games out after both teams were recent division champs isn't bandwagonning. That's got to be disgust with some deeper, more systemic aspect of the Cubs than whether or not they're winners.

There's a point where I think someone can truly look around and say, "Wow, I don't like the culture anymore, the team itself is a choking disaster, the history isn't all that damn great, and my fellow fans as a phenomenon are an embarrassment. I don't enjoy any aspect of this anymore." There's a point where one can just say, "Man, I simply don't like this team anymore, and I probably never will again." That's when loyalty for loyalty's sake becomes ridiculous in my opinion. Then you either find a new team or stop watching MLB, though a friend of mine who is a Pirates fan did take the latter approach.

Shoeless
06-13-2009, 01:01 PM
I too converted, but I was six and had only ever been to two Sox games and one Cubs game. My family didn't have cable so I could barely ever watch the Sox. If someone wants to be a Sox fan, they should do it.

central44
06-13-2009, 01:16 PM
I switched once I realized what each team stood for--the Cubs caring more about selling their ballpark and experience than actually winning games on the field. Eventually it clicked for me that the Cubs were using WGN to hype themselves to tons of people around the world, and the Tribune ownership made a habit of building them up more than they deserved. The result was a team that sold out every game, and began to give off the impression that they didn't even care if they were good or not, as long as fans flocked to Wrigley Field every day--which, they ignorantly did.

At the same time, the Sox were putting together better seasons almost every year, and barely got any credit. I decided that I would rather watch a team that needed to win and be competetive in order to get fan support, as opposed to a team that could capitalize on their "ballpark experience" and overwhelming popularity nationwide.

Since 2004 and 2005, the culture of the Cubs has changed a bit. I think it's because they realized that, after lots of fans jumped ship, they were in danger of permanently losing ground unless they started winning, and thus the payroll shot up. Either way though, i'm glad I saw the light and made the switch. It shouldn't take Boston and the Sox winning championships in back to back years to make you realize, "hey, maybe we should try and win one too." Of all my grievances with the Cubs, that logic might be the most pathetic of all.

DumpJerry
06-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Where do you find kosher's what?

The Hot Dog. They stopped serving them at the cell and all the Best Kosher's closed down. Sarah Lee bought them out and shut the chain down.

They still have kosher hot dogs, they are made by Vienna. I am not aware if these hot dogs (or the ones made by Best) owned anything, however.

I said, "are you sure you want to do this?"
I think this should count as #1, even though I didn't technically attempt to talk him out of it.
Weak attempt. Make him watch the 2007 season and then interrogate him about his intentions.

Then have him join longtimesoxguy for a beer. :tongue:

voodoochile
06-13-2009, 01:28 PM

This the second time you've posted something that directly tells me my fandom isn't valid and that you wish I'd never become a Sox fan in the first place. Are you trying to piss me off?

Don't post this same bull**** a third time... Got it?

whtsox13
06-13-2009, 02:01 PM
They still have kosher hot dogs, they are made by Vienna. I am not aware if these hot dogs (or the ones made by Best) owned anything, however.

Weak attempt. Make him watch the 2007 season and then interrogate him about his intentions.

Then have him join longtimesoxguy for a beer. :tongue:

The Vienna hot dogs are not Kosher. They are just jumbo hot dogs.

TommyJohn
06-13-2009, 03:18 PM
You know, I read a lot about people who switch from the Cubs to the Sox, but never once have I heard the opposite-A Sox fan changing over to the Cubs. Perhaps they are out there on internet boards, who knows. But has anyone encountered a Cub fan who used to be a Sox fan? Do they exist?

Chrisaway
06-13-2009, 03:25 PM
I fully converted at the age of 9 with the help of a senile old man decked out in Cubs gear at Lincoln Park Zoo. It was terrifying that an old man would yell such terrible things to a child for wearing a White Sox hat. Needless to say it was a blessing in disguise. Thanks creepy old man.:D:

peridot
06-13-2009, 03:30 PM
What would Sox-to-Cubs converts say? That they'd prefer baseball-lite?

southside rocks
06-13-2009, 03:33 PM
The Vienna hot dogs are not Kosher. They are just jumbo hot dogs.

You are correct.

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/food/1475076,CST-NWS-hotdog13.article

http://www.viennabeef.com/about/faq/#FAQ56

WSox597
06-13-2009, 03:41 PM
You know, I read a lot about people who switch from the Cubs to the Sox, but never once have I heard the opposite-A Sox fan changing over to the Cubs. Perhaps they are out there on internet boards, who knows. But has anyone encountered a Cub fan who used to be a Sox fan? Do they exist?

I know a former Sox fan who now roots for the Cubs. I used to work with a guy who switched when Einhorn and Reinsdorf took over the Sox. He absolutely hates both of them.

Of course, it probably helped that the Cubs won their division in 1984. But the Sox had a great year in '83, and he still switched.

My sister switched from Cubs to Sox after she got married.

longtimesoxguy
06-13-2009, 04:08 PM
This the second time you've posted something that directly tells me my fandom isn't valid and that you wish I'd never become a Sox fan in the first place. Are you trying to piss me off?

Don't post this same bull**** a third time... Got it?

I knew deep down you were "one of them" I knew it. I bet if you looked hard enough you can find your blue floppy hat somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

voodoochile
06-13-2009, 04:10 PM
I knew deep down you were "one of them" I knew it. I bet if you looked hard enough you can find your blue floppy hat somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Bye...

Whappeh
06-13-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm a Sox to Sox fan.

Went from Red to White... and feel better for it.

SoxGirl4Life
06-13-2009, 04:37 PM
My kids spent their early childhood confused with a dad who's a "Chicago" fan. Bought them Cubbie outfits when they were babies and everything :o:

However, nothing warmed my heart more than my now 20 year old daughter telling me she wanted a Sox jacket to wear while she's at school because she can't believe kids are stupid enough to be Cubs fans yet smart enough to be in college. That got us talking and she made a comment that she hates what the Cubs stand for. :D: And trust me, there's been no bashing on my part. We live on the south side, but I let them choose for themselves. She is, however, dating a Twins fan!! :?:

My son turned out right too. He has his own collection of Sox hats and a Bobby Jenks jersey.

TommyJohn
06-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Geez, what was this guy's deal? Does he just love being angry? Good grief.

voodoochile
06-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Geez, what was this guy's deal? Does he just love being angry? Good grief. My guess is he was looking for street cred...

WhiteSox1989
06-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Everyone in my family is a Sox fan.

My sister in law was a Cubs fan until she was about 23. She just gradually became a Sox fan. She sold all of her shirts and Cubs gear in a garage sale, and regularly goes to Sox games now. She also, which I find weird, bashes the Cubs and the fans. Kind of weird, but whatever.

voodoochile
06-13-2009, 06:57 PM

My sister in law was a Cubs fan until she was about 23. She just gradually became a Sox fan. She sold all of her shirts and Cubs gear in a garage sale, and regularly goes to Sox games now. She also, which I find weird, bashes the Cubs and the fans. Kind of weird, but whatever.

It's not uncommon for people who make the swap to become vocal about how crappy the flubbies are. I did this for years after switching because I felt like I had wasted time and energy and wanted others to see what I did which is that the flubbies sucked and always would. I gave that stuff up later in life because it led to too many arguments with friends who are flubbie fans, but like a recovering alcoholic or smoker who becomes vocal about their past vice, recovering flubholics tend to be vocal about those who still suffer from the disease...

BoysMom3
06-13-2009, 08:04 PM
My dad grew up a big Sox fan in Joliet. He switched to the Cubs when they stopped televising the games on t.v. so more fans would come to the games. (that's what he told me.) He was really pissed off that they would do that to the fans.

I grew up a Cubs fan because that's what was on the t.v. I can't remember seeing Sox games on t.v., but I would hear about them on the radio and the news and liked them because they seemed cool. I had one of those Southside Hitmen shirts and liked what little I did know about them. An old boyfriend took me to a Sox game in high school, and I absolutely loved it. I took a long break from following baseball several years ago. When I started watching again, I started watching the Sox because my husband grew up as a big fan. He wanted me to watch the games too so we had something to do together. He also told me at the beginning of the season that they were going to go really far that year - it was 2005.

That's not why I became a fan though (the World Series) - I just fell in love with the team and initially thought I'd be a fan of both teams. I remembered a big letdown in the 80's when I was in high school from the Cubs, and I did think they managed to blow it a lot. When that incident happened with Bartman, I was totally and completely over a team that always blows it and then tries to blame someone (or something else.) Sox only ever since.

((voodoo))

michned
06-13-2009, 08:48 PM

I have a nephew who switched from Sox to Cubs in 2003, and he once told me he made the switch because he was about 20 or 21 if I recall, and he decided that it was fun to get hammered in the bleachers with his Cub fan friends.

Man, talk about perpetuating a stereotype...

Nellie_Fox
06-14-2009, 02:25 AM
You know, I read a lot about people who switch from the Cubs to the Sox, but never once have I heard the opposite-A Sox fan changing over to the Cubs. Perhaps they are out there on internet boards, who knows. But has anyone encountered a Cub fan who used to be a Sox fan? Do they exist?Oh, hell yeah. I saw a lot of people who changed over in '69. I left for the Army with my older brother a Sox fan just like me, and when I came home, he was a Cubs fan. I was horrified.

Of course, he changed back some years ago, and denies that he was ever a Cubs fan, but I know what I know.

TommyJohn
06-14-2009, 02:39 AM

It's not uncommon for people who make the swap to become vocal about how crappy the flubbies are. I did this for years after switching because I felt like I had wasted time and energy and wanted others to see what I did which is that the flubbies sucked and always would. I gave that stuff up later in life because it led to too many arguments with friends who are flubbie fans, but like a recovering alcoholic or smoker who becomes vocal about their past vice, recovering flubholics tend to be vocal about those who still suffer from the disease...

Converts to Catholicism always wind up more Catholic than the Pope himself.

PalehosePlanet
06-14-2009, 02:56 AM

I wasnt real happy with Chris Snopek, Salome Barojas, Todd Ritchie, Kevin Bell, Mike Caruso, David Wells, Jim Parque, Matt Kemp, Claudell Washington, Ron Karkovice, Tim Hulett, Nick Swisher, Jerry Owens, Jerry Manuel, Terry Bevington, Jerry Dybzinski, Jaimie Navarro, etc.

Thats pathetic.

I think you meant Steve Kemp, whom we traded Chet Lemon for. Anyway, Kemper was a good ballplayer and I had no problems with Barojas and Karko; the rest I agree with.

As far as team allegiance. As a kid, growing up in West Rogers Park, I liked both teams as did most kids that I grew up around. I became an all-out Sox die hard during the '77 Hit Men year.

parlaycard
06-14-2009, 12:19 PM
I think you meant Steve Kemp, whom we traded Chet Lemon for. Anyway, Kemper was a good ballplayer and I had no problems with Barojas and Karko; the rest I agree with.

As far as team allegiance. As a kid, growing up in West Rogers Park, I liked both teams as did most kids that I grew up around. I became an all-out Sox die hard during the '77 Hit Men year.

You're right, it was Matt Kemp, and he did have a decent season before the moving on.

Karkovice on the otherhand, he was brutal. He played for the Sox for over a decade and had a lifetime average of .221. He sucked. I dont care how good of an arm he might have had. Not to mention, he would be right up there in the ugliest players of all time list. Not that i care. But that part of what I remember about him.

Red Barchetta
06-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Although I was never a "fan", I started watching the Cubs first when I was a kid mostly because living over 40 miles from Chicago, I was only able to get Channel 9 (WGN) broadcasts. The SOX had moved to Channel 44 back then and I could barely get any signal.

My first game was at Wrigley Field and I remember thinking it was on old and ugly ballpark compared to the cool modern parks that I saw on the NBC game of the week.

After suffering through Chicago baseball during my childhood in the 70s, I "officially" became a SOX fan when they signed Carlton Fisk. His walk-off HR in the World Series was one the coolest childhood memories I had and the fact that this great ballplayer was now playing in Chicago sealed the deal for me.

I haven't looked back despite the mistakes the organization has made, mostly PR mistakes that have since caused the birth of "Cub Nation".

I'm old enough to remember that the city was not always a "Cub Town" as ESPN, WGN and other media companies love to point out. Unfortunately, as bad as the Cubs were in the 70s, the SOX were often just as bad. That all changed in 1983 when the SOX drew 2 Million fans. Unfortunately, the well-oiled Tribune marketing machine was just getting started and then the Cubs had their division win in 1984. I remember seeing suits and ties in the Wrigley Field bleachers for the first time and thinking our world has indeed changed! :(:

Windy City
06-14-2009, 01:20 PM
I am actually currently a Cubs fan. Been that way ever since catching the team on WGN in my youth. However, I do also like the White Sox as well. I have always admired from afar how hard the team has played over the years. I cheered for them in the 1993, 2000, 2005 and 2008 MLB postseason because I thought it was cool just to see a Chicago team in the playoffs. I go to both Cubs and Sox games quite often and both ballparks are unique in their own way. I love the moderness of the Cell and the historic nature of Wrigley. Both fanbases are very passionate about their teams, and want them to win desperately. You have to respect that.

soltrain21
06-14-2009, 01:32 PM
My dad and grandpa would have probably disowned me if I wasn't a Sox fan. A couple of my friends cheer "against" the teams their dads like, and I've never understood that.

white sox bill
06-14-2009, 01:54 PM
I am actually currently a Cubs fan. Been that way ever since catching the team on WGN in my youth. However, I do also like the White Sox as well. I have always admired from afar how hard the team has played over the years. I cheered for them in the 1993, 2000, 2005 and 2008 MLB postseason because I thought it was cool just to see a Chicago team in the playoffs. I go to both Cubs and Sox games quite often and both ballparks are unique in their own way. I love the moderness of the Cell and the historic nature of Wrigley. Both fanbases are very passionate about their teams, and want them to win desperately. You have to respect that.

Welcome aboard!! To save a Moderator a few keystrokes, we welcome Cub fans also. But just beware you are on a Sox board. There is a bit of bias here. That being said, hope you enjoy your stay here and go Sox!!

Windy City
06-14-2009, 02:12 PM
I understand there is a Sox bias here. I have no problem with that. I just like talking baseball.

UChicagoHP
06-14-2009, 02:13 PM
My dad and grandpa would have probably disowned me if I wasn't a Sox fan. A couple of my friends cheer "against" the teams their dads like, and I've never understood that.

I had a similar problem, well kind of. Gramps was a huge Cubs fan, and would buy me icecream if I sat down with him and cheered on the Cubs. My pops would beat me with his belt if I did that in his house. I kind of liked both teams, and I still do...

:runs away:

LongLiveFisk
06-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Both fanbases are very passionate about their teams, and want them to win desperately. You have to respect that.

Well, I would agree that true diehard Cubs fans want them to win desperately, it's the fratboys and trixies that sit in the bleachers, only there to be seen, who really don't care one way or the other. And unfortunately there seem to be too many of those types on the North Side. That is, I believe, the #1 reason for the anti-Cubs sentiment you see from a lot of White Sox fans. If you are going to like the Cubs, then fine, but be a Cubs fan, not a Wrigley Field fan or someone who says they are a diehard but can't name three guys on the team! (And for the record I am not saying you fall into that category, just making a point. :smile:)

But welcome aboard! :cool:

ChicagoG19
06-14-2009, 02:49 PM

I had a friend in high school who converted from Sox to Cubs during their playoff run in 2003. He told me at the time that he was switching because the Cubs were going places and the Sox were never going to do anything. We all know what happened two years later. But to his credit, he has remained a Cubs fan despite the Sox World Series win.

Windy City
06-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Well, I would agree that true diehard Cubs fans want them to win desperately, it's the fratboys and trixies that sit in the bleachers, only there to be seen, who really don't care one way or the other. And unfortunately there seem to be too many of those types on the North Side. That is, I believe, the #1 reason for the anti-Cubs sentiment you see from a lot of White Sox fans. If you are going to like the Cubs, then fine, but be a Cubs fan, not a Wrigley Field fan or someone who says they are a diehard but can't name three guys on the team! (And for the record I am not saying you fall into that category, just making a point. :smile:)

But welcome aboard! :cool:

I go back to when Larry Bowa was at short for the Cubbies. Hey, back in the day Vance Law was my guy. So, yes, I do know a lot about the Cubs, my friend. Also the White Sox as well. I know Alex Fernandez, Wilson Alvarez, "Black Jack" McDowell were a heck of a rotation. Robin Ventura was solid third basemen back for the Sox with Ozzie and Joey Cora on the infield. I thought Lyle Mouton was going to be the guy in the OF for the South Side nine.I remember Charile Hough's stint with the Sox in the 90s, and the promising Shawn Abner. :wink:

I am just a baseball nut, man.

grenda12
06-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Here's a form for your friend to fill out to complete the transition from cubs fan to Sox Fan.

twinsuck
06-14-2009, 06:02 PM
My dad is a Cubs fan and my mom is a Sox fan and I choose to root for the Sox when I was a little kid because the Sox's colors were cooler and I liked their logo better. Plus, I believe my mom was a bigger fan, I don't remember my dad caring about the Cubs that much. But my mom was always wearing her jersey and watching the sox games on TV. I'm glad I choose the right team!

Shoeless
06-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Here's a form for your friend to fill out to complete the transition from cubs fan to Sox Fan.

My friends will enjoy this.

SOXSINCE'70
06-14-2009, 07:19 PM
My father,to this day, still insists that it's OK to root for both teams.:scratch:

Since he lives just outside Philadelphia, I should ask if it's OK to root
for the Pirates and Phillies as well. :rolleyes:

Shoeless
06-14-2009, 07:23 PM
My father,to this day, still insists that it's OK to root for both teams.:scratch:

People root for the Pirates?

peridot
06-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I suspect being a Pirates fan is much like working in a sweat shop. You're never happy, but you don't really cry anymore. You just go through a numb life that is entirely based upon habit, repetition, and emptiness.

chisoxfanatic
06-14-2009, 07:41 PM

You're comparing apples to oranges there! The Sox and Cubs are in the SAME CITY! Meanwhile, the Pirates and Phillies are on opposite ends of their state! That would be like the only other team in Illinois being in Carbondale and asking someone if it was ok rooting for both.

Shoeless
06-14-2009, 07:58 PM
I suspect being a Pirates fan is much like working in a sweat shop. You're never happy, but you don't really cry anymore. You just go through a numb life that is entirely based upon habit, repetition, and emptiness.

Sort of like being a Cubs fan with less money and less :gulp::gulp::gulp:

parlaycard
06-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Sounds like some people need to adopt my family's rule.

You root for the Cubs. You find somewhere else to live.

Jim Shorts
06-15-2009, 11:26 AM

This is going to make for a good little office prank tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

I am going to keep printing that document to every printer in the office and just leave the copies there for people to "Find"

Thx for sharing.

ChiSoxFan81
06-15-2009, 11:28 AM
This is going to make for a good little office prank tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

I am going to keep printing that document to every printer in the office and just leave the copies there for people to "Find"

Thx for sharing.

There is an error on there, though. In 1989, the Cubs lost to the Giants, not the Braves. I believe they meant 1998.

asindc
06-15-2009, 12:23 PM
I switched once I realized what each team stood for--the Cubs caring more about selling their ballpark and experience than actually winning games on the field. Eventually it clicked for me that the Cubs were using WGN to hype themselves to tons of people around the world, and the Tribune ownership made a habit of building them up more than they deserved. The result was a team that sold out every game, and began to give off the impression that they didn't even care if they were good or not, as long as fans flocked to Wrigley Field every day--which, they ignorantly did.

At the same time, the Sox were putting together better seasons almost every year, and barely got any credit. I decided that I would rather watch a team that needed to win and be competetive in order to get fan support, as opposed to a team that could capitalize on their "ballpark experience" and overwhelming popularity nationwide.

Since 2004 and 2005, the culture of the Cubs has changed a bit. I think it's because they realized that, after lots of fans jumped ship, they were in danger of permanently losing ground unless they started winning, and thus the payroll shot up. Either way though, i'm glad I saw the light and made the switch. It shouldn't take Boston and the Sox winning championships in back to back years to make you realize, "hey, maybe we should try and win one too." Of all my grievances with the Cubs, that logic might be the most pathetic of all.

To the extent that they annoy me, this is reason ## 1, 2, and 3, with reason 4 being covered in my sig. I never understood the organization's apathy towards winning. Only the Clippers seemed to have the same perspective among major team sports franchises.

My Dad is a Cubs fan, but my brother and I became die-hard Sox fans when he took us to Comiskey instead of making the extra 30-45 minute drive to Wrigley each way from/to South Bend. I'm not a hater, mainly because of my Dad, but other family members do annoy me with their refusal to see the organization for what it is.

If your friend is serious, tell him to take the rest of the season off. If he feels the same way after the season is over, no matter the outcome, then I say help him embrace the righteous side.:smile:

beasly213
06-15-2009, 01:03 PM
If you want to switch sides... I'm kinda iffy about that. Mostly because I feel you should really stick with your team through good times and bad. I mean I actually became the biggest Sox fan during 1998-1999 because that's when I went to the most games.

The biggest problem I have with switching is you have to go all out and I'm not sure if everyone does. Take the guy who this thread is about, he just switched this past week. Let's say the Cubs win the World Series this year, you can't tell me he won't be right on board.

So if you're going to switch you have to go full out you can't go back to your previous team.

jdm2662
06-15-2009, 01:30 PM
I remember rooting for the Sox back in 85. How I became a Sox fan, I have no idea. I grew up in Hillside, so there was no north/side side ordeal. Most of my classmates were Cub fans, but most of the kids I played baseball with were Sox fans. My father also wasn't a huge baseball fan. He probably preferred the Sox, but didn't mind the Cubs. Cubs fans, however, different story. He hated them. Most of my family members are Sox fans, but my family is Bears first, and that hasn't changed. My brother became a Cub fan.

By 1994, however, my entire family pretty much blackballed baseball after that bull **** strike. Baseball season didn't even exist for me. I refused to watch any of it, and paid no attention to it what so ever. And no, not even the so called homerun race in 1998 saved me. Besides, the Bulls kept me busy until the end of June anyway. By 1999, I started to watch maybe a little Sox. What I found annoying is all the cute and cuddley Cub stuff that was going on. This was despite the fact by June, the Sox had a better record than the Cubs. I think this slowly but surely got me back into the Sox. It also did help most of my close friends were huge Sox fans. By 2000, I was back, and my brother picked up on the Sox as well.

As for bandwagon jumping, I hate it, but you are entitled to root for any team you want. What I find annoyying is that, how can you not root for those cute and cuddley Cubbies???? It's why I hate getting involved in stupid fan talk. I root for my team. If you root for anyone else, great. I don't care.

white sox bill
06-15-2009, 01:44 PM
I must be one of the few here that actually can point out a few things about Wrigley, both asset and liability. This I tell cub fans quite often and actually they do agree w/me from time to time.

I tell them that I've always had fun at Wrigley, that its a fun neighborhood with great post-game festivities. If I want to party, I'll go to Wrigley, soak up the rays and girl watch or whatever. But I also point out that despite all the above, its a antiquated old stadium that has more deferred maintenance than a 75 Gremlin and is in dire need of repair or replacing.

Then I go on to the laurels of The Cell (we all know what they are) and if I'm in the baseball mood, that's where I'll be and so on.

You see, you can disagree w/o being disagreeable.

Hitmen77
06-15-2009, 02:02 PM

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who switched from Sox to Cubs since Oct. 2005.

But I would hazard to guess that most of the allegience switching between 1982 and the 2003 Cubs playoff meltdown was Sox to Cubs. I remember that sometime shortly after the 1997 White Flag Trade, the Tribune (gloatingly?) had an article on the front page of their sports section featuring a bunch of people who used to be Sox fans who now had switched to the Cubs.

For the record, I hope every one those people from that article who "turned to the dark side" felt like total jackasses on Oct. 26, 2005.:cool:

Jim Shorts
06-15-2009, 02:08 PM
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who switched from Sox to Cubs since Oct. 2005.

But I would hazard to guess that most of the allegience switching between 1982 and the 2003 Cubs playoff meltdown was Sox to Cubs. I remember that sometime shortly after the 1997 White Flag Trade, the Tribune (gloatingly?) had an article on the front page of their sports section featuring a bunch of people who used to be Sox fans who now had switched to the Cubs.

For the record, I hope every one those people from that article who "turned to the dark side" felt like total jackasses on Oct. 26, 2005.:cool:

I'd guess a large percentage of those you mentioned, switched back right about the time we won the pennant.

Hitmen77
06-15-2009, 02:09 PM
If you want to switch sides... I'm kinda iffy about that. Mostly because I feel you should really stick with your team through good times and bad. I mean I actually became the biggest Sox fan during 1998-1999 because that's when I went to the most games.

The biggest problem I have with switching is you have to go all out and I'm not sure if everyone does. Take the guy who this thread is about, he just switched this past week. Let's say the Cubs win the World Series this year, you can't tell me he won't be right on board.

So if you're going to switch you have to go full out you can't go back to your previous team.

It sounds like most of the examples on this thread of people switching sides are of people who did so before they reached adulthood.

I wouldn't be surprised if most people who switched sides as adults did so because their significant other was such a huge fan of the other team.

Moses_Scurry
06-15-2009, 03:40 PM
I've never disliked the Sox at all, but I did like both teams when I was a kid. In the summers of '82 and '83 (I was 9 and 10 respectively) I watched almost every home cub game on WGN. I also rooted for the Sox, but had to do it through updates from my Dad. We actually attended the '83 clincher against Seattle as our one Sox game that year, AND we attended a cub game that year (I requested it. My Dad hated the cubs).

In 1984, I rooted hard for the cubs and was crushed. By 1986, I was a full-fledged cub hater. I don't know what pushed me that far across the spectrum. I think it was because I always liked the Sox more than the cubs, and my 95% cub fan class picked on me so much for it that I wanted them to suffer an eternity of 60-70 win seasons and 5th or worse place finishes.

35th&Shields
06-15-2009, 05:11 PM

Thats pathetic.

After the strike in '94 and the White Flag trade, my White Sox faith was deeply challenged. I more stopped really loving baseball than anything else, though. I never considered switching teams, but I do understand how you can get to the point of saying "enough is enough."

I welcome converts if, after careful deliberation, they do not want to root for their prior team, whether it be the Cubs or otherwise.

MARTINMVP
07-16-2009, 11:20 AM
I grew up a Cub fan as a kid in the early 90's. We didn't have cable, so during the summer days when I wasn't out, I'd watch them on WGN.

I began to get a sour taste towards them in 2004, when Dusty, Moises Alou and others were sensitive of the announcers, particularly Steve Stone, to the point where it forced Stone away from the team. The team blew it in the standings that year, and they placed their worries on an announcer.

I was never a White Sox hater, but I was always apathetic towards them, except in the 2005 postseason, where I did watch, support and cheer them. When they won, I didn't dance in the street or celebrate. I was happy for them and that was that.

After 2006, I grew apathetic to the Cubs and sports in general. I was a baseball fan first, and I just began to care less. It just happened, not because of 2004, but just in general. I can take the losing. I was watching hardly any games, and eventually, just stopped watching throughout 2007 and 2008. I maybe watched two or three ball games, total each of those two years (and I did not watch one post season Cubs game since 2003).

I don't feel the passion of other Cub fans. I'm not into the "Cubby blue" and Wrigley Field. I like the Cell a lot better, the few times that I've been there (been to Sox park maybe 6 times in my life, Wrigely 3 or 4).

I'm at the point now, where I do miss baseball. I did watch the All-Star game on Tuesday, hoping that seeing the best in both leagues would peek my interest. The game was dull, but I felt some excitement which gives me hope. I hate this years Cubs team. I'm not familiar with the Sox, but I am open to the idea of watching a few games and seeing if I feel any excitement. If I do, perhaps I can develop a connection with the Sox. We shall see, I guess...

SoxGirl4Life
07-16-2009, 11:41 AM
I grew up a Cub fan as a kid in the early 90's. We didn't have cable, so during the summer days when I wasn't out, I'd watch them on WGN.

I began to get a sour taste towards them in 2004, when Dusty, Moises Alou and others were sensitive of the announcers, particularly Steve Stone, to the point where it forced Stone away from the team. The team blew it in the standings that year, and they placed their worries on an announcer.

I was never a White Sox hater, but I was always apathetic towards them, except in the 2005 postseason, where I did watch, support and cheer them. When they won, I didn't dance in the street or celebrate. I was happy for them and that was that.

After 2006, I grew apathetic to the Cubs and sports in general. I was a baseball fan first, and I just began to care less. It just happened, not because of 2004, but just in general. I can take the losing. I was watching hardly any games, and eventually, just stopped watching throughout 2007 and 2008. I maybe watched two or three ball games, total each of those two years (and I did not watch one post season Cubs game since 2003).

I don't feel the passion of other Cub fans. I'm not into the "Cubby blue" and Wrigley Field. I like the Cell a lot better, the few times that I've been there (been to Sox park maybe 6 times in my life, Wrigely 3 or 4).

I'm at the point now, where I do miss baseball. I did watch the All-Star game on Tuesday, hoping that seeing the best in both leagues would peek my interest. The game was dull, but I felt some excitement which gives me hope. I hate this years Cubs team. I'm not familiar with the Sox, but I am open to the idea of watching a few games and seeing if I feel any excitement. If I do, perhaps I can develop a connection with the Sox. We shall see, I guess...

I'm sorry the Cubs sucked the joy out of baseball for you. I can honestly say, no matter how bad the Sox have been in some seasons, I've always enjoyed watching them.

You're more than welcome to hang around. We like knowledgable, critically-thinking baseball fans!

TDog
07-16-2009, 12:01 PM
You're comparing apples to oranges there! The Sox and Cubs are in the SAME CITY! Meanwhile, the Pirates and Phillies are on opposite ends of their state! That would be like the only other team in Illinois being in Carbondale and asking someone if it was ok rooting for both.

If you're in Carbondale, you could be a Cubs and Sox fan, but you couldn't be a Cardinals and Cubs fan. Many people find it easy to be fans of both teams in a city if they are teams in different leagues. Being a fan of two rivals teams (although the Pirates and Phillies aren't in the same division anymore) is more difficult.

In the Bay Area, you find people who claim to be Giants and A's fans, but you see real hatred between Giants and Dodgers fans. As I understand it, in the early years of interleague play, they would sell double caps with both the Giants and A's logos. Likewise, in the Southland you have Dodgers and Angels fans, but you don't have Angels/A's fans. You also don't see Padres fans rooting for the Dodgers. Of course, California didn't have any major League baseball until the 1950s, and didn't get American League baseball until the 1960s. Chicago has had two teams since the modern era of baseball dawned.

I've never lived in New York and can't speak to the Yankees-Mets thing. But there is a different dynamic in play. Many previous generation Giants and Dodgers fans blamed the Yankees for robbing them of their teams in the 1950s and hold a grudge against the Yankees through their expansion Mets team. You probably see some fan hatred there.

The Sox-Cubs dynamic is probably unique to Chicago and something people who have never lived in Chicago can't fully appreciate.

Railsplitter
07-16-2009, 12:15 PM
All those who see the light are welcome here.

asindc
07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
If you're in Carbondale, you could be a Cubs and Sox fan, but you couldn't be a Cardinals and Cubs fan. Many people find it easy to be fans of both teams in a city if they are teams in different leagues. Being a fan of two rivals teams (although the Pirates and Phillies aren't in the same division anymore) is more difficult.

In the Bay Area, you find people who claim to be Giants and A's fans, but you see real hatred between Giants and Dodgers fans. As I understand it, in the early years of interleague play, they would sell double caps with both the Giants and A's logos. Likewise, in the Southland you have Dodgers and Angels fans, but you don't have Angels/A's fans. You also don't see Padres fans rooting for the Dodgers. Of course, California didn't have any major League baseball until the 1950s, and didn't get American League baseball until the 1960s. Chicago has had two teams since the modern era of baseball dawned.

I've never lived in New York and can't speak to the Yankees-Mets thing. But there is a different dynamic in play. Many previous generation Giants and Dodgers fans blamed the Yankees for robbing them of their teams in the 1950s and hold a grudge against the Yankees through their expansion Mets team. You probably see some fan hatred there.

The Sox-Cubs dynamic is probably unique to Chicago and something people who have never lived in Chicago can't fully appreciate.

Having lived on the East Coast for over 20 years now, I think this is true. The Mets-Yanks dynamic is mostly from the Mets side for the reasons you mentioned, and that most Mets fans are (or are the children of) former Giants and, especially, Dodgers fans. The Phils-Pirates rivalry is mostly about the Philly area-Western PA rivalry. There is virtually no real rivalry between the Nats and O's (for obvious reasons), other than the natural civic rivalry that's similar to the Philly-Western PA feud.

Even in LA, most Dodgers and Angels fans don't seem to think of the other team as rivals, except in a friendly way.

The Chicago baseball rivalry is unique because it is the longest-standing rivalry in American professional sports, by far, and each team is truly identified by the side of town it plays on.

russ99
07-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I've never disliked the Sox at all, but I did like both teams when I was a kid. In the summers of '82 and '83 (I was 9 and 10 respectively) I watched almost every home cub game on WGN. I also rooted for the Sox, but had to do it through updates from my Dad. We actually attended the '83 clincher against Seattle as our one Sox game that year, AND we attended a cub game that year (I requested it. My Dad hated the cubs).

In 1984, I rooted hard for the cubs and was crushed. By 1986, I was a full-fledged cub hater. I don't know what pushed me that far across the spectrum. I think it was because I always liked the Sox more than the cubs, and my 95% cub fan class picked on me so much for it that I wanted them to suffer an eternity of 60-70 win seasons and 5th or worse place finishes.

I really think when you're a kid, it's different. I was always a Sox fan, since one of my earliest memories was being in the LF upper deck at Comiskey. But I also followed the Cubs too, and it was hard not to if you were a baseball-crazy kid.

When you grow up you realize why people that follow other teams do so, and frankly some of the reasons for the Cubs (at least some of the more fair-weather Cubs fans) are plain idiotic. And besides, I held a grudge for years after the Cubs got Harry, not knowing the full disdain towards him by current Sox ownership at the time.

While it was touchy for the majority of the 80s and 90s, I've always been a Sox fan. I may have tuned out a bit when they were at an epic level of bad and followed my second favorite team (Astros) a bit more, but the Sox are always my first choice.

Any new converts are certainly welcome. But the only thing that bugs me is when people say they cheer for both teams, which is untrue unless you're a kid. There's always a preference.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-16-2009, 05:38 PM
I grew up in central Illinois...surrounded by Cubs fans (with a few Cardinals fans mixed in). My dad was really the only Sox fan that I knew of and I, of course, grew to be one as well. I was a HUGE Frank Thomas fan, and my brother was a big Magglio fan. I converted my best friend into a Sox fan by taking him to games when we were kids.

I don't root for both teams, but I don't "hate" the Cubs. I really, really dislike some of their fans, though. Oh, and really don't like Jim Hendry. I think he is a terrible GM. If the Cubs don't win the WS this year (which they won't!), his moves are going to haunt this team for several years to come.

I do actually follow the Cubs by listening to 670 The Score, and I've found that I know more about Cub baseball than most Cubs fans I know. Has anyone else found that to be true? I laugh when Cubs "fans" that use Wrigley Field as a bar a few times a year say something utterly moronic about the ballclub. Sometimes I will correct them, but mostly I just laugh. :D:

DSpivack
07-16-2009, 06:49 PM
I grew up in central Illinois...surrounded by Cubs fans (with a few Cardinals fans mixed in). My dad was really the only Sox fan that I knew of and I, of course, grew to be one as well. I was a HUGE Frank Thomas fan, and my brother was a big Magglio fan. I converted my best friend into a Sox fan by taking him to games when we were kids.

I don't root for both teams, but I don't "hate" the Cubs. I really, really dislike some of their fans, though. Oh, and really don't like Jim Hendry. I think he is a terrible GM. If the Cubs don't win the WS this year (which they won't!), his moves are going to haunt this team for several years to come.

I do actually follow the Cubs by listening to 670 The Score, and I've found that I know more about Cub baseball than most Cubs fans I know. Has anyone else found that to be true? I laugh when Cubs "fans" that use Wrigley Field as a bar a few times a year say something utterly moronic about the ballclub. Sometimes I will correct them, but mostly I just laugh. :D:

Having grown up in a mostly Cub fan family, and surrounded by mostly Cub fans in Evanston, I made sure I knew about them growing up.

Going away to college and the last few years, however, I don't really follow them as much.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Having grown up in a mostly Cub fan family, and surrounded by mostly Cub fans in Evanston, I made sure I knew about them growing up.

Going away to college and the last few years, however, I don't really follow them as much.

My point is that I follow them just by listening to sports radio, and I know MORE about the team than most of my Cub fan friends. And, I defintely know more about the team than the kids my age that go to Wrigley field just to drink and who happen to be wearing a Cubs shirt. Or, wait...isn't that the cool thing to do?

gaelhound
07-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I fully converted at the age of 9 with the help of a senile old man decked out in Cubs gear at Lincoln Park Zoo. It was terrifying that an old man would yell such terrible things to a child for wearing a White Sox hat. Needless to say it was a blessing in disguise. Thanks creepy old man.:D:
I was at the Madison mallards Northwest leauge game thursday night. I was bringing a delicious Land Shark lager back to my seat and a guy leaned over the rail and announced to me that the SOX SUCK. I was wearing a Sox hat. As there is a general animosity in Wisconsin for all things Chicago I did not make much of it. Later the beerman, who it turns out is a Sox fan, complimented my choice of teams and headgear. Wear the colors and be secure in the knowledge that you are part of a Loyal and knowledgeable fan dom. The beerman could't move his Budweiser lime as it was about 60 degrees out so he gave me one. Tasted like a bad burp with citrus after taste but he meant well.

MARTINMVP
07-19-2009, 08:22 PM
My friends who are Sox fans always seem to have more fun and care more about the game of baseball then my Cub fan friends. Not saying Cub fans are bad baseball fans, but I just know more Sox fans to be more into the game rather than the stigma of their team and ballpark.

I don't hate the Cubs, but they were the team I grew up rooting for and eventually got me tired of baseball and sports alltogether. Maybe my apathy for sports went beyond any apathy I had towards the Cubs, but all I know is, I realized a few weeks ago that I missed watching baseball games on TV (especially night games... don't ask me why, I just enjoy watching baseball at night more I guess) and it was a Sox game I turned on, and it felt like I was starting fresh.

I don't love the Sox... it has to come with time, and I don't know that I will. But I am keeping my options open, you know? I could go back with the Cubs, but I won't bet on it. Deep down, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Cardinals, which makes absolutely no sense. I could wind up as a Sox and a Cards fan and really piss over the Cubs.